Bills All 22

Fan in Chicago

All-22 Review - Bills/Bengals - Breaking Thad: http://www.wgr550.co...tentId=13989454

The offense continues to work. The defense is still getting beat. What happened on Sunday? Let's take a look.

The point about using our D's aggressiveness against us seems spot on. Those pitches/side screens were driving me nuts as they kept doing that several times with great success every time. I was hoping that we would spread the D out a bit to cut down those throws but we did not make that adjustment.

And I appreciate the point about how the slant was non existent with Stevie's absence. It hurt the O for sure. But it is tough to blame the O when a QB who was on the PS a few days back, missing its top receiver, new LG and a slightly hobbled Spiller still managed to tie the game late. 24 points should be enough to win the game with a good D.

• Replies 345
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Upon Further Review: Bills at Dolphins: http://www.wgr550.com/Upon-Further-Review--Bills-at-Dolphins/17588932

Capturing their first road win in over a calendar year, the Buffalo Bills took a definitive step forward under their rookie head coach. The Bills went down to Miami and beat the Dolphins in a dramatic, last-minute fashion.

Next, the Bills go on the road to take on one of the best teams in the entire league. Before we move on to the New Orleans Saints, first let's take a look at how each offensive and defensive player that took a snap for the Bills fared against the Dolphins.

Every week, with the help of the All-22 film available through NFL.com's Game Rewind package, WGR will provide the standouts, the duds and everything in between from the game that was.

Upon Further Review: Bills at Dolphins: http://www.wgr550.co...lphins/17588932

Capturing their first road win in over a calendar year, the Buffalo Bills took a definitive step forward under their rookie head coach. The Bills went down to Miami and beat the Dolphins in a dramatic, last-minute fashion.

Next, the Bills go on the road to take on one of the best teams in the entire league. Before we move on to the New Orleans Saints, first let's take a look at how each offensive and defensive player that took a snap for the Bills fared against the Dolphins.

Every week, with the help of the All-22 film available through NFL.com's Game Rewind package, WGR will provide the standouts, the duds and everything in between from the game that was.

I find it interesting that Joe B. basically says verbatim what a number of posters have been talking about regarding Thad:

His biggest issue throughout much of the game -- and it isn't clear if this is how the Bills had asked him to operate or if it's his own tendency -- but Lewis does not often go through his progressions. In fact, he would only look at his first read for many of the passing plays and either try to force it in or look for a dump-down option.

Even when there were other receivers coming open, Lewis instead elected to either dump it down or panic in the pocket because he doesn't want to take a sack. Besides that, his accuracy in the intermediate areas didn't exactly inspire confidence. That tendency, unlike the first one mentioned, has shown through in all three of his NFL starts now.

That kind of thing worries me, as defenses can really take advantage of that as the season wears on.

I find it interesting that Joe B. basically says verbatim what a number of posters have been talking about regarding Thad:

His biggest issue throughout much of the game -- and it isn't clear if this is how the Bills had asked him to operate or if it's his own tendency -- but Lewis does not often go through his progressions. In fact, he would only look at his first read for many of the passing plays and either try to force it in or look for a dump-down option.

Even when there were other receivers coming open, Lewis instead elected to either dump it down or panic in the pocket because he doesn't want to take a sack. Besides that, his accuracy in the intermediate areas didn't exactly inspire confidence. That tendency, unlike the first one mentioned, has shown through in all three of his NFL starts now.

That kind of thing worries me, as defenses can really take advantage of that as the season wears on.

He doesn't want to take a sack? He certainly manages.

This is precisely why there will be no question when EJ comes back who the starter will be.

He doesn't want to take a sack? He certainly manages.

I'm sure that's the reason...I just worry that creative DCs like Rob Ryan, who he'll face Sunday, will play very aggressive with the WRs AND send pressure packages. Could be a recipe for disaster if Thad can't adjust.

This is precisely why there will be no question when EJ comes back who the starter will be.

Agreed. Love the effort we are getting from Lewis, it has been a pleasent surprise. If the Bills can eek out some wins during that stretch, it would be awesome..but I still want to see Manuel play, and work out his issues...

Agree with all of this he never goes through the progression, but that isnt terrible because him as a game manger is what we need with maybe 2-3 good throws a game. What is killing me is his intermediate accuracy especially throwing to his right. He seems to sail every slant to the right three feet over the heads of the receiver. It has happened three or four times in each game he played. All together he is an incredible competent backup for EJ.

