Stevie wants DHB (Update - goes to Colts)

NoSaint

What would DHB and Meachem's careers look like if Meachem had been in Oakland and DHB had been catching balls from Drew Brees?

Is their one single person here who wouldn't think that DHB would be considered the better player?

DHB would be buried on the depth chart with NO. He's a hard worker with great athletic ability, but he just can't catch. He is better than Meachem, which is saying absolutely nothing.

You don't want DHB, Bills homers. He will infuriate you.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stevie probably wants HGH.

That said, our receiving corp stinks right now. I'd feel a lot better if we were to go into the season with Stevie, DHB, and Fred Davis. heyward bey would be a good complement to SJ (considering who is available). He is the kind of player that Nix tried to get last year in Robert Meachem.

It's also possible we could bring David Nelson back, which I would like. Something is obviously not right with him on the injury front, and that must be why we didn't tender him. The guy went to India for a week as soon as FA, started. he knew he wasn't going to get any offers. That would be the only reason the Bills wouldn't tender him. But maybe when he proves he is back and 100%, teams, including us, could look at him as a #3 or #4.

Indeed. A receiving corps that looks like SJ, DHB, TJ, DNelson, FDavis, Chandler will make life for our QB (rookie or otherwise) a whole lot easier.

Dibs had earlier posted our cap situation and I would be willing to sacrifice Brad Smith to help head off any impending cap issues in 2014.

The above hinges on the return from injury of Davis and the extent of Nelson's injury as you stated. A lot of ifs but certainly not out of the realm of possibility

Indeed. A receiving corps that looks like SJ, DHB, TJ, DNelson, FDavis, Chandler will make life for our QB (rookie or otherwise) a whole lot easier. I would still further look into the 3rd round+ for a rookie WR/TE to set us up in the future.

Dibs had earlier posted our cap situation and I would be willing to sacrifice Brad Smith to help head off any impending cap issues in 2014.

The above hinges on the return from injury of Davis and the extent of Nelson's injury as you stated. A lot of ifs but certainly not out of the realm of possibility

DHB would be buried on the depth chart with NO. He's a hard worker with great athletic ability, but he just can't catch. He is better than Meachem, which is saying absolutely nothing.

Say more - why infuriate?

I can see he infuriated Oakland fans, for the same reasons Whitner infuriated us - chosen in draft above his ability to perform. Not his fault

How infuriated were the Chargers when Meachem and his $7.5 million signing bonus resulted in 3 starts and 14 receptions?

As for DHB being buried on the depth chart in New Orleans, they drafted Meachem and Devery Henderson high and even though both of them are disappointments, they were given every opportunity to succeed.

Even though Oakland overdrafted DHB, he was still viewed as a low first/high second round pick and had New Orleans picked him, I'm sure he would have seen the light of day.

I was backing up Kelly's point that DHB is probably every bit as good as Meachem and he'd cost a helluva lot less.

Edited by San Jose Bills Fan

Indeed. A receiving corps that looks like SJ, DHB, TJ, DNelson, FDavis, Chandler will make life for our QB (rookie or otherwise) a whole lot easier.

If we get a QB that can make the deep throws, that lineup, w/ Spiller in the back field, could create matchup nightmares depending on the offense we run. If DHB & TJG played wide out w/ SJ in the slot, Fred Davis at TE, & Spiller in a single back set, the speed guys could clear out the secondary with Davis & SJ having their way underneath, & Spiller as the dump off. How do you defend that?

Edited by Rob's House

Too bad Stevie is not our GM. It would be interesting though if there was a team out there that was completely run by its players. Probably do just a good job as some of these "professionals".

sometimes and then other times wreck less to hire "friends"

Never should've been drafted as high as he was, but DHB is a real NFL receiver with excellent speed and size. Right now we have 1 real NFL receiver on the roster, 2 if you count Graham. And unless you really stretch and count Easley, we don't have anyone who's both big and fast. Not saying we needed to get DHB per se, but I would've been happy if the Bills had signed him. I would like to see them sign a real NFL receiver or two at some point. We only have 2, maybe 3, draft picks that can be counted on to produce viable players this year. (I.e., starters or regular rotation players, like a #3 receiver for example.) You have to have 5 skill position players on the field on every play. Here are all of our current skill position players:

Spiller

Jackson

Choice

Stevie

Graham

Brad Smith

Easley

Kevin Elliot

Chris Hogan

Mike Caussin

Lee Smith

Joe Sawyer

(Chandler isn't on the list yet because he won't be ready to start the season, and there's no guarantee he'll be effective when he comes back anyway)

Considering that in most sets, only 1 of the RBs will be on the field, we are in especially rough shape. Four of the non-RBs will need to be starters, and probably an additional 3 will need to be regular rotation players (every team runs some 2-TE and 4-WR sets). I only see guy on the non-RB list that should be a starter in the NFL, and maybe 2-3 additional rotation players at best. So we just need to add 3 extra starters at the skill positions, plus a potential franchise QB, plus a starting LG.

At this point, I really think the Bills are planning on bringing in 20-30 UDFAs and winding up with at least a half dozen playing regular snaps, including 1-2 at WR. Which is kind of odd, since the Bills just decided to let go 2 former UDFA WRs in Jones and Nelson.

Great job of recruiting your pals Stevie ! Can't they hire Merriman to be their chief recruiter

I assume you are just mad because you can't put this on SJ.

Go to a team with a young Peyton Manning and has a chance to do good things soon or a team with Kolb or Nassib and little to no chance of good things for a few years at least, Pretty easy decision for everyone I would think.

I'm glad we avoided the DHB bullet.

I wanted him only because we suck there right now, and I wouldn't have minded him as a #3 or #4 guy, even though he would have got some snaps in a two WR set. That said, it seems to me that the Bills brass just didn't want any part of him, considering that he was out there for a long time, he expressed an interest in us, Stevie did his lobbying, and he didn't sign for all that much, as well as being a 3-4 WR on the Colts.

Right or wrong, the Bills just didn't want him it seems to me.