Kolb to start Friday

Kolb got one concussion in 2010, and, in 2011, had "concussion like symptoms," but was not diagnosed with a concussion after being kicked in the back of the head. I would not qualify that as "CONCUSSION-PRONE." Especially considering the number of times he was sacked in his four wins at the beginning of last season, including two consecutive games with eight or more sacks- an NFL first. I think you (and many others on these boards) are underestimating Kevin Kolb.

Ill say last year I was pointing out it likely wasnt just the single hit that injured him but that he was brutalized for weeks and an already serious injury became too much to play through. Having watched some cardinals games, its amazing he wasnt hurt more often and worse.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Any player can (and do) get injured. Chastising Kolb as "being made of glass" is silly. He's had bad luck as have other players that have been injured. Bo Jackson for instance. He wasnt too bad either.

I've been saying right along, I'm as avid a Bills fan as there is and therefore I will route for all three QB' (and the rest of the team) to play great.

Routing against a player on your team really brings into question how much of a fan a person is IMO.

Kevin Kolb has yet to take a snap in a Bills uniform. Yet, many on this board say he's done nothing. Of course he hasn't, he hasnt played yet !

I am very glad to have him on our team. I trust Marrone knows what he is doing and part of the reason he took Kolb is because he is pretty familiar with the offensive game plan. Thats important, and if EJ turns out to play poorly which IS a very real possibility we have a serviceable back-up, assuming he doesn't start to begin with.

Whatever the case it'll be a riot watching this board if Kolb plays lights out in the weeks ahead. The nay-sayers will play the injury card, and every card they can think of to justify their opinions as to why he should be cut when in fact they personally just dont like the guy. For whatever reason. Maybe they just dont like him for sport? Who knows?

Let it play out fellas. He may end up being the best off-season acquisition on this team. I damn sure hope so. We will need him, not just for his play but for his veteran intangibles.

Edited by jaybee

Any player can (and do) get injured. Chastising Kolb as "being made of glass" is silly. He's had bad luck as have other players that have been injured. Bo Jackson for instance. He wasnt too bad either.

I've been saying right along, I'm as avid a Bills fan as there is and therefore I will route for all three QB' (and the rest of the team) to play great.

Routing against a player on your team really brings into question how much of a fan a person is IMO.

Kevin Kolb has yet to take a snap in a Bills uniform. Yet, many on this board say he's done nothing. Of course he hasn't, he hasnt played yet !

I am very glad to have him on our team. I trust Marrone knows what he is doing and part of the reason he took Kolb is because he is pretty familiar with the offensive game plan. Thats important, and if EJ turns out to play poorly which IS a very real possibility we have a serviceable back-up, assuming he doesn't start to begin with.

Whatever the case it'll be a riot watching this board if Kolb plays lights out in the weeks ahead. The nay-sayers will play the injury card, and every card they can think of to justify their opinions as to why he should be cut when in fact they personally just dont like the guy. For whatever reason. Maybe they just dont like him for sport? Who knows?

Let it play out fellas. He may end up being the best off-season acquisition on this team. I damn sure hope so. We will need him, not just for his play but for his veteran intangibles.

Ok let's hope for the best, agreed. Just saying that concussions are not the same type of injury as for instance an ACL. Concussions can and do become more frequent and with less impact each time. And they leave you with shaky hands long afterwards, the medical impact can be lifelong and progressive. Kolb may well have 5 great seasons left in him, who can say. Seems like a big risk though and if we count on him to be our reliable back-up, don't be shocked when he is such for a very short period of time.

Maybe Painter will be avail then to back up Tuel.

BTW, Tuel looked every bit the third stringer last night against Pettine's defense. They unleashed the dogs last night, and it wasn't pretty. Tuel was 40% completion.

Now why would you want to burst bubbles? Just let people have their fun.

I am not in the Tuel Camp, EJ Camp or Kolb Camp. I was hoping the Bills would draft EJ since February. I have not been to every camp session and have no coaching expericece. However I have been to camp several times, including the scrimmage and saw the pre season game. I have also read every camp report from Astro, WGR and BB.com.

I really dont think anyone can argue that Tuel is having one hell of a camp, and has preformed better on the field then the others.

Again, this is not a knock on EJ, he too has exceeded expectations.

Bottom line is it's the coaches decision and we have to trust them.

However, we must also believe what we see, and that is the Tuel is outperforming them at this point. It doesn't mean he will get the shot or that he will be the best in 5 years, but it is what it is.

To the bolded above, you're being ridiculous.

i do not understand how we got saddled with this guy.

We got "saddled" with the guy because our Head Coach, Offensive Coordinator, and General Manager liked him.

Man, people really think Tuel should start?

Actually not that many do but the few that believe this are very vocal. Tuel is almost a Messiah to some fans.

To the subject, if Tuel played so well as to force the hand of the coaching staff, I think they would entertain giving him first team reps. That hasn't happened yet. They see him in practice. They videotape the practices and grade every player. They sit down with him in meetings. I think the Bills know what they have in Tuel.

