We should have taken Nassib in the 4th

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The impact of drafting Nassib would have been to completely undermine your 1st round pick before he ever steps on the practice field. The national media (and others here) would have absolutely panned the Bills for lacking conviction in the pick they made just two rounds earlier. I would envision hearing them say "if you think you needed to draft a qb two rounds behind Manuel, how can you then justify selecting Manuel with the 16th pick?"

Perfectly stated.

1) Duke is a better player than Nassib and we had a higher need at S than QB, 2) we just signed Kolb, 3) Marrone & his staff knows Nassib's strengths and weaknesses and does not think Nassib will be that good in the NFL, 3) EJ doesn't need the coach's former QB breathing down his neck.

In what is suspected as the worst year for QBs in the last 10, you want to take 2????? To call it stupid is to offend stupid.

In addition to all the other reasons listed, Why would you draft a second QB in a draft that is by all accounts a weak draft for QBs?

One thing to add here is that the Bills couldn't really afford to waste picks.

Nassib was drafted to be a backup. That tells you what you need to know right there. Plus talk about awkward, I'm glad they didn't pick Nassib in the fourth.

Neither you nor the OP understand the dynamics of a scenario that would have brought Nassib to the team with EJ3, Marrone, and Hackett also here.Would not have been a good situation for either QB's development.

Nightmare scenario full of distractions and controversy.

The answer to the OP's question is simple. The Bills didn't feel Nassib was better than Duke. What's hard to understand?

Look. We had several threads pre-draft talking about the idea of "doubling down" and drafting two QBs this year.

It worked out well for Washington last year. Good for them.

There are more reasons against the idea than for it.

The lone justification for doubling down is that QB's the most important position and you want to invest heavily enough to guarantee a return.

But it makes a lot more sense to give this year's rookie an unequivocal commitment and investment in time and energy.

If after one year the evaluation is that there's some doubt as to him succeeding, then draft another QB NEXT YEAR.

Why would we burn two picks on QBs in one draft when we can simply draft another QB next year (if need be)?

Competition at the QB position is a good thing and IF it was me I could personally care less how Manuel, Kolb or anyone else takes adding another signal caller because If they really are the best then they can prove it.

The main problem is Buddy Nix painted himself into a corner when he asked Travis Jackson to stay on because he gave Jackson the impression he would be given a fair shot at the starting job.

Another problem is the Buffalo Bills have holes to fill...

Someone needs to explain to me why we had safety Duke Williams rated as a better move for this organization than to take Nassib in the 4th round.

Um, because that was our board?

Because we see ourselves as having big needs at safety as well and 4th was as late as we were willing to take one?

Because there are only so many QB reps available, and we couldn't give Nassib enough to let him develop without robbing someone already on the roster?

All of the above?

You may disagree with the Bills decision, but it's really not very hard to understand

They should have used all their picks on QBs. The only way to be sure.

And in a QB poor draft with divided attention from the coaching staff, they could have done so and wound up with no one

I think we had far too many holes to fill to draft two QB's

I dont' disagree with picking EJ early, if thats who they wanted and did there research

scouting is never a sure fire thing, there have been plent of "for sure things" that didn't pan out like Ryan Leaf, Tim couch, Russel

and there have been many misses that have been HOF Material . We won't know if EJ was a bad pick for a few years.

Edited by BillsfanAlberta

Someone needs to explain to me why we had safety Duke Williams rated as a better move for this organization than to take Nassib in the 4th round. THE FOURTH ROUND !

Look what happened to the Seahawks last year, they took a QB in the third round (and got blasted for it by the Kipers of the world) even though they had their QB situation shored up. They open the competition in training camp and find that their third round draft pick Russel Wilson is quickly grasping the NFL game and it changes their entire team to a serious playoff contender.

Forget all the "well we coached him at SU so he's a good fit" crap, I don't care if he played for Kutztown State--in a time when all we talk about is getting a good quarterback for this team, here's a guy that was VERY highly rated by some experienced NFL men sitting there in the fourth freaking round and we decide to take a safety that won't even see the field this year.

The right call was to take Nassib, release Tarvaris Jackson, and go into training camp with Kolb, Manuel and Nassib. May the best man win.

This league is about maximizing your chances to get a franchise quarterback. It's that simple.

If you think I'm wrong, send me Duke Williams stats in three years and I'll admit it.

I sat and watched the Bills whole draft when they were on the clock just hoping we'd still pick him. My gut tells me he's going to be a really good qb, and there's nothing wrong with having as much talent at key positions as possible.

Someone needs to explain to me why we had safety Duke Williams rated as a better move for this organization than to take Nassib in the 4th round. THE FOURTH ROUND !

