Buffalo News reporting Byrd wants traded by Oct. 29 deadline

YoloinOhio

Jairus Byrd focused on healing, not trade reports: http://www.buffalobi...e1-1d2e758ae534

"Despite the reports that his agent is trying to work out a trade for him to play elsewhere, Bills FS Jairus Byrdicon-article-link.gifis more concerned about getting his ailing feet healthy to play on Sundays."

Yeah...Byrd's focusing on football, not a trade. His agent is trying to work out a trade.

That's why players have agents.

• Replies 672
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Give it time, it's coming. Because I doubt Spiller will settle for top 10 money in 2015.

he doesn't have a choice.....he's not a free agent until 2016.

8/6/2010: Signed a six-year, $39.3 million contract. The deal contains $20.8 million guaranteed. Another $12.5 million is available through incentives, roughly $12 million of which are available in the final year. Spiller is eligible for an annual $250,000 workout bonus throughout the contract's life. 2013: $2,623,334, 2014: $1,748,750, 2015: $2,196,663, 2016: Free Agent

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/5566/cj-spiller

From the desk of Doug Whaley:

"Although Jairus and his representation have expressed interest to the Buffalo Bills organiztion regarding their wishes for a trade, I would like to take this opportunity to inform both them, and those of you following this situation, that no such trade is forth coming. In today's National Football League, the difference between winning and losing seasons can come down to a handful of plays over the course of the season. It is of the utmost importance to field the most talented team possible, every year. As such, we fully intend to have Jairus Byrd on our roster for this season, and next--whether that involves the use of the franchise tag or not is entirely up to him. Should he feel that it is in his best interest to pursue a new career path following the completion of the 2014 NFL season, the Buffalo Bills will, at that time, wish him the best on his football journey. Until then, please consider this matter closed between the Buffalo Bills organization, any representation of said client, and any interested national or local media parties. Thank you, go Bills!"

Thats how easy it is to be an NFL gm. Let's see if doug can just copy and paste this on to some Bills letter head.

Well, you're right but you're wrong. Yes, it's easy...because his job is to say NOTHING.

When you're defending, you're losing. The Bills are perfectly positioned here. Any move would be a bad one.

Apparently the team is never wrong, especially when it involves players who won't toe the line. Few here ever place value on a player outside of their pay. Had the Bills signed Peters, they would have had a top LT as indicated by his multiple All-Pro selections, a much better OL overall, and would not have had to draft and OT in the 2nd of 2012.

The finished product has been wrong for 13 years.

I'm liking what I'm seeing so far.... Coach Maroon5 seems like he knows what he's doing. Let's see....

he doesn't have a choice.....he's not a free agent until 2016.

8/6/2010: Signed a six-year, $39.3 million contract. The deal contains $20.8 million guaranteed. Another $12.5 million is available through incentives, roughly $12 million of which are available in the final year. Spiller is eligible for an annual $250,000 workout bonus throughout the contract's life. 2013: $2,623,334, 2014: $1,748,750, 2015: $2,196,663, 2016: Free Agent

http://www.rotoworld...5566/cj-spiller

If Spiller is as good as everyone predicts by then, he will get big money and he should because his window is very small for an RB. It will be his last chance for a huge deal. I love CJ and would applaud the Bills if they paid him (if he is at that level of production at that point) but I also would not blame them if, depending on the state of the rest of the team, they let him get paid the big $ elsewhere and go with a younger model. There are stud RBs coming out of college every year.

Agreed. But it sounds to me like there is no flexibility on both sides of the table, not just the one. And why should Byrd want to be back bad enough to take less money than he feels he is worth on the open market? Why shouldn't the Bills want him bad enough to pay what he is asking? They sure did for "Super" Mario, and then some. The reality is they came to an impasse. Due to a poor job (in my opinion) by the players union, the Bills had the tag card to play which they did. Which led to posturing by Parker/Byrd and so on and ultimately nobody wins.

I think that's the whole point...He doesn't...If he did...This thing would already be in the rearview mirror...

And I'm not saying Byrd should want to take less than what he believes he is worth...I am saying (and I'm pretty sure I'm close) that by not doing so Byrd is effectively walking away from a 5-6 year deal that would have paid him close to $8 million annually...And over $20 million of that in guaranteed cash...It certainly is his prerogative to walk away from that deal if he believes he deserves more...But it takes a special kind of motivation to walk away from that kind of deal...His motivation to get out of Buffalo must be sky high... B-)

For all those saying get rid of him:

"From what I understand, someone is saying 'sources.' I would like to know what sources they're talking about before you can say sources," Byrd initially remarked when the report was brought up. "My focus is just on football now, honestly. For this team, my teammates mean the world to me. I don't want to be any distraction to them. We have a big game coming up. We need to be 100 percent on New England, and that's where our focus is at. That's it. That's that."

http://www.wgr550.com/Bills--Byrd-responds-to-trade-request-report/17227853

Just imagine if they could somehow finagle a 1st round pick for him.

And then we'd have two first round picks.

Which we could trade for the #1 pick, in order to draft Clowney, a/k/a the Return of Bruce Smith.

All thanks to Jarius Byrd and Eugene Parker.

Hey a guy can dream...

what makes you think we are going to have to trade up for that pick?

