Marcus Easley makes the team

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just when you think things can't get more complicated trying to figure out the WR position for the Buffalo Bills,

Marcus Easley was unstoppable today...

He is the most physically imposing of the receivers and he ran excellent routes today, snatched the ball out of the air and perhaps more importantly didn't have any drops.

In fact, none of the top receivers on the team dropped a ball today. Hogan couldn't bring in that worm burner from EJ but most receivers wouldn't have gotten a glove on that throw.

I said all off season I strongly believed Easley was gonna be a surprise player in camp and preseason. I predicted 6 WRs...SJ, Woods, TJ, Goodwin, Rogers, and Easley. They may surprise and keep 7, but I doubt it. If they do, then it will come down to Smith, Hogan, or Kaufman.

Easley needs to keep it up though, but man he sure made a statement today!

I would love to see them keep Rogers because he has million dollar talent, but he is at risk because of his ten cent head. On that sack/fumble/six he didn't chase the defender that picked up the ball and appeared to be whining to the sideline about Tuel not getting the ball to him. Didn't see him on the field after that. That's the same kind of thing that Stevie would do but I don't know if Marrone wants players on the field that lose focus like that, especially when he has so many young receivers playing at such a high level.

Note to Stevie: you might want to find a way to get back on the field. Soon.

Graham, Goodwin and Woods showed their skills on the field today, but I would like to see some size in that receiving corp for those colder, windy days to come. Hoping they find a way to keep Easley and Rogers. It appears from what we have heard in camp and saw today that Hogan is earning himself a spot and if he continues to be open all the time he deserves it. Maybe Kaufmann to the PS.

He is the most physically imposing of the receivers and he ran excellent routes today, snatched the ball out of the air and perhaps more importantly didn't have any drops.

In fact, none of the top receivers on the team dropped a ball today. Hogan couldn't bring in that worm burner from EJ but most receivers wouldn't have gotten a glove on that throw.

Actually Hogan got both gloves on it. He just couldn't haul it in.

In my ideal WR corp with this talent I'd have Stevie Johnson, tj graham, Robert woods, marquise Goodwin, DaRick Rogers and marcus Easley on the team with Kaufman or maybe hogan on the ps. Looking at our WR's if we cut DaRick hoping to get him on the ps hell be snatched up by another team quick. Kid is special and I think needs to make the roster so he can blossom. Brad smith really isn't doing too much for us and I'd just say cut him. For me the toughest decision would be between Kaufman, hogan and Easley after practice and today's game

uh oh here we go again....Easley played well but he didn't blow by anyone or overpower anybody for a jump ball. His catches were of the 5-7 yard variety and thrown perfectly by tuel I would add. He needs to show more speed and long ball type catches to make the team. Im rooting for him simply because I know him and I would like to see our draft picks succeed over ufa's He is not the biggest or tallest or fastest of the wrs but he and rogers have maybe the best combo of all of these. I hope he makes it but catching 7 yarders doesn't make him a great wr all of a sudden. Rogers had maybe 2-3 balls thrown his way, he is taller and faster than Easley too. I want to see him get more chances.

I could see this team carrying 7 receivers if Easley keeps up this type of production. It really wouldn't surprise me to see Brad Smith gone. But B.Smith could stay as I think they would like a veteran hand at WR who gives them a lot of trick play flexibility.

Stevie

Woods

Graham

Goodwin

B.Smith

Rodgers

Easley

It would be hard to say which one of those guys would be cut

I could see this team carrying 7 receivers if Easley keeps up this type of production. It really wouldn't surprise me to see Brad Smith gone. But B.Smith could stay as I think they would like a veteran hand at WR who gives them a lot of trick play flexibility.

Stevie

Woods

Graham

Goodwin

B.Smith

Rodgers

Easley

It would be hard to say which one of those guys would be cut

Stick with your instincts. It's not hard at all. Brad thanks for re doing the contract but we are going in a different direction.

