Buddy Nix Steps Down as GM

Nothing changed. Since when are press conferences sworn to be the whole truth?

Exactly! Why should anyone take anyone at their word? Or make some fantastic leap of faith that what someone says should be a clue to their intentions? Live in the now people!

• Replies 389
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Glass Half Full - the roster improved under Buddy Nix.

Glass Half Empty - the roster improved for most of the other 31 teams in the NFL.

our win/loss record indicates we are spinning our wheels and not gaining on the other teams.

No surprise at all. Let's hope he went out on a good note.

Yawn.....

As per text Whaley takes over as GM and Nix as a special asst.

who cares... ? Yawn and yawn....s'more..... zzzzzzzzzzzz..... go win some games and fans over 30 will start paying attention again.. good to see another qualified minority candidate get a shot at an NFL GM job. Are there any other black GMs besides Ozzie Newsome in the NFL? oops just looked it up:

Martin Mayhew - Detroit Lions (ex- Bill )

Jerry Reese - New York Giants

Ozzie Newsome - Baltimore Ravens

Rick Smith - Houston Texans

Rod Graves-Arizona Cardinals

Reggie McKenzie-Oakland Raiders

Edited by 8and8Forever

Thank God and thus ends an era of bills GM incompetence. Lets hope Whaley knows what he is doing

You mean the guy who stuck up a pencil over his ears :-) It seemed that some of the folks around here felt that was not in good taste for the GM-in-waiting!

It was in the cards as soon as some of the reins were taken from Ralph. Latest draft was totally out of character -- taking QB high, trading around, etc. He came across sounding incompetent on the recorded call w/ Tampa GM. he liked to toot his own horn and act like some wheeler dealer, but there wasnt substance behind it. Bills did him a favor by letting him go out without saying he was fired

Wrong, wrong, and wrong.

Taking QB high -- Buddy has always said you need to find your franchise QB in the draft. If you listened to any of his numerous press conferences yesterday, he specifically said, "we won too many games to be picking high enough to get 'that guy'" -- obviously referencing QBs like Cam Newton, Andrew Luck, RGIII.

Trading around -- Buddy has always said he doesn't like to trade up because he hates losing picks. The opposite was done here.

Call w/ Tampa GM -- what sounded incompetent? Yes he was duped by the pranksters, but the content of the call was nothing to be embarrassed about.

Wheeler dealer? Who have you been listening to?

There is nothing about the way this process went down that suggests the Bills (Brandon) forced Buddy out. Buddy was on a gosh-darn media tour yesterday, and you don't think any bitterness would have come out if he felt he was pushed out the door? It was nothing but love and respect all over the place.

Some of my opinions on things I've read in this thread.

1) Chan's failing was not about his ego it was more about loyalty which is not really that much of a character flaw at all.

2) Buddy Nix' Legacy is yet to be defined. It hinges largely on EJ Manuel and how his picks perform in the Mike Pettine defense and less so on Doug Marrone. So its silly to dump crap on his tenure as the history is yet to be written.

this is why I hate Russ Brandon and have zero stock in anything he says as being the truth. That goes for this, how he wants to leave 'no stone unturned' to win games, the Toronto series being about "Regionalization", and that his objective is to keep the Bills here forever.

"There's a lot of speculation for whatever reason related to that," Bills President Russ Brandon said. "Buddy Nix is our general manager and will be for a long time."

As per text Whaley takes over as GM and Nix as a special asst.

My guess is it was a nice way to demote him. He should have been fired when Gailey was fired and everyone with a brain knows that, they were 1A and 1B, joined at the hip. He has been terrible as a GM. It cracks me up when he talks about this roster, especially the defensive front like we have the Steel Curtain here or something, they freaking sucked last year. This team won quite a bit less then they did under the previous regime. He failed to find a QB, or for the most part even tried to find one until this year and it was a big reach. The Shawn Merriman project he insisted on was one of the worst in franchise history. Vince Young, Thigpen, on and on, nice guy, but good riddance as a GM. Not too sure putting Whaley in there is going to be much better, after all hasn't he been there for Nix's whole tenure and had input on what moves were made? My guess Brandon knew Nix needed to go, but didn't want to fire him when he fired Gailey, he didn't want it to appear as if the team is a total mess (which is probably is) for ticket sales purposes, yet try to give him a special day to send him off like he did a good job while he was here. Joke.

Glass Half Full - the roster improved under Buddy Nix.

