Bills All 22

Fan in Chicago

Somehow I did not see this posted so thought it deserved its own thread.

http://www.wgr550.com/two-bills-drive/17263530

Very interesting read, and here are conclusions per this analysis (quoting):

"- CJ Spiller’s struggles aren’t a major concern, yet. It’s tough to figure whats going on in just one week and how the Bills will make adjustments.

- EJ Manuel showed an awful lot to be excited about. Perhaps more than anything is his understanding of the offense.

- I think the Bills offense is just scratching the surface of what they intend to be, and it’s pretty exciting."

• Replies 345
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's Joe B's assessment:

http://www.wgr550.com/pages/17264467.php?contentType=4&contentId=13766724

Some notes:

- Joe thought Marcel had the best day of any of the DL. Started slow, but finished really strong.

- Colin Brown had the worst day out of the OL, no surprise there.

- EJ had a good game, but it looked like the playbook was limited. Most of the route trees were of the shorter variety.

- Kiko was mostly solid, but overpersued on some plays.

Lots of factual info in both.... My take always are:

-MD99 is the key to run D consistency

-there is finally hope at linebacker, nice start Kiko, Bradham played well, Lawson a solid pich up and Moats may have finally found his home.

- Spiller played liked he did as a rookie running into his linemen instead of the hole... Hopefully first game jitters and falling into the hype,I remember they called him Reggie boobbie because he likes to go fast, but needed slow down and let the play develop then burst through the hole...

-EJ is a stud.cant wait to pull out my thread predicting he is ORoY

- Colin brown needs to be fixed. If I didn't know any better I'd say its typical Beli attacking the weakest links.

The team looked at lot more like they had talent to win and weren't just getting lucky to stay close. This team is on the path now.

http://www.wgr550.com/pages/17264467.php?contentType=4&contentId=13766724

Some notes:

- Joe thought Marcel had the best day of any of the DL. Started slow, but finished really strong.

- EJ had a good game, but it looked like the playbook was limited. Most of the route trees were of the shorter variety.

I'm hoping, much like Wilson, after a few weeks they start giving him more. Hopefully 1-2 nice plays and good defense will keep us competitive in the meantime.

I'm hoping, much like Wilson, after a few weeks they start giving him more. Hopefully 1-2 nice plays and good defense will keep us competitive in the meantime.

Agreed. Wish our D more closely resembled the Seahawks' D that was able to keep Wilson in every game though.

GO BILLS!!!

YOu are welcome. Good to read some real analysis in a sea of biased opinions. I will also like to see this for our D as I thought they played pretty well considering injuries to the backfield, new scheme, many new players etc

Going to check out the Bills All-22 for myself when it's available via Game Rewind at noon today. Thanks again.

Another thing about the All-22 that made me feel a little bit better about the playcalling -- it seems CJ had some open cutback lanes he just failed to utilize, for whatever reason. I had simply assumed the middle was clogged up and he had nowhere to run, but that appears to have not been the case. Hackett was calling plays that could have worked -- CJ just had an off day. Given what he had been dealing with personally I'll give him a pass, but it will be interesting to see how he bounces back on Sunday against another stout D front.

Another thing about the All-22 that made me feel a little bit better about the playcalling -- it seems CJ had some open cutback lanes he just failed to utilize, for whatever reason. I had simply assumed the middle was clogged up and he had nowhere to run, but that appears to have not been the case. Hackett was calling plays that could have worked -- CJ just had an off day. Given what he had been dealing with personally I'll give him a pass, but it will be interesting to see how he bounces back on Sunday against another stout D front.

This is exactly how I feel now, as well. During the game, I just though they were calling bad plays for him, trying to stuff him in to the box without a hole, but now it appears he just made bad decisions. I was a bit quick to criticize Hackett for this.

Some more, from Buffalo Rumblings keying on CJ: http://www.buffaloru...ller-film-study

And this was also a good read on the different D packages, although it isn't based on the All-22: http://espn.go.com/b...tines-personnel (One particularly interesting note: Alan Branch subbed in at every spot on the DL.)

