Buffalo News reporting Byrd wants traded by Oct. 29 deadline

YoloinOhio

Apparently TBD does not allow links to Bleacher Report, otherwise I'd have a link here. But I found this by Googling.

$7.4M/yr. Vs $9.1M+ Bills offer vs what Parker wants.

PTR

Adam Benigni ✔ @AdamBenigni

Source: #Bills Byrd demanding to be highest paid safety in NFL. Told Bills were willing to offer top 4-5 money. #Impasse @wgrz

11:44 AM - 15 Jul 2013

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/22771675/report-jairus-byrd-not-getting-deal-wants-to-be-highestpaid-safety

• Replies 672
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We're back to the player being required to bow to the will of the team. When did that become so? Parker went to the team with a well-researched offer and the Bills didn't agree. Thereafter, there was little to no negotiations. Why would a player and agent take a likely large hometown discount with the entire NFL community, players, agents, team executives watching? Parker would lose major points for having his player agree to something beneath the going rate as would Byrd because it short-circuits other players from winning bigger contracts when they're up.

Players go from hero to zero among the homer crowd faster that a Ferrari goes 0 to 60.

Do you know what the story would be right now if the Bills paid Byrd what he wanted? How could we be so stupid to overpay a player with a health issue?

That seems to be absent in your rant. That Byrd had ben playing with PF all last season, and even after an offseasons rest he's no better.

That's the thing about holding out. You think something better will come along if you just wait. My old boss used to say "Pigs get fat, Hogs get slaughtered."

PTR

Byrd is one of the best tackling defensive backs I've ever seen. His first year he was all ball hawk. He is now a complete safety. Worth every penny of the highest paid safety in the league IMO.

You aren't the only one who thinks so.

I'm not about to read over 24 pages to see if this has been covered (this site is too popular for it's own good now!). But, after hearing Joe B on GR today say that a team that trades for him is under the same guidelines as the Bills - cannot sign him to a long term contract until next year, how can this make any sense?

Why would Byrd want to go without getting a long term deal, but why would a team make some sort of promise that they will sign him to whatever - $50M/5 years next winter, and then have him blow out his knee? There's no way they would be able to live up to that.

And, these draft picks I'm hearing - 3rd and 4th. Wouldn't we get that anyway as compensatory??

I'm not about to read over 24 pages to see if this has been covered (this site is too popular for it's own good now!). But, after hearing Joe B on GR today say that a team that trades for him is under the same guidelines as the Bills - cannot sign him to a long term contract until next year, how can this make any sense?

Why would Byrd want to go without getting a long term deal, but why would a team make some sort of promise that they will sign him to whatever - $50M/5 years next winter, and then have him blow out his knee? There's no way they would be able to live up to that.

And, these draft picks I'm hearing - 3rd and 4th. Wouldn't we get that anyway as compensatory??

the CBA has deadline dates, Tyrd/Parker are well aware of them. they chose to decline the bills long term offer of Top 4-5 money, in hopes of getting Top 1 money next year.

if the Bills do NOT trade Tyrd, because of his health (plantar faciitis & degenerative hip),the Bills are MORE likely to tag him again next year ($8.3 mil) over the Bills/Tyrd agreeing on a long term deal that makes him the #1 highest paid safety.

if Tyrd did get traded this season or next, it is more likely the new team would give Tyrd the long term contract he desires.

therefore, Tyrd/Parker "wants"...I mean is "open" to a trade.

The change has started but apparently you've been too busy banging the same drum to see it

Really? Watching Manning last night, I couldn't help but recall that the Bills were a team not on his short list.

PS: And, yes, I'd rather have Manning than Super Mario.

Do you know what the story would be right now if the Bills paid Byrd what he wanted? How could we be so stupid to overpay a player with a health issue?

That seems to be absent in your rant. That Byrd had ben playing with PF all last season, and even after an offseasons rest he's no better.

That's the thing about holding out. You think something better will come along if you just wait. My old boss used to say "Pigs get fat, Hogs get slaughtered."

PTR

Why would a team use its franchise tag on a guy that they feel has enough red flags health wise that they don't want to sign him to a long term contract at top money? Especially if there are two excellent players coming due for free agency at the same time and both would get top money in free agency and they must make a decision which one they want to use the tag upon?

Why would a team use its franchise tag on a guy that they feel has enough red flags health wise that they don't want to sign him to a long term contract at top money? Especially if there are two excellent players coming due for free agency at the same time and both would get top money in free agency and they must make a decision which one they want to use the tag upon?

the only reason is because the difference in the tag value for safeties ($6.9) vs offensive lineman ($11.8) is huge (almost $5 mil).

So, in a word: Money. It's not about talent or making the best investments to build a winning team, it's about money.

Byrd is a better safety than Levitre is a guard so it is about talent as well. They tagged the better player as well as the less expensive one.

