Khalil Mack watch

PromoTheRobot

The potential selection of Mack as the Bills #1 is interesting to talk about. First of all, if he is there when they pcik, they will have considered this seriously, he is the real deal. However, other factors come into play. First of all, Jerry Hughes has played very well for the Bills...6 sacks I think so far.....and Jerry is a former Indy #1 pick, and has one year left on his contract. I am thinking if they get a deal done with Jerry, that picking Mack is unlikely. However, if they think Jerry Hughes will be to expensive (yeh), they might pick Mack because he can do many of the same things (or more actually) So, I think that is part of the calculus in the potential Mack selection by the Bills. Many on this board saying the Bills need a pass rushing LB....folks....already got a prettty good one via a trade giving up Shepard. (good trade for Bills for sure)

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When you see how disruptive Von Miller of the Broncos is...it really makes me root for Mack to get drafted by the Bills. You would hope the Buffalo staff is more acquainted with Khalil Mack than any other team since UB practices in the Ralph Wilson Field house on occassion. If the Bills take a Tight End in the 1st round over Mack i would be pissed. A stud play making LB is way more coveted in my opinion. I think Mack is bust proof. His game will translate to the NFL.

While Mack is obviously a fan favorite because he's local, I would honestly be happy with any of the top LB candidates. The question will be whether a mid-major player will rank out ahead of the likes of Anthony Barr, CJ Mosely, or even Ryan Shazier. I would also concur with bigK's comments regarding Hughes. I seriously doubt that the Bills will be looking for a pass rushing LB considering what Hughes has done this season. I know this thread in general is about Mack, but would throw out a question for the board. If Mack were available in the first round, would people really want to see him drafted ahead of offensive line? My strategy (should I be supreme ruler) would be to target best OT/OG in the first and then consider the less heralded Alabama LB in Adrian Hubbard or similar in the second.

I might be wrong...I'm sure I am...but the MAC is a weak conference. I mean can Mack play with the big boys?

Ive watched him twice...he's not bad, but Idk much about him...

The MAC has been awesome this year. 5 teams 7-4 or better. The conference has always produced big time talent: Eric Fisher (#1 overall pick this year), Big Ben, Greg Jennings, Antonio Brown, Julian Edelman, James Harrison, Antonio Gates, Jason Babin, Joe Staley, etc. http://www.hustlebelt.com/2013/9/5/4698282/mac-players-in-the-nfl-a-rundown Very sneaky good conference.

Mack is the real deal. He has great speed, plus Von Miller-like ability to stop on a dime and accelerate sideways, which allows him to dip under the tackle and get to the QB. He's also great against the run - better than Miller was coming out of college (although Miller has improved that part of his game tremendously). Honestly we would be talking about Mack to the Bills even if he played somewhere other than U.B. And you can never have too many playmakers in the front seven - I agree with the poster who said that Hughes has come on, and he has, but if you have a chance to take a guy like Mack you do it, and leave it to Pettine to find a way to get everyone on the field.

Yes we need a TE, OG, tall WR, and another CB - but you can grab those guys later on in the draft. With a top ten pick, it's time to take the playmaking passrusher that will lift this defense from very good to dominant.

Mack is the real deal. He has great speed, plus Von Miller-like ability to stop on a dime and accelerate sideways, which allows him to dip under the tackle and get to the QB. He's also great against the run - better than Miller was coming out of college (although Miller has improved that part of his game tremendously). Honestly we would be talking about Mack to the Bills even if he played somewhere other than U.B. And you can never have too many playmakers in the front seven - I agree with the poster who said that Hughes has come on, and he has, but if you have a chance to take a guy like Mack you do it, and leave it to Pettine to find a way to get everyone on the field.

Yes we need a TE, OG, tall WR, and another CB - but you can grab those guys later on in the draft. With a top ten pick, it's time to take the playmaking passrusher that will lift this defense from very good to dominant.

