Ryan Nassib - QB - Syracuse

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Take Nassib. Start TJ.. draft Johnny Football next year by trading up. Nassib can be a backup, a very capable one. We do need a franchise QB and some others. And who knows, perhaps Nassib shocks everyone in the NFL. It's happened before.

If the bills intend to keep fitz long term as the starter, then Nassib is a perfect back up. Buck brooks did a great write up from his pro day observation on nfl.com.

The nutshell: really smart, quick decisions, poor deep ball, ok athlete, questionable nfl caliber arm strength. Well suited for spread offense.

Who's that sound like?

If the bills intend to keep fitz long term as the starter, then Nassib is a perfect back up. Buck brooks did a great write up from his pro day observation on nfl.com.

The nutshell: really smart, quick decisions, poor deep ball, ok athlete, questionable nfl caliber arm strength. Well suited for spread offense.

Who's that sound like?

Nassib's arm strength should not be questioned. It's quite strong.

Best for a spread? Dude ran a pro style west coast offense with no problems. There's a reason these guys aren't being paid by NFL teams to give their opinions.

Tannenbaum's an idiot, there's no more three to five year development plan for the QBs drafted in the first three rounds. Just look at the success of last years's class. Also, you can't develop speed and athleticism. Nassib looks great when no one is chasing him down. Tannenbaum is clueless.

He may in fact be an idiot, I don't know him from Adam, but his point is still very interesting, at least to me. Having your QB signed for that one extra year is huge. Also, be careful comparing this class to the one from last year.

He may in fact be an idiot, I don't know him from Adam, but his point is still very interesting, at least to me. Having your QB signed for that one extra year is huge. Also, be careful comparing this class to the one from last year.

Why try to reason with someone who is unreasonable?

Who's that sound like?

1) Bucky is not even close to being an authority on this

2) Anyone who questions Nassib's arm strength is totally blind or just has not seen him throw. He consistently can throw it 45 yards on a rope. He has a very good arm... and yes, much stronger than fitz. Go look at his throws on youtube... not his highlights... both the completions, incompletions, interceptions, touchdowns. He has a gun.

3) He rarely threw deep at Syracuse, mainly because, 1, he did not have the offensive line to protect him... especially up the middle. 2 he did not have a receiver that had better than 4.65 40 speed to get down field. He basically puts too much air on his deep ball.

4) Tom Brady had problems huge problems throwing the deep ball his first two NFL seasons. Not necessarily because of arm strength, but gauging where that ball should be relative to the receiver. And, I'll add, Nassib's arm is stronger than Brady's and his athleticism is a lot better. He did run for a 45 yard td 2 years ago and had a couple of rushing tds this past year and moves well in the pocket. Nassib has a Bradyesque work ethic and grasp of the game...

Now... Brooks concedes...

1) really smart

2) quick decisions

3) "well" suited for a spread offense

What Bucky and the rest fail to own up to is that he is at the top of the class when it comes to mental and physical toughness,his great footwork, quick release, his total 'big picture' grasp of the game, and impeccable mechanics

... and this... as I posted this earlier. All the other pundits make excuses for guys like Tyler Wilson and Mike Glennon, saying that they lost their top receivers from a year ago and had a lot of dropped passes. Well, the fact is both of those guys had way more talent surrounding them than Nassib had at Syracuse... way more. Nassib put that team on his shoulders and carried the team by himself without a LT for half the season and injuries on and off to all of his receivers. He carried SU on his back and orchestrated several comeback wins. Barkley had Robert Woods, Geno Smith had Tavon Austin, but Batman (Nassib) did not have Robin, but he made the guys around him function better. There will be only one person from his Syracuse offense joining him to play in the NFL on Sundays... Justin Pugh... and he was injured half the year. The other guys might get to a training camp, but they aint gonna make a roster.

If you want sexy... don't draft Nassib. If you want "W" s... you better grab him when you can. The kid is easily more engaged in the game than any of the others coming out. Not a diva or prima donna. You won't see him on youtube yucking it up, getting nailed for a dui, caght in some club shooting up the place because all he does is eat and sleep football. When he aint playing he'll be studying the play book, game film, or lifting wts. and working out. Some team is going to get lucky.

what are the panthers doing with claussen. id rather kick the tires on him than to waste a 2nd on a 4th round talent.

Classen was historically bad as a starting QB. Just awful pathetic, digesting. He was inactive all year and was nearly cut last season. He had 3tds in 13 games to ten turnovers. He was just awful

Classen was historically bad as a starting QB. Just awful pathetic, digesting. He was inactive all year and was nearly cut last season. He had 3tds in 13 games to ten turnovers. He was just awful

Yeah but it will be different if we try him out right? That seems to be the logic when people want to bring in historically bad players.

