Draft Grades

Acantha

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Means absolutely nothing. FWIW, I like Kiper as he was the first of the "draft gurus" that I followed and I bought his book for many years. I just don't think he (or even the NFL teams) know everything. For instance, he certainly hasn't met with many of the players or talked with their college coaches to get the "deep scoop". He does have asccess to many of their game tapes - and I believe that he does study those, but that does not necessarily mean that his evaluations are definitive.

Not surprising.

Chances are, Kiper is correct, just because we have a poor history of drafts with this FO. BUT, Kiper is also a blowhard who is wrong way more often than he is right, so hopefully this ends up in the BS category. :D

Some guy on NFL.com said the best pick in round 1 was....Vaccaro! A DB from......Texas!

What a joke.

Anyway, prior to that pick, the Saints had picked defense every 1st round for 5 years, and their D still sort of blows.

He likes Alonso, but decries that Arthur Brown was still on the board at the time Alonso was picked. Kiper having Arthur Brown rated higher is one thing, but not taking into consideration that Brown likely doesn't fit Pettine's defense whereas Alonso appears to be engineered in a lab to fit it is why these grades mean little. It's interesting and it adds to the fun of the overall draft experience, but these guys don't really know which players are fits, so it borders on extreme chutzpah when they get all huffy on camera determining "winners" and "losers".

They made Kiper look bad by taking Manuel higher than he projected. He under estimated how in demand Manuel was and it made him look bad. These grades have nothing to do with how good or bad the players are but rather just how well teams drafted according to Kipers board. But Kipers board is only one mans projections which based off how high he had a lot of players who fell a lot farther than he thought means he is prone to mistakes.

That being said I like Kiper but he has to be taken with a grain of salt. McShay I just hate I don't consider his opinion to be worth anything.

Edited by billsfan89

He lost a lot of credibility - especially analysing that position - when he chatted up klausen a few years ago. When he fell to rd2 Mel was speechless. Now that he rides the pine behind newton Mel is like "jimmy who?" At least mcshay for all his faults, correctly called the ascension of tannehill up the board last year.