"Actually" implies that I said he didn't.

Behind and just above the ankles to a tall, moving target doesn't get it done.

That throw was a Losman-esque start, but EJ warmed up and threw some good passes, particularly after he had that long run. He was known as a slow starter at FSU, so I am thinking they may script a run early to get him in a groove in coming games.

As for Hogan, maybe my standard for receiving expectations is low from having apologists explain away Eric Moulds/Josh Reed/Stevie Johnson drops year after year. :thumbsup:

If there is one thing this game showed the apologists it's that all those years of excusing poor preseason play as an unavoidable byproduct of new coaches, systems, players etc..was a crock.

If they actually followed the rest of the league they would know this is a quick turnaround league now, but in this instance it is right in front of them to see.

Whether they have the talent to outplay the other teams' top talent remains to be seen, but it won't be for lack of preparation for a change.

"Actually" implies that I said he didn't.

Behind and just above the ankles to a tall, moving target doesn't get it done.

That throw was a Losman-esque start, but EJ warmed up and threw some good passes, particularly after he had that long run. He was known as a slow starter at FSU, so I am thinking they may script a run early to get him in a groove in coming games.

As for Hogan, maybe my standard for receiving expectations is low from having apologists explain away Eric Moulds/Josh Reed/Stevie Johnson drops year after year. :thumbsup:

If there is one thing this game showed the apologists it's that all those years of excusing poor preseason play as an unavoidable byproduct of new coaches, systems, players etc..was a crock.

If they actually followed the rest of the league they would know this is a quick turnaround league now, but in this instance it is right in front of them to see.

Whether they have the talent to outplay the other teams' top talent remains to be seen, but it won't be for lack of preparation for a change.

The ball hit Hogan's hands. It would have been a tougher catch to make, but it wouldn't have taken a great WR to pull it in. What I did notice on the play that EJ lifted his back leg when he made the pass, which took some off the pass. Or maybe he was expecting an earlier (shallower) cut by Hogan? I don't know but I wouldn't make too much of it at this early stage.

Easley may not be the best WR on the team, but he made a case today that he deserves to be on the team.

I've been rooting for this kid since the beginning...I would love to see our patience finally pay off and to see him have a productive, healthy year.

Stick with your instincts. It's not hard at all. Brad thanks for re doing the contract but we are going in a different direction.

I would like to see how good Easley preforms against real competition not the Colts third string and scrubs. B.Smith has shown that he is a pretty capable offensive player. Smith also offers a good chance to run some gadget plays and Wildcat type formations. I think it might be hard to gut that versatile player until we see Easley really preform well under better conditions.

Also even if Easley preforms lights out against better competition its still possible that they might want to keep Smith because they like versatility.

Eric Moulds didn't look so good in his first few years in a Bills uniform, maybe Easley is a late bloomer like Moulds? Even though it was against backups, I didn't see Easley drop any passes.

Not really. Moulds was a monster in preseason in his first two years. But he never saw the field during the regular season because Marv didn't trust him. Different case with Easley.

I would like to see how good Easley preforms against real competition not the Colts third string and scrubs. B.Smith has shown that he is a pretty capable offensive player. Smith also offers a good chance to run some gadget plays and Wildcat type formations. I think it might be hard to gut that versatile player until we see Easley really preform well under better conditions.

Also even if Easley preforms lights out against better competition its still possible that they might want to keep Smith because they like versatility.

All fair and rational points. What are you doing here? :lol:

I didn't see Brad Smith once today. Didn't hear his name called and don't think he will be a kick returner for us and isn't a good enough receiver to go with these guys. He is a good guy though but I just see his name as being the easiest to erase to reduce a logjam of talent. Of course the fact he makes good coin doesn't help his case either.

This counts as a drop in my book.

I thought Easley looked great. I didn't see that coming. Granted it was against scrubs, but that's who he was up against. I'm thinking today performance may get him some first half plays next week. I am super excited about the way he played.

Edited by reddogblitz