Buffalo News reporting Byrd wants traded by Oct. 29 deadline

YoloinOhio

• Replies 672
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How many millions are the Bills under the cap?

I think that was reported above.

And it's entirely irrelevant. Not to the fans, of course, whose limited scope just screams, "Pay the man! You have the cap room!" But it matters to the Bills' front office and their evaluations of player value relative to talent level. Fans think Byrd is the best in the game, no questions asked. I think the Bills made an offer based on their honest evaluation of his value relative to his talent. You may not like being told he has holes in his game, but he does and the Bills' offer reflects that.

GO BILLS!!!

And it's entirely irrelevant. Not to the fans, of course, whose limited scope just screams, "Pay the man! You have the cap room!" But it matters to the Bills' front office and their evaluations of player value relative to talent level. Fans think Byrd is the best in the game, no questions asked. I think the Bills made an offer based on their honest evaluation of his value relative to his talent. You may not like being told he has holes in his game, but he does and the Bills' offer reflects that.

GO BILLS!!!

The Bills pay guys (Mario, Kyle W, Wood, SJ), they are idiots for overpaying. They don't pay guys, they are cheap.

Like most things in life, this goes both ways. I 100% get Byrd's position. He is playing on a 1 year deal and could blow out a knee & his career's over. At the same time, the Bills' FO has to look to the future and plan accordingly. Spiller will be up soon. If EJ is a legit QB, he will cost a ton. And S may be a position they think is very replaceable. It's not as simple as just pay the guy.

Personally, I'd make Byrd the top paid S. IMO, he's earned it. I've never seen a defensive playmaker like him in Buffalo. And I think S is a much more important position in today's NFL. Plus in a few years, the contract won't like as bad compared to other S. I just hope they get something worked out.

And Levitre got more than that, right? Because, if they couldn't afford to keep him at all, he must have signed for more than $22.6M somewhere else, right?

Where was this reported? My understanding of the situation was that they didn't want to pay him $8M/year when they knew they'd have to give a new contract to Eric Wood, who is a better player. They extended Urbik for $4M/year...you can't tie up $18M/year in a center and 2 guards...why is this so hard to understand?

Where was this reported? My understanding of the situation was that they didn't want to pay him $8M/year when they knew they'd have to give a new contract to Eric Wood, who is a better player. They extended Urbik for $4M/year...you can't tie up $18M/year in a center and 2 guards...why is this so hard to understand?

You have to find a way to bash the Bills somehow. Duh/ There is no doubt the Bills could have paid Levitre. But they didn't. He's a good player but guards don't win SBs.

I know I've been dogging Byrd...

but for the record I would have paid Byrd what Parker was asking.....that's right, you heard me.

lets assume the bills offered Top 4-5 money at $8.25 mil/year and Parker wanted $9 mil /year.

are you kidding me ???? we have a stalemate over less than $1 million a year for a Pro Bowl player ?????

Levitre, Wood & Byrd are the type of players you slightly overpay for.

Edited by papazoid

but for the record I would have paid Byrd what Parker was asking.....that's right, you heard me.

lets assume the bills offered Top 4-5 money at $8.25 mil/year and Parker wanted $9 mil /year.

are you kidding me ???? we have a stalemate over less than $1 million a year for a Pro Bowl player ?????

Well, we have no idea the #s. And I won't overpay on Levitre. I just think G is one of the most replaceable positions in football. If he can stay healthy, Wood is much more important to the team. So is Glenn.

GO BILLS!!!

It's more nuanced than simply saying pay the man obviously. Certainly positional value, the player himself and scheme must be factored. However, it's clear teams have re-evaluated interior lineman and placed more emphasis on the mobile types who excel at pass-blocking, which Levitre certainly was. More are being drafted and guards are getting bigger contracts.

The Bills went out and spent a first round pick on a new QB and proceeded to allow their best OL to depart and replaced him with journeymen. When we talk about synergy, it's certainly not at OBD because for each talented player they add, one is removed from the equation. In this case, they did it before the QB came on board. I'd even argue that a LG is more important than a center, given the physical requirements to be good there are far less available than playing center.

I don't start overpaying for anybody, particularly a safety, until this team starts winning games: too many others holes IMHO.

Guys are going to want to get OUT of here instead of come here until the Bills start winning, which may still be a couple years.

It's more nuanced than simply saying pay the man obviously. Certainly positional value, the player himself and scheme must be factored. However, it's clear teams have re-evaluated interior lineman and placed more emphasis on the mobile types who excel at pass-blocking, which Levitre certainly was. More are being drafted and guards are getting bigger contracts.

The Bills went out and spent a first round pick on a new QB and proceeded to allow their best OL to depart and replaced him with journeymen. When we talk about synergy, it's certainly not at OBD because for each talented player they add, one is removed from the equation. In this case, they did it before the QB came on board. I'd even argue that a LG is more important than a center, given the physical requirements to be good there are far less available than playing center.

Why are so many good Gs allowed to leave via FAcy then? The Saints let Nicks want. The Seahwaks let Hutchinson go. The Chargers let Vasquez go. Additionally, this is the 1st year you have seen guards taken in the top of the draft.

