So long Brandon Burton

GG

Interesting. Where is Redmond, and who is this Wingo guy. Cool name, anyone know why kind of RB he is. Hopefully Summers gets the ball more. Guy can maul people over.

Yes, that, sir. He just trucks people. He must be the bizarro Mensa because of all the touches he doesn't get

Edited by bobblehead

The most interesting story wit hthe most info on him that I could find is here:

http://www.turfshowtimes.com/2013/4/23/4256704/2013-nfl-draft-rams-interested-in-arkansas-rb-ronnie-wingo

Most draft sites listed him as a FB fromwhat I can see. Apparently a good receiver who ran a good time for his size at his pro day but was 3rd string and only touched the ball 12 times his senior year. Measurables are great but couldn't see to put it together at Arky.

Believe it or not, it's because Rogers is probably a lot better.

Rogers is unfairly judged. He is a 4th string CB; he should be judged as such, not based on being forced to be a 1st stringer.

Here me now, believe me later: Rogers (so far) is on the exact same development trajectory as Jabari Greer was.

The most interesting story wit hthe most info on him that I could find is here:

http://www.turfshowtimes.com/2013/4/23/4256704/2013-nfl-draft-rams-interested-in-arkansas-rb-ronnie-wingo

Most draft sites listed him as a FB fromwhat I can see. Apparently a good receiver who ran a good time for his size at his pro day but was 3rd string and only touched the ball 12 times his senior year. Measurables are great but couldn't see to put it together at Arky.

Despite his impressive measurables the book on him is that he goes down immediately following the first contact.

Here me now, believe me later: Rogers (so far) is on the exact same development trajectory as Jabari Greer was.

That is actually a really good comparison. They are pretty similar body types, speed, etc too.

I just hope Rogers can recover mentally from what he's been through. Greer was eased into things, not thrown into the fire.

This is Rogers' third year, by that time, Greer was already established as the slot CB. He also showed promise from his first day in camp. Rogers, not so much in either category. I'll make an argument that Ellis Lankster should have been kept over Rogers back in the day.

Can we move this over to the player I was most wrong about thread?

This is Rogers' third year, by that time, Greer was already established as the slot CB. He also showed promise from his first day in camp. Rogers, not so much in either category. I'll make an argument that Ellis Lankster should have been kept over Rogers back in the day.

I never understood why they cut Lankster. Ton or promise, and a really good return guy too, if I recall. I felt the same about Eric King a few years ago, who went on to play well for the Titans.

I always felt that our coaches here didn't do a good job of evaluating DB talent. Even Greer, for example, many on this board (myself included) were begging for him to get playing time for years. I think FA losses and injuries finally forced the Bills to play him, and then they realized he was really good, at which point he promptly left.

Established as the slot CB? In 2006? If so, then he was established as a lousy one. He wasn't good until his last year in Buffalo (2008). Prior to that, he was a reliable liability. Revisionist history on this guy has been outstanding.

I think this means, if Wingo is active, Summers will tote the ball more ofren and Wingo will be in at FB.

Wingo is freaking 6-3 231 - So Thats a whole lotta of back coming through the hole if Summers is behind him.

Edited by Why So Serious?

Established as the slot CB? In 2006? If so, then he was established as a lousy one. He wasn't good until his last year in Buffalo (2008). Prior to that, he was a reliable liability. Revisionist history on this guy has been outstanding.

Check this out.

A thread I started on March 14, 2007 (in which you posted too). Kind of funny how some folks thought Youboty was going to be the better option over Greer:

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/61440-early-cornerback-prediction/

"Jabari Greer.

Mark it down.

The guy has great instincts and cover skills, while maybe lacking in speed and size. But he's a guy who I can see doing better as a starting CB than a nickel or dime CB, esp. in a cover 2. I think Kiwaukee stays as nickel, Youboty is the dime, and Greer logs most of the snaps as our #2 CB."

Check this out.

A thread I started on March 14, 2007 (in which you posted too). Kind of funny how some folks thought Youboty was going to be the better option over Greer:

http://forums.twobil...ack-prediction/

"Jabari Greer.

Mark it down.

The guy has great instincts and cover skills, while maybe lacking in speed and size. But he's a guy who I can see doing better as a starting CB than a nickel or dime CB, esp. in a cover 2. I think Kiwaukee stays as nickel, Youboty is the dime, and Greer logs most of the snaps as our #2 CB."

