Patriots' Hernandez arrested in homicide investigation

there are a whole lot of indications this morning that its a safe assumption. how bad that is we will see, but it seems (between the way the arrest went down, the release, comments like this....) that its about to get real ugly for him.

I'm guessing murder charges will be brought.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"There is a lot of chatter on Boston media that the Patriots have a lot of insight as to what extent Hernandez was involved and that is why he was released today." This was a comment from the PFT article linked above. If that is the case, then I can see these investigators serving warrants on Gillette Stadium, training room, emails of Bellichick, Kraft, other players maybe. God, how I would love to have the Hoodie served with a trial subpoena the day before our home opener or even mid-week....I wonder what these guys knew? Did AH text Hoodie and say "help me coach" or other players and ask for advice?? Crazy stuff but if it means the Patriots organization will be embroiled in discovery, depositions, affidavits and searches of the stadium/locker room, etc...I'm all for it!!

I am going to get skewered for saying this, but for this moment I appreciate what the Pats* did here. They cut ties with a potential law-breaker/obstructer and a team distraction. Yes, they took a risk in drafting him but have now cut ties with that mistake. Can't find much to hate about their action.

Don't laud them too much. I think they know, or at least have a strong suspicion, that he did it and are releasing him because he'll be in jail or at least suspended.

"There is a lot of chatter on Boston media that the Patriots have a lot of insight as to what extent Hernandez was involved and that is why he was released today." This was a comment from the PFT article linked above. If that is the case, then I can see these investigators serving warrants on Gillette Stadium, training room, emails of Bellichick, Kraft, other players maybe. God, how I would love to have the Hoodie served with a trial subpoena the day before our home opener or even mid-week....I wonder what these guys knew? Did AH text Hoodie and say "help me coach" or other players and ask for advice?? Crazy stuff but if it means the Patriots organization will be embroiled in discovery, depositions, affidavits and searches of the stadium/locker room, etc...I'm all for it!!

more likely, i would assume that means robert kraft and the DA may have had a quick talk and hes aware of the charges that are coming and atleast vaguely the evidence. not that they have secret info the police want. though i guess the latter is possible....

Edited by NoSaint

I'm sure they would much rather have the Tebow circus over a murder investigation

True, but the AH thing will still create somewhat of a circus and now they'll have to answer questions about moving Tebow to TE, how it's going, if he's pissed he's not playing QB anymore, etc.

True, but the AH thing will still create somewhat of a circus and now they'll have to answer questions about moving Tebow to TE, how it's going, if he's pissed he's not playing QB anymore, etc.

given their huge depth at TE, theres probably limited chance of that move happening.

Gronk if healthy, Ballard, Hoonamawanui, Fells, Sudfeld is not a terrible position group.

Edited by NoSaint

Low risk? Bringing in a probable murderer to the Buffalo community and giving him millions of dollars of hard-earned WNY money?

sarcasm button Didnt work there apparently.

Don't laud them too much. I think they know, or at least have a strong suspicion, that he did it and are releasing him because he'll be in jail or at least suspended.

word last night in ESPN radio was that Kraft was trying to have the FBI speed up the situation regarding Hernandez. Apparently he Didnt want the Pats being talked about on this one. Sounds like he couldn't get his way and decided to remove the team from the story altogether.

This case and the Browns rookie being arrested for attempted murder should reinforce that it is important to consider behavioral red-flags when evaluating draft prospects. I am not saying any college player ever arrested for drinking, drugs or disturbing the peace is off-limits, just that teams really need to look at the risk-reward balance when evaluating these players. Clearly, not every player is "just an immature kid who will outgrow his problems".

given their huge depth at TE, theres probably limited chance of that move happening.

Gronk if healthy, Ballard, Hoonamawanui, Fells, Sudfeld is not a terrible position group.

The only one worth anything is Gronk, if healthy. Hoomanamamnueia, Fells and Sudfeld are scrubs, and as I mentioned elsewhere, Ballard is only "close to 100%" despite having ACL surgery a year and a half ago.

Jim Kelly talking to Colin Cowherd about the situation and being in Tom Brady's shoes

''...wow I wouldn't want to go into this offseason the way Tom is going, but to be honest with ya it's the Patriots, I'm a Buffalo Bill, it doesn't bother me too much."

Gotta love Jimbo.

Hernandez was a huge mismatch that is why he played more then one position.

