Maybin Cut on Hard Knocks

This is what hurts the most!! How can the Bills be so stupid.

Poor scouting and decision-making.

I am perplexed by the fans who consistently vent their anger at the player (Whitner, Maybin) and not at the GM's and coaches who drafted them That said, i do see a lot more venom directed at Marv for the Whitner pick.

It's not Maybin's fault he was selected at 11. Blame Dick!

FWIW Whitner was WAY better pick at 8 than Maybin at 11.

i do see a lot more venom directed at Marv for the Whitner pick.

It's not Maybin's fault he was selected at 11. Blame Dick!

part of the problem - who was in charge and making that pick? we assume jauron but.... i like to have some idea of who to direct the anger at!

He still earned a scholarship to one of the best colleges in the country & made the top 1% of his profession. He did that while overcoming the death of his mom & a child.

I hate it was the Bills that drafted Maybin. Never wanted him. But it's funny how much football players get criticized for being busts at the next level when in fact they have been extremely successful to even reach the top 1% of their job. How many posters can claim the same?

By all accounts Maybin gave good effort on the field and this is why I cannot fault the man. It wasn't his fault the Bills picked him so high. Was he supposed so say I'm undersized so don't draft me? Shame on the Bills for drafting a guy that simply was not big or strong enough to play in the NFL. Another example of predraft hype and "upside" created by the Todd McShea's of the world.

Edited by DDD

By all accounts Maybin gave good effort on the field and this is why I cannot fault the man. It wasn't his fault the Bills picked him so high. Was he supposed so say I'm undersized so don't draft me? Shame on the Bills for drafting a guy that simply was not big or strong enough to play in the NFL. Another example of predraft hype and "upside" by the Todd McShea's of the world.

i wouldnt say "by all accounts" as his effort has been questioned a bit.

i wouldnt say "by all accounts" as his effort has been questioned a bit.

No questioning you but do you have any specific examples? I just think he simply wasn't good enough.

And playing college football, I do have a soft spot for football players. I don't think most people realize how physically demanding a sport it is. It's not just games. It's offseason training & camp. Most people couldn't make it through a training camp practice.

So yes, AM was a terrible draft pick which I hated at the time. But he still made the top 1% of his profession & you don't get there by shear luck. Good for him & bad for the Bills.

Players drafted after Maybin: Brian Cushing, Brian Orakpo, Clay Matthews, Percy Harvin, Michael Oher, LeSean McCoy

I think those names are why the pick is so infuriating. If the Bills pick Orakpo, Matthews or Harvin it goes down as one of the best drafts in their history (to add to Wood, Byrd and Levitre).

I think those names are why the pick is so infuriating. If the Bills pick Orakpo, Matthews or Harvin it goes down as one of the best drafts in their history (to add to Wood, Byrd and Levitre).

Wasn't that also the draft where they took Ed Wang? :wallbash:

What HK episode was it? Did they give it a name or #?

I'd like to watch it if it's rebroadcast.

Thanks!!

I am sure HBO will re-run it this week... it was the new episode that aired last night. They probably also will have it On Demand.

No questioning you but do you have any specific examples? I just think he simply wasn't good enough.

no problem, even if you are questioning.... ill be honest and say i dont really want to sift through 5 years of old articles on the guy though. if memory is serving me wrong here.... my apologies. honestly i dont know that anything direct has been said that really jumps to mind but i know ive walked away from articles questioning how seriously he took the game. not in a take plays off sense but in lacking a "im not good enough and im going to do whatever it takes to be good enough" attitude.

looking back, do you get the impression that he wanted to be good enough by whatever means needed and those just werent enough, or that he was cool just being in the league? he always struck me as a young guy that was happy to be there, but didnt care too much about his legacy.

Edited by NoSaint

haven't heard anything to the contrary Maybin is not a news-maker/problem partier.

Penn State is a pretty good school. I am hopeful he saved some of his cash wisely and can last until he gets his pension. which I guess is a 5 year pension, he had 3 with the Bills and 2 with the Jets I think?

haven't heard anything to the contrary Maybin is not a news-maker/problem partier.

