Marcus Easley makes the team

The Big Easley (just thought of that I am sure someone coined it before) was essentially a rookie last year but he had the benefit of watching from NFL sidelines and being at NFL practices and meetings for two years before that.

And the injuries that kept him away for the first two years were nothing to do with his torso or limbs, so he is fully intact, physically. Didn't have a brain issue, or a heart issue? Maybe I am wrong on that point but I thought so.

If we let him get away now, another team will snap him up and get the benefit of the years of investment the Bills put it.

I say keep him and actually get him on the field for a few snaps this year, if he keeps up the strong pre-season.

With Brad Smith we know exactly what we have, there is no secret upside, and I don't think we really need, what he has.

Marcus is a keeper.

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One game.... he is a veteran against 2nd and 3rd stringers. Not impressed... if he was that good against the 1st team.... I would jump on the band wagon. All this does is give him a chance to earn a spot in the next preseason games. Now he will not be with the 1st cut. This game might make him safe for 2 rounds of cuts. Final cuts... hmmm we still have a lot of preseason left.

Take out those two words and this is a decent take. 7 catches for 94 yards is impressive against air, much less players on an NFL roster. Don't shortchange the guy.

I saw Easley in practice in his rookie season before he had to leave to have his knee repaired, then wacthed the kid all through his second season right up to his performance in one preseason game, and the point I am trying to make is that he simply stands out every time he's been given the chance. I see an NFL caliber receiver in this kid, and he seems to really work hard and has good knowledge of the offense no matter who has been calling the plays. Now with all that said, this has been only one preseason game, but I am now beginning to expect strong performances from him and think he will make the team, and even be awarded the #3 or #4 receiver spot.

Time will tell...

Easley will be on an NFL roster this season, probably the Patriots after we cut him. He looked really good. So did Sampson and Kaufman. TJ reminds me of Donald Jones.

The Big Easley (just thought of that I am sure someone coined it before) was essentially a rookie last year but he had the benefit of watching from NFL sidelines and being at NFL practices and meetings for two years before that.

And the injuries that kept him away for the first two years were nothing to do with his torso or limbs, so he is fully intact, physically. Didn't have a brain issue, or a heart issue? Maybe I am wrong on that point but I thought so.

If we let him get away now, another team will snap him up and get the benefit of the years of investment the Bills put it.

I say keep him and actually get him on the field for a few snaps this year, if he keeps up the strong pre-season.

With Brad Smith we know exactly what we have, there is no secret upside, and I don't think we really need, what he has.

Marcus is a keeper.

I like Easely and hope he makes the squad. Let me point out what we have with Smith, a highly talented, high claiber NFL player that has produced every time given the chance, a leader on and off the field.

Not really. Moulds was a monster in preseason in his first two years. But he never saw the field during the regular season because Marv didn't trust him. Different case with Easley.

And for good reason. He was just field-stupid at the time. I will never forget the end of game drive in KC in 1997 when they kept feeding he and Lonnie Johnson the ball and those two managed to kill an ample clock with their lack of awareness. It was a tough pill to swallow transitioning from an offense with experienced players who were good in the clutch to a roster full of dumb young players like Moulds, Johnson and Todd Collins.

cool story... guess you missed the long pass he hauled in Easley looked like a Boldin clone today made catches of every variety.

Cool story. No i saw it but didnt mention it since he lost his footing catching what would have been a td. It was ok but didnt really show his speed. Didnt think of bouldin at all.

WR will be the toughest cuts to make.

I still believe the only true WR locks are:

- Goodwin, Stevie and Woods.

TJ most Likely, but his draft pick shield his gone and he must distinguish himself.

Sampson, Easley and Kaufman looked good with twos, Maybe one from this crowd makes it.

Da'Rick is running out of time to prove himself.

This unit has to be the most improved this offseason.

Prior to this game I viewed Easley as big and relatively fast, but not very elusive. On a couple replays where they had a camera isolated on him, I was surprised at his short area quickness. I know it was against scrubs, but he looked quick and elusive coming off the line of scrimmage. It was encouraging.

Wonder how much credit Ike Hilliard should get for the overall good showing by the WRs in this game?

Here's the thing about the Easley/Smith/Rogers debate:

The Bills are not built to win the Superbowl this year. If you're building out this roster, you need to keep an eye on the overall goal of making this team sustainably competitive for the next 3-5 years, not just this year. You also have to keep an eye on finances.

So that's why Brad Smith is the odd man out, IMO. Yes he is versatile and helps the team this year. But he's a bit older than the other guys and you have to figure that his skills will start to decline in the next couple of years. He'd be a great puzzle piece for a playoff team but that's not what we have here. So I keep Easley over Smith. Perhaps Smith is even tradeable given his paycut.

