Bills All 22

Fan in Chicago

^^^^^^^^

I think you're pretty much dead-on, Dan.

The coaching hire came at a real low point for the organization and numerous candidates spurned Nix and the Bills.

I think you're right on the QB thing too although Nix would have drafted Newton if he had the chance (as he said) and there is some evidence that there were some 2nd-3rd round QBs he would have taken a chance with but that weren't there when we picked and/or he waited too long.

• Replies 345
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would agree... if someone they really felt was really the answer was available, e.g. Newton, then they would have taken him. However, in the absence of a Newton-type QB falling to them, it seems they may have chosen to build the team first. Then get the QB to fit that team. And.. I'm not sure that's a bad approach. It kinda goes back to the idea that there's more than one way to build a winner.

Of course, if EJ ends up sucking... I reserve the right to change my last statement. :-)

http://www.wgr550.com/JW-All-22-Review-Week-2-Bills-Panthers/17325762

WGR's Jeremy White did some all 22 breakdown and finds that EJ is not reluctant to throw downfield. He's just missing on them.

His impressions from watching are reinforced by the stats, too.

Good stuff on CJ and the running game, Mario and the variety of ways he got to Cam, and a great discussion of a Robert Woods completion.

kj

Was saying all day in the shout box on Sunday that, while EJ was having accuracy problems on longer throws, the fact he was seeing those opportunities and making the right decisions to attempt those passes is far more important at this stage. Once he gains some experience and settles down a bit more, he's gonna complete those. Our receivers are getting open against certain coverages and EJ is seeing the field well. Great stuff.

GO BILLS!!!

Dear Moderators:

I can see why you merged my topic to this one, since it was about the all 22. But please allow a new thread about the previous game's all-22 each week. Just like you let people start new threads on their immediate reactions to the game just played. New game, new topic.

Thank you.

Respectfully, Moderators, I do agree with I<j above.

However, swinging back to the all 22 from week one it is a more than a little disappointing seeing the open lanes that CJ had to cut back on, and didn't.

I've been very hard on Collin Brown (begging for answers on how we could let Chad Rinehart walk without giving him a yeoman type contract offer that was better than SDs), but his caused isn't helped by CJ being out of step.

...I thought about getting NFL rewind last year and I almost pulled the trigger this morning.

Edited by dollars 2 donuts

Correct me if I'm wrong, but in at least two of Jeremy's examples of successful running plays key blocks are made by -- gasp -- everyone's favorite whipping boy, Colin "I'm-not-Andy-Levitre" Brown.

Correct. I know everyone doesn't like him but I think his problem is pass protection, not run blocking. I know against the Pats he was bad all around but he was up against Wilfork most of the game and really can't expect much from that match up.

Can we do an official "All-22: Bills Week X" thread every week? That would be discussion and links all based on All-22. I like that idea.

As someone who can't follow the complexities of the game at regular speed, I really like these discussions.

Look at the skins who risked a lot to go after a QB. They didn't invest properly across the offense - OL, TE, WR and got lucky last year with a RB. They will come back down and as we see already, RG3 is suffering.

Nix may have had this plan all along... its similar to what the Colts did twice.

Can we do an official "All-22: Bills Week X" thread every week? That would be discussion and links all based on All-22. I like that idea.

As someone who can't follow the complexities of the game at regular speed, I really like these discussions.

I agree.

I kinda understand why people don't like dozens of threads and duplicate threads and all, but is it really better to have these mega long, scrolling threads that go on forever and make it a pain to get through all the crap to get to good posts? Also, given what Simon said about long multipage posts being harder to load on the server, it would seem the mods wouldn't want too many of these long, mega threads.

This thread, for example, I guess it was just merged with a n one?? So, I go to read it and I'm thrown back to post 1 and have to look and look for new information. I say, if someone starts a new, duplicate thread.. just delete it or lock it.

http://www.buffaloru...nning-touchdown

I think this might have been posted already, but quick breakdown of the final play (and related, the 2 point conversion).

--

Also

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2013/9/19/4746632/bills-vs-jets-2013-kiko-alonso-delayed-blitzing-all-22-breakdown

About delayed blitzing.

Edited by Dorkington

I agree.

I kinda understand why people don't like dozens of threads and duplicate threads and all, but is it really better to have these mega long, scrolling threads that go on forever and make it a pain to get through all the crap to get to good posts? Also, given what Simon said about long multipage posts being harder to load on the server, it would seem the mods wouldn't want too many of these long, mega threads.

This thread, for example, I guess it was just merged with a n one?? So, I go to read it and I'm thrown back to post 1 and have to look and look for new information. I say, if someone starts a new, duplicate thread.. just delete it or lock it.

Yeah I always thought it would be great to merge threads by combining the posts based on the time stamps of each post.

I agree.

You don't like the feature where you've read a 5-page thread, which then gets merged with another 5-page thread, and now you sort through the whole thing to find where you left off? What a crybaby.

Mods, this thread is discussing the Buffalo Bills, which are being discussed in several other threads on the board. Please merge or delete.