Penn State is a pretty good school. I am hopeful he saved some of his cash wisely and can last until he gets his pension. which I guess is a 5 year pension, he had 3 with the Bills and 2 with the Jets I think?

from maybins own mouth, ill let you decide what the quote means:

“I was 20 when I came in the league. I was young. Young as s–t. It being my fifth year, I understand a lot more now.”

like i said, he seemed ok being just one of the guys in my opinion. he mightve worked, but as far as i know he never had that first in, last out, no nonesense kind of an attitude. when you arent good enough, youve got to adopt that or you end up where he has ended up.

Edited by NoSaint

He still earned a scholarship to one of the best colleges in the country & made the top 1% of his profession. He did that while overcoming the death of his mom & a child.

I hate it was the Bills that drafted Maybin. Never wanted him. But it's funny how much football players get criticized for being busts at the next level when in fact they have been extremely successful to even reach the top 1% of their job. How many posters can claim the same?

Preach...

It's amazing how much hate this guy gets. He's one of MANY busts we've drafted over the years, why is he so special?

Either way, good luck to him. It's nice to see a NFL Player have a hobby such as painting, instead of, I dunno, drugs and murder.

Because he was such an EPIC BUST.

Say this out loud and see if you don't start feeling a little dizzy: "Eric Flowers was better than Maybin."

The Bills have had several bust 1st picks, but I am pretty sure Maybin is unique among top half-first's in being so bad he couldn't even be activated much of the time.

“I was 20 when I came in the league. I was young. Young as s–t. It being my fifth year, I understand a lot more now.”

Fair enough but it sounds to me as he was trying to make excuses why he was terrible in Buffalo.

Fair enough but it sounds to me as he was trying to make excuses why he was terrible in Buffalo.

Btw, how fast would this board explode if the Bills signed Maybin haha?

Because he was such an EPIC BUST.

Say this out loud and see if you don't start feeling a little dizzy: "Eric Flowers was better than Maybin."

The Bills have had several bust 1st picks, but I am pretty sure Maybin is unique among top half-first's in being so bad he couldn't even be activated much of the time.

He's gone. He's not on the team. The people who drafted him (I think) aren't here either. Is he some sort of horrible person or something? I'm not defending him as a player, he was a bad pick, didn't work out for us, but that's about it. The celebration of this guy's cutting on another team, or the rampant hatred just seems weird to me. I'd understand if he was a giant douche, so maybe he is and I just don't know it like you guys do?

He's gone. He's not on the team. The people who drafted him (I think) aren't here either. Is he some sort of horrible person or something? I'm not defending him as a player, he was a bad pick, didn't work out for us, but that's about it. The celebration of this guy's cutting on another team, or the rampant hatred just seems weird to me. I'd understand if he was a giant douche, so maybe he is and I just don't know it like you guys do?

No you're right - and I don't hate the person at all (a local kid here where I am in Maryland, btw) - it's just the pain of the Bills' foolishness that gets dredged up again each time he's in the public eye.

When he was successful briefly with the Jets - or had he caught on with the Bengals or elsewhere, the question of whether or not he really gave his all in Buffalo becomes a fair one.

Edited by BobChalmers

A very large portion of the responsibility for drafting this “bust” and others during this time, falls in Modrack’s lap and the sh*tty job of running the scouting dept.

If you remember he was vastly criticized for spending all, or most, of his time at his Jacksonville home. When some were calling for his head, he then promised to get out in the field more, and spend some time in Buffalo…..I got the impression that he was a part-time manager at best- enjoying the “fun-in-the-sun” and his scouts knew it…..no way to run any part of an organization.

The only people that should make fun of Maybin and offer so much negativity are those that at the very least made it to the pro level. But they won't because they know how hard it is to get that far and what it takes. The rest of us have no idea of the shoes he walked in and should just wish the guy the best. It wasn't his fault the Bills drafted him where they did. Just like with Mike Williams, the Bills did not do their homework. Disparage the appropriate source.

Wasn't that also the draft where they took Ed Wang? :wallbash:

I am sure HBO will re-run it this week... it was the new episode that aired last night. They probably also will have it On Demand.

if you haven't gotten "hbo go" yet, do it. it's free and streams to my apple tv. i think it can stream to multiple devices. can see recent episodes from all recent series and movies on demand. also can watch on your computer.