As for Rogers, he's just too talented to try to stash on the PS. There are a lot of seriously receiver-needy teams out there (New England, Baltimore, Miami, Jets) who could snatch up a guy like that. Baltimore in particular has the lockerroom to take a chance on a character issue like him. If you think he has the talent, you can't risk losing him, unless you're convinced he's not coachable by this coaching staff. I think he stays.

Kaufman and Hogan, by contrast, are good low-ceiling players who probably could be stashed away on the PS without too much risk, and that's what I expect will happen with one or both of them.

I think Easley has earned some time with the ones next week. If he performs well the rest of the preseason, I'd keep him over Smith. I'm not sure TJ has a lock at a roster spot. This staff didn't draft him and Woods looks more ready. If Easely blossoms and they want to keep Smith, TJ could be the odd man out. I really liked what I saw from Kaufman more than Hogan.

Just when you think things can't get more complicated trying to figure out the WR position for the Buffalo Bills,

Marcus Easley was unstoppable today...

What was it? 4th Qtr and 5 straight plays? use the same play until they stop it. the Colts couldn't stop it.

Here's the thing about the Easley/Smith/Rogers debate:

The Bills are not built to win the Superbowl this year.

In reality -- How many teams built to win the Superbowl actually win the Superbowl????

WR will be the toughest cuts to make.

I still believe the only true WR locks are:

- Goodwin, Stevie and Woods.

TJ most Likely, but his draft pick shield his gone and he must distinguish himself.

Sampson, Easley and Kaufman looked good with twos, Maybe one from this crowd makes it.

Da'Rick is running out of time to prove himself.

This unit has to be the most improved this offseason.

You 100% sure Stevie's a lock?

You're not? How many consecutive thousand yard seasons does he have to put up to to have earned that lock on a spot? :wallbash:

With a new regime from top to bottom, I'm not sure any of the vets can relax & think they're a lock. I'm 99% sure Stevie will be starting for the Bills. But there's that 1% uncertainty. That's all I'm saying.

I said all off season I strongly believed Easley was gonna be a surprise player in camp and preseason. I predicted 6 WRs...SJ, Woods, TJ, Goodwin, Rogers, and Easley. They may surprise and keep 7, but I doubt it. If they do, then it will come down to Smith, Hogan, or Kaufman.

Easley needs to keep it up though, but man he sure made a statement today!

Mostly agree. But Rogers better keep up with Hogan and the others who play special teams or he will find himself on a practice squad. There's way more legit talent at WR than in years past.

You 100% sure Stevie's a lock?

Yeah. He's pretty good. Should I say 110%?

Now it's possible with the new offense his performance will not be what it has been. But he's the best on WR on the team for 3 years running and still is, until someone else proves otherwise. That alone ensures him a roster spot....

Brad Smith says "Gulp!"

Exactly... B-)

Easley will be on an NFL roster this season, probably the Patriots after we cut him. He looked really good. So did Sampson and Kaufman. TJ reminds me of Donald Jones.

I like Easely and hope he makes the squad. Let me point out what we have with Smith, a highly talented, high claiber NFL player that has produced every time given the chance, a leader on and off the field.

I don't disagree about Smith...but he's caught in a numbers game on a young team that is looking to grow together...Plus...He's never been and every-down WR type...When the Bills are ready to really compete Rogers and Easley will just be entering their prime and Smith will be 32 years old...For this team, at this time, I don't think it makes much sense to keep Smith over Easley, or Rogers...And this is a good thing...It proves The Bills are getting better talent-wise...

I have a feeling Brad Smith will be a NY Jet on opening day... B-)

Edited by KOKBILLS

When is the last time we had 8 WR's a lot of us liked? I mean, we went from nothing to a wealth of WR talent.

I recall hearing that we were deep at WR last year and the year before that and the year before that. Before I say we are deep at WR I want to see a lot more catches in real games by these guys. Until then, I'm not sure if we are deep at WR or not.

There is only one answer to that question. It begins with, "You're an idiot..."

Why thank you for your insightful, well-reasoned and affably stated "opinion." I expect nothing less from you as your always intelligent posts are among the very first ones I seek out everyday. You are the pride of the Wall.

Why thank you for your insightful, well-reasoned and affably stated "opinion." I expect nothing less from you as your always intelligent posts are among the very first ones I seek out everyday. You are the pride of the Wall.

Just trying to help. I don't know the name of the world in which you're living, but here on earth there is no more stone cold lock on the Bills roster than Stevie Johnson. That's not opinion, chief...it's fact. But I would actually pay to see the look on Marrone's face if you asked him the same question.

