Bills officially sign QB Kevin Kolb

sssssssssuuuuuuuppperbowll!!!!

Now, just trade for that dude that's a backup for the Titans (forgot his name but like Kolb he's a good one too).

Then, Grab a franchise long snapper in the first, and a off the wall QB pick in the second. This roster has Bellicheat

crapping his drawers for sure now.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did I earn any credibility by saying that he was in the other day?

Yes, with some of us

I just Googled his college scouting reports, one word that kept coming up is durable. Seven years ago, the reports sounded pretty decent, after all, he was a second rounder.

Oh, hey, he was drafted at #36 too so according to Dibs he might be worth having. If he was drafted at #37, I'd be pissed at the move.

Kolb's arm is weaker than Fitzgibbons'. He is not a vertical passer.

He certainly wasn't in 'Zona but was that lack of time? His scouting reports, back in the day, said he had good arm strength. Uncertain.

No, we're talking about the difference between very good and elite. And don't forget, Fitzgerald had a lousy year when he had a crappy QB throwing to him.

Crappy QB throwing to him? Wait, are you talking about the guy we just signed?

Hope sesslers wrong. You don't pay kolb that much to sit him ? This is just brutal if true. Kolb is a donk. At least he's not fitz, so he has that at least.

Kolb isn't Fitz, but he might possibly make you miss him. :nana:

Personally, I AM STOKED!

Kevin Kolb is just the type of bargain-basement, swap-meet talent that Buddy Nix habitually searches for. Kolb is one-dimensional, wildly inconsistent, and coming off an injury. -Bad news right?

Not so fast.

This situation is strangely reminisent of T-Dilf's departure from Tampa and subsequent arrival in Baltimore... If you recall, 2000-01 wasn't a bad time to be a Raven fan. That was also the year BAL picked up LB Adalius Thomas, (out for most of the season) and a very potent weapon in RB in Jamal Lewis... After Dilf got cut by Tampa, he was thought to be washed up. -Expectations for him in Baltimore were close to nil.

Dilf wasn't considered a franchise guy.. But he went in there under lousy circumstances, and supported the D by being effficent, and keeping costly mistakes to a minimum...

I'm not suggesting that history will repeat itself... However, I do see some interesting parallels.... That 2000-01 Ravens team may have been more complete, but the 2013-14 Bills can upgrade some key positions (LB TE WR SS) through the draft... Working in our favor is the fact the DEPTH at these positions is OUT-STANDING this draft!

Think about it... We grab some weapons early this draft, then get Kolb to the point where he's EFFICIENT above all else... Fughettabboutit gentlemen, -we're GOING.

Nobody's got a crystal Ball, but I see ways that the '13 Bills can be a very nice surprise.

I like this move a lot, not that I think Kolb is good BUT he is good enough. I don't like this QB class at all and we have so many needs across the board esp on offense. I am a fan of putting QB's in a position to have success and right now with our targets and our defense we aren't doing a good job of creating an environment were a QB can flourish.

The best way to address our needs would be to trade down to the high teens and acquire a 2nd rounder. Pick up Austin or Patterson round 1 and then address other needs with the next three picks.

I just don't think drafting a QB for the sake of drafting a QB is going to work out. Next years class is such a better QB class. Better to have better targets or defensive players then be stuck with a QB who isn't working out and was only taken because we needed a QB.

Kolb can handle this year, stock up the talent around the QB position and then make a move for a QB next year when you have a much better environment to develop one.

Edited by billsfan89

Found this at ProFootballFocus:

Quarterback: Kevin Kolb (+4.7)

After missing 17 games with various injuries over the past two seasons, the Cardinals couldn’t justify paying Kolb another $11 million this season. But at a reasonable salary, he’s worth a flier. He led Arizona to a 4-2 start in 2012, and his 84.08 PFF Quarterback Rating in the regular season was higher than those of Cam Newton, Andy Dalton, Andrew Luck, and Joe Flacco

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/03/29/best-of-the-rest-the-all-remaining-free-agent-team/

That is very reassuring. If our line can give him time and keep him from getting hit so much, he might just be able to give us an actual passing attack.

Crappy QB throwing to him? Wait, are you talking about the guy we just signed?

No, Kolb was injured and only started a few games last year. As another poster demonstrated, Kolb played pretty well.

People need to CHILL on this one....it's a 2 year deal with incentives making up a lot of the upside.

This is not the type of contract that you give to someone that you feel will be "The Answer". There have been a few posts saying that it was a flexibility move....and they could not be more correct.

We are absolutely drafting another QB and the "open competition" will have 4 QBs in camp

Can see Kolb in a starter role to open the season and then having the rookie take the helm midway...and if it doesnt work.....we draft franchise guy 2014.

NOBODY is reading the tea leaves here and figuring our 2013 campaign to be a playoff season....so why NOT use this year to set up to solve the QB issue ....If not then next year for certain.

Those that are reacting as if we just went all-in to make Kolb our future may be overreacting. He's going to be the starter this season and 100% our backup next year IMHO.

Yeah, that pretty much sums up the situation as I see it. The guaranteed money's probably in the range of $3 million per year, which is pretty standard for a back up with previous starting experience these days. Nothing to get hung up on. And the flexibility issue at pick 8 is a real factor here.

The only downside I see is the number of reps they'll have to distribute among the top three QBs on the depth chart at SJF. It may be tough for a rookie to insert himself into the picture with two guys who'll likely look good running around in shorts. Wilson was able to do it in Seattle last year, but was helped greatly by an injury to Flynn.

Found this at ProFootballFocus:

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/03/29/best-of-the-rest-the-all-remaining-free-agent-team/

That is very reassuring. If our line can give him time and keep him from getting hit so much, he might just be able to give us an actual passing attack.

Yep

2yr contract @ 13mil...geez us f-ing cryst. What is wrong with this franchise. 6.5 mil a year. I know the qb situation is horrible but cmon. I really hope its incentive driven.

(I am sure the first year is not 6.5M...Probably gets a 3M signing bonus and 1.2 Vet minimum...The rest should be his 2nd year salary. It allows the Bills to cut him at the end of the season without killing themselves. For Kolb, he gets an opportunity to compete for the starting job in training camp.

What were the other options?

Exactly. People are acting like there was some pro bowl QB out there who we could have gotten instead, or an RG III just waiting for us at no. 8 in the draft. No, these are the options that are open to teams that fail to draft and develop credible QB prospects, even when they (foolishly) think they are "set" at the position.

The only way Kolb gets the full 13 million is if he is the starter, reaches the amount of games played, gets the rquired amount of Td's etc it is incentive driven

There was not alot of options out there , they were not going to give up any of there picks for Flynn

do I like Kolb, heck no but he is a stop gap solution. Also I highly doubt he will get the bonus for games played he is often injured he won't make the full 13 million