Mark Anderson released.

Kevin

Looked pretty good in what? OTAs? Give me a break. A team with plenty of holes just made another one. Typical Buffalo Bills move the past decade.

Honestly, they had plenty of OLB. You got Mario and Lawson are the starters and Hughes is the situational pass rusher. Anderson was fighting for situational pass rusher, and he probably couldn't fill that role.

• Replies 318
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oi vey...it feels like a waste, but I'm not shedding too many tears. To be honest, edge rusher is looking kind of stacked these days, and it looks like we can the same or better production out of some of the younger, cheaper guys so I'm not shedding any tears.

Hairston being gone, however, is a bit disturbed.

WHO GIVES A **** ABOUT THE PLAYER's SALARY when the team is well under the cap!!!!???

I really don't understand y'alls fascination when THE BILLS ARE UNDER THE CAP. They can sign whomever they can reach an agreement with. Mark Anderson's contract didn't prevent any signings.

Yes the money could have been better spent but $8 Mill for a player coming off of a 10 sack season isn't exactly a bone headed move.

It was always a Medium Risk-High Reward Move. There are no other FAs we missed on because of the Anderson move. They took a shoot, signed a FA and missed.

I applaud the FO for cutting bait quickly instead of keeping him on the roster longer. Typically these types of signing linger for years then amount to nothing. Atleast it was 1 and done. Instead of 2.5 and done.

My only hope is Byrd said "I'll sign if you cut that Gold-Bricking MArk Anderson D-Bag." and Whaley was like

"No Problem. Done."

Looked pretty good in what? OTAs? Give me a break. A team with plenty of holes just made another one. Typical Buffalo Bills move the past decade.

You are missing the point.

There's no way they cut anybody on the team, in a vaccuum, and "make a hole" unless we are talking about a behavioral problem.

Short of that, the decision to cut one guy or another is dependent on the other players on the team. They didn't cut Kerry Wood, or Fred Jackson, or Stevie Johnson.

They cut the guy who has injury problems, in favor of the 1st round draft pick we traded for, it's as simple as that.

You are missing the point.

There's no way they cut anybody on the team, in a vaccuum, and "make a hole" unless we are talking about a behavioral problem.

Short of that, the decision to cut one guy or another is dependent on the other players on the team. They didn't cut Kerry Wood, or Fred Jackson, or Stevie Johnson.

They cut the guy who has injury problems, in favor of the 1st round draft pick we traded for, it's as simple as that.

When did Kerry Wood start pitching for the Bills?

Or, dare we say it: Hughes or somebody looked pretty good?

If that was the case, wouldn't Anderson have been cut earlier (right after OTAs, when Hughes' great performance was fresh on their minds) or later (during training camp, when they could see Hughes outplaying him every day)? I dunno. Just seems like odd timing.

Not terribly surprising, although I expected it to be after the start of camp.

Hopefully Hairston can play at some point. I guess Pears will be the guy at RT and Sanders the backup?

In the Bills' article on the subject, they said that Harrison's on Active PUP, which means he can be activated as soon as he's medically cleared. So not that big a deal? I don't have time to dive down the rabbit hole of trying to catch up on PUP rules, but I know there's also a PUP list that keeps guys out for at least the first 6 weeks. I believe the difference comes down to when the guy in question suffered his injury, but maybe the Active PUP is only available before training camp starts? If so, this is just good precautionary management by the Bills -- no downside.

depends on why they cut him. They cut cheap players all the time too. Donald Jones and David Nelson were pretty cheap players, and they didn't bat an eye to release them. Personally, I think if anderson was making league minimum, he probably would have been cut faster and probably about the time Jones and Nelson were cut. I bet his high salary and the dead money was the only thing keeping him on the roster this long.

Jones and Nelson weren't cut, they hit free agency and the Bills declined to tender them as restricted free agents. Would've cost at least $1.33 million each to tender them.

I'm cool with the decision to cut Anderson, because you have to do a cost-benefit analysis, and Anderson's doesn't shake out. But if a player of his age and pedigree (multiple 10+ sack seasons) was making the minimum, a team would absolutely wait until he looks like crap in training camp before cutting him. In fact, I expect him to quickly sign on somewhere once he clears waivers, and either make that team on potential or be part of the last set of cuts.

Edited by Cash

Again, people don't understand how these decisions are made. Nix signed Anderson to fit Wannstedt's plan for the defense. Anderson got hurt and we all found out Wannstedt still thinks he is coaching in the mid-90s.

Anderson was a bust but it wasn't a horrible contract and it wasn't a ridiculous decision. Most fans and experts lauded the move when made.

Exactly.

It wasn't a horrible contract or a ridiculous decision.

You can call it a swing and a miss, but no one bats 1.000

I wonder if belicheat will pick him up

I think early odds would be on the cheats but really Mark Anderson is a hired gun, Whatever team is the highest bidder will be the team he plays for in 2013.

He may even be picked up on the Waiver Wire. The contracts is not that bad if he is healthy.

Edited by Why So Serious?

When did Kerry Wood start pitching for the Bills?

Bah!

