Draft Grades

Acantha

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If he's grading the same way he did in the past, his grades are based on how close teams are to picking his picks at or around the values he placed on them.

The draft gurus--like Kiper--shouldn't be allowed to grade drafts. Their grades are just going to be a reflection of their mocks.

^^^^^THIS^^^^^^

I heard him on ESPN radio late last night saying the Bills did really questionable things in the draft. First: They took EJ instead of Nassib. They could have had him in the 4th round, he declares. Second, they could have taken Brown from Kansas when they took Alonso, and he had Brown rated higher.

I started laughing! The Bills screwed up because they didn't follow HIS grading. This is a guy who rates players without ever having coached or managed a football team in his life. It's funny, but I would think that the fact that Gino wasn't taken by ANYONE til the third round and that Nassib and Barkley weren't taken til the fourth should tell him something about how the rest of the teams had them rated. To assume that any of those guys were a better value than EJ, especially in light of that should tell him something!

His "grade" totally ignores the fact that just maybe, other teams may have also recognized the upside in EJ as well, and saw him as a guy that could be coached up to much greater heights than Gino, Nassib or Barkley would ever reach. Only time will tell if the Bills were right, but they had not been able to get the guy they really wanted before in Cam Newton, and here was a chance to grab a guy who is very much like him in many ways accept in what he achieved with his team.

I'd rather they swung for the fence on the guy believed had the biggest upside, then settle for a guy that may have been more polished coming out of college but had a limited ceiling.

The irony is, had they drafted Nassib at 16, Kiper would have probably given them an A, notwithstanding that he and the others slipped to the second and third day!

Edited by BuffaloBob

If he's grading the same way he did in the past, his grades are based on how close teams are to picking his picks at or around the values he placed on them.

The draft gurus--like Kiper--shouldn't be allowed to grade drafts. Their grades are just going to be a reflection of their mocks.

in detail, his grades for the bills were B- for need and D for value. So it really was based on value. He liked the WR picks, but said manuel was taken too high, The Alonso pick was ok, but Arthur Brown should have been taken instead. And he said the back to back safety picks were "odd." He said the hit on needs, and his only big problem was they made a huge reach at QB, and he was the 6th rated QB on HIS board.

They made Kiper look bad by taking Manuel higher than he projected. He under estimated how in demand Manuel was and it made him look bad. These grades have nothing to do with how good or bad the players are but rather just how well teams drafted according to Kipers board. But Kipers board is only one mans projections which based off how high he had a lot of players who fell a lot farther than he thought means he is prone to mistakes.

That being said I like Kiper but he has to be taken with a grain of salt. McShay I just hate I don't consider his opinion to be worth anything.

And this ^^^^^^^

Means absolutely nothing. FWIW, I like Kiper as he was the first of the "draft gurus" that I followed and I bought his book for many years. I just don't think he (or even the NFL teams) know everything. For instance, he certainly hasn't met with many of the players or talked with their college coaches to get the "deep scoop". He does have asccess to many of their game tapes - and I believe that he does study those, but that does not necessarily mean that his evaluations are definitive.

Isn't he the one that was prognosticating that Jimmy Clausen was the best QB in the 2010 draft (4th best player in the draft, and ahead of Heisman winner Bradford)? And likewise tabbed Blaine Gabbert as the "breakout rookie" of the 2nd half in 2011?

The Bills draft was kinda...different. But they got the players they wanted, so we'll see

McShay was spitting mad that the Bills drafted Manuel so high. He and Mel, the resident draft experts for ESPN, got their panties in a bunch because 2 of their top 3 QBs were not taken where they projected them. Barkley and Nassib were selected in the 4th round. SO I have to ask these 2 lunkheads...are they correct or the ENTIRE NFL in the assessment and the round they drafted both of these QBs? Hard for them to be humble with such inflated egos.

I know I shouldn't be too hopeful given the Bills track record over the past 15 years or so, but I have this gut feel that after doing an exhaustive search on this QB class, the Bills identified the guy with the most upside and for the first time in a long time, if they handle him right in his development, they finally got it right with EJ and those two "draft experts" are going to be eating crow big time!

