Chan Gailey is a great offensive mind

One thing I've learned from watching Hackett run this offense is just how much Chan got from his talent on offense. How run schemes opened amazing holes for CJ. He set CJ on receiving patterns that put him in space to run after the catch. The screens were drawn out and ran very well.

Chan got bashed a lot, but I would love to have him as an OC right now. We would have won this game 14.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To me, Chan was very smart but very stubborn, and his stubbornness hurt him as much as it helped him. He really did design some terrific plays. He got a lot out of limited talent. But, like Fitz, he just had a terrible year last year as a coach, and it was time for him to go. We need to give Hackett some time.

I'm curious what Chan would do with EJ Manuel. Reportedly, he liked Cam Newton, Russell Wilson and Ryan Tannehill--- not that they're identical to EJ, but I bet he had some plans drawn up that they couldn't run with Fitz.

One thing I've learned from watching Hackett run this offense is just how much Chan got from his talent on offense. How run schemes opened amazing holes for CJ. He set CJ on receiving patterns that put him in space to run after the catch. The screens were drawn out and ran very well.

Chan got bashed a lot, but I would love to have him as an OC right now. We would have won this game 14.

Not denying Gailey is a good OC. But its way too early to judge Hackett. He has a rookie QB, one rookie WR, down at least 2 players on the OL and trying to figure out how it all is going to come together. We saw progress today with slower tempo. I expect to keep seeing better things.

IMHO, it is not fair to compare a rookie OC with a seasoned veteran.

To me, Chan was very smart but very stubborn, and his stubbornness hurt him as much as it helped him. He really did design some terrific plays. He got a lot out of limited talent. But, like Fitz, he just had a terrible year last year as a coach, and it was time for him to go. We need to give Hackett some time.

And really: this.

He wasn't the right guy as a Head Coach. Unfortunately, for anyone really pining after Chan, being the HC would come with that package. I prefer Marrone so far.

I seem to remember many, many people complaining about Chan and his play calling a lot the last few years.

His scheme was not very good at moving the ball the last year he was here.

It was stagnant and defenses knew how to attack us.

Chan is a nice guy but let's not get ignorant about this.

You guys are expecting way too much from an OC who has to simplify everything for a very green rookie with (now) 4 starts under his belt. We aren't seeing the entire offense yet and I'm not sure we will until next year.

If the Bills tried to run the schemes Gaily ran it would be a clusterf(*& and after the game fans on this board would be screaming that if they'd just play it safe and ride the D they'd be better off. Damned if they do damned if they don't.

I agree completely, Chan got players open simply by play design but his downfall was his QB couldn't throw the ball more than 15 yards...

Saw Fitz's 77 yard TD pass today against the Jets...he heaved it as far as he could and his WR had to stop, come back a few yards and get into a jump ball with the DB who didn't make the play after crashing into the back judge and both of them fell to the ground while Nate Washington got the ball and waltzed into the end zone.

Chan would have had a field day with EJ as his QB...

??? Aside from the Broncos lighting up the Ravens week one, and the Titans putting 38 on the Jets today, the Bills have scored the most points to date this season against the Patriots* and Panthers, and second most for Ravens and Jets... all four of those pretty legitimate defenses... with a rookie QB... and Colin Brown... Today they scored two TDs on a team that hadn't given up a single TD since week 1. Each of these four games, the Bills offensive output has been undone by penalties and being just out of sync. Give them time. Last season with a much more veteran team, there were times Chan called plays like a beaten man. He coached himself out of a job, and no one has picked him up for a reason.

??? Aside from the Broncos lighting up the Ravens week one, and the Titans putting 38 on the Jets today, the Bills have scored the most points to date this season against the Patriots* and Panthers, and second most for Ravens and Jets... all four of those pretty legitimate defenses... with a rookie QB... and Colin Brown... Today they scored two TDs on a team that hadn't given up a single TD since week 1. Each of these four games, the Bills offensive output has been undone by penalties and being just out of sync. Give them time. Last season with a much more veteran team, there were times Chan called plays like a beaten man. He coached himself out of a job, and no one has picked him up for a reason.

Thank you. Well said.

One complaint I have is no screen passes and no passes to our RBs. That was a strength last year. Spiller lining up wide..Freddie in the slot....maybe they're keeping them in for blocking

Considering the wretched preseason we had, may be the coaching staff is still evaluating what will work. In a game time situation, you can only pick a select # of plays and run it. I actually loved how they ran about 8 times on that penultimate drive before they punted. That was effective running.

Yes sir but horrible at hiring a competent coaching staff.

Wannstedt and Edwards was his true downfall in his tenure.

I actually liked Chan but I think you're letting him off easy here. His defenses stunk because he didn't give a rats a$$ about defense. He had 2 of the worst defenses in team history yet the head coach still didn't feel the need to attend the defensive team meetings or give any input. He just let them crash and burn. Can you imagine Lombardi doing that? He might make a decent OC, but he's not head coaching material.

One complaint I have is no screen passes and no passes to our RBs. That was a strength last year. Spiller lining up wide..Freddie in the slot....maybe they're keeping them in for blocking

I agree....

This isnt as much as Gailey.....but Hackett hasnt run any sort of screen plays to the RBs or send one of them wide in a receiver role creating mismatches.