Agree with all of this he never goes through the progression, but that isnt terrible because him as a game manger is what we need with maybe 2-3 good throws a game. What is killing me is his intermediate accuracy especially throwing to his right. He seems to sail every slant to the right three feet over the heads of the receiver. It has happened three or four times in each game he played. All together he is an incredible competent backup for EJ.

He does have a tendency to throw off is back foot, causing the ball to sail. It makes sense it would be more prevalent towards the right, because on throws to the left he is forced to turn his body more and step into the throw more emphatically. Like EJ, he's probably relied on arm strength his entire career, but given his time with David Cutliffe, I'm surprised he's not more advanced mechanically. It may be a matter of patience and trusting the playcall, progressions, and teammates as well.

GO BILLS!!!

I am not worried about this at all. It's just a matter of more experience and getting more comfortable back there. I bet you we will continually see him improve on this.

Also, the line hasn't really been playing all that well the last couple of games, which hasn't helped.

He does have a tendency to throw off is back foot, causing the ball to sail. It makes sense it would be more prevalent towards the right, because on throws to the left he is forced to turn his body more and step into the throw more emphatically. Like EJ, he's probably relied on arm strength his entire career, but given his time with David Cutliffe, I'm surprised he's not more advanced mechanically. It may be a matter of patience and trusting the playcall, progressions, and teammates as well.

GO BILLS!!!

I am willing to cut him slack considering his level of (in)experience and beinf thrown into the fire with little warning.

Apart from that, he had little time to throw against Miami. It seemed like there were defenders in his face very quickly. That can surely rattle a young QB. Also, with CJ and Fredie both at less than full strength, he did not have many options.

The Saints game will be interesting as their D can be gashed occasionally and if we take advantage of the few opportunities we get, the game will be interesting. The next point is always true, but more so against a O powerhouse like NO - don't fall too far behind early.

I am not worried about this at all. It's just a matter of more experience and getting more comfortable back there. I bet you we will continually see him improve on this.

I agree that this is something that can be improved; hopefully it will.

Also, the line hasn't really been playing all that well the last couple of games, which hasn't helped.

I think the OL has been better since Legursky replaced Brown; Thad's slightly-panicky play has made them look a bit worst IMO.

Again, I do like Thad; there just happen to be things that concern me greatly about his game. Attributes that can be exploited by good defenses.

We're going to need to take advantage of a New Orleans' run defense that allows a league-worst YPC if we want to have a chance in this one.

I am willing to cut him slack considering his level of (in)experience and beinf thrown into the fire with little warning.

Apart from that, he had little time to throw against Miami. It seemed like there were defenders in his face very quickly. That can surely rattle a young QB. Also, with CJ and Fredie both at less than full strength, he did not have many options.

The Saints game will be interesting as their D can be gashed occasionally and if we take advantage of the few opportunities we get, the game will be interesting. The next point is always true, but more so against a O powerhouse like NO - don't fall too far behind early.

It's an interesting dichotomy...the fact that he's had 3+ years of NFL coaching makes me think--on one hand--that his mechanics shouldn't fail him at this point. You make a good point, however, that you don't really have experience until you've faced live fire.

I saw the pressure in the Miami game. Definitely had an effect. It would on any QB.

I've only seen him play three games, including the meaningless pre-season ender. And I've seen the exact same tendencies. For a QB that's kicked around and (presumably) received NFL level coaching the last three and a half seasons, not to mention his time with David Cutliffe, I would just expect him to be more advanced mechanically.

Not an indictment, just an observation.

GO BILLS!!!

I think the OL has been better since Legursky replaced Brown; Thad's slightly-panicky play has made them look a bit worst IMO.

I watched the first half all-22 last night before I turned in and Legursky was awful, especially in pass pro. Reading the Buscaglia's article this morning after his review of the all-22, he commented that Legursky was only slightly better than Brown. He doesn't have the heft to handle a bull rush and he has a serious case of the slows when he has to block in space which, playing the center of the line, he thankfully doesn't have to do very often.

The key way every QB in the NFL buys himself another second or two to find an receiver is to step up in the pocket as the tackles steer the DE's wide and deep. Eventually the DE's get around the tackles and work back up field to get the QB but never get there, usually because the QB steps up in the pocket creating even more distance for the DE's to make up to get to him. Neither Thad nor EJ has had that option because the pocket is getting pushed back by whoever Brown/Legursky is blocking. That also makes it more difficult for them to use their feet to pick up a first down. Left Guard is and has been a disaster for us all year. Legursky is better than Brown when it comes to running the ball but in pass pro, he is just as bad. Frankly, G gets my vote for early consideration in the draft. With the weapons we have on offense now, I hate to see us hampered by not being able to find a less than terrible Guard.

