Which QB signing would still make the season "watchable"?

I just gandered at the list of available free-agent QBs and the majority reads like a who's who of crap. But which signing would be most and least intriguing to you? Here's mine:

"Best" choices: Josh Freeman-To me, Freeman serves as the most logical choice to give the Bills season at least a glimmer of hope. Freeman has his issues, but I'm sure we can all agree, the talent that would surround him here (when healthy, that is) is far and away superior than the talent he had in Tampa Bay.

Timothy Richard Tebow- I know i'll get heat for this, and probably deservedly so, but he has a winning record and a playoff victory on his resume as an NFL starter. As far as accuracy goes, he's awful. He can't hit the broad side of Pam Oliver's face. But, selfishly, i cant help but wonder what a read-option offense would look like with Tebow/Spiller/Jackson. Just sayin...

Brett Favre-He's 44, been out of the game for 2 years, but reportedly is in the best shape of his life. If there is a definition of "veteran", he is it. This won't happen, but it'd be damn fun to watch..

Worst choices: Trent Edwards-Do I really have to give one reason why this is my top "worst" choice?! I know us Bills fans are loyal and diehard til the bitter end, but if this guy is signed, you'll be lucky if you have one seat filled at Ralph Wilson Stadium the rest of the year, Russ Brandon! DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT IT!!!

Jamarcus Russell-Everybody's favorite draft bust is reportedly in fantastic shape and has corrected his accuracy issues and his work ethic...but still, No...

Vince Young-Young was cut by the Bills prior to last years opener. Has always had the mobility, but just didn't seem to grasp the overall offense here, or in Philly, or behind Rodgers in Green Bay. You not only need to have the physical attributes to play in the NFL, but you need to have the mental aspect for it as well and be able to understand the offensive schemes that you need to perform when called upon. VY...doesn't! Never has, never will. PASS!

Timothy Richard Tebow- I know i'll get heat for this, and probably deservedly so, but he has a winning record and a playoff victory on his resume as an NFL starter. As far as accuracy goes, he's awful. He can't hit the broad side of Pam Oliver's face. But, selfishly, i cant help but wonder what a read-option offense would look like with Tebow/Spiller/Jackson. Just sayin...

That's all true about Mark Sanchez, too.

With the way our defense is playing, we could definitely go 3-5 or 4-4 with Vince Young at QB over our next 8 games while Manuel is out. That is good enough to put us around .500 with 4 games left, and try and push for the playoffs. The AFC is pretty weak this year.

Edited by BrooklynBills

Jonathan Paul Losman. I kid, I kid... Hell, if Trent is on the list, might as well include this joker for laughs.

I think Freeman would be a good fit. Has some of EJ's faults, and some of his strengths. Plenty of potential in the right system with the right coach.

Whoever it is, though, it better happen sooner than later. I'd like this person to have some idea about the offense before he steps on the field next Sunday.

Jonathan Paul Losman. I kid, I kid... Hell, if Trent is on the list, might as well include this joker for laughs.

I think Freeman would be a good fit. Has some of EJ's faults, and some of his strengths. Plenty of potential in the right system with the right coach.

Whoever it is, though, it better happen sooner than later. I'd like this person to have some idea about the offense before he steps on the field next Sunday.

It's looking like tuel and thad - you don't wait 2 or more days to make this move

It's looking like tuel and thad - you don't wait 2 or more days to make this move

I don't necessarily think you're wrong, but did not Marrone already say that they'd be going outside the organization for a QB solution?

With all due respect sir, Jeff Tuel looked an awful lot like Billy Joe Hobert on Thursday night...as in, he looked like he hadn't read the playbook!

Read the playbook? Hell he looked like he had no idea how he woke up and found himself playing football. But let's see how 10 days of being the starter effects him.

Go with Tuel. I never saw a NFL player look more scared then he did Thursday. Let's see how he works out knowing for 10 days he's the starter.

I agree. I am actually excited about seeing Tuel with a full 10 days, plus the experience of getting some live bullets on Thursday.

There would be no real excitement in seeing some below-average journeyman come here, and try to pass for 200 yards and no interceptions.

Could be waiting on the Raiders signing Freeman, making Matt Flynn available for trade.

They don't practice until Monday, I believe, so there really isn't anything that the new QB can do until then anyway. Also, whoever they bring in will be running a limited playbook which won't be much different to what we were running with Manuel at QB.

IMO, our options, in order of who could win us the most games:

Josh Freeman

Matt Flynn(trade)

Vince Young

Kellen Moore(trade)

Jamarcus Russel

Tyler Wilson(practice squad)

1-3 are all good options in my book.

Could be waiting on the Raiders signing Freeman, making Matt Flynn available for trade.

They don't practice until Monday, I believe, so there really isn't anything that the new QB can do until then anyway. Also, whoever they bring in will be running a limited playbook which won't be much different to what we were running with Manuel at QB.

IMO, our options, in order of who could win us the most games:

Josh Freeman

Matt Flynn(trade)

Vince Young

Kellen Moore(trade)

Jamarcus Russel

Tyler Wilson(practice squad)

1-3 are all good options in my book.

I like your first 2 choices. My fear, however, is that the front office does not want to bring in anyone who might pose a threat to EJ once he gets back. IMHO, the first 2 on that list would be breathing down his neck.

I like your first 2 choices. My fear, however, is that the front office does not want to bring in anyone who might pose a threat to EJ once he gets back. IMHO, the first 2 on that list would be breathing down his neck.

Matt Flynn and Vince Young would be ideal longer term backups, who could push Manuel right away. But they are not long term solutions at QB. They could both come in and help win games.