You act like you're surprised by the influence that money has on decisions. You also act like the Bills are the only team in the league that makes decisions with bottom line impacts in mind.

GO BILLS!!!

So, in a word: Money. It's not about talent or making the best investments to build a winning team, it's about money.

I'd agree it's about money.....but it's also about talent & position. Byrd is generally considered in the top 5 at his position, Levitre not so much. Also, considering the importance that the new DC places on the Safety position.....and rightly or wrongly the perceived lesser importance placed upon the Guard position.....Byrd was the obvious tag choice regardless of actual dollars or even cap dollars spent.

Byrd is a better safety than Levitre is a guard so it is about talent as well. They tagged the better player as well as the less expensive one.

You act like you're surprised by the influence that money has on decisions. You also act like the Bills are the only team in the league that makes decisions with bottom line impacts in mind.

GO BILLS!!!

Actually, I just rephrased what Papazoid wrote.

You act like a mouthpiece for the Bills front office.

I think Levitre is a better guard than Tyrd is a safety.

I think that a guard is physically engaged on every single play, a safety is not.

I think a safety is easier to replace than a guard.

I think Chris Johnson is going to out gain C J Spiller this year.

Andy Levitre has never missed a start in 4 years.

Jairus Tyrd has only played 1 season without missing a start (and has a degenerative hip condition).

Andy Levitre signed 6 yr(s) / $46,800,000 for an average of $7.8 mil

Jairus Tyrd wants an average of $9 mil /year

I would rather spend my money on Levitre.

Edited by papazoid

I'd agree it's about money.....but it's also about talent & position. Byrd is generally considered in the top 5 at his position, Levitre not so much. Also, considering the importance that the new DC places on the Safety position.....and rightly or wrongly the perceived lesser importance placed upon the Guard position.....Byrd was the obvious tag choice regardless of actual dollars or even cap dollars spent.

That may be. But, the original point was that the Bills were being smart because they knew or suspected Byrd was damaged goods all along. So, if Byrd is damaged goods and you know that, why then would you come to the conclusion he was one of the best at his position, or any position? Why tag a guy that might be cooked?

Really? Watching Manning last night, I couldn't help but recall that the Bills were a team not on his short list.

PS: And, yes, I'd rather have Manning than Super Mario.

Wow, that's a gem right there.

Because as K-9 said, Byrd is a better FS than Levitre is an OG and because they figured his PF would resolve over the off-season. They probably also felt that they had a better replacement for Levitre on the roster than Byrd.

That may be. But, the original point was that the Bills were being smart because they knew or suspected Byrd was damaged goods all along. So, if Byrd is damaged goods and you know that, why then would you come to the conclusion he was one of the best at his position, or any position? Why tag a guy that might be cooked?

Sorry, hadn't kept up to date with all the details there.

Sounds to me that the tagging of Byrd would suggest that the rumour that the Bills suspected Byrd was damaged goods might not be accurate.

If they knew, the only reason I can think of is that they wanted to use him to make a trade and get something for him rather than simply letting him walk.....but the timelines don't really match on that. Furthermore.....if Byrd knew about the severity of the injury at that point, surely he would have jumped at the guaranteed deal the Bills offered as any trade(or FA signing) would involve a physical that would then potentially lower his value.

Actually, I just rephrased what Papazoid wrote.

You act like a mouthpiece for the Bills front office.

Having been associated with them as a kid and later as a young man, I don't deny my bias towards the organization. Nor do I deny my rancor at the incessant amount of uninformed, front office sucks, "Ralph is cheap" crap that's been tossed around for the 17 years I've been a member of this community.

Mr. Wilson can't run a football organization to save his life half the time given his track record with coaching and front office hires. And he's always admitted to that. But don't act like every team in the league isn't committed to their bottom line or that the Bills are the only team that faces difficult personnel decisions, especially in the era of free agency.

Every fan wants to keep all of their favorite players all the time. Unfortunately, that's just not a realistic idea.

GO BILLS!!!

I think that a guard is physically engaged on every single play, a safety is not.

Say nothing of the raw economics and how it clearly undermines the position that a FS is more important than a OL as you posted above. The OL gets paid nearly twice as much.

Andy Levitre has never missed a start in 4 years.

Jairus Tyrd has only played 1 season without missing a start.

Tyrd, really? How old are you?

Having been associated with them as a kid and later as a young man, I don't deny my bias towards the organization. Nor do I deny my rancor at the incessant amount of uninformed, front office sucks, "Ralph is cheap" crap that's been tossed around for the 17 years I've been a member of this community.

Mr. Wilson can't run a football organization to save his life half the time given his track record with coaching and front office hires. And he's always admitted to that. But don't act like every team in the league isn't committed to their bottom line or that the Bills are the only team that faces difficult personnel decisions, especially in the era of free agency.

Every fan wants to keep all of their favorite players all the time. Unfortunately, that's just not a realistic idea.

GO BILLS!!!

How many millions are the Bills under the cap?