EJ says this offense is easier than Florida State's ...

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Colts offense under Manning was very simple too with only a handful of plays. Executing it to perfection and great players are much more important...

That's a bit exaggerated. Dungy has repeatedly come out and said that he had to limit how many plays manning tried to add each week because manning would show up with a dozen or more new ones every Monday - while he only allowed a few new ones each week, to claim it was only a handful of plays total seems inaccurate from the interviews I've heard/read

Couple of thoughts here, for one if the playbook is really that simple I would hope that the simplicity is being compensated by having 5-6 options per play making it a lot more confuse. Secondly, was EJ even given the complete playbook yet? Thirdly I hope Hackett learned from his Saracuse start, because they completly failed offensive playbook wise for the first half of the season, it wasnt untill they changed it up half way through that they became succesfull.

Is it possible he was just referencing the terminology, and how to call different sets, rather than an indictment on how few plays the new offensive system has? Step back from the ledge people.

"Step back from the ledge people"???

I've read every comment and most people are very much ok with his comments.

These two threads are in no way similar - suggest you reconsider and delete.

This thread is specific to EJ's comments about the simplicity of the ofensee - IE it is more about Hackett and the offense that EJ as a player.

Had the OP taken the time to search, he would have discovered that the subject matter was already introduced and discussed 15 hours prior to the creation of this thread. So your suggestion is that I along with other interested parties in the subject matter delete our posts in lieu of the later thread?

That makes a lot of sense. This is the exact reason why we have the unnecessary clutter of multiple discussions of the same subject matter on TSW.

Wait, what? I guess you can read this in one of two ways but I'm not quite sure what this says about our new offense ...

http://profootballta...florida-states/

It seemed clear to me that at least part of the problem last year was the QB and WR not being on the same page in Gailey's offense and part of the cause of that problem was a very complex playbook (as per Pats and Giants) that requires the QB and WR to make the same reads at the LOS and adjust the same way. Each play had multiple variants. It works great when there's an experienced WR corps and they catch on and "click" with the QB. Not so well when they don't. Anyone who expressed this view last year got extra helpings of scorn, nonetheless....

A true WCO, on the other hand, is a very defined, scripted offense. It relies more on memorization and timing, and less on read-and-react.

Hard to tell what to make of EJ's comments. It could reflect hubris - what's easy in shorts and a red shirt, is significantly harder at game speed and with NFL linemen hurling atcha.

It could reflect PR - he's tactfully putting out in the press the implication that if he isn't getting snaps, it's not 'cuz he hasn't mastered the offense, whilst avoiding words that could be interpreted as calling out the coaches. Or it could reflect that the offense Marrone plans to run is too simple for the NFL and will crash and burn.

Wait and see.

I find this hard to believe considering EJ was only asked to read one side of the field on any given play at Florida St

Ive also heard / read many times the system there is pretty basic and tends to hold players back from their full potential

I think this is more EJ trying to convince people he wont have a problem picking up an NFL system since that was one of the concerns on him coming out

Wait, what? I guess you can read this in one of two ways but I'm not quite sure what this says about our new offense ...

While I like EJ's confidence, I doubt very much that the whole offense has been installed yet. As a variation of the K-gun, it will certainly feature a core set of plays that may seem simple now. But that doesn't mean there won't be more sophisticated variations added once they get to camp...

I find this hard to believe considering EJ was only asked to read one side of the field on any given play at Florida St

Ive also heard / read many times the system there is pretty basic and tends to hold players back from their full potential

I think this is more EJ trying to convince people he wont have a problem picking up an NFL system since that was one of the concerns on him coming out

I've heard this take around here several times and have yet to see an article or hear a sound bite from the actual parties involved that corroborates this. Do you have anything more than "hearsay" that backs this up?

Furthermore, why would EJ be worrying about convincing anyone besides the Bills' coaching staff of anything? He doesn't have to sell himself -- he was drafted in the first round.

Had the OP taken the time to search, he would have discovered that the subject matter was already introduced and discussed 15 hours prior to the creation of this thread. So your suggestion is that I along with other interested parties in the subject matter delete our posts in lieu of the later thread?

That makes a lot of sense. This is the exact reason why we have the unnecessary clutter of multiple discussions of the same subject matter on TSW.

There's room for disagreement in this matter. Your position has already been dismissed in this thread. Don't take umbrage when fellow Bills fans have a differing point of view. You seem a wee mite over protective of your self-anointed position as a first link responder. You should realize that a LOT of regular posters here do not like the glomming together of threads that are only tangentially related to each other.

Wasn't the K Gun based off of a half dozen plays or something? As others have mentioned, its a matter of execution by the players.

Exactly. For example, when the Steelers had Bettis on 3rd and 1, EVERYONE knew what was coming. No one could stop it. Everyone knows that the Pats will throw a ton of underneath passes for short yardage and go up the field, people have difficulty stopping that.

Plus, perhaps the overcomplexity of the FSU offense cost them to games. KISS=keep it simple stupid.

Bill Parcells would go over the game plan before Sunday and throw out all but about 20 of the offensive plays his QB liked to run the most.

The fact that no other QB seemed to have the ability to run Chan's complex offense but Fitz I think is exactly what got Gailey fired. Its my opinion that OC's need to keep it simple, and perhaps change formations / sets to confuse the opposing defense, but not your own players.

I also think that because the play book has been simplified it will be EJ's job to lose. Clearly Marrone / Hackett have simplified the offensive game plan for the rookie to have an easier time developing.

If the playbook is indeed simple (maybe EJ hasn't seen the whole offense yet) then it's probably because Marrone and Hacket want something simple enough that they can execute it to perfection.

The simpler the offense, the more likely you can execute it well. The more complicated the offense, the more you (theoretically) confuse defenses. Every coach finds his own balancing act. Lombardi, for one, was on the simple side of this continuum because he wanted flawless execution.

I don't think Marrone is dumbing down his system for the sake of a rookie QB. I think he may instead be philosophically against overly complicated offenses. But it's too soon to say.

Edited by hondo in seattle

This is the play book in May, lets see what it looks like in September or December.

It is very common to add plays through out the year. I would guess Hackett and Marrone simplified the play book for right now due to all three QB's being new to it.

Another point might be that EJ did not get the greatest coaching while at FSU. Maybe he is picking up the play book easier and quicker due to the teaching and coaching he is getting now?

I've heard this take around here several times and have yet to see an article or hear a sound bite from the actual parties involved that corroborates this. Do you have anything more than "hearsay" that backs this up?

Furthermore, why would EJ be worrying about convincing anyone besides the Bills' coaching staff of anything? He doesn't have to sell himself -- he was drafted in the first round.

to back what up? only reading one side of the field?

its been talked about many times and even EJ talked about it with Gruden in his QB camp

since when do players only care what their own team thinks?

Edited by Max997

to back what up? only reading one side of the field?

its been talked about many times and even EJ talked about it with Gruden in his QB camp

You made a very definitive statement about what EJ was "asked to do" in the FSU offense -- I've not seen anything that confirms this. You also said FSU's offense is very basic, which other posters have disputed. I don't know the answers myself, but it's helpful when these opinions are backed up with some actual, you know, facts.