If that was the case, wouldn't Anderson have been cut earlier (right after OTAs, when Hughes' great performance was fresh on their minds) or later (during training camp, when they could see Hughes outplaying him every day)? I dunno. Just seems like odd timing.

That's why I think the medical staff essentially made this cut. But, it was made safe to do so, based on what they think they have in other players.

Edited by OCinBuffalo

We were supposed to get rid of Billy Buffalo, not Mark Anderson

The destruction of the past and the rebuilding of the future continues. There will be a price to pay beyond what has already been paid. 4 -12 this year as the new parts are installed. Maybe. Could come out 0 -4, 0 - 5, something like that. I was down on Gailey and Fitz like everyone, but blowing everything up and starting from scratch from coaches/front office to skill positions has pretty much killed the 2013 season.

Fair comments to my original post, but I don't remember there being a lot of interest in Anderson from other teams and the Patriots were not aggressive in trying to re-sign him. Also, a $3 million cap hit next year is not insignficant and it never looks good, particularly to players, when you sign a guy and then release him after one season.

Fair comments to my original post, but I don't remember there being a lot of interest in Anderson from other teams and the Patriots were not aggressive in trying to re-sign him. Also, a $3 million cap hit next year is not insignficant and it never looks good, particularly to players, when you sign a guy and then release him after one season.

They can (and I fully expect them to) eat all the dead money this year, which frees up space for next year when they'll need it.

However, don't think this cut is purely fiscally based. He's simply a guy who doesn't fit and has health questions. They're throwing him a bone by giving him the opportunity to catch on elsewhere.

WHO GIVES A **** ABOUT THE PLAYER's SALARY when the team is well under the cap!!!!???

I really don't understand y'alls fascination when THE BILLS ARE UNDER THE CAP. They can sign whomever they can reach an agreement with. Mark Anderson's contract didn't prevent any signings.

Yes the money could have been better spent but $8 Mill for a player coming off of a 10 sack season isn't exactly a bone headed move.

It was always a Medium Risk-High Reward Move. There are no other FAs we missed on because of the Anderson move. They took a shoot, signed a FA and missed.

I applaud the FO for cutting bait quickly instead of keeping him on the roster longer. Typically these types of signing linger for years then amount to nothing. Atleast it was 1 and done. Instead of 2.5 and done.

My only hope is Byrd said "I'll sign if you cut that Gold-Bricking MArk Anderson D-Bag." and Whaley was like

"No Problem. Done."

Why so Serious??

I like it because Belichek did the same thing to Anderson last year. His 10 sacks were an aberition and BillyBoy was likely happy the hapless Bills payed a small fortune for him. Pettine knows NE and knows what it takes to defend them. - And Anderson 'ain't that guy'.

Exactly.

It wasn't a horrible contract or a ridiculous decision.

You can call it a swing and a miss, but no one bats 1.000

During the Nix "Regime" 2010-2012

UFA / Re-signed players not with team

Dwan Edwards: Signed as an UFA to a 4 year 18M contract March 2010 (cut September 2012)

Cornell Green: Signed as an UFA to a 3 year 9M contract March 2010 (cut November 2010)

Chris Kelsay: Re-signed to a 5 year 28.2M contract extension September 2010 (retired February 2013)

George Wilson: Re-signed to a 3 year 7M contract March 2011 (cut February 2013)

Drayton Florence: Re-signed to a 3 year 15M contract July 2011 (cut May 2012)

Tyler Thigpen: Signed as an UFA to a 3 year 11M contract July 2011 (cut March 2013)

Nick Barnett: Signed as an UFA to a 3 year 12M contract July 2011 (cut February 2013)

Ryan Fitzpatrick: Re-signed to a 6 year 59M contract October 2011 (cut March 2013)

Vince Young: Signed as an UFA to a 1 year 2M contract May 2012 (cut August 2012)

Mark Anderson: Signed as an UFA to a 4 year 20M contract March 2012 (cut January 2013)

UFA / Re-signings

Kyle Williams: Re-signed to a 6 year 33.6M contract extension July 2011 (2013 starter)

Brad Smith: Signed as an UFA to a 4 year 15M contract July 2011 (potential cut 2013)

Erik Pears: Re-signed to a 4 year 9.8M contract December 2011 (likely 2013 starter)

Rian Lindell: Re-signed to a 4 year 10M contract extension February 2012 (potential cut 2013)

Steve Johnson: Re-signed to a 5 year 36.25M contract extension March 2012 (2013 starter)

Mario Williams: Signed as an UFA to a 6 year 96M contract March 2012 (potential re-structuring 2014)

Scott Chandler, Re-signed to a 2 year 5.5M contract March 2012 (2013 starter)

Fred Jackson: Re-signed to a 3 year 10.8M contract extension May 2012 (2013 primary backup)

Kraig Urbik: Re-signed to a 4 year 13.3M contract extension December 2012 (2013 starter)

Nix decided to sign 19 players during his tenure. 10 are no longer on the roster and departed before their contract was up, meaning his hit rate was about 50%. That's a far cry from the batting 1.000 you mentioned, but still well above the .333 winning percentage his teams recorded. If Brad Smith and Lindell are cut, well, then Nix has so far hit on about 40% of his signings.

Edited by BillsVet