Kolb to start Friday

What did Kolb do to earn the start? Hurt his knee then left camp and missed over a week of practice. Kolb should get scrub time. EJ should get the start at home. He earned it. I'm obviously not the coach but I think it's crap.

It's preseason. You don't earn the start. Coaches want to see players in certain situations.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not a fan, after all the positive of last week, this can only be seen as a negative. Plus, not that it means much, but EJ would be starting against another FSU QB. One would think he'd be a little pumped for that.

Tuel might not even play on Friday. I see Kolb playing a half and EJ playing the 3rd quarter at the very least.

Reading the posts on here that suggest that Kolb shouldn't start on Friday, or even be cut (!?) strike me as a bit loony. The idea that Marrone should end the QB competition, and essentially abandon his preseason strategy based on EJ's decent showing in the first half of the first preseason game, and without even giving Kolb a chance in the preseason, is crazy. Marrone didn't sign Kolb on a whim. I'll admit, the knee injury is pretty weird, and his absence during the week of the scrimmage was unfortunate. But, people on this forum who dismiss Kolb as some sort of weakling hack can't hold a very high level of faith in our new head coach.

Personally, I hope EJ gets (and deserves) the starting job come September. But, Marrone has been very clear about how he will fill that role, and unless Kolb's knee injury is much worse than is being reported, I don't see any reason to change that very sensible strategy.

For your bolded statement, No it doesn't do anything to the coaching staff. They promised KK a fair fight and this is what they are giving him. I cannot blame them for doing this since other players might not like if they didn't do it this way after all the coach talk of even competition. That doesn't mean I think Kolb should start b.c he shouldn't. He has done nothing to show he is any different of a player since he got into the league.

You don't lose faith in a HC b.c he has to start Kolb. It's preseason so these decisions to start Kolb is nothing more then a coach keeping his word. That is a funny little poke at the fans you put in making a general assumption and hiding it in a post.

Edited by Meatloaf Sandwich

I love this board. People are as crazy as I am, getting worked up over the starter for game two of the PRESEASON! :w00t:

I have no idea who is better. Kolb looked good in AZ last year behind a HS level offensive line. The team collapsed after he went down. That said, he has never lit the world on fire either. But neither has EJ, since he has not had a snap in an actual NFL game yet. I'm interested to see what Kolb can do in Hackett/Marone's offense. If he is the best guy, that's great. It means EJ can sit and learn for a year. He may not like it. Rodgers didn't like it either, turned out okay for Green Bay.

I say enjoy the preseason games, armchair QB away with an open mind, and have a poll at the end of the season as to who should start on here!

kolb is carried off the field in 1st quarter putting his abilities on the line then EJ comes out against less experienced backups to give him more confidence. Then Tuel plays the part of the second half and rips it up. Marrone now has the biggest issue thus far in his coaching debut. Tuel or EJ. Tuel will get a start before pre season is over. He bocomes the starter and wins the SB!.....What, mommy, Im awake...

What did Kolb do to earn the start? Hurt his knee then left camp and missed over a week of practice. Kolb should get scrub time. EJ should get the start at home. He earned it. I'm obviously not the coach but I think it's crap.

Kolb had a wonderful night at camp last night, connecting on 77% of his passes. They were right on the money. His INT was a tipped ball, and he matched EJ's TD pass to Goodwin with a TD pass to Goodwin. He's earned the look.

Besides, I'd like EJ to gain confidence and rhythm against their 2's.

For all of you who don't want Kolb to be given the start have you ever considered that this is what he was promised when he signed? The coach and front office promised him a fair shot at the starting job. If they don't give it to him what kind of message does that send to every player on the roster? Players want to play for a head coach who shoots straight and keeps his word (it's what everybody wants from a boss.) It might seem trivial to posters on a board but this kind of thing is extremely important in building trust and team unity.

It also helps EJ out because if Kolb is given a fair shot and EJ wins the battle the team is his. You won't have players whispering that he was given the job on a silver platter. He will have earned it.

Really, this decision is win/win. EJ misses the first quarter of pre-season game #2. What quarter EJ players matters little but the above things do matter.

Wait. What?

What Kolb was promised when he signed was . . . money.

Kolb is a career backup. More importantly, Kolb KNOWS he is a career backup. He knows that if he wants to keep earning a million or two per year, he has to act like he wants to start, act like he CAN start if needed, act like he doesnt wanna sit on the bench, etc.

But he knows what he is doing. I picture him on the phone with his financial planner immediately after every practice. He doesnt have any fire or passion. He doesnt stir the troops. He just wants to make as many millions as he can while he's young.

In the world of "lead, follow, or get the F outta the way" he has chosen to follow. To be a good second. Like Spock to Kirk. He is soberly realistic that he is not a starting QB and never will be, but a backup QB in the NFL is a valuable commodity and can make good money.

Last night, Kolb>Manuel>Tuel. Kolb connected on 77% of his passes to EJ's 67%, and his INT was a tipped ball from camp fodder to camp fodder. His TD pass to Goodwin was extremely accurate, as were several of his completions, and he looked off defenders moreso than EJ. I want to see Kolb with our ones against Vikes' ones before I make judgments.

BTW, Tuel looked every bit the third stringer last night against Pettine's defense. They unleashed the dogs last night, and it wasn't pretty. Tuel was 40% completion.

we had a qb who was concussed before, never played well after, Trent. Kolb is a concussion away from being out of the league. we should be looking for someone else now, as when we need to depend on Kolb, he will get injured in his brain again.

anyone remember the Livingstone "coconut head" Bramble fight at the Aud years ago against Boom Boom Mancini? We need a guy like that.

