We should have taken Nassib in the 4th

Someone needs to explain to me why we had safety Duke Williams rated as a better move for this organization than to take Nassib in the 4th round. THE FOURTH ROUND !

Look what happened to the Seahawks last year, they took a QB in the third round (and got blasted for it by the Kipers of the world) even though they had their QB situation shored up. They open the competition in training camp and find that their third round draft pick Russel Wilson is quickly grasping the NFL game and it changes their entire team to a serious playoff contender.

Forget all the "well we coached him at SU so he's a good fit" crap, I don't care if he played for Kutztown State--in a time when all we talk about is getting a good quarterback for this team, here's a guy that was VERY highly rated by some experienced NFL men sitting there in the fourth freaking round and we decide to take a safety that won't even see the field this year.

The right call was to take Nassib, release Tarvaris Jackson, and go into training camp with Kolb, Manuel and Nassib. May the best man win.

This league is about maximizing your chances to get a franchise quarterback. It's that simple.

If you think I'm wrong, send me Duke Williams stats in three years and I'll admit it.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Can we send you Nassib's stats(That probably won't exist) as well? BTW, you don't do that to EJ Manuel. You don't draft the coach and OC's former college QB. They know Nassib better than anybody in the world and didn't think he was the right fit here. That would simply make the entire situation very, very uncomfortable. Horrid idea. Draft a different QB, not Nassib.

Can we send you Nassib's stats(That probably won't exist) as well? BTW, you don't do that to EJ Manuel. You don't draft the coach and OC's former college QB. They know Nassib better than anybody in the world and didn't think he was the right fit here. That would simply make the entire situation very, very uncomfortable. Horrid idea. Draft a different QB, not Nassib.

Was going to make this point, but you made it perfectly so I'll just say: +1

Someone needs to explain to me why we had safety Duke Williams rated as a better move for this organization than to take Nassib in the 4th round. THE FOURTH ROUND !

Look what happened to the Seahawks last year, they took a QB in the third round (and got blasted for it by the Kipers of the world) even though they had their QB situation shored up. They open the competition in training camp and find that their third round draft pick Russel Wilson is quickly grasping the NFL game and it changes their entire team to a serious playoff contender.

Forget all the "well we coached him at SU so he's a good fit" crap, I don't care if he played for Kutztown State--in a time when all we talk about is getting a good quarterback for this team, here's a guy that was VERY highly rated by some experienced NFL men sitting there in the fourth freaking round and we decide to take a safety that won't even see the field this year.

The right call was to take Nassib, release Tarvaris Jackson, and go into training camp with Kolb, Manuel and Nassib. May the best man win.

This league is about maximizing your chances to get a franchise quarterback. It's that simple.

If you think I'm wrong, send me Duke Williams stats in three years and I'll admit it.

With EJ3 already on board, getting Nassib would have been horrible because of the controversy that would have been created.

Simply was beyond the realm of possibility given the circumstances of the Marrone/Hackett previous relationship with him at 'Cuse.

Horrendous idea!!!

Good thinking. I personally preferred Barkley to Nassib; and I think the Bills would have been better served using their third round pick on Barkley than on a WR who didn't even start for his own college team. But Nassib was my second-favorite QB in the draft, and I wouldn't have complained if the Bills had used their fourth round pick on him.

Whether the Bills chose Barkley or Nassib, I agree that the right thing to do would have been to release Travaris Jackson. Barkley has often been described as "polished" and "NFL-ready," so the Bills could start the season with Barkley as a credible backup behind Kolb. The hope would be that in time, one or both of the Bills' rookie QBs would surpass Kolb; moving him down the depth chart.

Sounds like there was some serious talk in the war room about drafting an another QB later in the rounds. Time will tell.

Remember that RG III / Kirk Cousins starting job battle last year? Yeah me neither. You take a QB in the 2nd/3rd round, and another in the 5th, sure, let em' compete. You don't draft a guy 16th and have him compete with the coaches former college QB who was taken in the fourth round. Just an absurd idea.

another +1 here.

If you take Nassib, it immediately begins a Flutie/Johnson like QB controversy. The first interception and you'll have fans and media jumping all over the organization.