The only one worth anything is Gronk, if healthy. Hoomanamamnueia, Fells and Sudfeld are scrubs, and as I mentioned elsewhere, Ballard is only "close to 100%" despite having ACL surgery a year and a half ago.

ah, but tebow is a good enough prospect to merit the change. got it.

It'll actually be ex-Giant Jake Ballard I believe.

Yup. That move sure worked out for NE.

So, one would assume that the Pats spoke to Hernandez directly and he told them something otherwise they wouldn't take this step. How long until Hoody's subpeona arrives?

I would assume the Patriots have insider knowledge of the investigation and know that AH is likely to be in prison for a long time.

Sad that the Bills need Welker, Gronk and Hernandez gone, and probably Brady to have a chance according to our posts. :bag:

How is it sad teams lose players every year. Why is it pity for us that the Pats have been making dumb decisions.

Sad that the Bills need Welker, Gronk and Hernandez gone, and probably Brady to have a chance according to our posts. :bag:

Yea, it's sad that we need leading nfl receiver, one of, if not, the best tight end tandem in the league and one of the best QB's in the league out to have a chance. I think most other teams fans(particularly AFC East Fans) would love have most of them out the week they play them.

Yea, it's sad that we need leading nfl receiver, one of, if not, the best tight end tandem in the league and one of the best QB's in the league out to have a chance. I think most other teams fans(particularly AFC East Fans) would love have most of them out the week they play them.

@NFLONFOX: FACT: Of Tom Brady's 634 targets last season, 75.2% were to players no longer with the Patriots

How is it sad teams lose players every year. Why is it pity for us that the Pats have been making dumb decisions.

ill agree here. hopefully they dont pull a rabbit out of their hats and turn amendola into welker and all of a sudden us a camp fodder cut from some team as some magical weapon like they have in the past.

they took risks, they got rewards, and they face consequences. theyve handled losing talent before, but typically with a bit more warning and ability to plan for it. itll be interesting to see what direction they go. it seems they werent altogether ignoring the risks with gronk and AH though, as every year we have talked about how many TEs can they possibly sign... but itll be tough (impossible) to fully replace that talent at this point.

Yup. That move sure worked out for NE.

I would assume the Patriots have insider knowledge of the investigation and know that AH is likely to be in prison for a long time.

But wouldn't it have been cheaper/easier to just put him on some kind of reserved non-football related list where they keep his rights but don't have to pay him until the mess is cleaned up and he goes to jail or is free? Then they don't take a cap hit. Gotta give them a little credit for dumping him, and taking a cap hit for it before they even know he will be doing any jail time for this just to get him off the team and no longer be a distraction

I'm waiting for the NFL to step in and award the Pats with some type of rule change/clause that will allow them to not have to count his salary for cutting him against the cap due to the situation

Wondering what will feel worse...

A) Losing to the Pats when Brady was out for a year

or

B) Losing to the Pats when Brady loses 3 out of top 4 targets? Plus a possibly injured Gronk...

Huh?

seems you think that tebow is a good enough TE prospect, and those guys bad enough ones to merit a change.

Wondering what will feel worse...

A) Losing to the Pats when Brady was out for a year

or

B) Losing to the Pats when Brady loses 3 out of top 4 targets? Plus a possibly injured Gronk...

We can decide if and when it happens.

i have been since he was let go by us. Even more sine the Pats picked him up. He's gonna be a pro bowler coming soon.

I'll take that bet.

seems you think that tebow is a good enough TE prospect, and those guys bad enough ones to merit a change.

I don't think Tebow is a good enough TE prospect, but the Pats might be forced to play him there since they have a need at TE now and he's useless as a QB. I mean with Brady on the roster. ;)

But wouldn't it have been cheaper/easier to just put him on some kind of reserved non-football related list where they keep his rights but don't have to pay him until the mess is cleaned up and he goes to jail or is free? Then they don't take a cap hit. Gotta give them a little credit for dumping him, and taking a cap hit for it before they even know he will be doing any jail time for this just to get him off the team and no longer be a distraction

I'm waiting for the NFL to step in and award the Pats with some type of rule change/clause that will allow them to not have to count his salary for cutting him against the cap due to the situation

Given what happened to the Falcons and Vick's contract (they couldn't recover his signing bonus after he was convicted), I wouldn't be surprised if the Pats included a clause in AH's contract to recover funds from him if he were convicted of a felony. I'm not sure if the collective bargaining agreement would allow this but given AH's background and red flags before the draft, that's what I would do. If they can recover the bonus money, I wonder how or if this affects their cap utilization.