Game one: EJ plays entire first half...

Game two: Kolb plays 1st quarter? EJ the 2nd?

Game three: EJ takes entire first half?

Any idea how the game time is supposed to be slotted?

Game 2: Kolb plays 1st Q and prob about half way through 2nd. EJ takes over and Tuel comes in late 3rd or 4th Q.

Game 3: Whoever is leading (hopefully EJ) QB competition plays 1st half then Kolb plays most of 2nd half in not whole thing.

Game 4: If EJ is still ahead, i'd bet he plays close to entire 1st half but alot of the other 1's will sit after first 1st Q.

Game 2: Kolb plays 1st Q and prob about half way through 2nd. EJ takes over and Tuel comes in late 3rd or 4th Q.

Game 3: Whoever is leading (hopefully EJ) QB competition plays 1st half then Kolb plays most of 2nd half in not whole thing.

Game 4: If EJ is still ahead, i'd bet he plays close to entire 1st half but alot of the other 1's will sit after first 1st Q.

If they've already announced the starter by Game 4, that player (hopefully EJ) will play no more than a series or two.

Well Kolb will play for awhile then EJ. EJ needs to start Game 3 as that is traditionally when starters play the most. Then again maybe Marrone wants to stunt his growth for this year with stupid mind games. I hope he isnt' that type of a coach. EJ needs to start and he needs to know he is the starter.

Look all this 'earn it' BS is just that, pure BS. Its been this way for 25+ years pretty much. He is a first round QB on a team that had NO QB....so he starts. The kid is smart, talented and works his ass off. He doesn't need to be 'pushed' to be better, he wants to be naturally.

Let Kolb feel better by going out and playing some first string snaps, then get EJ in there and inform Kolb he is #2

Last night, Kolb>Manuel>Tuel. Kolb connected on 77% of his passes to EJ's 67%, and his INT was a tipped ball from camp fodder to camp fodder. His TD pass to Goodwin was extremely accurate, as were several of his completions, and he looked off defenders moreso than EJ. I want to see Kolb with our ones against Vikes' ones before I make judgments.

BTW, Tuel looked every bit the third stringer last night against Pettine's defense. They unleashed the dogs last night, and it wasn't pretty. Tuel was 40% completion.

Kolb should not be our starter day 1 period. If you draft a guy in the first then you have hitched your wagon to him. Its not like you have Brett Favre out there for Aaron Rogers to sit behind. Its freaking Kolb for God's sake.

EJ needs to be told he is the starter after this game, cut the head games and whatever and get the kid ready for the Patsies

I read somewhere that 6 of the last 7 QBs drafted in the first round went on to start Game 1 of the regular season, and the 7th was in there by Game 6.

Correct, in a post a couple of months ago I broke down the 1st round QBs of the past five years -- it was overwhelmingly slanted towards those guys starting immediately.

I really believe Marrone is simply showing he's a man of his word so he continues to build trust with the players. Kolb is going to have to light it up to win this job.

I'm mainly upset with this because if Marrone is truly having an open competition and rewarding good play, then Tuel should get the star. What Kolb has done to earn the start, I don't know. He has looked semi poor in practice, certainly no better than Tuel, and has missed a week of practice. If things are fair, then Tuel should get the start.

I'm mainly upset with this because if Marrone is truly having an open competition and rewarding good play, then Tuel should get the star. What Kolb has done to earn the start, I don't know. He has looked semi poor in practice, certainly no better than Tuel, and has missed a week of practice. If things are fair, then Tuel should get the start.

Another Tuel's Tool I see? Troll elsewhere.

Another Tuel's Tool I see? Troll elsewhere.

Not at all. I actually thought the overreaction of Tuel's play was mind boggling.

My point is that IF Marrone is calling this a true competition then Tuel has done MORE to get the start on Friday than Kolb has.

If it was up to me, I would start EJ and give him as many reps as possible.

Not at all. I actually thought the overreaction of Tuel's play was mind boggling.

My point is that IF Marrone is calling this a true competition then Tuel has done MORE to get the start on Friday than Kolb has.

If it was up to me, I would start EJ and give him as many reps as possible.

#1 -- No, Tuel hasn't. Kolb has done everything asked of him since becoming a Bill. The injury was a fluke.

#2 -- Marrone never said undrafted rookie free agent QBs brought in as developmental projects would get a "fair shake" at the starting QB job.

#3 -- Review last night's practice notes.

#1 -- No, Tuel hasn't. Kolb has done everything asked of him since becoming a Bill. The injury was a fluke.

#2 -- Marrone never said undrafted rookie free agent QBs brought in as developmental projects would get a "fair shake" at the starting QB job.

#3 -- Review last night's practice notes.

#1 -- Doing everything that has been asked of you does not mean that you earned the start. Tuel also did everything that has been asked of him, and also has not been injured and has not missed any practice. With all other things being equal, Tuel has earned the start more so than Kolb has. I'm not sure how that couldn't be true.

#2 -- I don't recall Marrone naming any names concerning the QB competition. He said it would be an open competition and it would be fair. If he mentioned just EJ and Kolb, please link me and I'll admit that I am wrong. But as far as I remember, he said it was an open competition. Whether its an Undrafted Free Agent or a 1st round pick.

#3 -- The decision was made and announced before last nights practice.