I would like to know what McShay and Mel Kiper are so upset about......

The bills right now are exactly where the these pundits and the rest of the NFL want them.......at the bottom of the NFL barrel....the only way to climb out of there is to start getting aggressive and take some chances......

I really don't consider EJ Manuel that much of a "chance" because you overdraft QB's if you need one.....until you hit on one....and the bills have finally started doing that.....I am more talking about Kiko and Duke

I personally think EJ Manuel is going to be a very good quarterback.....and in 2 years nobody is even gonna remember what round he was drafted.

He and Mel, the resident draft experts for ESPN, got their panties in a bunch because 2 of their top 3 QBs were not taken where they projected them. Barkley and Nassib were selected in the 4th round. SO I have to ask these 2 lunkheads...are they correct or the ENTIRE NFL in the assessment and the round they drafted both of these QBs?

You have nailed it, sir.

My new motto, "Put a Diaper on Kiper." This guy is so full of sh*t. He's lucky anyone pays him anything to make dumb ass assessments based off the five minutes of game tape he watches on a handful of prospects. We will prove him wrong again and he'll spout some of his "insider bs." The boy is a buffoon. Diaper him up and let him go.

McShay was spitting mad that the Bills drafted Manuel so high. He and Mel, the resident draft experts for ESPN, got their panties in a bunch because 2 of their top 3 QBs were not taken where they projected them. Barkley and Nassib were selected in the 4th round. SO I have to ask these 2 lunkheads...are they correct or the ENTIRE NFL in the assessment and the round they drafted both of these QBs? Hard for them to be humble with such inflated egos.

I would like to know what McShay and Mel Kiper are so upset about......

They were mad because Adam Shefter called the EJ Manuel pick before it was made and in contrast, they came off looking like fools.

I tried to search for this, but didn't see it. Bills get an overall C-, lowest of all 32 teams.

Insider article:

http://insider.espn....-nfl-team-draft

The thing about most of these " draft guru's" and their grades is that these guys base the prospects abilities by some perceived generic model. Not, what the team and/or coaching staff has planned for each position (they're not privy to this info...) and the required traits & abilities, case in point Seattle's last year draft grades by these "guru's" were graded low and look how that turned out...Now this year when the Seahawks picked a player not highly publicized its considered shrewd & intelligent :doh: ... Its for entertainment purposes only these guys are laughable. A better gauge of the draft is usually after a few years but if instant gratification is really your desire, at least let the season play out before they start calling players a "reach". Just a thought...btw I think the Bills got the BPA at QB and had a solid draft (initial opinion). Now let's see how the coaches plan on using their talent & abilities.

Means absolutely nothing. FWIW, I like Kiper as he was the first of the "draft gurus" that I followed and I bought his book for many years. I just don't think he (or even the NFL teams) know everything. For instance, he certainly hasn't met with many of the players or talked with their college coaches to get the "deep scoop". He does have asccess to many of their game tapes - and I believe that he does study those, but that does not necessarily mean that his evaluations are definitive.

I actually respect Kiper but I agree with Old Timer.

I haven't heard Kipe admit this yet, but other draftniks say they only study 3-5 games of each player. They just don't have the time and resources to attend hundreds of games, look at every game tape, talk to every coach, interview the top players, etc.

There's just no way one freelancer like Kiper will be able to study all the players as thoroughly as the entire Bills scouting department.

Even former pro personnel guys like Brandt just don't have access to the same volume of information that they used to have when they were in the game. None of the draft grades mean anything.

If the Pats had drafted Brady in the first round, Kiper and McShay would have called it a reach and graded them a "F." If Manuel ends up being a good NFL QB, and a couple other plays pan out, this will be a great draft.

He's got a lot of nerve rating anyone so let's grade him. There's a list of Kiper's best available players shown on the screen during the draft, yet hours go by and the list doesn't change. I grade him an F.

Secondly if we got the worst grade at C- and we all know some teams will end up with a D or F he's way off there too. Ok he's just doing his ratings are not only often wrong but there worthless, these young men that were drafted will show the grades on the field.