Ryan Nassib - QB - Syracuse

I'm more referring to the first video posted. He does have some "happy feet" but he is continually pumping the ball at his stomach which is what made me think of it.

He looked good in the second video. I'd have to say there were a good amount of passes in both that should have been caught but the receivers didn't come up with it. He does have some good zip on the ball. I feel like he looks more of a pure pocket passer. Throws outside of the pocket or on the runner were off most of the time.

I'm not against him, just as long as it's not in the first round. I would prefer if he was available later in the 2nd round to move up to get him if necessary otherwise take him with the 3rd/4th round pick.

I think it's going to take at least a 2nd round pick to get him.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Analysis

Nassib has good-enough arm strength to make throws at all levels of the field with the mechanics and beautiful ball fakes that scouts love to see. Nassib tends to make poor reads under pressure and force throws, but is a smart player and does a nice job using his eyes to hold defenders and work through his progressions. He isn't a statue in the pocket and is very accurate throwing on the run, flashing impressive toughness for the position. Nassib is a gamer with a live arm and the potential to rise up draft boards with a consistent senior year, ranking as one of the more underrated players for the 2013 NFL Draft.

--Dane Brugler

posted by McD http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1630528/ryan-nassib good find!

I'm more referring to the first video posted. He does have some "happy feet" but he is continually pumping the ball at his stomach which is what made me think of it.

He looked good in the second video. I'd have to say there were a good amount of passes in both that should have been caught but the receivers didn't come up with it. He does have some good zip on the ball. I feel like he looks more of a pure pocket passer. Throws outside of the pocket or on the runner were off most of the time.

I'm not against him, just as long as it's not in the first round. I would prefer if he was available later in the 2nd round to move up to get him if necessary otherwise take him with the 3rd/4th round pick.

The progression of Nassib was something to see this year. He really hit his stride around the missouri/ louisville games and I think that explains the improvement you saw from the first clip to the second.

As for the draft I think if the Bills pass on him in the 2nd he won't be there in the 3rd. I know it's early to say that but just my feeling on it as things stand now.

I think it's going to take at least a 2nd round pick to get him.

That's what I'm beginning to think as well. Too many teams need QBs and he appears to have legitimate tools with which to work. This is where I'd love to get inside Marrone's head and know what he is thinking (and what he has shared with Nix/Whaley/Brandon).

The only similarity I can see in Nassib and Jim Kelly is their physical size. As far as passing goes, their throwing motions couldn't be more different. As for being a quarterback, I can't even go there.

GO BILLS!!!

Cant say I am a deft evaluator of college talent or anything, but the QB I saw in that posted video did not look good. Poor pocket awareness, little accuracy downfiled, and poor decisions. Maybe a bad day, but the footwork is bothersome. Perhaps he can be taught and is a diamond in the rough. I could not really say.

The only similarity I can see in Nassib and Jim Kelly is their physical size. As far as passing goes, their throwing motions couldn't be more different. As for being a quarterback, I can't even go there.

GO BILLS!!!

Nassib uses same hip motion and lower body to add velocity just like JK

For some reason, his footwork kinda reminds me of Peyton Mannings footwork, always moving, allowing him to plant and throw whenever he needs to. However, that doesn't mean I think he's going to be Manning. In fact, it makes him look kinda skittish in the pocket. And he needs to get rid of that jump throw he occasionally does.

Other than that, I saw a good delivery and armstrength, but not that great accuracy. Even open throws and completions weren't really right on the money.

After working with Drew Brees for a few years, and being in the NFL for 10+ seasons, IF Marrone decides to bet his chance at being a successful NFL coach on Ryan Nassib, it's easy to imagine that Nassib has the talent to play the position very well in the NFL. That is NOT to say it's automatic that he will be good or that Marrone can't make a huge mistake. He surely can. What's hard to imagine is Marrone sticking his neck out for a kid that he LOVES just because he loves him and not because he has the talents and brains and decision making abilities to be a star and franchise QB.