I watched the first half all-22 last night before I turned in and Legursky was awful, especially in pass pro. Reading the Buscaglia's article this morning after his review of the all-22, he commented that Legursky was only slightly better than Brown. He doesn't have the heft to handle a bull rush and he has a serious case of the slows when he has to block in space which, playing the center of the line, he thankfully doesn't have to do very often.

The key way every QB in the NFL buys himself another second or two to find an receiver is to step up in the pocket as the tackles steer the DE's wide and deep. Eventually the DE's get around the tackles and work back up field to get the QB but never get there, usually because the QB steps up in the pocket creating even more distance for the DE's to make up to get to him. Neither Thad nor EJ has had that option because the pocket is getting pushed back by whoever Brown/Legursky is blocking. That also makes it more difficult for them to use their feet to pick up a first down. Left Guard is and has been a disaster for us all year. Legursky is better than Brown when it comes to running the ball but in pass pro, he is just as bad. Frankly, G gets my vote for early consideration in the draft. With the weapons we have on offense now, I hate to see us hampered by not being able to find a less than terrible Guard.

No question that Legursky doesn't cut it at LG either; just saying he is better than Brown. A true step up in the run game, and only marginally better in pass protection.

I'm not big on spending a high pick on a guard, as I'd rather bring in a mid-tier FA. The guy gets to play between Wood and Glenn; he doesn't need to be great, just passable.

GO BILLS!!!

I saw the pressure in the Miami game. Definitely had an effect. It would on any QB.

I've only seen him play three games, including the meaningless pre-season ender. And I've seen the exact same tendencies. For a QB that's kicked around and (presumably) received NFL level coaching the last three and a half seasons, not to mention his time with David Cutliffe, I would just expect him to be more advanced mechanically.

Not an indictment, just an observation.

GO BILLS!!!

Outstanding observations as usual.

Even without the full services of Cameron Wake, the Dolphins have an excellent pass rush. This was obviously a factor in Lewis' play.

And yes, Thad spent 4 seasons as the starter at Duke. Apparently many people are unaware of this fact.

Lewis played college football for the Duke Blue Devils. While at Duke he set school records for career passing touchdowns and career passing yards. He also set Duke's school record for most consecutive pass attempts without an interception, 206. During his four years as a starting quarterback, he threw for 10,065 yards, 67 touchdowns and 40 interceptions, and ran for 9 touchdowns.

During his senior season Lewis was a finalist for the Davey O'Brien Award, presented to the nation's top quarterback.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thaddeus_Lewis

I'm also very surprised that there has been no commentary of the fact that against Miami, every pass play but one was a pocket pass. There was only one designed rollout. It's weird to me anyways that a very mobile QB who has shown an ability to throw on the run would be forced to sit in the pocket against a good pass rushing team. It seems like it would be beneficial to mix in a few rollouts and moving pockets.

That is why he is a backup QB.

All-22 Review - Bills/Dolphins - Mario's Masterpiece: http://www.wgr550.com/All-22-Review-Bills-Dolphins-Mario-s-Masterpiece/17596491

The Bills first road win of the season was delivered by the defense, with Mario Williams coming through in the clutch. While Williams had only the two sacks, his fingerprints are all over the defensive identity. Take a look at the tape, as Jeremy White takes one more look at the win with the All-22.

Bills DE Mario Williams has been named the AFC Defensive Player of the Week. His strip-sack of Ryan Tannehill in the 4th quarter put the Bills in position to get the game winning field goal. Williams made a difference throughout the day, starting on the game’s first possession.

The Bills got on the board early with a pick-six from Nickell Robey. The play, upon review, is a good look at the perfect meeting of preparation and execution.

Outstanding observations as usual.

Even without the full services of Cameron Wake, the Dolphins have an excellent pass rush. This was obviously a factor in Lewis' play.

And yes, Thad spent 4 seasons as the starter at Duke. Apparently many people are unaware of this fact.

Lewis played college football for the Duke Blue Devils. While at Duke he set school records for career passing touchdowns and career passing yards. He also set Duke's school record for most consecutive pass attempts without an interception, 206. During his four years as a starting quarterback, he threw for 10,065 yards, 67 touchdowns and 40 interceptions, and ran for 9 touchdowns.