I honestly don't understand why people think the Bills need a TE. Chandler is not at the tail end of his career and has been more than serviceable. In addition to Chandler, they already have 2 more guys on the roster (Gragg, Lee). The Bills just don't use a TE like some other teams (NO, etc.). To put it in perspective, TE's have been targeted 73 times in the passing game by Buffalo. Buffalo has thrown the ball 379 times and ran it 363 times. That means the TE is only 9.8% of the offense. Compare them to a Saints team that targeted TE's 128 times. That's 128 times on 439 pass plays with 277 runs. That's 17.9% of their offense. Sorry to say, but TE just isn't a priority for the offensive system they're running.

In terms of playmaking pass rushers, the Bills are already loaded. They lead the league in sacks and as a result of pressure, interceptions. What more do you want? Making the argument that they should just take a good pass rusher "just because" is like saying they should take the top RB if they're available in the first round because you can never have too many scoring threats on offense. It doesn't make any sense. Mack's talent does extend well beyond rushing the passer, but I would stick to my conviction that they need to address other parts of this team first. Productivity in the running game is down 18% from the prior year. That's just too much.

I honestly don't understand why people think the Bills need a TE. Chandler is not at the tail end of his career and has been more than serviceable. In addition to Chandler, they already have 2 more guys on the roster (Gragg, Lee). The Bills just don't use a TE like some other teams (NO, etc.). To put it in perspective, TE's have been targeted 73 times in the passing game by Buffalo. Buffalo has thrown the ball 379 times and ran it 363 times. That means the TE is only 9.8% of the offense. Compare them to a Saints team that targeted TE's 128 times. That's 128 times on 439 pass plays with 277 runs. That's 17.9% of their offense. Sorry to say, but TE just isn't a priority for the offensive system they're running.

In terms of playmaking pass rushers, the Bills are already loaded. They lead the league in sacks and as a result of pressure, interceptions. What more do you want? Making the argument that they should just take a good pass rusher "just because" is like saying they should take the top RB if they're available in the first round because you can never have too many scoring threats on offense. It doesn't make any sense. Mack's talent does extend well beyond rushing the passer, but I would stick to my conviction that they need to address other parts of this team first. Productivity in the running game is down 18% from the prior year. That's just too much.

Your TE argument has a serious chicken-egg problem. You point to the fact that the Bills rarely throw to a TE as evidence that they do not need one. I look at those same stats and reach the opposite conclusion. The Bills desperately need one. They have two speedster WRs who clear out the middle of the field and a young QB who could use a security blanket, especially on third down. They don't have a TE who can take advantage of the open space over the middle or make plays with the ball in his hands (or block, for that matter). The Bills absolutely, desperately could use a TE to get this offense in gear.

As for Mack, yes Pettine has been able to produce a high number of sacks with the players he has. But again, that doesn't mean they have no room for another playmaker in the front seven. You can't go wrong as a franchise by drafting lots of high-impact front seven players. The Giants have been doing it for years and it works. Mack would great yet another matchup nightmare for opposing offenses.

Mack will be gone by the time Buffalo drafts IMO.

TE is a need for sure. But a LG is even a higher priority

As of this week the Bills draft #10

Houston-QB Bridgewater

Jacksonville-QB Mariota

Atlanta- DE Jadeveon Clowney or OT Jake Matthews, the bigger need in my view is to protect the QB. If Clowney is still there I can't see them passing him up.

Minnesota-QB Manziel or Carr

St Louis-OT

Tampa Bay-OT or LBer

Oakland QB or WR , QB Hundley

Cleveland QB or OT, QB Mettenburger / Tajh Boyd

NY Giants OLB Mack

Buffalo...I suppose this pick will highly depend on if the Bills intend to sign Byrd or franchise him again. I could see Mack, CJ Mosley or even an OT going here depending on who is available.

The QB's always move up higher then they should and so many in the top ten are looking to upgrade

Because you just don't pass up on a talent like Mack! Linemen can be found later in the draft or FA, game changers are rarely found that way.

