Bills officially sign QB Kevin Kolb

Happy Easter to all. So, I wake up to the Kolb news. No big deal. He won't play much, which is a good thing for both the bills and kolb.

He's been rode hard and put away wet. So, relax folks, the Bills know he's one hit away from retirement, so they aren't putting all their easter eggs in one basket.

This move serves two purposes.

1) Keeps other teams focus away from the Bills taking a qb at #8.

2) Makes it a lock the Bills take Nassib at #8. (Hey... they need a qb that's all about the "W" can take a hit and shrug it off)

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Happy Easter to all. So, I wake up to the Kolb news. No big deal. He won't play much, which is a good thing for both the bills and kolb.

He's been rode hard and put away wet. So, relax folks, the Bills know he's one hit away from retirement, so they aren't putting all their easter eggs in one basket.

2) Makes it a lock the Bills take Nassib at #8. (Hey... they need a qb that's all about the "W" can take a hit and shrug it off)

Ive read this in other posts and still dont get the logic. How does signing a mediocre QB allow the Bills to draft lesser talent at #8? How does that make any sense?

......I'm sure there's someone who bounced around for a while before getting really, really good.......

There has never been(in the modern era) a journeyman QB who became really, really good. There has been a few like Rich Gannon &....um....others similar(?)....who had themselves a couple of good seasons.....but never one that was mediocre, moved teams, and then became great.

There has never been(in the modern era) a journeyman QB who became really, really good. There has been a few like Rich Gannon &....um....others similar(?)....who had themselves a couple of good seasons.....but never one that was mediocre, moved teams, and then became great.

Kurt Warner? Matt Hasselbeck?

Ive read this in other posts and still dont get the logic. How does signing a mediocre QB allow the Bills to draft lesser talent at #8? How does that make any sense?

While I don't agree with the idea that "it's a lock that we don't take a QB at #8", I think that the logic is that the Bills no longer have to run a rookie as a starter no matter what. The Bills can pick someone who is physically gifted like EJ Manuel or Matt Scott, and give them a year to polish. After all, even Kaepernick only started after an injury in his second year, and suddenly everyone is going on about how brilliant the 49'ers were, even though they were perfectly content with Alex Smith at the helm.

Of course, if there is THE GUY at #8, whoever that is, the Bills can take him, and with the incentive laden contract we suspect Kolb got offered we don't have to scream about how we're paying a fortune to a backup.

Ehh, maybe I'm Kool-Aid drinking. And, to be honest, I don't need great from Kolb. I would be happy with "serviceable" . I would be thrilled if he somehow became the exception to the rule, if indeed the source of his troubles were a bad O-line and non-existent running game, but right now I see him as the wily vet who chases off the rookie for the starting job at first. After all, he's never finished a season, so I think this really just places us as the same situation as with Fitz...only paying less money to a guy with more experience in the new coaching staff's system, and with a bigger arm.

Thanks coach! Warner is pretty much the perfect example.

If the Bills don't see a rookie they like, oh well, there's next year. Kolb somehow becomes the next Drew Brees, a journeyman who bounced around as a backup before slowly earning his stripes as the starter, we have him for one more year at a ridiculously reasonable contract. If the Bills find a guy they like, but want to give him a year or two to develop, same thing. If the rookie knocks us off our feet, he's in an affordable contract for a backup and we can let him hit the open market, or let him see what the value is for a 29 year old who wasn't started in two years.

Please peeps please. Stop with the Kolb Brees comparisons. Brees was NOT a journeyman who bounced around as a backup before slowly earning his stripes as a starter. He was drafted to be the future of the franchise at the very top of the 2nd round. He had very hot pre-draft indicators and slipped in the draft, like Wilson, due to concerns about his height. He spent his rookie year on the bench behind an aging Flutie. Next year, Brees went into the season and played 16 games with respectable stats. The only thing not to like was too many picks. The Chargers faltered in 2003, the "blame the QB" wheel turned, and the Chargers benched their young QB for Flutie who threw fewer picks, but didn't bring home more wins, completing the job of earning the Chargers the #1 pick in the draft. Manning, Rivers, trade, history. Even then, Brees earned the starting job the following year, went to the playoffs and the probowl. He would have been a hot free agent that year - the Chargers franchised him. He started in 2005, played well, was a probowl alternate, and suffered what could have been a career ending injury the last game of the season. Even so, Chargers offered him 5 yr 50 million with incentives, for which I can't blame them given the severity of his injury. Brees said "I'm worth more", got more from NO, and walked. The Dolphins preferred Daunte Culpepper. Ha.