I think our WR 'problem' demonstrates what people here have believed to be true for a long time: the difference in talent level from player to player is so slim that coaching makes all the difference. And since there are probably more WR's in the NFL than any other position, I think this is doubly true.

I also think that this philosophy--when taken to the logical extreme--justifies any expendability for SJ.

Let's face it, guys with the skills and body of Megatron are so few and far between that the VAST majority of WR's are virtual clones of one another if they've reached the NFL level. Remind me again what makes Stevie stand out from the crowd...

Also, for the woes of pug and play receivers see: Patriots*, The

Edited by The Big Cat

Just trying to help. I don't know the name of the world in which you're living, but here on earth there is no more stone cold lock on the Bills roster than Stevie Johnson. That's not opinion, chief...it's fact. But I would actually pay to see the look on Marrone's face if you asked him the same question.

How about this scenario: Right now the CB position is Gilmore and WTF, which is a very bad situation for the D. So pick a team with a great CB that's weak at WR. Now let's say that team approaches Marrone about a straight up trade for Stevie. If that CB is good enough, I think the Bills make that trade in a heartbeat.

One thing I've picked up about this coaching staff is that they want the players to do it their way. Did you notice the remark Marrone made a while back about Stevie's free lancing tendencies? He didn't look too happy about it.

Do I think Stevie will be starting in September? Absolutely. I would be surprised if he wasn't on the roster. But I wouldn't be shocked if he wasn't. It's a new day in Billistan.

How about this scenario: Right now the CB position is Gilmore and WTF, which is a very bad situation for the D. So pick a team with a great CB that's weak at WR. Now let's say that team approaches Marrone about a straight up trade for Stevie. If that CB is good enough, I think the Bills make that trade in a heartbeat.

One thing I've picked up about this coaching staff is that they want the players to do it their way. Did you notice the remark Marrone made a while back about Stevie's free lancing tendencies? He didn't look too happy about it.

Do I think Stevie will be starting in September? Absolutely. I would be surprised if he wasn't on the roster. But I wouldn't be shocked if he wasn't. It's a new day in Billistan.

I've been scared to share my theory here that Stevie's success to-date is due in large part to Chan & Fitz, and that his free-wheeling style may not be the right fit for most other coaches/qb's/schemes...including our new one(s).

Now I've heard it all. Stevie Johnson has had three consecutive 1000-yd seasons as a WR primarily because of -- wait for it -- Ryan Fitzpatrick.

Time for me to wrap it up for the day.

Come on. You're better than that. It's one of the less wild theories floating around this place, and you know it! B-)

Now I've heard it all. Stevie Johnson has had three consecutive 1000-yd seasons as a WR primarily because of -- wait for it -- Ryan Fitzpatrick.

Time for me to wrap it up for the day.

I'm with you Eball on this one. To even think. Forget about typing the phrase. But to even think of Stevie not being on this year's final 53 is beyond stupid.

He has shown skills every preseason, just hasnt been able to make the regular season and even when i season was over last year Chan still wouldnt play him over Ruvell Martin.

and where is chan and martin now!

I'm with you Eball on this one. To even think. Forget about typing the phrase. But to even think of Stevie not being on this year's final 53 is beyond stupid.

But without citing his (good but not great) statistical achievements, what makes Stevie such an airtight lock?

I remember when people said the same thing about Evans...

But without citing his (good but not great) statistical achievements, what makes Stevie such an airtight lock?

I remember when people said the same thing about Evans...

That's the thing. You cant ignore his "(good but not great)" stats. But whatever I'll play along.

The reason he is an airtight lock right now is because he is a proven decent veteran. Veterans get some degree of leeway and respect.

Happy?

That's the thing. You cant ignore his "(good but not great)" stats. But whatever I'll play along.

The reason he is an airtight lock right now is because he is a proven decent veteran. Veterans get some degree of leeway and respect.

Happy?

For discussion's sake, I won't outright refute your point. I think it's mostly valid. But I'd argue he's not the veteran leader of this team, not even of the offense. I believe that distinction belongs to Freddy.

So, I maintain that those good-but-not-great stats--and don't play the homer card here, that's precisely what they are--those stats aren't indispensable in a system that looks to use the RB more frequently and that found 15 different receivers yesterday (that didn't include said featured back) and his "veteran" presence is equally non-indispensable...so...back to my original point about him being the right guy for the right system during the Chan Gailey years, I think I've presented a much stronger case for why he's not a lock.

But let's back up for a second here: I'm not saying he should be cut or that he will be cut, I'm simply refuting the idea that he's bullet proof under the new administration.

Plus, Marrone don't take no **** from nobody...that doesn't bode so well for the self-proclaimed Joker. (ducks)