Kolb to start Friday

Perhaps I am incorrect, but I was under the impression from reports that Kolb was not having a great camp up until he got injured? Am I mistaken? Was he playing well?

Kolb has been exposed to a lot more than the other two, and likely facing higher expectations in the reviews. the coaches have openly said they are throwing a lot more at kolb. if kolb had no expectations and ran with the 3s against a simplified defense id bet hed be getting glowing reviews too. our wrs are deep, our corners are not.

your UDFA does anything and its a nice throw in for a camp report. Your vet facing the first team and full blitz packages has any struggle and its the story.... not that he has wildly struggled or looked awful from what i have read. hes simply played like kevin kolb it seems - a guy thats not a top 15 qb but still a good player to have around.

i think perspective is important here.

Edited by NoSaint

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You are reading way to far into the word "fair".. The logical competition is between EJ and Kolb.... Jeff Tuel is fighting to get on the 53 man roster.

Also, have you personally been to each and every practice? How can you say Tuel has done more in camp?? And he has done more in a "game" because Kolb didn't play at all in it!!! All reports from camp I have heard is Tuel has looked OK some ups some downs, stares down WRs, slowish delivery - (Joe B who is at every practice). Is it just because Kolb missed some time with an injury that you think this?

A half of preseason football vs camp fodder isn't enough to unseat Kolb from the QB competition... now if he looks like garbage this next game and Tuel lights it up in whatever time he gets then maybe...

Voice of logic, awesome!

Tuel fans, and I am a Tuel fan and hope he makes the team, need to realize that although this is an open competition, it is not open to all. It is open between Kolb and Manuel.

Someone above mentioned a business scenario, in that business scenario you have a seasoned guy (Kolb), the hot shot new guy EJ), and the intern (Tuel). The intern is not seriously being considered for the big project/promotion. They just want to see him put in the hard work and maybe make room for him as a permanent employee.

I am not in the Tuel Camp, EJ Camp or Kolb Camp. I was hoping the Bills would draft EJ since February. I have not been to every camp session and have no coaching expericece. However I have been to camp several times, including the scrimmage and saw the pre season game. I have also read every camp report from Astro, WGR and BB.com. I really dont think anyone can argue that Tuel is having one hell of a camp, and has preformed better on the field then the others. Again, this is not a knock on EJ, he too has exceeded expectations.

Bottom line is it's the coaches decision and we have to trust them.

However, we must also believe what we see, and that is the Tuel is outperforming them at this point. It doesn't mean he will get the shot or that he will be the best in 5 years, but it is what it is.

Kolb has been exposed to a lot more than the other two, and likely facing higher expectations in the reviews. the coaches have openly said they are throwing a lot more at kolb. if kolb had no expectations and ran with the 3s against a simplified defense id bet hed be getting glowing reviews too. our wrs are deep, our corners are not.

your UDFA does anything and its a nice throw in for a camp report. Your vet facing the first team and full blitz packages has any struggle and its the story.... not that he has wildly struggled or looked awful from what i have read. hes simply played like kevin kolb it seems - a guy thats not a top 15 qb but still a good player to have around.

Extremely well-stated.

I am not in the Tuel Camp, EJ Camp or Kolb Camp. I was hoping the Bills would draft EJ since February. I have not been to every camp session and have no coaching expericece. However I have been to camp several times, including the scrimmage and saw the pre season game. I have also read every camp report from Astro, WGR and BB.com. I really dont think anyone can argue that Tuel is having one hell of a camp, and has preformed better on the field then the others. Again, this is not a knock on EJ, he too has exceeded expectations.

Bottom line is it's the coaches decision and we have to trust them.

However, we must also believe what we see, and that is the Tuel is outperforming them at this point. It doesn't mean he will get the shot or that he will be the best in 5 years, but it is what it is.

I didn't want to respond to this but really!!?? Tuel has outperformed both Manuel and Kolb to this point? What is that based off of? He played a good half of preseason football vs scrubs.. Can you provide me 1 article stating that Tuel is outperfoming EJ up to this point? Tuel had ZERO expectations coming in so whatever he provides is really surprising since you would believe a UDFA to be a bit behind. I think that is what all this hype is about more than anything.

You are reading way to far into the word "fair".. The logical competition is between EJ and Kolb.... Jeff Tuel is fighting to get on the 53 man roster.

Also, have you personally been to each and every practice? How can you say Tuel has done more in camp?? And he has done more in a "game" because Kolb didn't play at all in it!!! All reports from camp I have heard is Tuel has looked OK some ups some downs, stares down WRs, slowish delivery - (Joe B who is at every practice). Is it just because Kolb missed some time with an injury that you think this?

A half of preseason football vs camp fodder isn't enough to unseat Kolb from the QB competition... now if he looks like garbage this next game and Tuel lights it up in whatever time he gets then maybe...

Perhaps I am reading too far into the word "fair".

I'm a proponent of starting whoever is playing better. Not whomever was drafted higher or is in the league longer.

I didn't want to respond to this but really!!?? Tuel has outperformed both Manuel and Kolb to this point? What is that based off of? He played a good half of preseason football vs scrubs.. Can you provide me 1 article stating that Tuel is outperfoming EJ up to this point? Tuel had ZERO expectations coming in so whatever he provides is really surprising since you would believe a UDFA to be a bit behind. I think that is what all this hype is about more than anything.

You didn't really fall for that crap, did you? Trolling seems to be the big thing around here. Trolling, arguing, saying how "the last forum I was at was way better," yet not going back to said last forum. Getting old very quickly.

So in other words, Tuel isn't allowed to be even considered for a starting position, no matter how well he plays, because Kolb is an NFL Veteran and EJ is a 1st round pick.