I won't bring up the "they got their guy" argument. But I will bring up the fact that we Didnt get the guy we knew about, and knew wouldn't be able to take this team as far or farther than what we already have in the roster.

And honestly, it just makes you look like a HUGE Nassib homer. Which is fine, but its making you look pissed that we picked up a QB that you Didnt agree with.

Edited by mrags

I was going to, but it looks like lots of people have explained it to you quite well already. Bad idea. Period.

If Ej is that good, he won't be harmed by competition from a 4th round QB. And what if Nassib is actually a better pro QB? Who gives a sh**t about "uncomfortable"?? Why not Barkley then? These two were available for free, essentially.

Didn't someone in the FO say something at one point about bringing in more than 1 QB in the draft?

another +1 here.

If you take Nassib, it immediately begins a Flutie/Johnson like QB controversy. The first interception and you'll have fans and media jumping all over the organization.

I won't bring up the "they got their guy" argument. But I will bring up the fact that we Didnt get the guy we knew about, and knew wouldn't be able to take this team as far or farther than what we already have in the roster.

And honestly, it just makes you look like a HUGE Nassib homer. Which is fine, but its making you look pissed that we picked up a QB that you Didnt agree with.

The coaching staff cannot know what Nassib would do with this roster.

If that's the case, why didn't we pick 4 QBs ? Would that increase your chances of getting a franchise QB? I think the Bills were happy with the QBs on the roster and were looking to improve the D. That's why Williams was picked. You also want to compare Williams stats to Nassib's? How would you do that, plus do you think Nassib will even see the field for the Giants in the next 2-3 years?

If Ej is that good, he won't be harmed by competition from a 4th round QB. And what if Nassib is actually a better pro QB? Who gives a sh**t about "uncomfortable"?? Why not Barkley then? These two were available for free, essentially.

Didn't someone in the FO say something at one point about bringing in more than 1 QB in the draft?

The coaching staff cannot know what Nassib would do with this roster.

i don't, nor does anyone else know how EJ would be effected by a move like this. Your guess is as good as mine. Honestly, I like the idea of a 2nd QB in the draft, similar to the Akins last year but I also don't like the controversy. Because Nassib was Marrones QB at Syracuse, the first incomplete pass and people would be making a huge deal of it. No thank you to the circus.

As far as Nassib is concerned, or possibly another QB. Maybe they Didnt like any other QBs available once the 4th round pick got to them. Maybe they only though Geno or Glennon were possible starters in this league.

And regarding Nassib alone, maybe Marrone (who has much more knowledge of him than probably anyone else on this planet) already knows that he's not what we want for a QB. Or knows that he isn't very good.

There's only 1 good reason to draft another guy. For security, mininizing our possibility that we took the wrong guy.

There's many, many reasons why we Didnt.

We have three starting caliber QBs on the roster (not saying they are great, but at least they are qualified to start in the NFL). We had ONE starting caliber Safety on the roster, and he doesn't look to be sticking around.

I'm glad we drafted two safeties.

lol by the OP's logic just draft 3 QB's a year and let em' all go at it, NY Jets style. dumb. And um, i'm pretty sure Marrone and Hackett have a pretty good idea what Nassib can do with this roster. My proof? They didn't want him. Like i said if you want to add another young QB late that's fine, but taking nassib creates a dynamic that we just don't need.

They obviously think Manuel has the upside to be a Franchise QB... why would you draft another rookie that will take important Reps away from him...

I don't care what mocks say... NFL teams didn't think highly of Barkley/Nassib based on where they were drafted. It's likely that the Bills didn't think much of them either. Any of those teams at the top of round 2 could have picked Manuel as they had interest before the draft.

Nassib was OK at Cuse... he got so much hype because his coach and O coordinator were hired on to coach a team that had no QB... I've said this before if these guys are still coaching NCAA, Nassib would have been "mocked" exactly where he was picked (4th rd).

IMO, the people that feel we should've drafted a QB over Williams, have no clue who duke Williams is and how good he is. I believe we got out starting SS (with the ability to guard WRs) for the next several years. He's fast, violent and intense. Brings some nastiness to our D. If we were talking about drafting a QB over Meeks....well, that's a different story. Duke Williams is a beast and you'll soon love the fact that we chose him over a QB controversy.