To the discussion of how politics and pedigree affect a player's fate, while I don't believe this is a factor in the Bills QB situation, this sort of thing exists at every level of sport from youth sports to who makes a country's Olympic team. To believe otherwise is naive.

Ok let's hope for the best, agreed. Just saying that concussions are not the same type of injury as for instance an ACL. Concussions can and do become more frequent and with less impact each time. And they leave you with shaky hands long afterwards, the medical impact can be lifelong and progressive. Kolb may well have 5 great seasons left in him, who can say. Seems like a big risk though and if we count on him to be our reliable back-up, don't be shocked when he is such for a very short period of time.

Maybe Painter will be avail then to back up Tuel.

If you think he, or 32 other qbs, haven't had many more concussions then the 2 we've heard about with kolb... Then we disagree about something fundamental in the game. I'm guessing most, kolb included, have many more unreported, undocumented, hidden, etc... He may have more than most, but I don't think we really know... Another major difference when compared to ACL tears.

Edited by NoSaint

I'm all for fairness and giving everyone a chance but let's be honest, everyone knows that Manuel will be the starter week one unless he get's hurt or totally poops his pants in the next three games. That was pretty much guaranteed once the coaching staff watched Manuel during the first few of weeks of camp. This "competition" seems like a bit of a charade to me.

Edited by vincec

I'm all for fairness and giving everyone a chance but let's be honest, everyone knows that Manuel will be the starter week one unless he get's hurt or totally poops his pants in the next three games. That was pretty much guaranteed once the coaching staff watched Manuel during the first fews of weeks of camp. This "competition" seems like a bit of a charade to me.

I don't know that I would say that yet. Of course that's what most of us are hoping for but I don't see him having it locked up yet. He needs to do well tomorrow to push the issue. :thumbsup:

Let's see if you can get it by this example:

If the real waterboy of the buffalo bills played qb in his house, throwing passes to his mom, would you let that qb waterboy compete for the starting job????

Basically that is what Tuel is. If he was the next montana like some people believe he is (one, he would have been drafted, heck he had over 200 chances to get picked), I'm sure the coach would have to address this situation. But based on tons and tons of college tape, practices, camps, they know he is not ready to go from position 3 to position 1 on the depth chart.

Dont base your love affection based on a game and a few practices.

That's really quite silly.

Tom Brady was drafted in the 6th round. Teams passed him over 160 times. And based on years and years of game tape and practices, Belichick started Bledsoe over him.

That's NOT to say that Tuel is Brady. Not at all. In fact, I have no affection or care about Tuel. I was simply stating my opinion on what an open QB competition should be. You could insert anyone for Tuel and it wouldn't change my opinion on it.

I guess the question is this ... do you honestly believe that Kevin Kolb wouldn't be nearly perfect against a 3rd string defense? Do you think that if Kevin Kolb played a quarter against starters; then Tuel played a quarter against the same starters - that Tuel's performance would be better?

I'm asking those questions, in those contexts, out of sincere curiosity.

I doubt Tuel would perform better than Kolb. I think Kolb is probably the better QB. I'm simply stating that if it's an open competition, then the start should go to whomever played the best and has been the best in practice. That is all. As I said in my last post, it has nothing to do with Tuel. You could insert any QB in that position and I would make the same argument. An open competition, to me, should allow all to compete.

That's just my opinion. I certainly see the reasons why that isn't feasible. Especially one poster who pointed out that there is limited time with the 1's. That was a great point.

heres another spot i think our opinions widely diverge. it seems to me that you think each person should walk into week one of the preseason on equal footing - while im saying theres a huge body of work beyond the last 7-10 days. the whole offseason, for kolb an nfl career, for tuel college reps, whats going on in meeting rooms..... even if you think that tuel has outplayed kolb in the last week or so (which i know we already discussed so ill leave that behind for this post) i think you are short changing the volume of material available to evaluate.

Very good points.

If you think he, or 32 other qbs, haven't had many more concussions then the 2 we've heard about with kolb... Then we disagree about something fundamental in the game. I'm guessing most, kolb included, have many more unreported, undocumented, hidden, etc... He may have more than most, but I don't think we really know... Another major difference when compared to ACL tears.

right, there is absolutely no difference between minor concussions that go unreported, and concussions that cause multiple games off over different seasons. Hey, what are your office hours, doc?

I doubt Tuel would perform better than Kolb. I think Kolb is probably the better QB. I'm simply stating that if it's an open competition, then the start should go to whomever played the best and has been the best in practice. That is all. As I said in my last post, it has nothing to do with Tuel. You could insert any QB in that position and I would make the same argument. An open competition, to me, should allow all to compete.

That's just my opinion. I certainly see the reasons why that isn't feasible. Especially one poster who pointed out that there is limited time with the 1's. That was a great point.

I think, being perfectly honest, that that's what you're seeing and the reason that Kolb and EJ are playing ahead of Tuel. When the staff looks at combined performance in games and practice, they've gauged those guys ahead.

right, there is absolutely no difference between minor concussions that go unreported, and concussions that cause multiple games off over different seasons. Hey, what are your office hours, doc?

Sometimes the difference is severity, sometimes its simply the doctor in charge catching it