We should have taken Nassib in the 4th

That "only one good reason" is the best reason to do it. Look, EJ Manuel, despite the fervetn wishes of many here to pretend otherwise, has some not insignifcant question marks as a potential franchise QB.

Also, of the "many, many reasons" not to take Nassib (or another QB), the one (only?) most are mentioning here is the potential for "controversey". I think that's the last thing a HC should be worrying about--2 rookies having some sort of QB controversey. Who cares? Let the best man win, no??

my only answers to these issues would be this: if you have Mark Sanchez or someone similar in your roster, maybe a Kevin Kolb or Tarvaris Jackson, then you go ahead and have a QB battle. But with ANY very young, rookie, I just think you let them gain confidence on their own and run with it. Let them prove it to you that you don't have it. At the end of the day, if your unsure of either, and you are splitting practice and it playing time, then you don't have a real good read on either. I'm a bigger fan of throwing Manuel in there to start this year over Kolb and Jackson, and if by the end of the season, he doesn't like he's progressing, then draft another top guy next year. But give him the year.

The only thought in Nassib or any other QB and why we Didnt draft them, because maybe Marrone Didnt think any of them were any good. Or we're as good as Manuel.

Edited by mrags

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe he isn't, but he sure served Marrone pretty well in Syracuse. Maybe none of them are that good. The point is it wouldn't have cost much to find out who is better. It's an intersting poin the OP brings up. The only point those arguing agains him come back with is some problem with EJs psyche that he couldn't handel the presence of Nassib on the roster. Ej can't be that soft..

Soft? LOL! I guess that's one theory.

I still don't understand why drafting a 2nd QB, when you've already drafted one in the 1st round, is a good idea? Because the Skins did it (huge laugh there) and Cousins helped get a win against the Ravens and started and beat the Browns? I can't recall another team drafting 2 QB's in the same draft, much less when one was taken in the first round. Perhaps the Skins knew RGIII was soft...physically?

Draft Nassib ONLY IF he can also tackle the opposition Running Back who has just knifed through our front 7 for the umpteenth time.

We need a stout Defence comprising quality players as well as 4 QBs. That's why Duke was drafted.

Nah... They spent too much time, money and resources evaluating every QB. They made a call, had their pick of the litter and will either be accountable for EJs success or go down with him in flames. Russ, Nix, Marrone, and even Whaley all indicated one way or another he's the guy.

The bills have excelled at finding back up qb material for decades now, no need to waste a pick on another.

I still don't understand what has so many down on this kid....

Seriously watch all the videos of this kid in interviews and meetings on bills website and tell me he seems too dumb to progress through a few reads.... I just don't see it. He comes accross to be just as bright as any other QB... And exudes maturity to boot.

If he turns out not to be a top nfl qb, then it really is either total random chance or some secret formula the bills will never have.

Why would we waste the pick when, by the way the draft was unfolding, it was clear that there would be reasonable talent available as UDFAs. The Matt Scott and Tyler Bray drums were beaten pretty hard by some on this board, and they weren't even drafted. They have their PS project in Tuel. Pettine uses a bunch of safeties. Williams and Meeks can contribute at the same time if they pan out.

As several have also pointed out, taking the first overall QB and then a consolation prize in a class that is widely thought to be bereft of talent would only serve to take longer to move on from a mistake if one was made. They grabbed who they judged to have the best upside, and if they're wrong in a year or so they can move on.

I can see both sides to the argument of drafting two QBs, so I'm not going to comment on that. But can people please stop saying that because the Bills draft Manuel, that this somehow means they think Nassib isn't any good? The fact that they drafted Manuel just means he was the #1 QB on their board. For all we know, Nassib was a close second, and they would've been happy to have him. Or maybe he was much lower on their board; the point is that we don't know, so stop saying matter-of-factly that the Bills didn't like Nassib. Yes the Bill's staff should've known the most about Nassib compared to other teams, but this doesn't mean they didn't like him just because he wasn't the #1 on their board.

If I asked you to name your #1 favorite restaurant, does that mean that you DON'T like every other restaurant?

Edited by Tommy

I can see both sides to the argument of drafting two QBs, so I'm not going to comment on that. But can people please stop saying that because the Bills draft Manuel, that this somehow means they think Nassib isn't any good? The fact that they drafted Manuel just means he was the #1 QB on their board. For all we know, Nassib was a close second, and they would've been happy to have him. Or maybe he was much lower on their board; the point is that we don't know, so stop saying matter-of-factly that the Bills didn't like Nassib. Yes the Bill's staff should've known the most about Nassib compared to other teams, but this doesn't mean they didn't like him because they didn't pick him.

If I asked you to name your #1 favorite restaurant, does that mean that you DON'T like every other restaurant?

If taking a 2nd QB in a draft after taking one in the 1st were a common practice, I'd say that I could see doing it. So far I can only think of one team doing it, twice (the Skins last year and in 1994).