Glass Half Empty - the roster improved for most of the other 31 teams in the NFL.

our win/loss record indicates we are spinning our wheels and not gaining on the other teams.

Glass two thirds empty, this team lost 2 out of every 3 games under Nix regime. It really isn't much better then when he took over either, that is if Manuel turns out to be really good. If Manuel is a bust, Nix will turn out to be one of the worst GMs in franchise history. Edited by BuffBill

Pt 1 is absolutely ridiculous. Jauron was a bum without a job that nobody wanted. As for Chan, bud man said several high profile names reached out to him about the opening. He CHOSE Chan

Were you in a coma when Chan was hired? You don't remember Shanny turning us down? Cowher? Gruden? How about Shotty's kid who refused to even interview with the Bills, and he was just a coordinator? By the time we got to Chan we were scrapping the barrel.

PTR

this is why I hate Russ Brandon and have zero stock in anything he says as being the truth. That goes for this, how he wants to leave 'no stone unturned' to win games, the Toronto series being about "Regionalization", and that his objective is to keep the Bills here forever.

"There's a lot of speculation for whatever reason related to that," Bills President Russ Brandon said. "Buddy Nix is our general manager and will be for a long time."

Then you must hate 99% of the world if that bothers you.

What did you expect him to say?

"He is our GM...fow now"?

He probably said that out of respect for Buddy and left it up to him as to when he wanted to step down"

CBF

Were you in a coma when Chan was hired? You don't remember Shanny turning us down? Cowher? Gruden? How about Shotty's kid who refused to even interview with the Bills, and he was just a coordinator? By the time we got to Chan we were scrapping the barrel.

PTR

Then you must hate 99% of the world if that bothers you.

I think Harbaugh did also if I remember correctly.

Good luck in your next chapter Buddy. Thanks for your work here.

PTR

Yeah and under levy shannie never would have talked to us in the first because there was no meeting his price. Money wasn't the issue this time. Also are you calling good old bud man a liar for saying he passed over a number of high profile candidates who reached out to him to take Chan?

Yeah and under levy shannie never would have talked to us in the first because there was no meeting his price. Money wasn't the issue this time. Also are you calling good old bud man a liar for saying he passed over a number of high profile candidates who reached out to him to take Chan?

Wow. You must be trolling me because you can't possibly be that thick. What the f##k do you expect him to say? "We hired the only guy with a pulse who would talk to us"? If that makes Buddy a liar then he's a liar. Happy now?

Seriously, when your wife asks you if she looks fat, do you tell her the truth?

PTR

I find it odd that this transition to Doug Whaley was not announced immediately. Is there any chance that Russ wants to talk to Bill Polian just to see if there is any interest? Or could he have someone else that he wants to talk to before he hands the job over to Whaley?

Well, he could have said "Buddy is our GM" and left out the whole "for a long time" nonsense.

http://forums.twobil...80#entry2798223

there is a way to tell the truth while keeping details murky in order to protect information you want protected. Blatant noisy/extreme lying builds distrust. Pencil necked marketing suits are supposed to have that stuff mastered.

Another example is when he stole all of Pegula's rhetoric talking about only objective/goal is to win, no stone unturned, etc.... then turn around and sell home games to Toronto again despite public complaints from arguably the Bills' best player (who is approaching FA). We arent supposed to be able to see through these guys' BS.

I find it odd that this transition to Doug Whaley was not announced immediately. Is there any chance that Russ wants to talk to Bill Polian just to see if there is any interest? Or could he have someone else that he wants to talk to before he hands the job over to Whaley?

likely just to get 2 news cycles

Edited by May Day 10

If EJ turns into a good NFL QB and Marrone into a successful NFL HC, I'll remember Buddy fondly as the guy who turned this failing franchise around.

People can argue that this was more Whaley's draft than Nix's. Or that Whaley chose Marrone more so than Buddy. We may never know. But let's not forget Nix hired Whaley. If we blame Nix for the Gailey hiring - and we do - then we should credit him for the Whaley hiring if Whaley is indeed already transforming the Bills into a winner.

It's still too early the evaluate the Nix legacy but I'm more hopeful this off-season than I've been in years.

The oddest thing about this entire process is the 'transition' from Buddy to Whaley.

IF you believe Whaley is your GM then promote him to GM, why do you need a transition period? To me that does not sound good for Whaley. Over thinking on my part? Maybe. Can anyone tell me the last time they can remember a situation like this?