Family of evicted fan sue local government agencies

The implication is that since the area was searched without finding him, but the father was able to, that the father somehow found him outside the search area, took him to the stadium and dumped him over the fence, near the creek, without anyone seeing him do it. I can buy a lot of stuff, but not that. The autopsy report would show something to suggest that.

The lawyers seek them out. Whether by phone calls or advertisements. I heard stories of people not necessarily wanting to sue being goaded into it by lawyers.

I love the Cellino & Barnes one that I hear lately. The moments immediately after an accident are crucial. Call 888 blah blah

Yeah, call a lawyer from an ad right after an accident - not 911 or anything like that!

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I feel for the family but suing because he made bad choices is unwise. He was kicked out for disorderly conduct. His brother should have left with him. I would if it was my brother and I would be chewing my brother out the whole way home. Knowing the lay out of the stadium I have to ask why was he heading east? There is nothing behind the stadium. On a side note I stopped going to Bills games at night years ago because of the behavior of fans. Maybe they will curtail beer sales or tailgating prior to night games. Just a rational thought on the matter.

It is a shame that such a young man died, but it was as a result of his own poor judgement. Sorry, but take some personal responsibility. If he was at the gamr with family members as was stated, why did one of them not step up and take care of this young man. The death was very sad, the lawsuit just as sad.

How can he take personal responsibility at this point? He's dead.

If a family member dies some people are so upset about it and they want someone to blame. There's nothing evil here. It is just hard to deal with the death of your son at a young age. They are likely wrong to sue, but I don't get this talk about there being a special place in hell and other over-the-top words that I see in this thread.

How can he take personal responsibility at this point? He's dead.

If a family member dies some people are so upset about it and they want someone to blame. There's nothing evil here. It is just hard to deal with the death of your son at a young age. They are likely wrong to sue, but I don't get this talk about there being a special place in hell and other over-the-top words that I see in this thread.

The board gets a little crazy sometimes when they see something that may be perceived to possibly effect their right to drink (or smoke, or generally let loose) at games.

It looks like a junk lawsuit, but it could simply be the family filing the intent paperwork to extend the window in case something more comes out.

But it's fine for fellow citizens to pay millions of dollars to fund a garbage football franchise that the majority couldn't care less about.

Clearly you're never read any post of mine on that subject.

In my world the only financial connection the public should have with sports teams/facilities is collecting the payroll and property taxes.

The board gets a little crazy sometimes when they see something that may be perceived to possibly effect their right to drink (or smoke, or generally let loose) at games.

It looks like a junk lawsuit, but it could simply be the family filing the intent paperwork to extend the window in case something more comes out.

People also get a little worked up over damage amounts in complaints, or, in this case, in notice of claims, but that does not have much relation to what a party realistically expects to get.

Wait...what?

Police, medics, security, etc... are in place and have a responsibility of care. I wasnt saying they need to drive you home or anything but when you put on an event, and sell alcohol, there's a level of responsibility to provide a safe environment for your attendees

Police, medics, security, etc... are in place and have a responsibility of care. I wasnt saying they need to drive you home or anything but when you put on an event, and sell alcohol, there's a level of responsibility to provide a safe environment for your attendees

Except you did say "help you get home safe." Which is not true, they're responsible for your safety at the event, not after you leave it. So yes, you got it right the second time.

But again, we don't know whose alcohol he consumed, how much he consumed, and when he consumed it.

There's a scenario, however improbable that he didn't consume any beer sold at the stadium.

There's a more plausible scenario that the beer he consumed at the stadium was a very small percentage of the alcohol he consumed that day and that night.

Then there's the difference between an entity (LE for example) proactively assisting an individual as opposed to an individual voluntarily seeking care from an entity.

It's hard to imagine that the deceased was looking for help when he fell into the ravine/creek.

Edited by San Jose Bills Fan

Except you did say "help you get home safe." Which is not true, they're responsible for your safety at the event, not after you leave it. So yes, you got it right the second time.

It was a lazy post, my apologies. It was pointed at you making it through the event safely and ideally in condition to move on to your next life event (ie not grossly over served and if you are, tossing you in the tank if your a danger to yourself/society) - ie HELP make sure you get home in one piece, not ABSOLUTELY make sure you get home safe

Edited by NoSaint

But again, we don't know whose alcohol he consumed, how much he consumed, and when he consumed it.

There's a scenario, however improbable that he didn't consume any beer sold at the stadium.

There's a more plausible scenario that the beer he consumed at the stadium was a very small percentage of the alcohol he consumed that day and that night.

Then there's the difference between an entity (LE for example) proactively assisting an individual as opposed to an individual voluntarily seeking care from an entity.

It's hard to imagine that the deceased was looking for help when he fell into the ravine/creek.

I understand - was replying to specific posts about responsibility venues can have, not about the actions of this gentleman on this night. The venue has policies not to let wasted folks in, not to serve drunk people etc...

But with regards to this guy, we don't know many details at all

edit: My point being that all of these things have a bearing on personal responsibility.

If however the deceased was crawling around and stumbling, I would hope that some local authority would notice and come to his aid.

Same page, no worries. If this goes to court there's a laundry list of obvious questions the family will face, and I'm not sure answers exist that would put anyone else on the hook given what's already come out.

Edited by NoSaint

The Bills do provide a service to get people home....

http://www.buffalobi...adium/faqs.html

Q: Do you have a designated driver program?