A lot of times, however, all of these NFL head coaches have the big ego to believe that they can mold these guys into stars. Marrone very likely believes that Nassib can develop into an NFL franchise QB because he has developed and improved so much over time.

The problem, obviously, is that Nassib may not be good enough (or good enough as a bet because they are all bets not sure things) to be taken at #8. And a trade down would suggest to other teams that The Bills are targeting Nassib and another team who loves him as a prospect could then take him or jump in front of us to take him late in first or early in second. The point is, that he Bills better have a Plan B and Plan C even if Marrone wants Nassib bad.

If Marrone REALLY believes in Nassib, you take him #8 even if that is believed to be way too high. You're betting on Marrone's ability to see and mold and best use talent, and so you have to trust him at this early point, to make the right choice.

I just want to clarify. I am simply speculating Nassib as the franchise quarterback based on the fact that Marrone was his college coach. After looking at quarterbacks, Nassib doesn’t jump out and scream future star to me. However, compared to the current draft class, he does seem to be on par or better in several categories. But who am I to speculate? I thought Andrew Luck was going to be a bust and I never saw Russel Wilson coming.

Pro's

1. He leads his receivers and doesn’t get them killed.

2. He stands in the pocket (or jumps and looks awkward) but at least he is a pocket passer.

3. This kid puts velocity on the ball.

I think half of all the dropped passes I have seen are for this reason. His receivers simply can't pull them in.

4. He is very accurate when throwing up to approximately 25 yards.

5. He beat out Geno Smith

Con's

1. Is it me or does he just seem to look goofy when he starts feeling pressure in the pocket?

2. Haven't seen to many deep balls thrown.

3. His performance against West Virginia was lacking.

4. Lacks the touch pass, fades etc...

Things I wonder about.

1. His throwing motion

2. I wonder about his leadership. I am not saying its not there I just don't know.

3. His conference seems very weak.

Edited by ThrowingFitz

I just want to clarify. I am simply speculating Nassib as the franchise quarterback based on the fact that Marrone was his college coach. After looking at quarterbacks, Nassib doesn’t jump out and scream future star to me. However, compared to the current draft class, he does seem to be on par or better in several categories. But who am I to speculate? I thought Andrew Luck was going to be a bust and I never saw Russel Wilson coming.

Pro's

1. He leads his receivers and doesn’t get them killed.

2. He stands in the pocket (or jumps and looks awkward) but at least he is a pocket passer.

3. This kid puts velocity on the ball.

I think half of all the dropped passes I have seen are for this reason. His receivers simply can't pull them in.

4. He is very accurate when throwing up to approximately 25 yards.

5. He beat out Geno Smith

Con's

1. Is it me or does he just seem to look goofy when he starts feeling pressure in the pocket?

2. Haven't seen to many deep balls thrown.

3. His performance against West Virginia was lacking.

4. Lacks the touch pass, fades etc...

Things I wonder about.

1. His throwing motion

2. I wonder about his leadership. I am not saying its not there I just don't know.

3. His conference seems very weak.

Yikes, me thinks reevaluations are in order.

For some reason, his footwork kinda reminds me of Peyton Mannings footwork, always moving, allowing him to plant and throw whenever he needs to. However, that doesn't mean I think he's going to be Manning. In fact, it makes him look kinda skittish in the pocket. And he needs to get rid of that jump throw he occasionally does.

Other than that, I saw a good delivery and armstrength, but not that great accuracy. Even open throws and completions weren't really right on the money.

Flutie thrived on that jump throw.

This guy looks like he has enough talent that he could potentially develop into a solid NFL starter, but it looks like he will take some time. If he's the guy, I suspect Fitz will be the starter next year. If we're going that route I'd rather take a page out of the Barbarian's playbook and draft Tyler Bray to sit for a year. Both are projects and Bray's a much better thrower.