Sorry for the long answer, but folks, can we just link back to this post every time someone brings up Drew Brees as a comparator to Kolb? Kolb is our guy now, I hope he improves, I hope he does well for us, but his body of work so far is in no way comparable to Brees, and Brees was never a "journeyman QB who bounced around the league". Hopefully the above clarifies this.

Kolb, in my opinion, did not show as much in Philly as many people seem to think. He started a 4 game stretch where he blew hot and cold - from 54% to 79% completions and more INTs than TD overall. I don't see data supporting Kolb was "great in Philly" and fizzled in Zona. Believe me peeps, I'd love to be shown wrong. I grant you he wasn't playing behind great lines, but great QB make poor lines look better. I grant you, Kolb couldn't learn how to make good reads and pick up the blitz from Vick. But the best we can say about Kolb right now is "not proven".

I don't want to rain on anyone's sense of contentment here, but the last thing I want to see from the Bills after this trade is "if the Bills don't see a rookie they like, oh well there's next year". The Bills haven't spent a meaningful draft pick on a QB since 2004. You never hit the shot you don't take. The Bills have to develop the willingness to take their best shot and start shooting. Kolb is not the answer. If he plays well, he could become Fitz 2.0, someone who may flash enough to lull us into abandoning a sense of urgency at the QB position. His best use will be as a stop-gap to give a raw rookie a chance to develop without being thrown in the fire. There is no "oh well next year" until we have a great QB. Draft a rookie this year and if he isn't "all that" draft one next year too.

Good analysis. So the Bills pay millions simply to confuse other teams for the next 4 weeks about who they will draft at #8. Right.

Edited by BillnutinHouston

Nice theory if they were bringing him in at or close to the league minimum, but a contract that could max at $13 million sure would be an expensive decoy.

Incorrect.

What this move means is that OBD has several QBs rated similarly that they're targeting at #41, and this move allows them to wait to see which one of them falls to them instead of overdrafting one of them at #8.

I don't disagree. I think the Bills will draft a QB this year, just not in the 1st.

While I don't agree with the idea that "it's a lock that we don't take a QB at #8", I think that the logic is that the Bills no longer have to run a rookie as a starter no matter what.

That's not what the post said. The post said it was "a lock" that they would draft Nassib at #8 now. Completely the opposite. And, it really doesn't make sense since Nassib is rated as a 2nd or 3rd rounder, not a top 10 pick..

No. Neither was a journeyman.

Warner was an instant superstar with the Rams.....and Hasselbeck went straight from being a young backup behind Favre, to being a solid starter at the Seahawks.

That's not what the post said. The post said it was "a lock" that they would draft Nassib at #8 now. Completely the opposite. And, it really doesn't make sense since Nassib is rated as a 2nd or 3rd rounder, not a top 10 pick..

Ahh, I misunderstood. Thank you for setting me straight.

Its just an insurance policy. I give the Bills credit for doing something than just sitting on their hands

Maybe more than that. They may have found out that it was nearly impossible to close the deal on free agents with nothing but a lick and a promise at QB. From Kolb's standpoint, there aren't that many teams that would see him as an upgrade and potential starter.

Maybe more than that. They may have found out that it was nearly impossible to close the deal on free agents with nothing but a lick and a promise at QB. From Kolb's standpoint, there aren't that many teams that would see him as an upgrade and potential starter.

Great point. There are a few decent WRs still available that Id assume we have NO shot at with no QB. At least Kolb is something.

How do you define "modern era"? If it includes Gannon, Steve Young comes to mind. He pretty well sucked his 2 years in Tampa.

How would you class Schaub? He arguably didn't show anything one way or the other with Atl, and I wouldn't call him great, but he's been a good solid QB for the Texans.