Who's that sound like?

I just threw up in my mouth

CBF

Jeez guys, for the record. Joe Montana was said to not have a very strong arm.

My take is Bucky Brooks is more concerned about his deep ball accuracy vs arm strength to make those deep throws.

Anyway, here ius what he said:

"Nassib wrapped up the workout by throwing a variety of intermediate routes on the run. From bootleg and rollout comebacks to a variety of play-action corners and crossers, he attempted to show his capacity to make "pro" throws by driving the ball on the move. Now, he certainly looked good in those drills, but scouts never had the opportunity to watch him throw from the opposite hash to the sideline. Although rolling out to complete comebacks is definitely a part of some offensive schemes, the majority of pro systems require the quarterback to make deep outside throws from the pocket. For Nassib to eliminate the concerns about his arm strength, he must show this capacity in private workouts over the next few weeks."

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/0ap1000000148770/article/ryan-nassib-lacks-elite-qualities-to-be-considered-franchise-qb

For all you Nassib fans,why would you want a SLOWER FITZ? Same thing over again ...no deep ball threat. This gives the defense a shorter field to defend ,same as Fitz. . I want a Big arm Q.B. that can hit deep throws,Smith,Glennon, Bray. Nassib is terrible on those deep high arcing balloon passes.

For all you Nassib fans,why would you want a SLOWER FITZ? Same thing over again ...no deep ball threat. This gives the defense a shorter field to defend ,same as Fitz. . I want a Big arm Q.B. that can hit deep throws,Smith,Glennon, Bray. Nassib is terrible on those deep high arcing balloon passes.

While I dont like Nassib's long ball too much.....this is a pretty idiotic statement

Fitz does not have good arm strength......Nassib does

But the biggest thing is accuracy on the short to intermediate throws.....Nassib is noticably more accurate...he hits wide receivers in stride and can make all the throws......

If Fitz could do that he wouldn't be this bad

While I dont like Nassib's long ball too much.....this is a pretty idiotic statement

Fitz does not have good arm strength......Nassib does

But the biggest thing is accuracy on the short to intermediate throws.....Nassib is noticably more accurate...he hits wide receivers in stride and can make all the throws......

If Fitz could do that he wouldn't be this bad

Not buying it. Has a average arm,guns the short shitz. later. done with this Nassib talk.

You want deep balls? How bout JP Losman, Jason Campbell, Vince Young, Jamarcus Russell? How about acquiring Gabbert or Claussen? I hear Quinn can go deep. Sanchez, Grossman?

I guess its all about the deep ball. You don't need to read defenses, move in the pocket, provide leadership, or be durable.... just gotta have an arm like rocket. Guess it'll Bray at #8.

What Bucky and the rest fail to own up to is that he is at the top of the class when it comes to mental and physical toughness,his great footwork, quick release, his total 'big picture' grasp of the game, and impeccable mechanics

The kid is easily more engaged in the game than any of the others coming out. Not a diva or prima donna. You won't see him on youtube yucking it up, getting nailed for a dui, caght in some club shooting up the place because all he does is eat and sleep football. When he aint playing he'll be studying the play book, game film, or lifting wts. and working out. Some team is going to get lucky.

You repeat this endlessly. Can you back this up in any way?

How mentally tough do you need to be playing NCAA football in central New York State, in the Big East, where almost no one is watching and no one, outside of some downstate alumni, have any real expectations for your team? Where you, as QB, are a national nonentity. Compare Nassib's career in obscurity with Barkley's continuous national scrutiny in every season. In every game. In every major news outlet/media venue/TV network. He's been under incredible pressure since he became starter. He's a tough kid. You'll have to send us the links to where he (or G. Smith) shot anything or got busted.

Comparing what Barkley had to endure with what Nassib did? You're out of your mind.

1) Bucky is not even close to being an authority on this

2) Anyone who questions Nassib's arm strength is totally blind or just has not seen him throw. He consistently can throw it 45 yards on a rope. He has a very good arm... and yes, much stronger than fitz. Go look at his throws on youtube... not his highlights... both the completions, incompletions, interceptions, touchdowns. He has a gun.

3) He rarely threw deep at Syracuse, mainly because, 1, he did not have the offensive line to protect him... especially up the middle. 2 he did not have a receiver that had better than 4.65 40 speed to get down field. He basically puts too much air on his deep ball.

