Draft Grades

Acantha

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Naa, hitting 4 out of 5 targets they did better then a C-.

CBSSports.com gave them a B

Even if EJ doesn't start, (and 1st round QB's usually do start). I like the WR Robert Woods as an instant impact starter, and so is LBer Kiko Alonso if he can stay out of trouble.

Woods should help that offense right away with sure hands, good route runner and 4.36 speed.

Woods 40 time is 4.51 ( that 4.36 time was for the "short shuttle").

here we get a B-

http://nfl.si.com/2013/04/28/2013-nfl-draft-grades-jaguars-49ers-rams-top-the-class/?eref=sihp

He likes Alonso, but decries that Arthur Brown was still on the board at the time Alonso was picked. Kiper having Arthur Brown rated higher is one thing, but not taking into consideration that Brown likely doesn't fit Pettine's defense whereas Alonso appears to be engineered in a lab to fit it is why these grades mean little. It's interesting and it adds to the fun of the overall draft experience, but these guys don't really know which players are fits, so it borders on extreme chutzpah when they get all huffy on camera determining "winners" and "losers".

we reached for some crazies, I'll admit, but hey why not? they are super talented, played and partied hard in college and we got them 2 rounds later than they should have gone. lets see how it turns out

Chris Burke of SI.com grade: http://nfl.si.com/2013/04/28/2013-nfl-draft-grades-jaguars-49ers-rams-top-the-class/

Buffalo Bills

The best move of Buffalo’s entire weekend might turn out to be signing undrafted WR Da’Rick Rogers. That’s a low-risk gamble, one that pairs well with the selections of WR Robert Woods, LB Kiko Alonso and S Duke Williams. It’s also the opposite of using pick 16 on QB EJ Manuel. The Bills’ 2013 draft hinges on Manuel being able to shine. Grade: B-minus

I tried to search for this, but didn't see it. Bills get an overall C-, lowest of all 32 teams.

Insider article:

http://insider.espn....-nfl-team-draft

You mean the same Mel Kiper that correctly picked 1 out of 32 picks in the first round? Him and McShay (also 1 for 32) really know their stuff.

I know this is a Kiper bash and I'm all for that, but I didn't watch ESPN. I watched the NFL Network and when the Bills took Alonso Mayock says " good pick position of need, after all Nick Barnett is 32 years old". Okay, just let that sink in.

Yeah, these guys are the experts.

Sweet, we must have done well then. If the hair really knew anything, he'd be elsewhere.

Where else would he be? He'd have to take a huge cut in pay to take a position with a team.

Only in America can a blowhard like him rake it in like he does.

GO BILLS!!!

Angering Mel is an unqualified success. You have to remember, Mel grades for where teams took players at or below where he grades them, (at current). Out of curiosity - has anyone gone back three years to see where he graded a team poorly, but was wrong? Don't necessarily focus on the BIll's, (we have admittedly screwed the pooch), but someone like Seattle last year who "reached" for the OLB from WVA or the Raiders who took Mel's "sure thing" Rolando McClain. I would bet, he is wrong as much as he is right....

PS) Since we get so caught up in Mel's world, (look...as his hair, I am entitled...). Anyway - delicious quotes from the master; (1) He is another combo type who is explosive our of the blocks and relentless in his pursuit of the quarterback who should go in the top ten. (2) Definitely one of the top five-to-eight players available in the draft, and getting him at 8 would be a steal. Any guesses on these Mel pearls??? (1) Aaron Maybin and (2) Mark Sanchez.

Edited by Kipers Hair

The thing about Kiper and any of these overall draft boards is they are devoid of context.

A guy might be the "Best DE available" but he plays a 3-4 and all the teams with needs play 4-3. A guy might be the "best QB available" while never having run a pro-style offense. A guy might be the "best WR available" (Da'Rick Rogers, anyone?) but have major character or injury red flags. We've seen plenty of "talented" players go to seed in the wrong scheme or wrong coaching situation, and plenty of overachievers in places like NE or Baltimore.

So, the problem is not Kiper or McShay exactly, though both are kind of idiots at most things besides drawing attention (and therefore ratings). The problem really lies with the whole premise of draft ratings and draft prognostication being equivalent sciences, if they're sciences at all.

McShay blasted the pick of EJ at 16, saying he talked to NFL guys he trusts at "6 or 7 teams" who didn't have him higher than 2nd or 3rd round and some as low as 5th or 6th rd (joke). Considering there are 32 teams in the NFL, this is not a good enough sample size to say EJ would not have gotten picked before the Bills could take him in the 2nd. Word is the Eagles wanted him and loking at Chip's offense he was likely drooling over him. GM of the Eagles even said on Mike and Mike today that while Barkely doesn't necessarily fit their offense, he was too much of a value to pass in the 4th. Barkley wasn't their guy but their guy was gone. McShay has blown it on several QBs he has analyzed in previous years. He did laud them for their Dustin Hopkins pick, saying it was ther best late round pick of the draft. See ya Lindell. FWIW, I would trust Polian well over McShay when it comes to drafting and building a team and he said 16 was about where he saw a QB going in this draft and you take the guy who best fits what you want to do and who you think has the talent, brains and heart to win and lead your team. In this draft, EJ is that over all the others. Geno's attitude is a total turnoff - he is Cam with less talent. I think EJ is the physical of Cam, brains of RG3, work ethic of Russell Wilson.