Look what happened to the Seahawks last year, they took a QB in the third round (and got blasted for it by the Kipers of the world) even though they had their QB situation shored up. They open the competition in training camp and find that their third round draft pick Russel Wilson is quickly grasping the NFL game and it changes their entire team to a serious playoff contender.

Forget all the "well we coached him at SU so he's a good fit" crap, I don't care if he played for Kutztown State--in a time when all we talk about is getting a good quarterback for this team, here's a guy that was VERY highly rated by some experienced NFL men sitting there in the fourth freaking round and we decide to take a safety that won't even see the field this year.

The right call was to take Nassib, release Tarvaris Jackson, and go into training camp with Kolb, Manuel and Nassib. May the best man win.

This league is about maximizing your chances to get a franchise quarterback. It's that simple.

If you think I'm wrong, send me Duke Williams stats in three years and I'll admit it.

People get so swept up in the media hype train, that they accept it as absolute truth. I can give you many reasons why we shouldn't have taken Nassib.

1) We drafted EJ in the 1st round. Obviously the Bills FO thought he was "the guy", not Nassib. It wouldn't be fair or productive to bring in Marrone's previous protege, and have a Tebow like media circuis praying for EJ to struggle. Not even close to being worth the distraction.

2) NEED. We signed two former 2nd round, former starters to be backups for us. We don't need another mediocre at best QB. How can you question the pick of Duke WIlliams in the 4th round? The Bills have a big hole at safety, and the Bills were lucky to have a shot to draft Williams there. He was one of the better rated Safeties. Plus Byrd is far from a lock to be here next year.

3) Most importantly (although purely opinion), Nassib isn't very good (Underthrowing machine, ala Fitz). He has ridden an unbelievable hype train into the draft, mainly because Marrone became an NFL coach. I thought Nassib deserved to be drafted in the 4th, but it's not like he was a steal there.

4) Next year. If EJ looks terrible (the only reason we would care about a 2nd QB in the draft), we could be staring at an early pick in a much better draft class next year. If we want to take another young QB, take one then (Like when SD took Manning/Rivers, despite having brees). *disclaimer - Yes, I know you shouldn't judge a QB in 1 year, this is just a hypothetical.

5) This was considered one of the worst QB drafts in a long time (ever?)...So this is the draft where we should load up on QB's?

Edited by Turbosrrgood

John Gruden is one the most overhyped frauds around IMO. WGAS what he thinks? There's a reason he's the head of the FFCA.

Love Gruden, Jaworski, Simms, Gannon and Theisman. These are men who have accomplished a great deal in football and not by accident. I consider their insights qualified and entertaining. Edited by JPS

Love Gruden, Jaworski, Simms, Gannon and Theisman. These are men who have accomplished a great deal in football and not by accident. I consider their insights qualified and entertaining.

I like Jaws the most on your list. Jaws is insightful while being humble enough to not act as if he invented the game of football.

Gruden is a pompous jerk who acts as if he invented the game of football. Not a fan as you can tell.The other guys I can take or leave.

To each his own. Great that you enjoy and respect them. No heartburn from me with your likes. :thumbsup:

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

Taking Nassib in the 4th is all hindsight. To really maximise their efforts, the Bills should have taken Nassib in the 2nd round. THE SECOND ROUND. Who's Robert Woods anyways, at the time their was no guarantee Nassib would last past the 2nd and all these analysts had him rated really high. I'm pissed, the 41st pick came up and the Bills didn't pick him. The right call was to take Nassib in the 2nd, it's all about getting your franchise QB and not risking it. Yea the Bills may have been laughed at but it shouldn't have stopped there. No, no, no. The Jets are bringing in 5 QBs to compete. Therefore with their 2nd second round pick, the Bills should have picked Barkley. The Redskins picked 2 QBs last year, well the Bills are going to one up them and pick 3. Barkley was rated high on many analysts boards. It should have been may the best man win.

Competition at the QB position is a good thing and IF it was me I could personally care less how Manuel, Kolb or anyone else takes adding another signal caller because If they really are the best then they can prove it.

The main problem is Buddy Nix painted himself into a corner when he asked Travis Jackson to stay on because he gave Jackson the impression he would be given a fair shot at the starting job.

Another problem is the Buffalo Bills have holes to fill...

For some reason, I doubt that Buddy planned his draft strategy around protecting his 3rd string QB's delicate sensibilities.

Edited by Turbosrrgood

The reason it worked for the Redskins is that RGIII was the clear starter and franchise guy, and Cousins was the clear red-headed stepchild and back-up with no delusions of grandeur about winning a training camp battle and becoming the starter. There was no competition or threat of one. That would not be the same here because Nassib would be going in with a clear advantage, Marrone wants to start his tenure with "everyone has a fair chance to start", and there would be fans and maybe even members of the organization wanting to give Nassib a shot earlier than he deserved if EJ didn't immediately perform well, which is very possible.

