Kolb to start Friday

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's the NFL. What's fair have to do with anything? Coach said all healthy players will be prepared to play the entire game Friday. I wonder if that means Kolb is playing the entire game? Kolb gets the start and everyone...oh it's still an open competition and you just know everyone takes that to mean EJ is not ready. Whether that is true or not, it's the perception. I'd bet almost everyone wants Kolb to stink the place out Friday night.

It's the NFL. What's fair have to do with anything? Coach said all healthy players will be prepared to play the entire game Friday. I wonder if that means Kolb is playing the entire game? Kolb gets the start and everyone...oh it's still an open competition and you just know everyone takes that to mean EJ is not ready. Whether that is true or not, it's the perception. I'd bet almost everyone wants Kolb to stink the place out Friday night.

No. Marrone told the entire team last week to prepare like they are playing the entire game. That's just a philosophy of his for all games and all players.

ugh. Kinda saw this coming. I'll be at the game and was hoping EJ would get the start. I wonder if Kolb struggles a little the boo birds or we want EJ chants start. Kid is about as polarizing a quarterback we have had in a while, seems like the community (and the espn's of the world) are ready to back him.

I'm ok with it. We still need to see if Kolb can do it. Of course I hope EJ wins the job outright, but I want a real QB battle and the best guy should win. For all we know, even though EJ looks very good, Kolb could look great. I want whoever is going to win more games. Best case, EJ wins the job and Kolb is the backup. Even better case, Kolb plays lights out, take us to the playoffs, we trade him in the offseason for an early draft pick because we know Tuel is very good and EJ will take over next season.

Game one: EJ plays entire first half...

Game two: Kolb plays 1st quarter? EJ the 2nd?

Game three: EJ takes entire first half?

Any idea how the game time is supposed to be slotted?

I imagine that it was only because we had two QBs that EJ played the whole first half in the first game. It likely would have been about a quarter each for Kolb and EJ. I would also imagine that Kolb plays about one quarter and EJ one quarter, although Marrone may want to see Kolb a little more in this game because he missed the last. In game three they may or may not have named a starter by then. If they do, I imagine he plays into the third. If not, I'd say the two split time with the first team.

Know how we all know you've lost touch with reality here?

Do you really think our starters are playing 60 minutes Friday? Or that its even a remote possibility?

I guess I misspoke. Yes, it's the typical and logical state of affairs. It's nuts to me that a rookie QB is not more battle-tested by the time he sees live action. I can't imagine being in that situation, personally.

Although I guess it's not that different from what they've been doing and preparing for their entire lives...

Makes sense, and perhaps I misread. In that sense, its crazy, but there's a lot in the game that completely blows my mind that seems to be standard operating procedure (or even optimal) for folks in the inside.

OK.....here's the thing. I know the Bills want to make this into a competition to see who should start this upcoming season, but the fact is, the only thing I want to find out is if EJ is good enough to be the future QB of this team. PERIOD. That is what I want out of this season. Teams that are great and win Championships have a star QB (or pretty close). The fact is, whether Kolb is better than Manuel right now means nothing to me. I want to win a Championship and to do that, I need to find a REAL QB. Kolb, even if he is better than Manuel right now, will never win a Championship. I couldn't care less about Kolb.

The only QB competion I want to see is Manuel vs Manuel. What I mean by that is I want to watch him play the entire season, getting as many snaps as possible and if good and promising Manuel prevails at the end of the season, no matter what the record, that's great. If bad and inconsistent Manuel shows up by the end of the season, and he isn't showing much promise, I need to know because if that's the case, I'm drafting another QB in the 1st Round next year as well. Then, whoever that ends up being can battle Manuel next year and the best QB will play.

I need to find a QB that can win. You know a winner when you see it.....even if it takes the entire season to develop. The point is, I don't want to waste any meaningful snaps on a guy that I will never win a Championship with. Right now, we know what Kolb is.....we don't know what Manuel is. This season is all about trying to find out.

Edited by sven233

That's cute giving Kolb one last chance.

It was a 100% kolb was going to start Friday or the "competition" would have been over.

This is clearly the case, and I for one am actually intrigued to see how Kolb responds after seeing what Manuel and Tuel did in game 1.

I'm ok with it. We still need to see if Kolb can do it. Of course I hope EJ wins the job outright, but I want a real QB battle and the best guy should win. For all we know, even though EJ looks very good, Kolb could look great. I want whoever is going to win more games. Best case, EJ wins the job and Kolb is the backup. Even better case, Kolb plays lights out, take us to the playoffs, we trade him in the offseason for an early draft pick because we know Tuel is very good and EJ will take over next season.

I'm surprised you would back a broken down old vet who wont be able to avoid injury just getting to the line of scrimmage every 15 seconds. Oh wait, I'm not :doh: Kolb' s future with us will be insignificant.at most. EJ will be historic. Lets just go with him straight out of the gate and I believe that will be the way forward but he does still have to show he can do it. I have ZERO doubt in him. He is the leader of this team for the at least the remainder of the Bills in Buffalo.

I agree 100%. Finding out what Kolb can do is not a bad thing. If EJ is going to be the starter, let him earn the spot in a fair competition where Kolb had his shots.

If we go to the playoffs this year, I don't care if it's EJ, Kolb or Tuel that takes us there.

What did Kolb do to earn the start? Hurt his knee then left camp and missed over a week of practice. Kolb should get scrub time. EJ should get the start at home. He earned it. I'm obviously not the coach but I think it's crap.

Another thing at work here is that Marrone seems like the type to not want to simply hand anyone the starting job.

At the very least there is going to be the appearance that the winner earned the job.