Mario Williams...Fact or Fiction...

dezertbill

In my book anyone that requires a constant double team from the opposing team is earning twice what a player who us drawing single coverage. I admit I don't see tapes of JUST him, I see the whole game as a fan. But he is one of those players on the team that I don't see any major problems with so far this season.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure why everyone here is letting one person who seems to know nothing valuable about football other than citing a very subjective study on a website get to them about Mario. Anyone with half a brain can see with their eyes how much of an impact player he has been this season. I don't think I've ever seen a Bill get so blatantly held so that he cannot make a play on the QB like Mario does.

I'm not sure why everyone here is letting one person who seems to know nothing valuable about football other than citing a very subjective study on a website get to them about Mario. Anyone with half a brain can see with their eyes how much of an impact player he has been this season. I don't think I've ever seen a Bill get so blatantly held so that he cannot make a play on the QB like Mario does.

so you never got to watch Bruce eh?

so you never got to watch Bruce eh?

I should have added "In this modern era" or "since Bruce played."

The point I was making is that its been a LONG time since the Bills had any pass rusher worth double-teaming.

Go to pro football focus. Mario isn't in the top 15 defensive ends when it comes to percentage of pressure in pass rushing situations. A 100 million dollar defensive end should be on that list, PERIOD.

https://www.profootb...g-productivity/

We're talking 4 games here. You think that for every 4 game stretch he should be on that list? Why not wait and see how the entire season plays out and then complain instead of looking at a tiny sample size?

Also, that's purely a pass rushing stat, Mario is very good when it comes to stopping the run. I'd be interested to know what his entire grade is and compare it to the rest of the league.

Another thing to remember is that Mario was dealing with plantar fasciitis too. I have no doubt he is not 100% and it is still bothering him (and will all season), but he is gutting it out and giving it his all and not complaining

Mario is NOT going after the QB on every play.

if you notice he is mostly setting the edge to prevent the run. he takes a couple steps in, engages the blocker with some hand play, then holdsup to see how the play is developing.

really can't knock Pettine's system cause the defense looks good, but Mario's "sack" stats could be much better if he was utilized differently.

I'd also like to point out that there are many "advanced stats" outfits out there, so PFF's isn't the only analysis into which it is worth diving. There's also:

Football Outsiders

http://www.footballo...m/stats/teamdef

http://www.footballo...rs.com/stats/dl

Notice that not only is Buffalo's pass defense ranked 5th in DVOA, but also the team ranks 6th in the NFL in runs off right tackle (which come right at Mario) and 4th in runs around right end (on which Mario is responsible for setting the edge). Run defense counts too when evaluating players.

Advanced NFL Stats

http://wp.advancednf...tats.php?pos=DE

Where Mario ranks 10th in WPA

My point is: this stuff is all relative. If you want to see Mario's impact on the game, watch how other teams game plan against him.

So Mario has to be as good as one of the three greatest defensive ends of all time (obviously Reggie and Deacon are the others) in order to have a good game?

As the highest paid DE ever and a #1 overall draft pick, you're damn right I hold him to the highest of standards. Anyone who doesn't is letting him off easy.

Inconsistency of effort is why the Texans let him go in the first place. No surprise there, but he does seem to turn it up at critical times. Bruce Smith took plays off too.

An abundance of very good players at the position in their new defense and the prospects of paying him a mega-deal to retain him is what led to his not being offered a deal by Houston.

All DLmen take a play off now and then. Especially pass rushers. You almost have to.

GO BILLS!!!

By definition, an opinion cannot be wrong; it can be disagreed with, or run contrary to mainstream belief.

I'm sorry but that opinion is wrong.

Some opinions are indeed wrong. They don't just run contrary to mainstream belief, they run contrary to actual facts and can be proven to be incorrect. For example, somebody of the opinion that Fitzpatrick has as strong an arm as EJ. This can physically proven to be incorrect, therefore the person has an opinion that is wrong.

Furthering to that are all of the opinions that are not simply contrary to mainstream belief, but are lacking in any form of rational judgement. As example, somebody saying that even though the Bills have missed 13 years of playoffs that we have been competitive every year. On every reasonable way of assessing the situation, this statement is obviously wrong though it technically cannot be proven to be incorrect.

IMO there are quite a lot of views that get opined around here that are either factually incorrect or obviously wrong.

As the highest paid DE ever and a #1 overall draft pick, you're damn right I hold him to the highest of standards. Anyone who doesn't is letting him off easy.

I also hold him to the highest standards; the difference is that I realize that there will be a difference between playing well and being the greatest of all-time. One of them is a reasonable expectation; the other is not.

I'm sorry but that opinion is wrong.

Some opinions are indeed wrong. They don't just run contrary to mainstream belief, they run contrary to actual facts and can be proven to be incorrect. For example, somebody of the opinion that Fitzpatrick has as strong an arm as EJ. This can physically proven to be incorrect, therefore the person has an opinion that is wrong.

Furthering to that are all of the opinions that are not simply contrary to mainstream belief, but are lacking in any form of rational judgement. As example, somebody saying that even though the Bills have missed 13 years of playoffs that we have been competitive every year. On every reasonable way of assessing the situation, this statement is obviously wrong though it technically cannot be proven to be incorrect.

IMO there are quite a lot of views that get opined around here that are either factually incorrect or obviously wrong.

This is more semantics than anything...the statement that Fitz has as strong an arm as EJ is not an opinion the way you've worded it; just a statement. An opinion, by definition is "a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge". If something can be proven to be either factually correct or incorrect, then it ceases to be an opinion.

That's all I'll really say about it since arguing minutiae isn't really my bag.

Even when Mario has not been getting sacks, he has been getting pressure and push at the point of attack in the run game - I think Mario has done well...his sacks will come, and when they do, he can dominate a game (carolina)

This ^

People who live on the stat sheet tend to not actually watch said players or games very closely. This guy has brought a lot of pressure, and that leads to defensive success

This ^

People who live on the stat sheet tend to not actually watch said players or games very closely. This guy has brought a lot of pressure, and that leads to defensive success

ironically with some of his sacks being on his less explosive/disruptive but instead well disciplined being where he is supposed to be collapsing the pocket plays.

These 2 examples that you give have way more to do with the evaluations of 2 separate GMs on his value than on the current quality of his game. In many ways, it would be interesting to see what fans think of players and coaches if the financials were successfully kept confidential.