Yeesh. Thanks for that. But seriously, thanks. It more than verifies my claims of revisionism WRT to Jabari Greer pre-2008.

Considering what Lankster has gone on to become - that's probably the case.

In fairness, though, Lankster was cut at the end of his sophomore camp in 2010 - and then spent that year in the CFL. So hardly an egregious gaffe in letting him go.

Justin Rogers' rooke year was 2011.

JDG

Yeesh. Thanks for that. But seriously, thanks. It more than verifies my claims of revisionism WRT to Jabari Greer pre-2008.

Pre-2008? He was a starter in 2007 and a key player in 2006. There were certainly more questions about why the guy wasn't elevated above the drafted players sooner. Can't say the same about Rogers at the same spans of their careers.

Considering what Lankster has gone on to become - that's probably the case.

In fairness, though, Lankster was cut at the end of his sophomore camp in 2010 - and then spent that year in the CFL. So hardly an egregious gaffe in letting him go.

Justin Rogers' rooke year was 2011.

JDG

What the?

There used to be a poster here centuries ago, who used a JDG name.

What's next, a Kultarr appearance?

Pre-2008? He was a starter in 2007 and a key player in 2006. There were certainly more questions about why the guy wasn't elevated above the drafted players sooner. Can't say the same about Rogers at the same spans of their careers.

What the?

There used to be a poster here centuries ago, who used a JDG name.

What's next, a Kultarr appearance?

So then you didn't read what people wrote about him in 2007 and are just going by [flawed] memory. Got it.

Read the thread. Ashton Youboty--who didn't play a lick in his rookie season--was expected to beat Greer out for a spot in 2007.

So then you didn't read what people wrote about him in 2007 and are just going by [flawed] memory. Got it.

Read the thread. Ashton Youboty--who didn't play a lick in his rookie season--was expected to beat Greer out for a spot in 2007.

Yes, I read the thread, and it reinforced my memory of the Youboty love because he was a third round steal. I also remember quite vividly that Greer did not embarrass himself when on the field, and was competing for a job against a half way decent veteran, while Rogers needed half the roster to go down to see playing time.

Yes, I read the thread, and it reinforced my memory of the Youboty love because he was a third round steal. I also remember quite vividly that Greer did not embarrass himself when on the field, and was competing for a job against a half way decent veteran, while Rogers needed half the roster to go down to see playing time.

What are you talking about? Rogers got playing time in the slot as a rookie! AND last year, too.

And yes, Greer, up until 2008, may be in late 2007, was a COMPLETE liability.

What are you talking about? Rogers got playing time in the slot as a rookie! AND last year, too.

And yes, Greer, up until 2008, may be in late 2007, was a COMPLETE liability.

Rogers had one half way decent game as a rookie and instantly gained a cult following. Too bad he never came close to that. Greer, OTOH was constantly improving and even a coach who knows something about DBs called him out as a rising star. The coaches' position on Rogers, OTOH is to keep scouring Aisle 8 for any available alternative.

I wanted Buffalo to keep Greer but he left after the 2008 season.

Part of the reason he wasnt resigned is because he was viewed as a 3rd CB in their depth chart with McGee and then drafting McKelvin in the 1st round in 2008. They also had more depth at CB so as a 3rd CB he was easily replaceable.

Greer was wanting 1st/2nd CB money that Buffalo wasnt going to give based on 1 strong year that 2008 was.

As far as Frank running the football more I'm for it. I'd like to see us use him as an old school FB. Sometimes he blocks and sometimes he gets the ball either in the I as the first man into the hole, or out of the T back there with Fred or CJ or Choice. That way the D couldn't just key on Fred or CJ (or Choice). And it looks like if Frank has a hole he can run.

I think this means, if Wingo is active, Summers will tote the ball more ofren and Wingo will be in at FB.

Wingo is freaking 6-3 231 - So Thats a whole lotta of back coming through the hole if Summers is behind him.

It would be kind of cool to see if we had a big package where we go two TE, and Summers and Wingo in there. I'd reverse the order and still have Summers as fullback as he has proven success against some good defenses, to pound out some chunks of yards.

I agree with both of these points 100%. The people who didn't like Greer pointed to his measurables, but you could see something was up with Greer because he kept making plays in camp and Losman kept making excuses about it.

Edited by vincec