Mods, this thread is discussing the Buffalo Bills, which are being discussed in several other threads on the board. Please merge or delete.

Please use the search function next time, as I believe your complaint regarding threads discussing the Buffalo Bills is being discussed in other threads on the board.

Upon Further Review: Bills at Jets

One step forward, one step back.

Following a week where the Buffalo Bills stole a victory late against Carolina, they came back the next and had a frustrating game on both sides of the ball. The New York Jets gained over 500 yards of total offense, they collected eight sacks on defense and they always seemed to stay a step ahead of the Bills.

It wasn't a pretty day if you're a fan of the team, and some of the grades from the game reflect exactly that. Before we turn the page and advance to preparations for the upcoming contest against the Baltimore Ravens, first is a look at how each individual that took an offensive or defensive snap fared during Week Three.

Every week, with the help of the All-22 film available through NFL.com's Game Rewind package, WGR will provide the standouts, the duds and everything in between from the game that was.

JW: All-22 Review - Bills/Jets: http://www.wgr550.co...s-Jets/17373034

All-22 Review Week 3

An ugly game, that features an ugly tape. The Bills loss to the Jets featured a variety of defensive looks that EJ Manuel had little experience against. The Jets mixed their looks, and had a go-to package that shut down the Bills passing game. Here’s the “book” on the Bills offense, for now. All-22 review.

I’ll start things off with a review of EJ Manuel’s day. The Bills rookie QB has shown plenty of good things to this point in his NFL career, but Rex Ryan’s defense was able to show him a little something of their own. We’ll check in on NFL ridiculousness on 3rd and 1, and stop to visit Colin Brown’s struggles along the way.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

I'm sorry, but that 4th and 10 play call is horrible. 2 go's and an in route? No confusion in alignment. Joe b calling Stevie, a relatively slow Wr, open with the safety in his pocket is a joke. To me the article and the photos showed exactly what cbs showed. Manuel is going to miss reads and receivers, but this is literally pop Warner play calling. Seriously I ran this play in pop warner.

If anyone gets a chance could you focus on a few things to help grade Mr Summers.

How many defenders did he make contact with on each run?

How many defenders did he make contact with that made contact with the carrier?

Was he able to open the hole - put his back to the hole?

Kiko's first interception was another example of confusing the QB. You can see Alonso and Manny Lawson communicating during the play and passing the WRs off to one another on their crossing routes. In this process Flacco just loses Alonso.

Manny lawson and Kiko have changed the dynamics of this LB corps completely.

Kiko's first interception was another example of confusing the QB. You can see Alonso and Manny Lawson communicating during the play and passing the WRs off to one another on their crossing routes. In this process Flacco just loses Alonso.

Manny lawson and Kiko have changed the dynamics of this LB corps completely.

Ding.

Ding.

Ding.

Lawson deserves his own thread. He's everything Kelsay was and everything he wasn't.

JW: All-22 Review Week 4 - Bills/Ravens: http://www.wgr550.co...tentId=13900857

A win over the defending Super Bowl Champions will go a long way to build a team's collective confidence. Eric Wood and Marcell Dareus get game balls for work in the trenches, while old offense and new defense make the difference. It's tape time, with All-22.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

JW: All-22 Review Week 4 - Bills/Ravens: http://www.wgr550.co...tentId=13900857

A win over the defending Super Bowl Champions will go a long way to build a team's collective confidence. Eric Wood and Marcell Dareus get game balls for work in the trenches, while old offense and new defense make the difference. It's tape time, with All-22.

Another great segment-- this guy is the best.

I really loved the breakdown of Aaron Williams showing man coverage and then mid-stream breaking into zone, to pick that pass off. Really tricky and well executed.

What I noticed from watching in the stands is that--every single game--Buffalo, at least once or twice, lines up facing a 3-WR set with nobody lined up across the slot WR. Then, right at the snap, Kiko jets laterally to fill the zone. They were able to bait Geno into an INT in week 3, and Flacco went to the read in week 4 but pulled the ball back and had to scramble to throw it away.

It wouldn't shock me at all to see Hoyer get baited on that tomorrow.

• 2 weeks later...

All-22 Review - Bills/Bengals - Breaking Thad: http://www.wgr550.com/pages/17532125.php?contentType=4&contentId=13989454

Seems the Bills are having trouble getting their starting 22 on the field. This week's All-22 Review from Jeremy White will feature a look at how the Bengals were able to hit big plays, nice throws from Thad Lewis, and an offense that was missing two big pieces.

We will have a bit more time with Thad Lewis, so we don't have to talk about a QB controversy just yet. The Bills will likely start Lewis against Miami as EJ Manuel's rehab continues. I'll admit it's entirely possible that Lewis plays well enough to keep the job, but it's not all that likely. I've seen good things from both QBs, and Bills fans should be fairly pleased considering the two had a combined ONE game of NFL experience coming into the season.

The offense continues to work. The defense is still getting beat. What happened on Sunday? Let's take a look.