While Mack is obviously a fan favorite because he's local, I would honestly be happy with any of the top LB candidates. The question will be whether a mid-major player will rank out ahead of the likes of Anthony Barr, CJ Mosely, or even Ryan Shazier. I would also concur with bigK's comments regarding Hughes. I seriously doubt that the Bills will be looking for a pass rushing LB considering what Hughes has done this season. I know this thread in general is about Mack, but would throw out a question for the board. If Mack were available in the first round, would people really want to see him drafted ahead of offensive line? My strategy (should I be supreme ruler) would be to target best OT/OG in the first and then consider the less heralded Alabama LB in Adrian Hubbard or similar in the second.

No thanks on Shazier. I have watched every one of his snaps since he was a freshman. Too undersized unless you want to move him to SS. Best OSU prospect this year is OT Jack Mewhort. He can play Guard too - very good player. Love Mosely and not just because we need more "J" names, lol. Edited by YoloInTheBlo

Your point about the need at TE is valid in my opinion. Because we have Chandler, TE is not a desperate need. But your argument that the Bills don't use a TE like other teams do is, in my opinion, bogus. If they had a Gronk, I'm really, really quite sure they'd use him a whole lot.

Mack, seems to me, is much more than just a pass rusher. He's a three down player with exceptional ability vs. the run and the pass. The Bills have Lawson and Alonzo. Who is their third LB? Unless you think Bradham or Moats will develop, Buffalo has a need for another OLB. Hughes? The Bills use him as a situational rush DE.

Honestly we would be talking about Mack to the Bills even if he played somewhere other than U.B.

Really? Like if he played at Ball State, Akron, UMAss, or Toledo there would be threads dedicated to this kid her on TSW? I don't believe that.

I honestly don't understand why people think the Bills need a TE. Chandler is not at the tail end of his career and has been more than serviceable. In addition to Chandler, they already have 2 more guys on the roster (Gragg, Lee). The Bills just don't use a TE like some other teams (NO, etc.).

The reason the Bills don't use a TE much in the offense is because of the TE's on the roster. Chandler is more than servicable. OK.... And true, there are actually 2 other guys on the roster under "TE" (Lee looks and plays like a fan who won a contest). It's time the Bills drafted an athletic TE who is a receiving threat (a real one, a legit part of the offense).

Edited by Mr. WEO

Your point about the need at TE is valid in my opinion. Because we have Chandler, TE is not a desperate need. But your argument that the Bills don't use a TE like other teams do is, in my opinion, bogus. If they had a Gronk, I'm really, really quite sure they'd use him a whole lot.

Mack, seems to me, is much more than just a pass rusher. He's a three down player with exceptional ability vs. the run and the pass. The Bills have Lawson and Alonzo. Who is their third LB? Unless you think Bradham or Moats will develop, Buffalo has a need for another OLB. Hughes? The Bills use him as a situational rush DE.

Hughes is a FA as well... not sure about Lawson. I think we need to upgrade where Moats and Bradham are concerned.

As for Mack, yes Pettine has been able to produce a high number of sacks with the players he has. But again, that doesn't mean they have no room for another playmaker in the front seven. You can't go wrong as a franchise by drafting lots of high-impact front seven players. The Giants have been doing it for years and it works. Mack would great yet another matchup nightmare for opposing offenses.

Agree 100%.

As a UB grad, I would obviously love to see Khalil Mack stay in town and wreak some havoc on opposing QBs that face the Bills. Versatile LBs who can rush the passer are lethal weapons for any DC who knows what they are doing, and by all indications, Pettine is one of those guys.

#46 already owns the NCAA record for forced fumbles, and with 2+ more games left ... needs just 2.5 more tackles for loss to also outpace anyone who has EVER played college football.

Let that sink in for a second.

This is not an undersized Aaron Maybin emerging after a good senior year. This is a guy who was in full beast mode from the first game of his freshman year, and is now a 240+ lb gazelle who can do it all - and was dominant against nearly all he that faced.

We shall see if he truly projects to be picked around the timeframe of Bills 1st rounder in 2014 ... but a player like this is probably our best bet to make the most immediate impact next season. A dominating defense with depth at key spots will rarely (if ever) lay an egg, and we are not very far off from having one that can be described as such.