I suppose that is how the NFL works so can't really argue.

So in other words, Tuel isn't allowed to be even considered for a starting position, no matter how well he plays, because Kolb is an NFL Veteran and EJ is a 1st round pick.

thats not what i said, even remotely.

the reason your getting the troll comments, is because you are twisting the hell out of peoples posts to fit a narrative you want to create.

to simplify it to the max - kolb is playing the game on hard and looking ok, tuel is playing it on easy and looking ok. that doesnt mean they have equal abilities in the game. when tuel shows mastery over the basics he gets to step up to the next level to continue to try to prove himself. the coaches have openly said they are putting kolb in more difficult positions than anyone else.

Edited by NoSaint

I'd say: Tuel isn't actively being considered for a starting position, because Kolb is an NFL Veteran and EJ is a 1st round pick, and there are limited snaps to go around before the games count. But you're not far off. It's just not outrageous. The better Tuel plays, the opportunities there will be for him.

I'd say: Tuel isn't actively being considered for a starting position, because Kolb is an NFL Veteran and EJ is a 1st round pick, and there are limited snaps to go around before the games count. But you're not far off. It's just not outrageous. The better Tuel plays, the opportunities there will be for him.

Spot on.

You know what No Saint is saying. Enough of this game. There is no way in hell that someone that has the mental capacity to actually use a computer and navigate his way through the Internet can't understand why the thought of Tuel being equal or better than either Kolb or Manuel is ridiculous. Knock it off, buddy. Your joke has run its course. And your little friends', too.

You know what No Saint is saying. Enough of this game. There is no way in hell that someone that has the mental capacity to actually use a computer and navigate his way through the Internet can't understand why the thought of Tuel being equal or better than either Kolb or Manuel is ridiculous. Knock it off, buddy. Your joke has run its course. And your little friends', too.

yea, i try to give the benefit of the doubt, because a lot of terrible newcomers turn into alright contributors but that one irked me a bit.

Ok, I'm going to try one more time.

Yes, of course, in theory if Tuel plays fantastic against the same defenses Manuel and Kolb are seeing then he deserves a shot. But that isn't what's happening here.

Marrone came into camp looking to find his starting QB. He has a 1st round choice and a 2nd round choice. No coach in his right mind is going to take away 1st team reps from those two players to give an "equal shot" to an UDFA rookie. There is such a limited amount of practice time and they need to see how the "pedigreed" players are going to perform -- remember, there's a reason why Tuel wasn't drafted.

Tuel performed well against 3rd stringers, but that isn't enough to suggest he should be taking 1st team reps away from Kolb and EJ. It really is that simple.

Listen, I have not said a single thing to you. I have not insulted you, or bothered me. Please leave me alone. If you don't like the way I view the game or my opinion, you can block me. I have my own opinion, and I have as much right to have it as you do.

yea, i try to give the benefit of the doubt, because a lot of terrible newcomers turn into alright contributors but that one irked me a bit.

I didn't intend to irk you. That's how what you were saying seemed to me. Apparently to someone else to, who has over 2,000 posts, because they responded and confirmed it. If it's not what you meant, that's fine. But don't be offended by my reply because it wasn't meant in any derogatory way.

Ok, I'm going to try one more time.

Yes, of course, in theory if Tuel plays fantastic against the same defenses Manuel and Kolb are seeing then he deserves a shot. But that isn't what's happening here.

Marrone came into camp looking to find his starting QB. He has a 1st round choice and a 2nd round choice. No coach in his right mind is going to take away 1st team reps from those two players to give an "equal shot" to an UDFA rookie. There is such a limited amount of practice time and they need to see how the "pedigreed" players are going to perform -- remember, there's a reason why Tuel wasn't drafted.

Tuel performed well against 3rd stringers, but that isn't enough to suggest he should be taking 1st team reps away from Kolb and EJ. It really is that simple.

Ok, fair enough.

I didn't intend to irk you. That's how what you were saying seemed to me. Apparently to someone else to, who has over 2,000 posts, because they responded and confirmed it. If it's not what you meant, that's fine. But don't be offended by my reply because it wasn't meant in any derogatory way.

like i said, i definitely try to give the benefit of the doubt - so no harm no foul. does it make more sense with my clarification?

like i said, i definitely try to give the benefit of the doubt - so no harm no foul. does it make more sense with my clarification?

Yes it does. And Matt In KC's further clarification of only limited time helped me understand the view as well.

I still wish that all QB's would be given a fair shake but it is what it is. And that's not because I'm a Tuel fan. It's because I believe you get the best in people when everyone has a shot.

Listen, I have not said a single thing to you. I have not insulted you, or bothered me. Please leave me alone. If you don't like the way I view the game or my opinion, you can block me. I have my own opinion, and I have as much right to have it as you do.

Ok, fair enough.

I don't have a problem with your opinion Micro; I think the issue resides in the idea that Tuel has outperformed both Manuel and Kolb to this point. I think the counterpoint that perhaps hasn't been stated clearly is that the assessment of performance relative to one another has to be based on the entire body of work from OTA's, Minicamps, TC, and pre-season games. Obviously, in the coaches' opinions, Kolb and Manuel have been ahead of Tuel and still are, despite the fact that he looked good in the first game (and he did, for which I am pleased).

The prudent move at this point is to give Kolb his opportunity with the 1's to see how he does, let EJ play with the 2's, and give Tuel more time in the 2nd half. If, at that point, Tuel continues to show well while one or both of the others flop badly, it may be worth exploring the idea of starting Tuel in the final pre-season game to see what he can do.

However, I doubt heavily that he's in the mix to start the regular season.