It's not a difficult concept. You can't give everyone reps and you can only evaluate so many players.

Seriously..it takes like 2 seconds of thought to understand it.

Why don't teams take QBs every year? duuuuuhhhh

Edited by jeremy2020

Your post went up today so you must know that the Bills did sign another QB, one they feel has more of an upside than Aaron Corp as a potential development project. So you got your two QBs in the draft, just not Nassib.

BTW, this doesn't apply to just you, but there is some serious undervaluing of Kevin Kolb in your thinking.

To me this has less to do with Nassib/Manuel comparison on the field as it does about Chemistry

- Marrone is personally tied to Nassib

- When the bills took EJ Manuel in the 1st they basically are saying "this is out guy"

So now Nassib is going to come into the team (and probably beat out Kolb and Traveris Jackson as the backup) and we arent going to have locker room problems if EJ struggles early.....which could very well happen he is a ROOKIE

No.....because Nassib is from Syracuse we needed to make a clean break here so Marrone could start grooming his new rookie QB to be "the man" on this team.......

Everything I am hearing about Duke is extremely positive and we may have gotten a real player there.....Pettine uses sets where he runs multiple safeties on the field so we need quality safeties

IMO, years from now it will be shown that the best QB from this draft is going to be R Nassib.

Its likely that Nassib will still be sitting on the bench a few years from now . I don't see Eli going anywhere anytime soon. So how is Nassib going to show that he is the best QB?

You would be the first to blast Nix if he took another QB in the 4th round.

Exactly. We can do no right. No one can do any right when it comes to the most negative poster on TSW. I actually find comedic humor in his posts nowadays. When I see that he makes a post, before I read it, I try and predict what negative nonsense he's going to spew. Sometimes it's nonsense. Sometimes it's not. But it's alway negative. Don't let him get under your skin. Just laugh. That's what I do.

IMO, years from now it will be shown that the best QB from this draft is going to be R Nassib.

How many years? He's playing behind Manning. Short of injury, when do you see Nassib taking the field?

edit: Prissy beat me to it.

Edited by nucci

I don't think this is at all like that with Brady (really, who was going to challenge him?) but point taken. Manuel doesn't strike me as a fragile guy but I think anyone would kind of wonder what's going on given TJax and Kolb were probably made some promises as well. Putting a fourth guy in the mix who really expects to make the team is not really too fair to anybody. I understand it's a ruthless business, but that kind of conduct comes back around and makes guys think twice about signing with you later on. Maybe if you're NE there's an exception, but generally, Buffalo is not NE and has to make a harder sell for FAs.

I think this is a very good point. I hope that the staff was upfront with Kolb and TJ that they intended to bring in additional legitimate competition (and I imagine they were, given how open they've been about needing to draft a QB) but throwing a fourth QB into the mix would seem very likely to leave them feeling treated unfairly.

my only answers to these issues would be this: if you have Mark Sanchez or someone similar in your roster, maybe a Kevin Kolb or Tarvaris Jackson, then you go ahead and have a QB battle. But with ANY very young, rookie, I just think you let them gain confidence on their own and run with it. Let them prove it to you that you don't have it. At the end of the day, if your unsure of either, and you are splitting practice and it playing time, then you don't have a real good read on either. I'm a bigger fan of throwing Manuel in there to start this year over Kolb and Jackson, and if by the end of the season, he doesn't like he's progressing, then draft another top guy next year. But give him the year.

The only thought in Nassib or any other QB and why we Didnt draft them, because maybe Marrone Didnt think any of them were any good. Or we're as good as Manuel.

The consensus is that although he may have the most talent, EJ is not as NFL ready as, say Barkley. Throwing him in there if he is this raw and then dumping him for another QB next year won't help him much.

Soft? LOL! I guess that's one theory.

I still don't understand why drafting a 2nd QB, when you've already drafted one in the 1st round, is a good idea? Because the Skins did it (huge laugh there) and Cousins helped get a win against the Ravens and started and beat the Browns? I can't recall another team drafting 2 QB's in the same draft, much less when one was taken in the first round. Perhaps the Skins knew RGIII was soft...physically?

Pretending to miss the point again. Anyway, it's an interesting idea and the only argument against it is that the Skins ("ha ha", or something) did it.

And if you step closer to the screen, you will see that what I am saying is that EJ can't be so soft that he would wilt in the face of a rookie QB competition. In other words, not soft.

If taking a 2nd QB in a draft after taking one in the 1st were a common practice, I'd say that I could see doing it. So far I can only think of one team doing it, twice (the Skins last year and in 1994).

I wasn't advocating taking a 2nd QB. My post was simply aimed at those in this thread who said things like "The Bills didn't take Nassib because they didn't like him/didn't think he could be a successful NFL QB."

The team that took him, has no need for a QB, won't in the near future. They most likely don't care if he is on the roster in 3 years. Nassib went right where his Pre-Marrone hire had him 4th round, possibly a quality back up