Hope this thread is the right spot for these.

kj

Edited by l< j

Thanks, OP. A review like this confirms most of impressions walking out of the stadium. I have not witnessed a quarterback with the pocket presence and composure that EJ showed in his very first game in a very long time on this team. Beyond that, the most impressive thing that I noticed during both the live-action and review of the game is the fact that Manuel consistently showed the ability to throw receivers open. This is something that takes special physical and mental talent to do on a consistent basis in the NFL, and IMO, is one of the things that separates the good quarterbacks from the great ones. I have never been more encouraged coming out of a loss because we finally might have a very good one at the most important position in all of sports.

http://www.wgr550.co...tentId=13766724

Some notes:

Interesting that people that are fairly knowledgeable about football and watched all of the game film came to different conclusions about players than several of the fans of this message board.

The family issues plus an early fumble may have lead to a mental state that didn't help CJ perform up to his usual level.

Hopefully he can put all that stuff behind him and have a better week 2.

Well, after seeing this, our friend 'mircroscopes' will have to amend his OP of his 'Manuel Unimpressive' thread. In it, he says the TD pass to Stevie was his only impressive pass. After reviewing the pass to a tightly covered Chandler where EJ threw him open to a spot a split second before getting creamed, was even more impressive. That was simply a major league throw in every sense of the word. Damned impressive!

Even more so when he made NE* pay for the adjustment they made on that route and he threw to a wide-open Woods for the TD.

It's early, but I think we got a QB for real this time.

GO BILLS!!!

Some more, from Buffalo Rumblings keying on CJ: http://www.buffaloru...ller-film-study

And this was also a good read on the different D packages, although it isn't based on the All-22: http://espn.go.com/b...tines-personnel (One particularly interesting note: Alan Branch subbed in at every spot on the DL.)

kj

Thanks for these. :thumbsup:

I asked this in another thread but I think it bears repeating.

Who remembers Spiller saying last year that he needed to learn to slow down, be patient and find his holes? In my estimation, he just needs to re-learn that lesson this year and he'll be fine. On Sunday he was almost TOO quick to the line and just wasn't trusting the OL enough.

Edited by BillnutinHouston

I think we should use a weekly All-22 thread. With articles from various sources, and anyone else who watches the footage here. It's really quite educational.

I agree, I love reading his All-22 threads.

I noticed that CJ was missing those cut back reads, which was surprising to see. Thought he did to much dancing in the backfield. Take one cut and hit it hard.

Sure the coaching staff saw this as well. I expect C.J. to have a much better game this week.

And E.J. Manuel is gonna be really good as he gets more experience . I mean REALLY good. Think we finally got a QB. FINALLY

I find the left guard situation extremely frustrating.

It's been beaten to death here so I'm not going to re-open the discussion or mention the "L Word"... but this franchise should've done much more to prepare for the season at that position. Really pisses me off.

I understand your frustration, but the Bills didn't lose on Sunday because of the LG "situation."

http://www.wgr550.co...tentId=13766724

Some notes:

Joe's opinion on Marcel surprises me. Some of our more knowledgeable posters here were very critical of Marcel's performance. I'm a bit skeptical of Buscaglia's reviews of D-Line play after last year's breakdown of Mario's performance turned out to have missed the mark by a significant margin.

"To my eye, a large combination of factors went into Spiller's day. He did not look as sharp as usual cutting, and missed some opportunities with his eyes as he appeared to be pressing the issue from time to time. Mostly, however, it looked like the Bills simply weren't blocking particularly well for No. 28 up front. They struggled in particular with Wilfork, who continually closed down running lanes. The run blocking execution was sloppy, but it's not as if it was bad scheming - there were opportunities for much bigger chunk runs that were left on the field."

http://www.buffaloru...ller-film-study

"Questions at Left Guard

The left guard position has been a hot-button issue throughout Bills camp given the departure of free agent Andy Levitre, and it wasn’t a good start to the post-Levitre era.

We’ve already mentioned some of LG Brown’s difficult day, as he finished at -7.8 and was just as poor as a run blocker (-4.4) as he was in pass protection (-3.7). Brown may have had the most difficult task on the Bills’ line, however, as he often found himself battling not only the Patriots’ best run defender in Wilfork, but also their best pass rusher in Jones. Not only did Wilfork control Brown in the running game, he also bull-rushed him for a pressure with 1:43 to go in the second quarter. Jones lined up on the inside, a new wrinkle for the Patriots, as he played defensive right tackle (on a four-man line) seven times on Sunday after doing so only three times all of last season. He beat Brown for a hit and two hurries in his limited time, going to his outside shoulder each time.

https://www.profootb...-ne-buf-week-1/

A few things, while I'm not ready to proclaim EJ as the next Jim Kelly just yet. He did play well considering....the Patriots only blitzed 6 times out of 32 drop backs. Which tells me given EJ's limited play in the pre season, Bill Belicheat had his D dropping into coverage in hopes that EJ would make mistakes, which he didn't.