I just gandered at the list of available free-agent QBs and the majority reads like a who's who of crap. But which signing would be most and least intriguing to you? Here's mine:

"Best" choices: Josh Freeman-To me, Freeman serves as the most logical choice to give the Bills season at least a glimmer of hope. Freeman has his issues, but I'm sure we can all agree, the talent that would surround him here (when healthy, that is) is far and away superior than the talent he had in Tampa Bay.

Brett Favre-He's 44, been out of the game for 2 years, but reportedly is in the best shape of his life. If there is a definition of "veteran", he is it. This won't happen, but it'd be damn fun to watch..

Worst choices: Trent Edwards-Do I really have to give one reason why this is my top "worst" choice?! I know us Bills fans are loyal and diehard til the bitter end, but if this guy is signed, you'll be lucky if you have one seat filled at Ralph Wilson Stadium the rest of the year, Russ Brandon! DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT IT!!!

Jamarcus Russell-Everybody's favorite draft bust is reportedly in fantastic shape and has corrected his accuracy issues and his work ethic...but still, No...

Vince Young-Young was cut by the Bills prior to last years opener. Has always had the mobility, but just didn't seem to grasp the overall offense here, or in Philly, or behind Rodgers in Green Bay. You not only need to have the physical attributes to play in the NFL, but you need to have the mental aspect for it as well and be able to understand the offensive schemes that you need to perform when called upon. VY...doesn't! Never has, never will. PASS!

My two:

1) Josh Freeman. I don't know WTF when down with Schiano and I don't want to know. As far as I can see they turned a promising QB into crap

2) Vince Young. Yes, Vince Young. I don't know if he can grasp and run an NFL offense, but he showed flashes both here and in GB. And he's still got that running threat.

I don't see the point to Tebow. He can't throw, man, and since the Bills played Denver every team has the blueprint to stop him.

Favre would be a joke.

I'm a little mystified by Matt Flynn.

Brett Favre. Only chance to pick up the O in a week. Worth a call. Could sell him on the tinning game and the d if Byrd and Gilmore play.

Ha.. Heard on the NFL channel last week that Favre's agent said he's in great shape and can still play.

Freeman is a retred who none of the other 31 teams want now, a big headache to win 1 or 2 more games?

David Carr might be the best out there. Really no negative body of work or any negative work for years now as a backup to Eli Manning.

Manning is like a god in NY and no matter how many more pics he throws this year (leading the league now) he will never

go to the bench as his 2 Super Bowl wins gets him a lifetime of immunity.

I have no interest in bringing in a "veteran" who is only available because he has proven that he doesn't belong on a roster in this league. I would rather poach a young guy off the practice squad of another team and have him sit behind Tuel while we see what Jeff can do. Developing a young QB that has the potential to be a quality starter in this league is better than signing a veteran who we know is not and never will be worth a roster spot. Matt Scott maybe or Seth Doege for example are practice squad guys we could get for nothing. The notion that someone like Freeman is going to come in and play well enough for us to win enough games to stay in the hunt is a fantasy.

With the way our defense is playing, we could definitely go 3-5 or 4-4 with Vince Young at QB over our next 8 games while Manuel is out. That is good enough to put us around .500 with 4 games left, and try and push for the playoffs. The AFC is pretty weak this year.

ROFL, playoffs? LOL

Freeman is the best choice, actually might give Manuel a run for his position when he returns. In the short term I know I will slammed for it, but I forgot about Russell, give him a shot. Hey what do we have to loose if the other choice is Tuel, who will never be a real NFL QB, no matter what the dreamers out there like to imagine. Russell could do the job better than Tuel, just about anyone could.

Edited by simpleman

If Flynn is breathing down his neck there are bigger issues. The front office won't be trading for his big contract and giving up picks.

And to the person saying they are off days currently - it's still days the new signing could be in a film room with Hackett and our qbs. As a midsession signing every minute counts.

At this point is pencil tuel in as the cincy starter and IF they go outside we don't see that guy for atleast a week or two.

Then more I think about it, I'd go with Vince Young. Just decent enough to get us through a few games. No one is asking him to do too much. Plus he still has to pay his tab at the Cheescake Factory.

Flynn??? He couldn't beat out Terrelle Pryor!

Flynn sucks. But Pryor beat him out because of his running ability, as their OL consists of all Colin Browns.

Honestly, I'd just go with Tuel. It'd be a bad idea to get a big name FA QB, i.e. Freeman, with the intent to bench him in 4-8 weeks. The Bills do have a lot of cap space but would it be worth being on the hook for an extra 1-2m for the next couple season. Just play Tuel and see if he can ball. If he can, he'll cement himself a roster spot. If he can't the Bills can always address it in the draft or the offseason.

If Flynn is breathing down his neck there are bigger issues. The front office won't be trading for his big contract and giving up picks.

And to the person saying they are off days currently - it's still days the new signing could be in a film room with Hackett and our qbs. As a midsession signing every minute counts.

At this point is pencil tuel in as the cincy starter and IF they go outside we don't see that guy for atleast a week or two.

I'm only thinking Flynn if Freeman goes to the Raiders and they cut him. New lower contract and no picks. Hey, it's better than Pat White IMHO.

Certainly not Pat White but that's likely who we get. That's pathetic. I'd offer Favre a million bucks a game. Honestly can't be any worse than what we have now and it would be interesting to say the least. Why not have an open tryout? Anyone who wants show up Monday morning and tryout.

1 - Josh Freeman

2 - Dennis Dixon

3 - Pat White

4 - Tim Tebow

What do all four have in common, they can run. Which would be their biggest edge and help in a short prep and small play book that a week would give them.

Also, concerning bringing in someone who might threaten EJ for a starting roll. So what, I want the best possible players put there, if EJ can't stay over them, so be it. Best man wins, this is the NFL.