A: Yes, the Buffalo Bills and partners Bud Light Good Sport, Delaware North Companies Sportservice, Pepsi, TEAM Coalition and MADD are proud to support the Designated Driver Program at Ralph Wilson Stadium. Guests can pledge to be a Bills and Bud Light Good Sport Designated Driver at any Guest Service Booth. Fans who sign-up to be a Good Sport will receive a wristband that identifies him/her as a designated driver and a coupon for a free non-alcoholic beverage. In addition, participants will be entered to win a special prize pack from Bud Light and the Bills as a thank you for pledging responsibility. The winner will be announced in the 4th quarter of each home game. Guests who pledge will also be registered for a chance to win a trip to either the Super Bowl or Pro Bowl, courtesy of TEAM Coalition. For more information click here.

Q: Are there alternative methods for getting home from the stadium?

A: The Buffalo Bills, in partnership with Designated Drivers of Buffalo, offer an alternative to driving in order to ensure that guests return home safely. Guests who are uncomfortable driving home have access to this unique service by calling (716) 713-7703. Arrangements can be made prior to a game or on game days. Two representatives from Designated Drivers of Buffalo will meet a guest and their party to drive them home in their own car. This allows guests to return home using a safe method in their own car. For more information, please visit www.designateddriversofbuffalo.com. In addition to Designated Drivers of Buffalo, taxi service is available to all fans that may need a responsible method of transportation. Taxi cabs are lined up postgame on the east side of Abbott Road near the Scoreboard Tailgate Party.

Now, whether someone chooses to take part in the programs is up to them. And yes, these programs has been in place the past couple of years.

Money can't bring back your child, but it can sure ease the pain. People are demanding honor in an honorless world... You gotta be joking. Did people/miss the memo that it is all about looking after one's self interest. Now, I don't agree... But I understand it is what it is. Why are people so angry about this? He was the opposing team's fan and most likely got the boot quicker than if he was a drunken Bills fan. Why is that so hard to fathom? He was most likely NOT treated the same as the home idiots. I seen people get tossed for doing nothing wrong except for wearing the wrong colors while being caught in the wrong place @ the wrong time. Sure, this kid was drunk... Did they say what he did to get tossed? BFLO is one one of the most hostile environments for visiting fans, especially Phins fans!

Anyway... In the original thread about this, wasn't there a poster that commented about a distraught Miami fan late that night, not too far from a where this kid was found. Maybe there is no connection, but there is more to this story... IMO.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

I might file suit against the local news for their irresponsible use of the word creek. Creeks are moving bodies of fresh water. What the young man drowned in was a ditch that collects urine, spilled beer, garbage and other parking lot run off. I don't know what you call that exactly, but its not a creek.

Money can't bring back your child, but it can sure ease the pain. People are demanding honor in an honorless world... You gotta be joking. Did people/miss the memo that it is all about looking after one's self interest. Now, I don't agree... But I understand it is what it is. Why are people so angry about this? He was the opposing team's fan and most likely got the boot quicker than if he was a drunken Bills fan. Why is that so hard to fathom? He was most likely NOT treated the same as the home idiots. I seen people get tossed for doing nothing wrong except for wearing the wrong colors while being caught in the wrong place @ the wrong time. Sure, this kid was drunk... Did they say what he did to get tossed? BFLO is one one of the most hostile environments for visiting fans, especially Phins fans!

Anyway... In the original thread about this, wasn't there a poster that commented about a distraught Miami fan late that night, not too far from a where this kid was found. Maybe there is no connection, but there is more to this story... IMO.

Just because money can ease the pain of losing a child, it doesn't mean you should file a frivolous lawsuit, or that a lawyer should take the case. But that's the problem with society: no personal accountability/responsibility. It's always someone else's fault/responsibility. :rolleyes:

Just because money can ease the pain of losing a child, it doesn't mean you should file a frivolous lawsuit, or that a lawyer should take the case. But that's the problem with society: no personal accountability/responsibility. It's always someone else's fault/responsibility. :rolleyes:

Money is the ONLY reason to file a frivolous lawsuit. And no lawyer can be expected to turn down a case he/she feels can win or settle for money.

Money is the ONLY reason to file a frivolous lawsuit. And no lawyer can be expected to turn down a case he/she feels can win or settle for money.

Based on my limited experience it was probably the lawyer that went to the family and not the other way around.

I might file suit against the local news for their irresponsible use of the word creek. Creeks are moving bodies of fresh water. What the young man drowned in was a ditch that collects urine, spilled beer, garbage and other parking lot run off. I don't know what you call that exactly, but its not a creek.

If the water is moving, it's a creek, rhyming with leak.

What the young man drowned in is a creek, rhyming with lick.

The only solution is a "loser pays" system.

The only solution is actually that the lawyers do not get paid a percentage of the settlement and get just a flat, reasonable, fee (and only if they win the case).

Edited by CodeMonkey

Yep. Totally agree. And making a money grab in the name of your dead son is sick. Especially when they will say it's not about the money. When you hear that it's not about the money, it's about the money.

The only solution is actually that the lawyers do not get paid a percentage of the settlement and get just a flat, reasonable, fee (and only if they win the case).

That isn't as big of a deterrent as making the loser pay. And that should include the lawyer.

This wouldn't work. It would limit access to some degree (lawyers won't want to front hundreds of billable hours just to get their usual and customary rate years later) and wouldn't address the problem as well as loser pays.

Loser pays will alter the behavior of the plaintiff's bar by forcing them to take cases with a significant chance of winning a jury verdict. Defendents (or their insurers) would be far less likely to settle before trial also. Their would be much less "fishing" by low level ambulance chaser types if they were on the hook when a silly case like this inevitably goes against them.

It would remove the frivolity.