Buffalo News reporting Byrd wants traded by Oct. 29 deadline

YoloinOhio

Once again, a Voice of Reason.

Plantar Fasciitis is very unpredictable. It can be dormant and then a change in conditions can cause it to flare. For example, if Byrd were working out hard, but primarily on gym equipment which has some give to it, changing to a hard surface (astroturf covered concrete) and changing footware might cause a flare. Or, maybe he had a different problem last season that caused him to compensate in some way, and now he has PF as a new problem. Who knows?

Another factor could be, there's an upper limit to the number of steroid injections recommended to avoid weakening the ligament

But maybe it's carrying around a $6.91m contract in his back pocket that has caused it to flare up. I think PF in the case of JB is very predictable. The miracle cure will happen if a new team comes knocking. He may turn out for he Bills sometime this year and has a ready made excuse for any on field mistakes he makes.

• Replies 672
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't know if it has been posted on here or don't know if anyone had leaked it. I am told that the best offer that the Bills have gotten for Byrd was the Viking's 4th. I can't give the source but it is the same person that told me about Kolb being here 2 days before anyone reported it.

There is no way that I would consider dealing him for that.

Don't know if it has been posted on here or don't know if anyone had leaked it. I am told that the best offer that the Bills have gotten for Byrd was the Viking's 4th. I can't give the source but it is the same person that told me about Kolb being here 2 days before anyone reported it.

Nor should they. But I never believed there was a strong trade market for Byrd, anyway. The Bills explored it and you know Parker did as well.

GO BILLS!!!

Apparently TBD does not allow links to Bleacher Report, otherwise I'd have a link here. But I found this by Googling.

$7.4M/yr. Vs $9.1M+ Bills offer vs what Parker wants.

PTR

Bleacher Report cites only spotrac.com which doesn't include any info about his signing bonus:

Polamalu $9.125M http://www.spotrac.com/top-salaries/nfl/average/safety/limit-25/ @AdamBenigni: Source: Byrd demanding to be highest paid safety in NFL. Bills offering Top 5 ($7.4M).The

No we're not, that quote is wrong and with Eric Woods new contract it's less than half of that.

Yeah but they also saved money by releasing others, most notably Rian Lindell. The Buffalo News reported our cap space as 19M despite signing Woods. Buffalo News

Bleacher Report cites only spotrac.com which doesn't include any info about his signing bonus:

Polamalu $9.125M http://www.spotrac.com/top-salaries/nfl/average/safety/limit-25/@AdamBenigni: Source: Byrd demanding to be highest paid safety in NFL. Bills offering Top 5 ($7.4M).The

Yeah but they also saved money by releasing others, most notably Rian Lindell. The Buffalo News reported our cap space as 19M despite signing Woods. Buffalo News

sportrac shows Polamalu as getting $10.55m signing bonus.

http://www.spotrac.com/rankings/nfl/signing-bonus/safety/

GO BILLS!!!

Was that prior to July 15, or now? I can't believe any team would give anything for him right now considering they can't give him a long-term contract and he's injured.

I haven't seen it here. I can't say I'm surprised. At this point, the guy is injured, can't be signed to a long term deal, and has one of the most notoriously intransigent agents in the league - not a happy sign that negotiations for a long-term deal this spring would go smoothly (what if some other safety regarded as lesser talent signs a bigger deal than they discussed? would Parker up the ante on the new team?)

His trade value to other teams as a 1 yr tender, injured safety is no way equal to his market value as a FA. The only way he gets traded is if a top contending team has a FS go down, sees Byrd as the missing piece that could keep them in contention, and Byrd has been full go in a game or two so they're sure he can come in and contribute.

But maybe it's carrying around a $6.91m contract in his back pocket that has caused it to flare up. I think PF in the case of JB is very predictable. The miracle cure will happen if a new team comes knocking. He may turn out for he Bills sometime this year and has a ready made excuse for any on field mistakes he makes.

Cool story bro.

Some clarity was provided by Howard Simon after an Ian Rapaport blurb. No team, including the Bills, can even talk to Byrd about his contract until after the season. No negotiating. Granted I'm sure agents or teams may break this rule. But they seemingly would be open to investigation if a trade were to be made, as they would be publicly saying they are trading for the guy with no indication whatsoever that they can sign him long term. Of course, his new team could franchise him next year but he won't like that much either. I suppose if they know they will pay him 9m a season they could make the trade but we have discussed this before here, whether teams can negotiate but just not sign, and the answer from the league this week was no. They can't. No one can.

Well...If true, I agree 100%...And that may explain very well why we are where we are with Byrd...

I'd also say, again if this is true, that it's an awfully tough sell for Parker to convince anyone that Byrd should be the top paid Safety in the NFL if the best any team is willing to give up for him is a 4th round pick...Personally I think the Bills would settle for a 2nd Round pick...But you can't go lower than that... B-)

Some clarity was provided by Howard Simon after an Ian Rapaport blurb. No team, including the Bills, can even talk to Byrd about his contract until after the season. No negotiating. Granted I'm sure agents or teams may break this rule. But they seemingly would be open to investigation if a trade were to be made, as they would be publicly saying they are trading for the guy with no indication whatsoever that they can sign him long term. Of course, his new team could franchise him next year but he won't like that much either. I suppose if they know they will pay him 9m a season they could make the trade but we have discussed this before here, whether teams can negotiate but just not sign, and the answer from the league this week was no. They can't. No one can.

So a team can't even talk about a contract with the player? That seems kind of silly.

Teams and players may talk about it all they want. But nothing can be signed until after the season.

GO BILLS!!!

No. That was the gist of the report. They can't. Unless you are saying they will anyway even if it's specifically against league policy. The Bills specifically asked the league to clarify the ruling and were told that no team can talk contract with Byrd until the end of the season, which lessens the chance of a trade, even though I doubt one was going to happen anyway.

No. That was the gist of the report. They can't. Unless you are saying they will anyway even if it's specifically against league policy. The Bills specifically asked the league to clarify the ruling and were told that no team can talk contract with Byrd until the end of the season, which lessens the chance of a trade, even though I doubt one was going to happen anyway.

I'm talking strictly about Byrd and the Bills here. They are free to discuss a deal all they want.

GO BILLS!!!