My take on Spiller this week was a combination of things. The Bills ran a 4 wide, spread shotgun passing play with CJ as the single back ( like Gailey did all last year) then on the first play of the 3rd series. They handed off to CJ who ran for 8 yards. Then they went to FJax on the next two run plays. A penalty on Glenn, an incomplete pass and a punt.

This single run play out of a passing formation showed me that the 4 wide, shotgun spread offense did work. But for some reason the Bills didn't utilize that play again and kept trying to make certain other plays work, and they didn't work because the Patriots were stacking then box to stop Spiller.

The Patriots were stacking the box to stop Spiller and the Bills OC had no counter except to run FJax. The Bills O line had difficulty with both Wilfolk and Jones at the LG position. The Bills kept the TE in for a lot of plays to max protect...dunno why if the Patriots weren't blitzing that much.

In regards to the next game against the Carolina Panthers. As much as I want the Bills to own the Panthers. That front 7 of the Panthers is better then the front 7 of the Patriots IMO, and I expect them to blitz a whole lot more then 6 out of 32. Cam Newton could have a field day running / passing against the Bills injured defense. Will Spiller have a better day? If the Bills go 4 wide shotgun spread, then yea. If they max protect, who knows.

Edited by FeartheLosing

In regards to the next game against the Carolina Panthers. As much as I want the Bills to own the Panthers. That front 7 of the Panthers is better then the front 7 of the Patriots IMO, and I expect them to blitz a whole lot more then 6 out of 32. Cam Newton could have a field day running / passing against the Bills injured defense. Will Spiller have a better day? If the Bills go 4 wide shotgun spread, then yea. If they max protect, who knows.

Uuuh...I expect the opposite to come true. I expect him to have a VERY frustrating day. If we managed to confuse Brady, Cam's in for a helluva time...on the road...behind a compromised line.

I thought EJ did very well considering it was his first pro start. The playcalling may have been limited, but I noticed some formations where he had four wide sets.

Four wides is pretty complicated since he would have at least four people in the read progression. So it seems like the coaches have a lot of confidence in him.

Since it was expected to be a blow out, a one point loss against one of the best QB's of all time is not a bad showing at all.

Uuuh...I expect the opposite to come true. I expect him to have a VERY frustrating day. If we managed to confuse Brady, Cam's in for a helluva time...on the road...behind a compromised line.

Perhaps...

That Panther D line contained Russell Wilson and Marshawn Lynch pretty well, and the defense only allowed 12 pts against the #3 rushing offense from last year.

That Bills secondary has to be a concern, and the backup RB for the Patriots managed over 100 yards rushing. I know its only one game, but the bills are ranked 30th against the run.

Hey man, I want the Bills to win, and hope they do.

kj

Yep i would say its the perfect spot. And after readlng the article the Bills miss Levitre...maybe just maybe they should have paid him because C.J. is missing his good blocking. They will have to draft high on a guard next year.

What I love about football, there are some many excellent reads during the season. :thumbsup:

Edited by Bufcomments

Thanks, OP. A review like this confirms most of impressions walking out of the stadium. I have not witnessed a quarterback with the pocket presence and composure that EJ showed in his very first game in a very long time on this team. Beyond that, the most impressive thing that I noticed during both the live-action and review of the game is the fact that Manuel consistently showed the ability to throw receivers open. This is something that takes special physical and mental talent to do on a consistent basis in the NFL, and IMO, is one of the things that separates the good quarterbacks from the great ones. I have never been more encouraged coming out of a loss because we finally might have a very good one at the most important position in all of sports.

This is why is wasn't as upset after this loss as compared to last year at the end of the game in NE. Was pissed after that loss...

But I was pleased to see Manuel throwing his WR's open. Really I think they FINALLY got a QB that can play.

He's just going to get even better once he figures out how to throw deep in the Ralph. I think he misplayed the wind on the long throws.