Buffalo News reporting Byrd wants traded by Oct. 29 deadline

YoloinOhio

• Replies 672
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was listening to WGR earlier today and Joe B had a significant point about the whole Jarius Byrd situation that I think merits further discussion. Joe said (paraphrasing) that back in March the Bills hadsome question about how well Byrd fits in the new defensive scheme that Pettine has implemented. The second question was if the Bills would want to pay top dollar for a safety that might not be a perfect fit?

Now lets be clear, no one is saying that Byrd isn't a great, ball hawking safety. The reality is though that the prior Bills defenses are very different from what we'll likely see on the field this Sunday. Byrd won't be able to sit back in a cover 2 scheme, read the QB's eyes and grap the pick. Safeties in Pettine's system are much more physical and aggressive. Pettine is also going to employ schemes where he'll have three safeties on the field at times. Jarius has never been a great "in the box" type of safety and he's not a jarring hitter.

The Bills wonder, and rightly so, what his production will look like in this new system hence their reluctance to go out and spend top dollar.

Not saying it's the right position for the Bills to take but I can totally understand their line of thinking.

none of this matters...Eugene Parker has made this about money only....all other issues are not important...he has a history or money and Byrd has bought into it. He knows as long as the Bills care about their team Byrd will win....I say the he?? with him and flip him the byrd

Just watched the Byrd, (sorry, from here on out "Tyrd") news conference, what a sour puss. I hope that's the last interview and he just declines to talk to press and gives no interviews. Just play football, oh, and by the way, make $7 million this year. What a cry baby

The only people I see crying are Bills fans. This thread is a tidal wave of tears.

I understand the gut reaction that 6.9M is a ton of money; however in the lala land of pro sports everyone pays it is just who you pay how much. The plantar faciatis (sp) changes things. I just don't think the Bills have earned the benefit of the doubt after 13 years of nearly zero

I do too John but not at $9.5 per or whatever he was asking for. Especially now knowing that he's got issues with his feet. Too many question marks to not give him a one year franchise tag tryout.

i can't believe that the foot thing isn't brought up more. I mean he had it last year and took "a couple shots" the Bills knew that his foot could be an issue. And it is. In the end who knows what they offered, but I don't blame them for making him the highest paid player at his position...

Fit is overrated when it comes to elite players, especially on defense in my opinion. Elite defenders can play zone, play man, tackle, make plays on the ball, etc. Now whether you consider Byrd elite or not is a different question. But in my opinion, he can do all of those things.

I've pretty much been on the side of not making Byrd the top paid Safety in the league...But I basically agree with this take...I have little doubt Jairus would fit in pretty well in any scheme...He's a very good, well rounded, Free Safety...I just don't think he's the best, most well rounded, Safety... B-)

I've pretty much been on the side of not making Byrd the top paid Safety in the league...But I basically agree with this take...I have little doubt Jairus would fit in pretty well in any scheme...He's a very good, well rounded, Free Safety...I just don't think he's the best, most well rounded, Safety... B-)

Would you say that he was the best most rounded safety available in free agency this year?

I do too John but not at $9.5 per or whatever he was asking for. Especially now knowing that he's got issues with his feet. Too many question marks to not give him a one year franchise tag tryout.

We don't ever spend all of our cap $, we can afford this guy. He is worth it.

none of this matters...Eugene Parker has made this about money only....all other issues are not important...he has a history or money and Byrd has bought into it. He knows as long as the Bills care about their team Byrd will win....I say the he?? with him and flip him the byrd

How exactly would they "flip him the byrd"? By trading him? By tagging him next year and paying him 20% more as well as not having a tag available to use for Dareus? Put him on IR and pay him 6.9 million $ to hang around the house (where he wouldn't risk injury and leaving us in the same position next year as we are now?

Byrd is very good. It's not about whether he 'fits'. It's about whether the way pettine uses safeties if you can get good production at a smaller cap number and use that cap elsewhere for like...linebackers.

We are 19.1 M under the cap as it is.

I disagree with all three of your points

Bills carried over 9 million to this year

They have 19 million to spend this year. Yes, they are 19 million under the cap.

An elite safety is not worth elite $? That is why our franchise never progresses, because we let our talent go elsewhere to succeed: Winfield, P Williams, Spikes, Fletcher, even lesser guys that were worth keeping around like Greer. That speaks volumes when you get rid of guys who pull their weight.

Edited by justnzane

I get all of the talk saying he might not fit into the new defense & he may not be aggressive enough & all , but just based on his past performance & the Bills FO past performance he should get paid by the Bills .

That meaning they paid Fitz for crying out loud & they paid him based on 4 or 5 games in one season & never took into consideration his resume up to that point .

Don't get me wrong i think Fitz is a GREAT team guy, very gutsy player & sacrificed everything when he was on the field for the team a true Bills type of player but, that being said the front office was willing to recklessly write up , agree to & sign his contract when his resume wasn't 1/5 what Byrds is .

The guy is TOP NFL Talent when it comes to his position . Why are the Bills FO so willing to pay a guy with Fitz resume & not Byrd based on his resume ?

Too I think Byrd is using the foot thing to give a little back to the Bills, to show them look i will give you as much as you give to me ... And i can't really say as i blame him !!!

Edited by T master

Bills carried over 9 million to this year

They have 19 million to spend this year. Yes, they are 19 million under the cap.

An elite safety is not worth elite $?

That is why our franchise never progresses, because we let our talent go elsewhere to succeed: Winfield, P Williams, Spikes, Fletcher, even lesser guys that were worth keeping around like Greer. That speaks volumes when you get rid of guys who pull their weight.

Your 19 million under (at present) number is incorrect.

He IS being paid Top Five Safety money

For every player you named who left (over a DECADE) we have signed , and kept, others.

We Have Spiller and Darius to extend coming up.

Edited by B-Man

I wonder how much the Bills skittishness about his PF injury last season is driving all of this. From a player's perspective, an injury like that should lead him to demand the long term contract ASAFP and not wait around for another year. The team, on the other hand, might have thought that granting a long term deal at a Goldsen level would be too risky given the foot issue.

The ironic thing is that the foot problem is driving fans to claim that he's dogging it, when it might be the reason the Bills never gave him a good long term offer in the first place.

Or he could be completely healed - he had many months during off-season - and is dogging it to try to get Bills to make trade they would not agree to before since Bills have declared they will not waive ability to tag next year. Also a realistic possibility unless you only have view player is right like you have posted many, many times.