"From what I understand, someone is saying 'sources.' I would like to know what sources they're talking about before you can say sources," Byrd initially remarked when the report was brought up. "My focus is just on football now, honestly. For this team, my teammates mean the world to me. I don't want to be any distraction to them. We have a big game coming up. We need to be 100 percent on New England, and that's where our focus is at. That's it. That's that."

http://www.wgr550.co...report/17227853

Nothing there says that the report is untrue. He has never once said he wants to be here. I loved Byrd, but every step of this process has made me hate him.

http://www.wgr550.com/Bills--Byrd-responds-to-trade-request-report/17227853

pssst, the sources are from people your agent is calling..... the information from an executive on another NFL club and another agent who is not employed by Byrd lends credence to the uncomfortable situation that exists between the Bills and their Pro Bowl safety.

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/bills-nfl/sources-byrd-agent-trying-to-orchestrate-trade-20130904

of course Tyrd could just flat out say he doesn't want to be traded....nooooooo, he hides behind the "name the source" shell game.

Edited by papazoid

pssst, the sources are from people your agent is calling..... the information from an executive on another NFL club and another agent who is not employed by Byrd lends credence to the uncomfortable situation that exists between the Bills and their Pro Bowl safety.

http://www.buffalone...-trade-20130904

of course Tyrd could just flat out say he doesn't want to be traded....nooooooo, he hides behind the "name the source" shell game.

While Byrd has been a focus for those outside the organization after he was unable to reach a long term contract extension with the club earlier this summer, head coach Doug Marrone maintains the veteran safety has not been a distraction to the team.

“Oh, absolutely not. Absolutely not,” said Marrone. “My focus is on the team and this game. For me, that’s exactly what I’m looking at.

“In regards to Jairus’ situation, from my standpoint as the head coach, he’s out here right now working. He’s been working like heck on the field. He knows what we’re doing defensively. I still go back—he’s been a great teammate, helping everyone. He’s been a great pro. That’s what I evaluate it on, how he’s doing for us, in the locker room, on the field. I have zero complaints about what he’s doing.”

Why listen to Doug Marrone when we have you to set us all straight? :lol:

So you think free agents will place emphasis on the Byrd situation, but not on the extensions signed by Freddie, SJ, Pears, Urbik, Wood, Kyle Williams, Chandler, and others?

Fred Jackson: Re-signed to a 3 year 10.8M contract extension

Steve Johnson: Re-signed to a 5 year 36.25M contract extension

Erik Pears: Re-signed to a 4 year 9.8M contract extension

Kraig Urbik: Re-signed to a 4 year 13.3M contract extension

Eric Wood: Re-signed to a 4 year 25.4M contract extension

Kyle Williams: Re-signed to a 6 year 33.6M contract extension

Scott Chandler: Re-signed to a 2 year 5.5M contract extension

Jackson, Pears, Urbik, and Chandler inked smaller contracts with little guaranteed money. Williams' deal is above average and Stevie got a decent sized contract. But none of those players are 1st or 2nd team All-Pro caliber players and Byrd is, or at least has played at that level.

I hope they don't trade him. I hope he grows moss on his azz as he rides the pine for entire year.

If he doesn't want to contribute to the team's success, then why should the team contribute to his success?

!@#$ you Byrd and double-!@#$ you Parker.

They aren't going to franchise him next season. It would cost the same as what he's asking for a long term deal and they've already said that they don't want to give him that.

Byrd will likely get what he is asking for on the open market and the Bills don't want to pay it so a long term deal is out.

He's going to get traded before the start of next season. I would start by asking for a #1 but a #2 or #3 is probably more likely.

Byrd after practice today: http://www.buffalobi...2e-89219f0d9a01

@AdamBenigni

#Bills Byrd agent Eugene Parker: "There is no truth to the rumor we are actively seeking a trade at this time." @wgrz

I appreciate the link to the video but from now on, I'm just gonna read what Byrd says vs. listening to him. He just doesn't look or sound like the same kid in previous interviews. And his answer about his relationship with Whaley is strained.

I think the media needs to get off it, too. Let the kid play football. If he's OK with doing that, then we all should be. If he isn't, that will show up soon enough. But I don't get the impression Byrd is that kind of player.

GO BILLS!!!

Woah, what curse of McLoughlin brought you out?

I think the above doesn't get discussed much.

What constitutes a win for each side? It's easy to gauge a win for the player/agent - to get the best long term contract. But what is a win for the team? Get the best contract from its side, or to build a winning program, knowing that sometimes you need to pay more than your comfort level?

At this point I think each side may very well be defining a win as getting the better of the other guy. Sadly, this does not always equate with getting the best deal for yourself.

I like Byrd and would like him here long term and think he fits the re-make of the team perfectly, but keeping Byrd and losing subsequent negotiating credibility is the wrong tactic. Giving in and trading him doesn't help either. The Bills have to keep him this year unless they get undeniable value in a trade. From Byrd's point of view I just don't see how forcing the Bills to trade him gets him anything unless he thinks the new team will agree to not franchise him next year. Who would do that and still offer the Bills a high enough pick or good enough player to have them interested?

None of this makes logical sense which leads me to believe it is a pissing match.

Edited by OGTEleven

Byrd after practice today: http://www.buffalobills.com/video/videos/Jairus-Byrd-Thursday-Press-Conference/3eba2969-f8f3-4c34-ac2e-89219f0d9a01

@AdamBenigni

#Bills Byrd agent Eugene Parker: "There is no truth to the rumor we are actively seeking a trade at this time." @wgrz

key word "actively"......meaning, they were, but are not currently.....parker now realizes no one is interested.