4) Tom Brady had problems huge problems throwing the deep ball his first two NFL seasons. Not necessarily because of arm strength, but gauging where that ball should be relative to the receiver. And, I'll add, Nassib's arm is stronger than Brady's and his athleticism is a lot better. He did run for a 45 yard td 2 years ago and had a couple of rushing tds this past year and moves well in the pocket. Nassib has a Bradyesque work ethic and grasp of the game...

Now... Brooks concedes...

1) really smart

2) quick decisions

3) "well" suited for a spread offense

... and this... as I posted this earlier. All the other pundits make excuses for guys like Tyler Wilson and Mike Glennon, saying that they lost their top receivers from a year ago and had a lot of dropped passes. Well, the fact is both of those guys had way more talent surrounding them than Nassib had at Syracuse... way more. Nassib put that team on his shoulders and carried the team by himself without a LT for half the season and injuries on and off to all of his receivers. He carried SU on his back and orchestrated several comeback wins. Barkley had Robert Woods, Geno Smith had Tavon Austin, but Batman (Nassib) did not have Robin, but he made the guys around him function better. There will be only one person from his Syracuse offense joining him to play in the NFL on Sundays... Justin Pugh... and he was injured half the year. The other guys might get to a training camp, but they aint gonna make a roster.

If you want sexy... don't draft Nassib. If you want "W" s... you better grab him when you can. The kid is easily more engaged in the game than any of the others coming out. Not a diva or prima donna. You won't see him on youtube yucking it up, getting nailed for a dui, caght in some club shooting up the place because all he does is eat and sleep football. When he aint playing he'll be studying the play book, game film, or lifting wts. and working out. Some team is going to get lucky.

Beautifully stated...

You repeat this endlessly. Can you back this up in any way?

How mentally tough do you need to be playing NCAA football in central New York State, in the Big East, where almost no one is watching and no one, outside of some downstate alumni, have any real expectations for your team? Where you, as QB, are a national nonentity. Compare Nassib's career in obscurity with Barkley's continuous national scrutiny in every season. In every game. In every major news outlet/media venue/TV network. He's been under incredible pressure since he became starter. He's a tough kid. You'll have to send us the links to where he (or G. Smith) shot anything or got busted.

Comparing what Barkley had to endure with what Nassib did? You're out of your mind.

I don't give a damn where the kid played. I don't give a damn if he was on tv or not. Put Barkley in Nassib's shoes with no supporting cast.Barkley wouldn't last half a season without A listers around him. If Barkely took the hit Nassib took in the Pinstripe Bowl he'd still be loopy. Does Barkley bench 400? Does Nassib need a light shining on him? As far as pressure... folks have way more to do in LA to be wrapped up in USC football. In CNY, aint a lot going on... that's why they draw a 30k crowd for a hoop game.Nassib lived in a fishbowl. I mean jimminy crix... Cuse aint even got a football training facility to even sway a recruit to go there. Hell, there's about 150 days of sunshine a year there and half of them when school aint in session. Would Barkely play in a place like that for 5 years... the last year after he graduated? I'd bet both my nuts he wouldn't and couldn't handle it. Put Barkley in the WNY fishbowl where Bills football is the'thing'...being highly touted he better be real good real fast or he's gonna drown.

"Nassib may be the top overall QB from a physical tools standpoint in this draft."

http://nflsfuture.com/2013/01/16/ryan-nassib-scouting-report/

"Arm Strength: Nassib is loaded with arm talent. He throws the ball with a ton of velocity and can fit the ball into tight windows. There isn’t a throw on the field that Nassib can’t make."

"I came away very unimpressed with his ability to throw the deep ball. For someone with his arm speed, his throws vertically down the field lack accuracy and often fall short of the target"

"Accuracy: Year to year, Nassib has grown in the accuracy department. As a redshirt sophomore he really struggled with overall accuracy. Fast forward to 2012 when he threw at a 62% clip. Nassib excels with accuracy on short to intermediate throws. His accuracy on deep balls leaves a bit to be desired. I have concerns with his ball placement at times. In a clean pocket with open receivers he too often will throw the ball in areas that cause the receiver to transition. While it’s a catchable ball, he will need to work on putting the ball in optimal spots to allow for YAC."

Like I stated in an earlier post, His arm strength / accuracy issue has more to do with his deep ball misses. But then like pointed out by others, it simply could be that he has never had the talent at WR or O line for protection to make those deep throws on a consistent basis. So consequently with no practice he can't make it perfect.

No QB in this years draft is worthy of that #8 pick, so why reach for a QB when you solidify other areas of the team, and take a decent QB to develop in the 2nd round.