Edited by birdog1960

No you're right - and I don't hate the person at all (a local kid here where I am in Maryland, btw) - it's just the pain of the Bills' foolishness that gets dredged up again each time he's in the public eye.

When he was successful briefly with the Jets - or had he caught on with the Bengals or elsewhere, the question of whether or not he really gave his all in Buffalo becomes a fair one.

There's also the question of scheme. Some players only work well in certain schemes, I think it's been proven that he's one of those guys.

The only people that should make fun of Maybin and offer so much negativity are those that at the very least made it to the pro level. But they won't because they know how hard it is to get that far and what it takes. The rest of us have no idea of the shoes he walked in and should just wish the guy the best. It wasn't his fault the Bills drafted him where they did. Just like with Mike Williams, the Bills did not do their homework. Disparage the appropriate source.

Fair enough...I guess you should apply the same logic to criticizing a QB when he throws a pick, a PK misses a FG, or even when an O-lineman false starts. None of us can possibly relate to the pressures and circumstances these guys deal with. Zzzzzzzzzzzz

A very large portion of the responsibility for drafting this “bust” and others during this time, falls in Modrack’s lap and the sh*tty job of running the scouting dept.

If you remember he was vastly criticized for spending all, or most, of his time at his Jacksonville home. When some were calling for his head, he then promised to get out in the field more, and spend some time in Buffalo…..I got the impression that he was a part-time manager at best- enjoying the “fun-in-the-sun” and his scouts knew it…..no way to run any part of an organization.

The Modrak era in Buffalo was one with many major disappointments. That's why I find it hard to dump 100% of the blame on Dick Jauron. Jauron is never going to throw somebody under the bus, even if he's completely innocent. And he wasn't. He was a part of the total miss on Maybin, but when you look at the Modrak drafts when Jauron wasn't around, you just go numb with all the !@#$ ups.

There's also the question of scheme. Some players only work well in certain schemes, I think it's been proven that he's one of those guys.

Which scheme features a DE on the bench again?

I think part of the critique of Maybin is the way he handled himself after getting drafted by holding out, etc.

Btw, how fast would this board explode if the Bills signed Maybin haha?

that would be hilarious if the Bills signed him. Although, I think he had a few good plays with the Jets. I can see it now, Pettine: "you know, we should get Maybin. I have a few plays for him." Russ: "are you out of your f*king mind. The fans will burn down the Ralph."

Exactly which scheme does he work well in? Three teams, across multiple schemes and positions, including two that gave him the benefit of the doubt for ~two years apiece. Eric Wood was not off base - Maybin is not a legitimate NFL defender, let alone one worthy of a first round selection. Aaron parlayed one good collegiate year into a huge windfall, and fizzled out soon thereafter. Not enough desire to be good (enough). It happens.

Then, you see python-like former UDFA James Harrison getting treatments and outworking the rookie LBs who have yet to even make the team, and you see the other side of the coin.

Edited by HankBulloughMellencamp

In the bigger picture he is a guy who was hit with the lucky stick. Turned one good season into millions.

I don't even know if it was really a good season. Turned a dozen college plays and a quick first step into millions.

It's amazing how much hate this guy gets. He's one of MANY busts we've drafted over the years, why is he so special?

Either way, good luck to him. It's nice to see a NFL Player have a hobby such as painting, instead of, I dunno, drugs and murder.

i think he may get a lot of hate because he came across as rather pompous and arrogant. his struggles on the field were well documented and he seemed to enjoy being a celebrity maybe more than being a football player. whether these perceptions are right or wrong, that is generally the light he was painted in. add in the fact that he was an unpopular high draft pick and got into a shouting match over giving a teammate a cheapshot with eric wood (a fan favorite for many here) and you have a recipe for a rather high level of disdain.

having said all that, i never met the man and i wish him no ill will.

thats no fun.........Maybin sucks/Fitzpatrick sucked/Mark Sanchez sucks it's easy.

Hearing Maybin's name gives me the urge to punch Dick Jauron. I still recall standing on the turf at RWS during a Bills draft party when Maybin's selection was announced. I can still hear the groan of a thousand fans,

PTR

never have I agreed more with a post on this board, and laughed as much as I did with the image of seeing jauron getting punched....

I also associate the maybin pick with the complete ineptitude of Jick Dauron