Bills sign LB Marcus Dowtin

Per Buffalo Rumblings

http://http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2013/4/12/4218242/nfl-free-agents-2013-marcus-dowtin-signed-by-buffalo-bills

I think I speak for most of us in joining the chorus of "Who?", but I think it does give maybe a little insight about how we feel about where we are are LB.

Dean Kindig@TCBILLS_Astro2m

Pettine WILB Dowtin inked http://sbn.to/17vYVnl -Was a logjam of ILBs RD1-17 to 32. If #Bills trade down now, it's not for ILB #DraftTek

I tweeted this because it means no Ogletree, Minter, Te'O and other ILBs when we trade down.

Says the agent of the guy we signed.

Granted, I'm likely thinking the same thing, but the man played 3 games last season for the Jets and is the Will (weak side, coverage) LB. It could be a sign that the Bills didn't want to use a pick in later rounds for depth.

Of course, I don't think we're taking Ogletree at all. Ogletree is an OLB. Between the Lawson acquisition, and the move to 3-4 likely putting Mario as the JLB our greatest weakness is inside.

Dean Kindig@TCBILLS_Astro2m

Pettine WILB Dowtin inked http://sbn.to/17vYVnl -Was a logjam of ILBs RD1-17 to 32. If #Bills trade down now, it's not for ILB #DraftTek

I tweeted this because it means no Ogletree, Minter, Te'O and other ILBs when we trade down.

It's stuff like this that makes me uncomfortable with draftek. We just signed an undrafted guy with a year in the league that was released off a practice squad and you are discussing how it effects our first round pick. It's a bit like taking qb off the board because we signed corp.

It's stuff like this that makes me uncomfortable with draftek. We just signed an undrafted guy with a year in the league that was released off a practice squad and you are discussing how it effects our first round pick. It's a bit like taking qb off the board because we signed corp.

Well stated. My first reaction on seeing his stats was tjat he is a depth signing that may affect our later rounds but not 1-3.

Dowtin is a bit smallish but these are OUTSTANDING measurables:

An excellent athlete, the 6'2", 230-pound Dowtin recorded a 4.56-second 40-yard dash, a 38-inch vertical jump and a 10'2" broad jump at his pro day workout last spring. He finished his rookie season as a member of Philadelphia's practice squad, and was only released yesterday; clearly, Pettine wanted this kid in town.

He's the same size as Jonathan Vilma but Dowtin has better measurables. Vilma at the combine:

Combine

• 4.65 40 Yard Dash
  • 37 Inch Vertical
  • 23 Bench Reps
  • 6.67 Three-Cone Drill
  • 4.20 Short Shuttle
  • 10-foot-1 Broad Jump

Pretty much. Young/known depth with potential upside.

First Read:

1) Who?

2) Who?!?

3) Why?!!

4) How much?!?

5) (After looking him up, and reading info on him) - Camp Fodder? Special teams? Depth guy?

6) This likely does not change the draft much, except we may only draft 1 LB early.

7) Wait, really? We have Pettine here and the only guy he brings in from his time with the Jets is guy?!

8) I really have to imagine this guy is brought in more for his work at the LB position.

First Read:

1) Who?

2) Who?!?

3) Why?!!

4) How much?!?

5) (After looking him up, and reading info on him) - Camp Fodder? Special teams? Depth guy?

6) This likely does not change the draft much, except we may only draft 1 LB early.

7) Wait, really? We have Pettine here and the only guy he brings in from his time with the Jets is guy?!

8) I really have to imagine this guy is brought in more for his work at the LB position.

Its still kind of early in FA and not many ex-jets have signed anywhere. Im sure the longer it takes for these guys to sign the lower the price will get, because these guys will want to play.

Its still kind of early in FA and not many ex-jets have signed anywhere. Im sure the longer it takes for these guys to sign the lower the price will get, because these guys will want to play.

Does it reflect on Pettine? The will to play with him? The players who he coached and their possible contributions? How many former Jets D players are out there?

I know Marcus personally, he was pumped to join Buffalo. He has several friends on the team. He will be a good fit, Pettine likes his aggressiveness. Dowtin played at Georgia. He was kicked out the program for a Bar Fight. He knocked a guy out unconscious in a bar fight and was arrested. Dowtin is not a bad kid, but got a crappy deal. Dowtin transerred to North Alabama were he was their standout linebacker playing MIKE. He and Janoris Jenkins led the North Alabama team to a good record. Dowtin is extremely happy to be here in Buffalo and can't wait to turn it up. He shined at the Battle of Florida last year. They allowed him to participate even though he was Maryland. Had a solid game and landed first on the Jets team. Then Eagles and they cut him. Good to see him back with Pettine, Pettine likes him because of his speed and versatility. He can play all linebacker position and understands special teams.

Does it reflect on Pettine? The will to play with him? The players who he coached and their possible contributions? How many former Jets D players are out there?

Bart Scott, Eric Smith, Bryan Thomas, Calvin Pace, Bell.. etc etc are still out there from the Jets D last season.

Bart Scott, Eric Smith, Bryan Thomas, Calvin Pace, Bell.. etc etc are still out there from the Jets D last season.

I am not sure what that means. Are those players running on fumes? Were they just in a system that made them better then what they actually are? Ok... so, still...why are they not signed? We do not need to sign them all...

Somehow this has to come back on Pettine. He either used every drop of talent he could out of them, Rex Ryan oversaw Pettine's system and knows these guys are empty or worth very little to add without Ryan's hand in on it...or they're empty.

I know Marcus personally, he was pumped to join Buffalo. He has several friends on the team. He will be a good fit, Pettine likes his aggressiveness. Dowtin played at Georgia. He was kicked out the program for a Bar Fight. He knocked a guy out unconscious in a bar fight and was arrested. Dowtin is not a bad kid, but got a crappy deal. Dowtin transerred to North Alabama were he was their standout linebacker playing MIKE. He and Janoris Jenkins led the North Alabama team to a good record. Dowtin is extremely happy to be here in Buffalo and can't wait to turn it up. He shined at the Battle of Florida last year. They allowed him to participate even though he was Maryland. Had a solid game and landed first on the Jets team. Then Eagles and they cut him. Good to see him back with Pettine, Pettine likes him because of his speed and versatility. He can play all linebacker position and understands special teams.

Good stuff Damond.

Thanks!

Nice read, thanks for sharing!

Per Buffalo Rumblings

http://www.buffaloru...y-buffalo-bills

I think I speak for most of us in joining the chorus of "Who?", but I think it does give maybe a little insight about how we feel about where we are are LB.

Well, Pettine must know him personally so there's that. Shouldn't be a surprise. Good athleticism...6'2", 230 lbs - I can just picture Gronk running down the field with this guy hanging off like a dingleberry.

Charged with Assault...released from Georgia program....UDFA.....big fine for a shot to the head on Matt Moore....cut from 2 NFL teams his rookie season....wonder why he was released by the Iggles? Did he show up to OTAs out of shape or with a bad attitude?

Sounds like just the guy to improve our LB corps

Edited by Hopeful

Well, I certainly hope he succeeds . . . but my first reaction is that he is small for a LB, is he just a younger version of Bryan Scott?

I have been looking at this since yesterday evening. If he is a Bryan Scott type then this could be huge. I want to know if he can blitz from the D backfield - something Scott cannot do.