During his senior season Lewis was a finalist for the Davey O'Brien Award, presented to the nation's top quarterback.

http://en.wikipedia..../Thaddeus_Lewis

I'm also very surprised that there has been no commentary of the fact that against Miami, every pass play but one was a pocket pass. There was only one designed rollout. It's weird to me anyways that a very mobile QB who has shown an ability to throw on the run would be forced to sit in the pocket against a good pass rushing team. It seems like it would be beneficial to mix in a few rollouts and moving pockets.

I did notice that--I believe, and this is just my observation--that this was by design to avoid Lewis having to throw on the run. The 3 or 4 times he had designed-roll-out passes against Cinci, his accuracy was abysmal, so I think Hackett shelved that portion of the playbook.

For my part, I'd like to see a few roll-outs specifically to get Lewis on the edge so he can run--I remember thinking that on the final hand off to Choice on 3rd down with less than 2 minutes to go that a naked bootleg by Thad gets the first down and wins the game.

I did notice that--I believe, and this is just my observation--that this was by design to avoid Lewis having to throw on the run. The 3 or 4 times he had designed-roll-out passes against Cinci, his accuracy was abysmal, so I think Hackett shelved that portion of the playbook.

For my part, I'd like to see a few roll-outs specifically to get Lewis on the edge so he can run--I remember thinking that on the final hand off to Choice on 3rd down with less than 2 minutes to go that a naked bootleg by Thad gets the first down and wins the game.

My DVR didn't record the Cinci game and as a result I missed the game. I seem to remember that Lewis looked good in his start last year against the Steelers on rollouts or maybe it was the preseason game he played this year?

Anyways my thought was that maybe the Bills don't want him to be tempted to run the ball so they're nixing those plays in an (misguided?) attempt at avoiding injury. Just a thought and probably wrong.

All-22 Review - Bills/Dolphins - Mario's Masterpiece: http://www.wgr550.co...rpiece/17596491

The Bills first road win of the season was delivered by the defense, with Mario Williams coming through in the clutch. While Williams had only the two sacks, his fingerprints are all over the defensive identity. Take a look at the tape, as Jeremy White takes one more look at the win with the All-22.

Bills DE Mario Williams has been named the AFC Defensive Player of the Week. His strip-sack of Ryan Tannehill in the 4th quarter put the Bills in position to get the game winning field goal. Williams made a difference throughout the day, starting on the game’s first possession.

The Bills got on the board early with a pick-six from Nickell Robey. The play, upon review, is a good look at the perfect meeting of preparation and execution.

Thanks for posting, CB.

I see they highlighted the one play fake/sprint roll throw to Chandler.

As you can see, Mario is no Bruce Smith. He's more similar to Reggie White in that he uses his size/speed/strength as opposed to having the arsenal of moves that Bruce had.

One other thing Mario does well is that he uses his hands quite nicely.

Martin and Clabo were like tackling dummies out there.

JW: All-22 Review Week 8 - Bills/Saints: http://www.wgr550.com/pages/17640797.php?contentType=4&contentId=14080899

A 35-17 loss in New Orleans tells us the Bills still have a sizable gap to cover before they can play with the NFL's best teams. The All-22 review brings Jeremy White to three major conclusions: 1. Thad Lewis has a major problem to work on, 2. Nickell Robey can be my Nickel CB any time, and 3. Drew Brees and Sean Payton should almost never lose.

The Bills loss in New Orleans went the way that many of us expected it to. Drew Brees was very effective in finding guys wearing black and gold, and those guys took it into the end zone five times. FIVE touchdown passes. Your defense is obviously terrible if it allows five touchdown passes, right?

I'm not so sure.

Brees is debate one of the best quarterbacks in the NFL. Nickell Robey could tell you this after his first run-in with the likely Hall of Famer. Robey was beaten for a pair of touchdowns, on plays where he had to think he was in good position. This isn't the Leodis McKelvin "Hey you're there, just turn around" coverage. It was more of a "You really can't be much better, but that's Drew Brees so tip your cap to him" coverage.

So Gilmore gave up 0 yards according to PFF. Robey was great, just unlucky according to Joe B. Byrd is the best FS in the NFL. McKelvin is having the best season of his career. Williams has saved his career at safety. Who is responsible for 322 yards and 5 TDs when the DL was terrorizing the QB and had completely stopped the running game?

So Gilmore gave up 0 yards according to PFF. Robey was great, just unlucky according to Joe B. Byrd is the best FS in the NFL. McKelvin is having the best season of his career. Williams has saved his career at safety. Who is responsible for 322 yards and 5 TDs when the DL was terrorizing the QB and had completely stopped the running game?