And the C makes all the line calls. That's especially important in an uptempo attack. The risk in re-signing Wood is the huge injury concern. But if both are healthy, Wood is the more important player and think a lot of NFL people would agree with that.

Of course, if the Bills spent big money on a G, I'm sure you would be criticizing them for that too.

Why are so many good Gs allowed to leave via FAcy then? The Saints let Nicks want. The Seahwaks let Hutchinson go. The Chargers let Vasquez go. Additionally, this is the 1st year you have seen guards taken in the top of the draft.

And the C makes all the line calls. That's especially important in an uptempo attack. The risk in re-signing Wood is the huge injury concern. But if both are healthy, Wood is the more important player and think a lot of NFL people would agree with that.

Of course, if the Bills spent big money on a G, I'm sure you would be criticizing them for that too.

Until the Bills go 19-0 and have All-Pros at every position, an argument will exist that they have incorrectly prioritized their spending.

Please keep up.

Apparently TBD does not allow links to Bleacher Report, otherwise I'd have a link here. But I found this by Googling.

$7.4M/yr. Vs $9.1M+ Bills offer vs what Parker wants.

PTR

sounds credible.

but even that is too broad a brush - the saints already had huge dollars in their other guard, jahri evans, and proceed to give a pretty large contract to grubbs as nicks replacement (7m per) for instance.

really theres no one way to build it, and some will always be upset. as another poster said, unless you have 22 all pros.... and then wed complain about depth.

GO BILLS!!!

cap room is a limited and perishable resource in the nfl. id rather they maximize their value of that quantity than leave it unused. that doesnt mean throw money at everything and anything but this was a year we shouldve been stacking money into and totally neglected to do so.

NO allowed Nicks to depart after they gave Jahri Evans a huge deal. Hutchinson's contract contained a poison pill such that SEA couldn't match. Vasquez got a 4 yr 23.5M deal, which isn't massive. Your argument is pure sophistry here.

And so what if this was the first year guards were drafted higher? Teams have been paying more for them for years, particularly LG's who need to be mobile. Finding interior who can move and pass block is more challenging given the pass-happy offenses which have evolved. Teams aren't looking for the OLineman that Nix preferred, who needed to be 320+.

I criticize the Bills for having stunk for almost a decade and a half with another rebuild staring them in the face. If criticism isn't warranted now because there are new people, then so be it. Fandom does not mean living in fantasy land. We've been down this road before.

Wow, that's a gem right there.

Because as K-9 said, Byrd is a better FS than Levitre is an OG and because they figured his PF would resolve over the off-season. They probably also felt that they had a better replacement for Levitre on the roster than Byrd.

That's utter baloney. They knew who Byrd's agent was and apparently they had preliminary discussions at the combine. There was 99% certainty that the only way a deal would get done without a hold out would be to pay Byrd the going rate for a top safety in 2013 free agency. That's why I hate people quoting Benigni's tweet. He mischaracterized the demand.

As for replacements on the roster, that's debatable too, especially since they also let Rhinegold tap out.

We've been down the Levitre road numerous times. No need for me to rehash anything here. He's gone. I'm past it.

You can argue all you'd like about a LG being more important than a center, but you'd be hard-pressed to find much, if any, agreement on that point. But I'd be interested in reading anything you can find, though. I'm not opposed to shifts in paradigm, I just need to be convinced.

GO BILLS!!!

That's utter baloney. They knew who Byrd's agent was and apparently they had preliminary discussions at the combine. There was 99% certainty that the only way a deal would get done without a hold out would be to pay Byrd the going rate for a top safety in 2013 free agency. That's why I hate people quoting Benigni's tweet. He mischaracterized the demand.

As for replacements on the roster, that's debatable too, especially since they also let Rhinegold tap out.

I'm confused...Explain what you mean by miscatagorized? And I'm not trying to be a dick, just trying to understand...

Did you mean that the tweet said $9.1 mil was top Safety pay, but Golston only got $8.25 mil annually? B-)

sounds credible.

but even that is too broad a brush - the saints already had huge dollars in their other guard, jahri evans, and proceed to give a pretty large contract to grubbs as nicks replacement (7m per) for instance.

really theres no one way to build it, and some will always be upset. as another poster said, unless you have 22 all pros.... and then wed complain about depth.

cap room is a limited and perishable resource in the nfl. id rather they maximize their value of that quantity than leave it unused. that doesnt mean throw money at everything and anything but this was a year we shouldve been stacking money into and totally neglected to do so.

They can take that unused cap room and roll it over into next year

Most of it has to do with how their salaries are averaged along with LTs. This really drives up their tag numbers so teams are going to be reluctant to restrict them in free agency via franchise or transition tags.

GO BILLS!!!

... cap room is a limited and perishable resource in the nfl. id rather they maximize their value of that quantity than leave it unused. that doesnt mean throw money at everything and anything but this was a year we shouldve been stacking money into and totally neglected to do so.

I don't disagree with this at all. But that doesn't mean they should have gone against their own evaluations and just given Levitre and Byrd whatever they were asking for just because they had room, CAP WISE, to do that. There are other ramifications involved and YES, one of them is their bottom line. But it has more to do with looking forward and building the team within certain constructs.

GO BILLS!!!

Edited by K-9