Last minute drive...

Bronc24

It was so refreshing to not only have hope when the Bills took the field for the last drive, but to see EJ make it happen. How times have changed. In the same type of situation last year vs. the Titans I knew Pickspatrick would fail. 3 and out. I am a happy man.

On the TD the two DBs went to Hogan and let Stevie go. Hogan has never caught a pass in a regular season game.

It looks like the Panthers were jamming the middle to guard against a dive by the QB or RB, and left single coverage outside. They botched the coverage. Have to wonder if they were worried about a keeper, especially after watching EJ almost score on the previous play.

Iffy PI? Did I miss something? I was at the game and it looked like stevie was clearly grabbed woh his jersey pulled from where I was at, but didn't realize it was "iffy"

Same here. I just got back. I didn't there was any question.........What did I miss?

Glad they won and am very happy about it.......BUT, that last TD throw was about as lucky as can be. The ball was just thrown up for grabs....watched, replayed, and analyzed the play, and when EJ let it go, he had NO idea that the two defensive players would TOTALLY blow the play.....luckily, SJ was the only one there to "fight" for the ball. LOL

All of those penalties were completely legit. The one on Kuechly was obvious - he prevented the receiver from running to the spot where the ball was thrown. The one on Somers was obvious too -- you can't pull someone's helmet off, for chrissake. And the Aaron Williams one? Come on - that's a text book unnecessary roughness play.

Same here. I just got back. I didn't there was any question.........What did I miss?

you are correct. It was obvious interference. I don't get the fans here questioning that.

So did the iffy holding before the punt earlier in the game.

Hell, even the call on A. Williams could be called iffy, the ball was in the air, the WR jumped to make a play on the ball (even though it was above his head) and Williams hit him to push him out of bounds in case he did get his hands on it.

Spoken like a true Bills fan. We get about a million game changing ticky tack calls against us and can't accept it when we get one in our favor.

This was my response. I was screaming at the screen, calling bull **** about a great number of calls, and a few noncalls like a few cases of offensive holding and Stevie getting drilled after the play and getting a non-call. Even if that last one was iffy, the Bills earned that one.

And everything else on that drive was beautiful.

Glad they won and am very happy about it.......BUT, that last TD throw was about as lucky as can be. The ball was just thrown up for grabs....watched, replayed, and analyzed the play, and when EJ let it go, he had NO idea that the two defensive players would TOTALLY blow the play.....luckily, SJ was the only one there to "fight" for the ball. LOL

You have no idea what you're talking about.

Actually that was the one thing that scared me. Granted with 1:30 you can take a chance with more underneath stuff but I was screaming at the TV, to throw it down the field a little further, maybe 15 to 20 yards or so.

One thing I liked about the drive was the underneath stuff. If you look at how Brady marches down the field, he takes a bunch if underneath stuff, and then waits for the right time to push down The field..

Yeah...you have no idea what you are talking about. Stevie was inside across the DB's body and had the DB's hips opened and EJ let it go as soon as he saw Stevie break open which was on his second step. There wasn't double coverage on that side just singled on Stevie. Maybe they practiced that little rub play and he knew that once Stevie beat his man on the first couple steps he knew he had an open touch pass to Stevie. Should he have put it a little closer to the back corner? Perhaps. It is nice to see a completely moronic post criticizing a touchdown pass to win the game. Stay classy fella.

Yeah...you have no idea what you are talking about. Stevie was inside across the DB's body and had the DB's hips opened and EJ let it go as soon as he saw Stevie break open which was on his second step. There wasn't double coverage on that side just singled on Stevie. Maybe they practiced that little rub play and he knew that once Stevie beat his man on the first couple steps he knew he had an open touch pass to Stevie. Should he have put it a little closer to the back corner? Perhaps. It is nice to see a completely moronic post criticizing a touchdown pass to win the game. Stay classy fella.

LOL. Thanks for the insults & personal attacks....talk about "classy."

Yeah, been watching pro football for 40+ years, but I have no idea what I'm talking about. Gotta love this forum! :rolleyes:

Yeah, been watching pro football for 40+ years, but I have no idea what I'm talking about. Gotta love this forum! :rolleyes:

It was a miscommunication between the Panthers DBs (most likely due to all the injuries).

I didn't attack you or insult you. I said that calling that a lucky play and saying EJ simply threw it up for grabs was moronic. I didn't mean to insult you, I apologize for that.

I certainly am not going to insult you. However, to say the play was lucky and the ball was just thrown up for grabs is stretching your analysis a bit....

It was a miscommunication between the Panthers DBs (most likely due to all the injuries).

Totally agree. But WHEN THE BALL WAS THROWN, there was no way to know that the "miscommunication" was coming. Had there not been a "miscommunication", it would have been a toss up/fight for the ball, and since it wasn't thrown to the back of the end zone (was about 6 yards in), the defensive player would have certainly had a play on it.

ETA: When you really think about it, virtually ALL of those types of TDs, where the offense is down inside the 10, and the QB just lofts it up toward the corner of the endzone, and HOPES that his guy comes down with it, can be called lucky. In this case, it was lucky that the Panthers DBs screwed the pooch, so that made it easy for the Bills. But in hindsight, that play call was very bad. A better call would have been a fake into the line, then EJ rolling out with the option to run or pass. Of course that's just my opinion, but there's no one in the world, who knows anything about football, would call the "throw it up to your receiver and hopes he comes down with it" a high percentage play with time running out. Only caveat would be if you had someone like Randy Moss as the WR and some short DB covering him.

