Branch having impact on run D?

TPS

My impression (from a few plays where I remember seeing #90 stick out) was that Branch had a big part in the improvement of the run defense yesterday, and his play probably opened things up for Dareus, some. For anyone who analyzes the game (from taping it or All-22), did Branch make a difference (over Carrington)?

What's an impact is we didn't lose much yesterdaty with Carrington being out. I like that guy, and love for once we have depth at a position. I think that is what is one thing exciting me about this team. He played well, but so did A. Williams as a CB when we needed to move him.

This is what winning teams do. Just nice to see. Again, cautious in excitement, but let's win against a surging Browns team and them against a Cincy team everyone sees as a winner, and then we can start getting excited.

Pettine is King. Especially when we play 12 personnel, max protect and beat people on the run giving our defense time.

My impression (from a few plays where I remember seeing #90 stick out) was that Branch had a big part in the improvement of the run defense yesterday, and his play probably opened things up for Dareus, some. For anyone who analyzes the game (from taping it or All-22), did Branch make a difference (over Carrington)?

Probably worth noting that they kicked Marcel Dareus out to End at times as well.

Probably worth noting that they kicked Marcel Dareus out to End at times as well.

I was scratching my head when I saw that. I was confused as could be...why would we put Dareus - a big power plug against a big fat quick Oher. Then I remembered power beats quickness, especially when that quickness is overrated and has fallen flat.

I have been beating the Dareus drum all season this year. Seeing him come out to end and contribute made me realize that we have ourselves a good player all around.

Honestly I've never been a big Carrington fan. Great teammate, size n strength (amazing fg blocker) but never translated to anything more than minor field production in regular season.

Branch was a force yesterday. We drove their line back on every play. He and Lawson were great adds this year. Hughes has been flat but we got a lot better with kiko branch n manny.

Finally got to see Buscaglia's ratings from Ravens game, and Branch did rate very well, better than any grade Carrington received from him in the first 3 games. He also mentions that Dareus played very well against the run too. Branch only had 28 snaps, but that probably had to do with the fact that the Ravens ran only 1-2 times in the second half.

http://www.wgr550.com/Upon-Further-Review-Bills-vs-Ravens/17434479

Kudos to Branch!

I was wrong about him in preseason when I thought he might be cut. He was jogging and looked sluggish when all the young guys were flying around trying to impress the coaches and make the team. I think he just felt secure and is one of these vets that could launch into an Iverson-esque "practice" rant under the right conditions....

I think (and this is an impression and guess) is there is a trade off, Branch appears better v the run and eating space, Carrington appeared better at penetration and rush, probably edge contain too.

Carrington looks like a classic DE, Branch seems to physically look like more of a DT IMO, I think he's bigger and taller than Carrington closer in size to MD99.

If branch looks strong the one year deal may need to be looked at again.

Kudos to Branch!

I was wrong about him in preseason when I thought he might be cut. He was jogging and looked sluggish when all the young guys were flying around trying to impress the coaches and make the team. I think he just felt secure and is one of these vets that could launch into an Iverson-esque "practice" rant under the right conditions....

I don't think you were wrong. There were many here on the board, including myself, that saw exactly what you saw and were concerned about him.

Glad he's out there kicking butt now, and I hope it continues.

As long as Branch is out there, the Bills effectively have 3 DTs and a DE who is strong enough to play DT. Good luck running against that. Look for more wide runs and first down passes from Bills opponents to try and take advantage of Branch's perceived lack of mobility and pass rush.