Marcus Easley makes the team

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For discussion's sake, I won't outright refute your point. I think it's mostly valid. But I'd argue he's not the veteran leader of this team, not even of the offense. I believe that distinction belongs to Freddy.

So, I maintain that those good-but-not-great stats--and don't play the homer card here, that's precisely what they are--those stats aren't indispensable in a system that looks to use the RB more frequently and that found 15 different receivers yesterday (that didn't include said featured back) and his "veteran" presence is equally non-indispensable...so...back to my original point about him being the right guy for the right system during the Chan Gailey years, I think I've presented a much stronger case for why he's not a lock.

But let's back up for a second here: I'm not saying he should be cut or that he will be cut, I'm simply refuting the idea that he's bullet proof under the new administration.

Plus, Marrone don't take no **** from nobody...that doesn't bode so well for the self-proclaimed Joker. (ducks)

Picture Stevie in Hogan's place yesterday. Tell me EJ won't look for him with the way he gets open, tell me his unorthodox route running won't mesh with a rookie QB looking for easy completions to build confidence. Add Chandler to that equation.

Just for the fun of it, I'd like to hear from those of you who think there's no possible way Stevie won't make the roster. And what I'd like to hear is which top vets are also 100% locks to make the roster.

Hi! Well, maybe I shouldn't say there's no possible way, if Johnson pulls some stupid off-the-field crap involving a brush with the law or something, but I haven't seen anything to make me think that he will.

Other vets? Williams & Williams, Carrington, Wood, Urbik, Spiller, Chandler. Glenn and Gilmore, depending on your definition of veteran. I'm sure there are others I'm overlooking, but there aren't many players that I consider more of a lock to be on the team this year than Johnson.

Seriously, guy has 3 straight 1000-yard seasons and you think there's a chance that he's going to get cut without a major precipitating incident? Please think it through.

Don't forget special teams gents. And Easley is a contributor in coverage and returns on specials. That and his performance will put him on the final roster. The Bills would be FOOLS to cut him. Rogers is going straight to the practice squad. He didn't necessarily have an outstanding performance.

IN seriousness, Marucs Easley might be one of the best Bills players in pre-season history. Sounds foolish doesn't it.....I tell you this....the reason why Easley has been such an enigma is because of his pre season performance. It wasn't like he was a day 1 pick. and he isn't the first bigger receiver to run a 4.4. The guy has made the most of all of his opportunities in the pre season. If he can stay healthy the guy should get a chance to be on the field.

Lastly, why is TJ the starter???? That guy hasn't showed anything.

Hi! Well, maybe I shouldn't say there's no possible way, if Johnson pulls some stupid off-the-field crap involving a brush with the law or something, but I haven't seen anything to make me think that he will.

Other vets? Williams & Williams, Carrington, Wood, Urbik, Spiller, Chandler. Glenn and Gilmore, depending on your definition of veteran. I'm sure there are others I'm overlooking, but there aren't many players that I consider more of a lock to be on the team this year than Johnson.I

Seriously, guy has 3 straight 1000-yard seasons and you think there's a chance that he's going to get cut without a major precipitating incident? Please think it through

I didn't say he would be cut just that I didn't think he or any other vet was a lock to make the roster. I hope he's there & I think it's maybe 99% he's there. But stranger things have happened.

I didn't say he would be cut just that I didn't think he or any other vet was a lock to make the roster. I hope he's there & I think it's maybe 99% he's there. But stranger things have happened.

There's no way he doesn't make the team, again, barring some major incident that really changes the way he is perceived (but that could be true for anyone in the league). Guys who have put up the numbers he has, who are 1 year into the kind of contract he has, do not get cut.

If your point is a quibble in the sense that nothing in life is 100% certain, I can't argue with that but I don't think it is a meaningful point in this context.

Picture Stevie in Hogan's place yesterday. Tell me EJ won't look for him with the way he gets open, tell me his unorthodox route running won't mesh with a rookie QB looking for easy completions to build confidence. Add Chandler to that equation.

I don't disagree. But comparing Stevie to a guy who is as likely to make the 53 as Stevie is NOT to make the 53 doesn't really prove anything.

Now I've heard it all. Stevie Johnson has had three consecutive 1000-yd seasons as a WR primarily because of -- wait for it -- Ryan Fitzpatrick.

Time for me to wrap it up for the day.

im sure you remember my post about sj slot wr. I said hes gone in two years "if" rogers is any good. Now w one preseason game and 7 catches Easley is the new super star. But isn't it due to tuel throwing him almost every pass when he was on the field? he caught 7 balls for a very sj like 13 yards a catch. before this game he was considered a cut by most now hes a lock for the bills or some nfl team. Hes not shown anything yet except the ability to catch perfectly thrown passes. But yes SJ did get most of the targets from fitz, its not hard to get a 1000 yards in a season when you get 10+ chances a game to catch a football.

Lastly, why is TJ the starter???? That guy hasn't showed anything.

I think a lot of posters don't ever look up the height and weight of the players. someone else here said tj reminds them of Donald jones. WTF? ones huge and has marginal speed, the others small light and has exceptional speed. TJ has lee evans speed but needs another season to show if he can handle being a "two". hes bigger than Goodwin who will be the 3 or 4 for this team. I saw Goodwin as a replacement for TJ but hes apparently had a great preseason ( in practice anyway) so maybe that's why hes a starter so far. No matter how good Goodwin is he'll never start as a 1 or 2, hes too small. As a 2 TJ barely has the size so it depends on his hands. Woods is about the smallest you want as a starter at 190 and 6'1 hes like peerless price. Edited by enlightener

Just for the fun of it, I'd like to hear from those of you who think there's no possible way Stevie won't make the roster. And what I'd like to hear is which top vets are also 100% locks to make the roster.

EVERYBODY should think Stevie is a lock. If anybody thinks otherwise then they just don't know football. Or maybe anything, for that matter.

Roster LOCKS (not just vets):

EJ Manuel, CJ Spiller, Stevie Johnson, Robert Woods, Marquise Goodwin, Scott Chandler, Eric Wood, Kraig Urbik, Cordy Glenn, Mario Williams, Alan Branch, Manny Lawson, Jerry Hughes, Alex Carrington, Marcell Dareus, Kyle Williams, Kiko Alonso, Nigel Bradham, Leodis McKelvin, Stephon Gilmore, Da'Norris Searcy, Aaron Williams, Duke Williams, Garrison Sanborn.

That's just 24 players. There are at least 10 other guys that are in the "90% category" but I still left some off.

For discussion's sake, I won't outright refute your point. I think it's mostly valid. But I'd argue he's not the veteran leader of this team, not even of the offense. I believe that distinction belongs to Freddy.

So, I maintain that those good-but-not-great stats--and don't play the homer card here, that's precisely what they are--those stats aren't indispensable in a system that looks to use the RB more frequently and that found 15 different receivers yesterday (that didn't include said featured back) and his "veteran" presence is equally non-indispensable...so...back to my original point about him being the right guy for the right system during the Chan Gailey years, I think I've presented a much stronger case for why he's not a lock.

But let's back up for a second here: I'm not saying he should be cut or that he will be cut, I'm simply refuting the idea that he's bullet proof under the new administration.

Plus, Marrone don't take no **** from nobody...that doesn't bode so well for the self-proclaimed Joker. (ducks)

Fail. I really do see your point. You clarified it really well. But it just simply is not possible.

You want me to ignore his stats to play along. But in this game of football, besides being a good character and bla bla, stats is all you have to base talent on. I'm not being a homer in denying his stats. I never said they were megatron stats, nevertheless, they are still strong for the ineffective system he played for 3 years. (bad qb bad coach, etc.)

Actually you may be more of a homer in denying his stats. Think about that.

I'm out for now. Good night yall!!!

Here's the thing about the Easley/Smith/Rogers debate:

The Bills are not built to win the Superbowl this year. If you're building out this roster, you need to keep an eye on the overall goal of making this team sustainably competitive for the next 3-5 years, not just this year. You also have to keep an eye on finances.

So that's why Brad Smith is the odd man out, IMO. Yes he is versatile and helps the team this year. But he's a bit older than the other guys and you have to figure that his skills will start to decline in the next couple of years. He'd be a great puzzle piece for a playoff team but that's not what we have here. So I keep Easley over Smith. Perhaps Smith is even tradeable given his paycut.

As for Rogers, he's just too talented to try to stash on the PS. There are a lot of seriously receiver-needy teams out there (New England, Baltimore, Miami, Jets) who could snatch up a guy like that. Baltimore in particular has the lockerroom to take a chance on a character issue like him. If you think he has the talent, you can't risk losing him, unless you're convinced he's not coachable by this coaching staff. I think he stays.

Kaufman and Hogan, by contrast, are good low-ceiling players who probably could be stashed away on the PS without too much risk, and that's what I expect will happen with one or both of them.

To the bolded above, I don't recall anyone else suggesting this so kudos to you.

Trading Brad Smith makes a lot of sense. He of all the Bills wideouts (and yes, Stevie is a lock and a valued player) might have some trade value and if the preseason plays out the way it looks like it may, there's gonna be a logjam at wideout.

you guys are better than this. Stevie wont make the roster? lot of credibility getting lost fast here.

sj rules fitz was putrid.....this thread is heeeeeelarious.

might have to warm up the good old block button (its been a while)

Edited by Ryan L Billz

im sure you remember my post about sj slot wr. I said hes gone in two years "if" rogers is any good. Now w one preseason game and 7 catches Easley is the new super star. But isn't it due to tuel throwing him almost every pass when he was on the field? he caught 7 balls for a very sj like 13 yards a catch. before this game he was considered a cut by most now hes a lock for the bills or some nfl team. Hes not shown anything yet except the ability to catch perfectly thrown passes. But yes SJ did get most of the targets from fitz, its not hard to get a 1000 yards in a season when you get 10+ chances a game to catch a football.

This is a load of crap and disrespectful to Stevie. He had Fitz throwing to him. And even if he was getting 10+ chances a game which I doubt, you also know they weren't bombs that he was getting so the yardage he gets is yardage he earned. Start the season please!

What was it? 4th Qtr and 5 straight plays? use the same play until they stop it. the Colts couldn't stop it.

In reality -- How many teams built to win the Superbowl actually win the Superbowl????

It was early third quarter. he was gone after two series, 7 catches and 94 yards. Think Tuel likes him?

sj rules fitz was putrid.....

Takes two to tango.

they are still strong for the ineffective system he played for 3 years. (bad qb bad coach, etc.)

Takes two to tango.

I get that Fitz and Coach Gailey were morons and sucked. But seriously, a guy can't get 1,000 yards for 3 years running all by his little lonesome.

EVERYBODY should think Stevie is a lock. If anybody thinks otherwise then they just don't know football. Or maybe anything, for that matter.

Roster LOCKS (not just vets):

EJ Manuel, CJ Spiller, Stevie Johnson, Robert Woods, Marquise Goodwin, Scott Chandler, Eric Wood, Kraig Urbik, Cordy Glenn, Mario Williams, Alan Branch, Manny Lawson, Jerry Hughes, Alex Carrington, Marcell Dareus, Kyle Williams, Kiko Alonso, Nigel Bradham, Leodis McKelvin, Stephon Gilmore, Da'Norris Searcy, Aaron Williams, Duke Williams, Garrison Sanborn.

That's just 24 players. There are at least 10 other guys that are in the "90% category" but I still left some off.

Alan Branch is not a lock. Searcy may not be a lock either.