It also would make Marrone's and Hackett's job a little tougher.

I wasn't against this completely and think I posted as much here. But it came with the caveat that I would ONLY be in favor of it if Nassib was told he was the back-up from the start and he basically had no chance of being the starter, like Cousins was.

For some reason, I doubt that Buddy planned his draft strategy around protecting his 3rd string QB's delicate sensibilities.

I don't have the article itself right off hand but I doubt it was fabricated and a GM probably likes to stand behind his word.

So in my humble opinion that probably did play a part in why we didn't draft a 2nd QB.

As far as anyone thinking a QB competition regardless if its 2, 3 or 4 in the mix is not a good thing, I totally disagree.

If your good, prove it...

Perfectly stated.

Look. We had several threads pre-draft talking about the idea of "doubling down" and drafting two QBs this year.

It worked out well for Washington last year. Good for them.

There are more reasons against the idea than for it.

The lone justification for doubling down is that QB's the most important position and you want to invest heavily enough to guarantee a return.

But it makes a lot more sense to give this year's rookie an unequivocal commitment and investment in time and energy.

If after one year the evaluation is that there's some doubt as to him succeeding, then draft another QB NEXT YEAR.

Why would we burn two picks on QBs in one draft when we can simply draft another QB next year (if need be)?

> If after one year the evaluation is that there's some doubt as to him succeeding, then draft another QB NEXT YEAR.

I disagree. Suppose the Bills had drafted Barkley in the third. They could have told the media, "We had Barkley rated as a first round talent, and we were shocked when he fell to the third." Privately, Manuel could be told that the Bills think that if Barkley works out as expected, they would be able to trade him away for a lot more than the third round pick used to acquire him in the first place. "We don't necessarily think he has the arm to be the long-term answer in a windy place like Buffalo," Manuel would be told, "but he might be the long-term answer somewhere else."

Manuel would still be somewhat displeased by the Barkley selection even after all that had been said to him. Hopefully, that displeasure would drive him to push himself that much harder.

Drafting a QB a year from now would have the potential to be a lot more damaging to his confidence. The meta-message to him would be, "The Bills started off with complete confidence in him. After one year, they started having second thoughts." A meta-message like that is much more threatening than a meta-message of, "We availed ourselves of a Plan B back when we drafted you, but our confidence in you has increased since then."

As opposed to the experienced football mind who coached him for the last several years who obviously felt differently? You don't think that if the the Bills thought he was the best QB available that they wouldn't have jumped at the chance to get him, especially given his ties to the staff? Regardless of the obvious personal bond that Marrone has with Nassib, the fact that the team Marrone now coaches didn't draft him should speak volumes.

Regarding Gruden, has there been a QB that he's interacted with in his current media capacity that he hasn't raved about? He's wrong a ton. Just ask Blaine Gabbert.

I think that many here are making a lot more of the fact that Marrone didn't pick Nassib. It certainly doesn't mean that "maybe he isn't that good". Marrone probably agonized over no tpciking because he saw something more in EJ. If there is no EJ in this draft, I'm pretty sure that NAssib would have been the pick.

The reason it worked for the Redskins is that RGIII was the clear starter and franchise guy, and Cousins was the clear red-headed stepchild and back-up with no delusions of grandeur about winning a training camp battle and becoming the starter. There was no competition or threat of one. That would not be the same here because Nassib would be going in with a clear advantage, Marrone wants to start his tenure with "everyone has a fair chance to start", and there would be fans and maybe even members of the organization wanting to give Nassib a shot earlier than he deserved if EJ didn't immediately perform well, which is very possible.

It also would make Marrone's and Hackett's job a little tougher.

I wasn't against this completely and think I posted as much here. But it came with the caveat that I would ONLY be in favor of it if Nassib was told he was the back-up from the start and he basically had no chance of being the starter, like Cousins was.

Marrone couldn't say that to Nassib because there is no clear cut difference between EJ and Nassib at this point like there was with RG and Cousins.

I think that many here are making a lot more of the fact that Marrone didn't pick Nassib. It certainly doesn't mean that "maybe he isn't that good". Marrone probably agonized over no tpciking because he saw something more in EJ. If there is no EJ in this draft, I'm pretty sure that NAssib would have been the pick.

Marrone couldn't say that to Nassib because there is no clear cut difference between EJ and Nassib at this point like there was with RG and Cousins.

There is a huge difference between Manuel and Nassib. Manuel compares to RGIII like Nassib compares to Cousins. And if Manuel wasn't in the draft, I'd bet they'd have gone with Barkley.