You are. :lol:

Drew Brees and Sean Payton.

Not necessarily in that order.

GO BILLS!!!

Edited by K-9

Drew Brees and Sean Payton.

Not necessarily in that order.

GO BILLS!!!

Honestly, saying that is just a weak excuse.

In a game where the Bills have shut down the opponents running game and are putting heavy pressure on the QB, the Bills defensive secondary gets roasted and the following week there are articles about how well the DBs played??? Ridiculous. How about a little accountability.

Honestly, saying that is just a weak excuse.

In a game where the Bills have shut down the opponents running game and are putting heavy pressure on the QB, the Bills defensive secondary gets roasted and the following week there are articles about how well the DBs played??? Ridiculous. How about a little accountability.

OK, then. Drew Brees and Sean Payton had little to do with it. It was all a matter of our guys sucking. Hope that clears it up for you.

GO BILLS!!!

With a bit more help from Thad Lewis and the offense, the defense would have been able to do a much better job of containing the Saints. That game was winnable.

I agree if the offense contributes, we could have had a shot.

But to not credit Brees and Payton, two of the best at what they do, is ridiculous. Their GREAT play and coordination, respectively, had more to do with it than our poor play. I question the athletic competitive experience of anyone that wouldn't be able to give that credit where it's due.

GO BILLS!!!

Edited by K-9

OK, then. Drew Brees and Sean Payton had little to do with it. It was all a matter of our guys sucking. Hope that clears it up for you.

GO BILLS!!!

I agree if the offense contributes, we could have had a shot.

But to not credit Brees and Payton, two of the best at what they do, is ridiculous. Their GREAT play and coordination, respectively, had more to do with it than our poor play. I question the athletic competitive experience of anyone that wouldn't be able to give that credit where it's due.

GO BILLS!!!

We knew going into the game that this would be the most challenging matchup that the Bills' D would face all season. Payton is the best play caller in the NFL, Brees is a surgeon out there, and the Super Dome is one tough venue for any visiting NFL team. The Bills should feel no shame in the way they performed down in NO. Tip of the cap to Brees, Payton, and the rest of the Saints...On to the KC game.

Upon Further Review: Bills at Saints (By Joe Buscaglia): http://www.wgr550.com/Upon-Further-Review--Bills-at-Saints/17642898

Going up against perhaps the toughest team they'll face all season long, the Buffalo Bills put up a fight in the early going against the New Orleans Saints. In the end, though, the talent discrepancy at the quarterback position is inevitably what gave the Saints a victory and the Bills a loss.

The Bills will start the second half of their season on Sunday against the Kansas City Chiefs. Before we shift to the next week, first is a look back at how each offensive and defensive player that took a snap for the Bills against the Saints.

I think for one thing, the offense could be sued for non-support.

Also the Bills lost the turnover battle.

This contributed to the Saints having several short fields and generally excellent field position.

As mentioned earlier, Robey was beaten on two plays by perfectly executed offensive plays.

And back to my point the offense was sputtering and didn't give the defense any appreciable break.

How's that?

I'm in the group that thought the Bills D played well.

edit:

Also, how long was that Stills/Jerry Hughes play? Blame whomever you want for that one but that counted for a lot of yards and one TD.

Thoughts?

I think for one thing, the offense could be sued for non-support.

Also the Bills lost the turnover battle.

This contributed to the Saints having several short fields and generally excellent field position.

As mentioned earlier, Robey was beaten on two plays by perfectly executed offensive plays.

And back to my point the offense was sputtering and didn't give the defense any appreciable break.

How's that?

I'm in the group that thought the Bills D played well.

edit:

Also, how long was that Stills/Jerry Hughes play? Blame whomever you want for that one but that counted for a lot of yards and one TD.

Thoughts?

I don't know, maybe it's just bad luck, or the annual punching bag- the linebackers. But I'm still waiting to see the secondary play well as a unit. I do think it's curious timing to publish two articles praising CBs the week when they give up the most passing yards, most passing TDs and most points this season.

Another great analysis by white.

Kills me seeing that Hughes penalty; that was a turning point in the game too. What a horrible call.

seeing Thad's shortcomings too really puts things in perspective. We have the talent and play calls down; the QB just hasn't been able to deliver.

Honestly, I thought it was a hold. I thought Hughes pretty clearly hooked him, and let's not forget that we got that call with Kuechly in the Panthers game. Still, it's a great analysis overall.