Mack has 2 or 3 more chances to impress (Bowling Green this Friday at RWS, possible MAC Championship game and a Bowl game). He will also have the Senior Bowl week & game plus all the combine stuff. If he displays more dominance against the higher level talent (Bowling Green is ranked in the high 40's, NIU around 14)... he could go in the Top 5. You just never know.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/q-buffalo-bulls-lb-khalil-mack-170100233--ncaaf.html

INTERVIEWER: It's obviously way too early to even speculate, but there are people out there who do it, so let's talk about it -- I've seen a few mock drafts that have you going to the Bills.

KM: [Laughs] Man … that would be a miracle. But I've seen it. I thought Steve [Means] was going to get picked by the Bills, for sure. And then you have Naaman, who went to the Bills as an undrafted free agent. I've seen it. It would be a lot of fun and definitely a blessing.

Ok...I apologize...I just dont watch enough college ball to judge talent.

When is UBs next game?

No worries. There's a game against Bowling Green this Saturday at the Ralph. 2 8-3 teams playing for the division and a berth in the title game. Hopefully the Ralph will be rocking because these kids deserve it. Pretty much the most high level game since 2004.

No worries. There's a game against Bowling Green this Saturday at the Ralph. 2 8-3 teams playing for the division and a berth in the title game. Hopefully the Ralph will be rocking because these kids deserve it. Pretty much the most high level game since 2004.

Is that one on TV? Pretty sweet that it is at the Ralph. Edited by YoloInTheBlo

Is that one on TV? Pretty sweet that it is at the Ralph.

ESPNU 1:30pm Friday. UB ticket office said 24,000 sold as of last Tuesday with another 7,000 student/promo tickets distributed. 30K would set a school attendance record.

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

I like Mac a lot but we could also grab shayne skov or Michael sams later on to try and pick up a bigger need in the first.

If Sam makes it to Rd 2 that would be awesome, something tells me though that come draft time he will be a top 15 pick....dude is a monster.

He's a great player, no doubt, but there will be players available of his caliber that pose less of a risk. By this, I mean, players who regularly played against better teams and better OLs. That's not to say KM is less of a player, but some GMs may be scared of his pedigree and play it safe with someone from a tougher division. If that's the case and he falls to the Bills, than that's great for us.

@BuckyBrooks

If you're not out braving the crowds in Black Friday, check out U of Buffalo LB Khalil Mack vs. Bowling Green in a MAC battle.

Mack is one of the most disruptive defenders in CFB. 16.5 TFL, 10.5 sacks & 5 FF in 11 games; 16 forced fumbles in career #NFLDraft

Mack is an explosive sideline-to-sideline defender. Great speed & burst; great instincts & awareness; good in coverage or as a rusher

Khalil Mack Named MAC Defensive Player of the Year

khalil.jpg

University at Buffalo linebacker Khalil Mack was named the Mid-American Conference Defensive Player of the Year on Wednesday the conference announced.

The senior linebacker headlined a school-record seven players named to the All-MAC team.

Mack is the first player in school history to be named MAC Defensive Player of the Year.

The Fort Pierce, FL native leads the conference in sacks with 10.5 and tackles for loss with 19 to go along with team-best 94 tackles.

Mack also leads the team with three interceptions and five forced fumbles.

He has broken the NCAA record for career forced fumbles with 16 and tied the NCAA mark with 75 career tackles for loss.

Watched Bulls twice and really don't see this elite player in Mack, I'd be very leery of taking him in the first.

Not to make excuses but the other teams in the MAC go out of their way to steer the plays away from Mack (and yet he still racks up big numbers). The talent dropoff is pretty huge from Mack to the other LB's at UB so there's no use running plays at him. In the NFL teams won't be doing that. He will definitely be productive at the NFL level, there's no question about it.

Edited by zow2

Not to make excuses but the other teams in the MAC go out of their way to steer the plays away from Mack (and yet he still racks up big numbers). The talent dropoff is pretty huge from Mack to the other LB's at UB so there's no use running plays at him. In the NFL teams won't be doing that. He will definitely be productive at the NFL level, there's no question about it.

hopefully

• 2 weeks later...
This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.