The bottom line is that the Bills got TWO big breaks on that final drive: the PI call, and the blown coverage. I think the latter is something we haven't seen in years, so maybe this is the turning point. Sure hope so.

Edited by John in Jax

I didn't attack you or insult you. I said that calling that a lucky play and saying EJ simply threw it up for grabs was moronic. I didn't mean to insult you, I apologize for that.

You managed to insult him again - while apologizing for insulting him...

+1

Just because you have been watching, doesn't mean you know schitt........You do know that EJ knows where the receivers are going to go...right?

Totally agree. But WHEN THE BALL WAS THROWN, there was no way to know that the "miscommunication" was coming. Had there not been a "miscommunication", it would have been a toss up/fight for the ball, and since it wasn't thrown to the back of the end zone (was about 6 yards in), the defensive player would have certainly had a play on it.

ETA: When you really think about it, virtually ALL of those types of TDs, where the offense is down inside the 10, and the QB just lofts it up toward the corner of the endzone, and HOPES that his guy comes down with it, can be called lucky. In this case, it was lucky that the Panthers DBs screwed the pooch, so that made it easy for the Bills. But in hindsight, that play call was very bad. A better call would have been a fake into the line, then EJ rolling out with the option to run or pass. Of course that's just my opinion, but there's no one in the world, who knows anything about football, would call the "throw it up to your receiver and hopes he comes down with it" a high percentage play with time running out. Only caveat would be if you had someone like Randy Moss as the WR and some short DB covering him.

The bottom line is that the Bills got TWO big breaks on that final drive: the PI call, and the blown coverage. I think the latter is something we haven't seen in years, so maybe this is the turning point. Sure hope so.

Glass always empty kind a guy! :thumbsup:

I'm glad EJ "guessed" correctly and didn't throw to the slant.

Just because you have been watching, doesn't mean you know schitt........You do know that EJ knows where the receivers are going to go...right?

Umm.....yes, it actually does. Thanks for playing though!

Yes, I know that a QB should know his receivers routes. As stated earlier though....watch the tape....when EJ threw the ball the blown coverage had NOT been revealed yet. I am looking at it again on my DVR right now. As the ball is just leaving EJ's fingertips, Stevie & the DB (#20) are side by side, both of them with their back to EJ, both of them facing the exact same way. Had that DB (#20) run with Stevie toward the corner, it would have been a fight/jump/tussle for the ball.

Not sure why people feel the need to argue with clear-cut facts, and denigrate other posters. Seems childish, but whatever.

...and why fake into the line? There were six seconds left and the Bills were out of time outs. No way the Panthers play run. Great play call that resulted in a TD. If you watch the play, EJ threw the ball after the slot corner bit.

Yes, I know that a QB should know his receivers routes. As stated earlier though....watch the tape....when EJ threw the ball the blown coverage had NOT been revealed yet. I am looking at it again on my DVR right now. As the ball is just leaving EJ's fingertips, Stevie & the DB (#20) are side by side, both of them with their back to EJ, both of them facing the exact same way. Had that DB (#20) run with Stevie toward the corner, it would have been a fight/jump/tussle for the ball.

Not sure why people feel the need to argue with clear-cut facts, and denigrate other posters. Seems childish, but whatever.

You mean kinda like how qb's release the ball before the receiver makes his break? Is that "lucky" too?

HAD that's the key word. Stevie and EJ know where Stevie is going......the defender doesn't. You should know that after watching so much football. Edited by thebug

But in hindsight, that play call was very bad. A better call would have been a fake into the line, then EJ rolling out with the option to run or pass. Of course that's just my opinion, but there's no one in the world, who knows anything about football, would call the "throw it up to your receiver and hopes he comes down with it" a high percentage play with time running out.

Hackett's call was based on extensive film study, years of experience and watching his players in practice. EJ knew exactly where Stevie was supposed to be and the play was specifically designed to get him free. Best of all, it worked.

What is your play call based on?

EDIT: absolutely NOBODY would have bit on that fake dive into the line you suggested, given the time left and no timeouts.

Edited by BillnutinHouston

Either way the correct call was for 2 quick passes, wasnt it 3rd down? So a fade to the corner seems like a no brainer. I would of expected our Qbs in the past to hang on to the ball for a sack fumble. Seeing a Bills Qb come through in the clutch, well thats something Im not use to. Hats off to EJ.

You mean kinda like how qb's release the ball before the receiver makes his break? Is that "lucky" too?

HAD that's the key word. Stevie and EJ know where Stevie is going......the defender doesn't. You should know that after watching so much football.

LOL. Your post above seems to insinuate that the DB was just faked out by a clever route run by Stevie, instead of the actual FACT of the situation....that ONE of those TWO DBs (#20 most likely) was supposed to cover Stevie, but they had a miscommunication, and they BLEW the coverage.

@BillnutinHouston: Re the play-action pass I suggested: Using YOUR own logic, sounds like the Bills should have just run it in, because "NOBODY would have bit on the fake dive." NOBODY bites on the run = easy TD for Fred Jackson, who was the lone setback on that play. You should be a coach!

Whatever though, I'm done here. You can't get blood from a rock.

I'm super happy the Bills finally got some breaks go their way at the end of a game. :thumbsup: