Mark Anderson released.

Kevin

• Replies 318
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A team with plenty of holes just made another one. Typical Buffalo Bills move the past decade.

your kidding right? Cutting Anderson is hardly making a hole. In fact he created a hole last year by being on the team but not producing anything.

Blatnick is solid vs the run and more versatile than Anderson? An undrafted FA that hasn't played a regular season down in the NFL is solid vs the run and more versatile than a guy whos has multiple 10+ sack season? Interesting.

But....but...but Chris Brown's article said Jamie Blatnick is super duper awesome!!

During the Nix "Regime" 2010-2012

UFA / Re-signed players not with team

Dwan Edwards: Signed as an UFA to a 4 year 18M contract March 2010 (cut September 2012)

Cornell Green: Signed as an UFA to a 3 year 9M contract March 2010 (cut November 2010)

Chris Kelsay: Re-signed to a 5 year 28.2M contract extension September 2010 (retired February 2013)

George Wilson: Re-signed to a 3 year 7M contract March 2011 (cut February 2013)

Drayton Florence: Re-signed to a 3 year 15M contract July 2011 (cut May 2012)

Tyler Thigpen: Signed as an UFA to a 3 year 11M contract July 2011 (cut March 2013)

Nick Barnett: Signed as an UFA to a 3 year 12M contract July 2011 (cut February 2013)

Ryan Fitzpatrick: Re-signed to a 6 year 59M contract October 2011 (cut March 2013)

Vince Young: Signed as an UFA to a 1 year 2M contract May 2012 (cut August 2012)

Mark Anderson: Signed as an UFA to a 4 year 20M contract March 2012 (cut January 2013)

UFA / Re-signings

Kyle Williams: Re-signed to a 6 year 33.6M contract extension July 2011 (2013 starter)

Brad Smith: Signed as an UFA to a 4 year 15M contract July 2011 (potential cut 2013)

Rian Lindell: Re-signed to a 4 year 10M contract extension February 2012 (potential cut 2013)

Steve Johnson: Re-signed to a 5 year 36.25M contract extension March 2012 (2013 starter)

Mario Williams: Signed as an UFA to a 6 year 96M contract March 2012 (potential re-structuring 2014)

Fred Jackson: Re-signed to a 3 year 10.8M contract extension May 2012 (2013 primary backup)

Kraig Urbik: Re-signed to a 4 year 13.3M contract extension December 2012 (2013 starter)

Nix decided to sign 17 players during his tenure. 10 are no longer on the roster and departed before their contract was up, meaning his hit rate was about 40%. That's a far cry from the batting 1.000 you mentioned, but still well above the .333 winning percentage his teams recorded. And if Brad Smith and Lindell are cut, well, then we're back to about a one-third hit rate.

To be fair, you left off chandler and pears, but I agree with the point that you are making.

Yet Russ Brandon praised Buddy and all he did for this organization at the year end press conference. Like I've been saying, the franchise is a joke and will continue to be until Ralph passes and the people within the organization are gone.

Ha ha ha, hilarious.

During the Nix "Regime" 2010-2012

UFA / Re-signed players not with team

Dwan Edwards: Signed as an UFA to a 4 year 18M contract March 2010 (cut September 2012)

Cornell Green: Signed as an UFA to a 3 year 9M contract March 2010 (cut November 2010)

Chris Kelsay: Re-signed to a 5 year 28.2M contract extension September 2010 (retired February 2013)

George Wilson: Re-signed to a 3 year 7M contract March 2011 (cut February 2013)

Drayton Florence: Re-signed to a 3 year 15M contract July 2011 (cut May 2012)

Tyler Thigpen: Signed as an UFA to a 3 year 11M contract July 2011 (cut March 2013)

Nick Barnett: Signed as an UFA to a 3 year 12M contract July 2011 (cut February 2013)

Ryan Fitzpatrick: Re-signed to a 6 year 59M contract October 2011 (cut March 2013)

Vince Young: Signed as an UFA to a 1 year 2M contract May 2012 (cut August 2012)

Mark Anderson: Signed as an UFA to a 4 year 20M contract March 2012 (cut January 2013)

UFA / Re-signings

Kyle Williams: Re-signed to a 6 year 33.6M contract extension July 2011 (2013 starter)

Brad Smith: Signed as an UFA to a 4 year 15M contract July 2011 (potential cut 2013)

Rian Lindell: Re-signed to a 4 year 10M contract extension February 2012 (potential cut 2013)

Steve Johnson: Re-signed to a 5 year 36.25M contract extension March 2012 (2013 starter)

Mario Williams: Signed as an UFA to a 6 year 96M contract March 2012 (potential re-structuring 2014)

Fred Jackson: Re-signed to a 3 year 10.8M contract extension May 2012 (2013 primary backup)

Kraig Urbik: Re-signed to a 4 year 13.3M contract extension December 2012 (2013 starter)

Nix decided to sign 17 players during his tenure. 10 are no longer on the roster and departed before their contract was up, meaning his hit rate was about 40%. That's a far cry from the batting 1.000 you mentioned, but still well above the .333 winning percentage his teams recorded. And if Brad Smith and Lindell are cut, well, then we're back to about a one-third hit rate.

Great stuff, thanks for posting! Off the top of my head, it looks like you're missing Erik Pears -- I know he signed an extension at some point. I think after the 2011 season? Not sure if anyone else is missing.

It's not a secret. Everyone got that text. Gotta say, wasn't really thrilled to find a picture of his junk on my phone, either.

Ha!

If you bat .333 you go to the All Star game.

Your numbers mean nothing unless you put them in context and compare them to other GMSs.

Don't stop him, he's on a roll.

Poster 1: [posts extensive if incomplete analysis that took significant time and effort to aggregate]

Poster 2: "I'm not addressing this until you do it 31 more times."

No, looking at the Bills in a vacuum doesn't come close to telling the whole story. But it's also not meaningless. Furthermore, BillsVet does have some comparative data in his post: The Bills winning % was 33% during the Nix regime, compared to the league average of 50%. So I don't think we should be sending Nix to the All Star game just yet. If you really think it's worthless, pick a team and do your own breakdown. It takes a village, you guys. Don't just dismiss BillsVet's work because it's not complete -- lend a hand and help finish the job! 32 posters can come together and break down the whole league!

Or don't, whatever.

First thought I had. Did he participate in the OTAs?

Not sure. But he could have and been deemed "healthy," but a shell of his former self. They probably figured he'd never get better and they had guys behind him they wanted to evaluate.

Are you suggesting Nix signed Anderson against the wishes and recommendation of his Pro Personnel Director?

Are you suggesting that Nix didn't have final say and that his coaches had no input on personnel matters?

Blatnick is solid vs the run and more versatile than Anderson? An undrafted FA that hasn't played a regular season down in the NFL is solid vs the run and more versatile than a guy whos has multiple 10+ sack season? Interesting.

A couple 10 sack seasons shows that he can rush the passer. That's all. That's not being versatile. That's a one trick pony. While I believe Anderson is a better pass rusher than blatnick, I think blatnick has a better all around game. His agility and side to side movement is much better than Anderson and better suited to stop the run. He had 8 sacks his last year in college, but stopping the run was his strength. Since then, he's lost weight and worked on his speed and explosiveness. Who knows if his work has paid off to the point that he'll make the team, but I'd bet the Bills staff thinks Blatnick is more versatile than Anderson.

http://www.fanaticalyankee.com/3/post/2012/02/jamie-blatnick-2012-nfl-draft-scouting-reports.html

ver·sa·tile

Adjective

Able to adapt or be adapted to many different functions or activities: "a versatile saw".

Changeable; inconstant.

Synonyms

many-sided - all-round - multilateral

Anderson is one sided, one dimensional and unilateral. The opposite of versatile. Just because Blatnick isn't a known commodity doesn't mean he can't be more versatile than a completely one dimensional player like Anderson.

Edited by NewEra

I think we should agree that all personel decisions was were made with collective input, and everyone should be accountable for it. Most of the responsibility falls on the top guys, and Whaley was 2nd in command.

I don't think their FA signing record is THAT bad. I think it is quite decent, and better than what the recent previous regimes have done. Now their drafting on the other hand..... there is a bit of a mess

Everybody still talking about a 3-4 base I see...gotta think we'll play 4-3 more often (though it will often look like a 3-4), based on our personnel, and what Pettine has been talking about (attacking). It makes no sense to me to ask the likes of Kyle Williams and Alex Carrington to stay at the LOS and clog. Plays to their weaknesses rather than their strengths (penetrating).

Additionally if you look at some of the content the Bills have put out, they talk about the competition for the Mike LB spot as if it's ONE position rather than two.

In a multiple/hybrid scheme like ours the "base defense" is less important but I'm pretty confident we'll play one gap a lot more often than two gap. 3-4 will be a change of pace.

LOL at the posts in this thread...A) This is not that big of a surprise, he wasn't signed by this regime for this scheme...he was signed under the old regime to fit what they hoped to do. B) Why bring him to camp and take reps away from guys they can see playing his spot like Hughes and Carrington. C) This had NOTHING to do with money, in fact, from what I understand, this costs them actually $500k more than if they just kept him. D) People piling on Buddy over this seem to forget that the GM goes after the people the staff wants and for their scheme. At the time he was signed, it seemed to make a lot of sense.

This whole board was going ape sh*t about how bad they wanted Albert Haynesworth and how cheap the Bills are for not going after him that year he was a FA and Washington signed him to a huge contract...those same fans mocked the Redskins later for signing him when Albert didnt pan out there as if they knew all along lmao. Just like when we signed Mark Anderson, it appeared to be a good signing at the time and good value, he just didn't work out due to injury last year and now we have a new scheme and new regime that wants a different type of player. Buddy did his job at the time, and when we signed him it was vastly agreed here to be a solid signing and a good move by the FO.

Truth is, the vast majority of the people here might as well be clowning themselves too because most of you liked the original signing too.

Bottom line, I think this D is more talented than people think and that Pettine has a plan and a style to utilize those talents finally and guys like Carrington, Bardham, and Hughes could prove to be real factors playing along side Dareus, Mario, Kyle, Kiko, and Manny (yes I included Kiko because I personally believe he is going to be a strong candidate for DROY and going to be an impact player THIS year and have thought so since draft night).

LOL at the posts in this thread...A) This is not that big of a surprise, he wasn't signed by this regime for this scheme...he was signed under the old regime to fit what they hoped to do. B) Why bring him to camp and take reps away from guys they can see playing his spot like Hughes and Carrington. C) This had NOTHING to do with money, in fact, from what I understand, this costs them actually $500k more than if they just kept him. D) People piling on Buddy over this seem to forget that the GM goes after the people the staff wants and for their scheme. At the time he was signed, it seemed to make a lot of sense.

This whole board was going ape sh*t about how bad they wanted Albert Haynesworth and how cheap the Bills are for not going after him that year he was a FA and Washington signed him to a huge contract...those same fans mocked the Redskins later for signing him when Albert didnt pan out there as if they knew all along lmao. Just like when we signed Mark Anderson, it appeared to be a good signing at the time and good value, he just didn't work out due to injury last year and now we have a new scheme and new regime that wants a different type of player. Buddy did his job at the time, and when we signed him it was vastly agreed here to be a solid signing and a good move by the FO.

Truth is, the vast majority of the people here might as well be clowning themselves too because most of you liked the original signing too.

Bottom line, I think this D is more talented than people think and that Pettine has a plan and a style to utilize those talents finally and guys like Carrington, Bardham, and Hughes could prove to be real factors playing along side Dareus, Mario, Kyle, Kiko, and Manny (yes I included Kiko because I personally believe he is going to be a strong candidate for DROY and going to be an impact player THIS year and have thought so since draft night).

You need to stop this logical and rational thought process. It could get you banned.

so whats normal turnover for a roster that has switched schemes so many times?

heck, what is normal across the league during that stretch? without anything to compare to its a pretty worthless stat.