Bills officially sign QB Kevin Kolb

This move is purely about flexibility. It wasn't big money and it wasn't long term. It's incentive laden to say the least. I like the option of not reaching for Matt Barkley in the first round if Geno Smith is off the board.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like this signing a lot. He will end up costing half what Fitz would have cost and will be at least as effective (more so IMO). But more importantly, This gives the bills flexibility in the draft. No longer do they NEED to draft a starting QB, nor do they need to start the rookie right away, regardless of whether he's ready.

Obviously, they should still draft a QB as Kolb isnt the next Jim Kelly, but I doubt they reach for one with the 8th pick now, and that's a good thing. Assuming that Geno is gone at #8, I'd be very happy if they pick WR or LB in the first, best QB available at 40, and WR or LB (whichever position wasn't taken in the 1st) in the 3rd round. Round out the draft with a CB, G, and another LB

Even better would be trading back. Trading say from 8 to 20 would give them two second and two third rounders, giving them 5 picks in the first three rounds.

+1

Now that we have Kolb we should go all out get as many weapons in the draft as possible. I think all the QBs in this draft will be average to mediocre so why bother. Kolb has shown with a good line and a west coast base, which we both have, that he can be effective. I don't think he is the final solution but with weapons he can win and we can draft one of the better QBs next year.

A 9.3 percent sack rate lifetime -- that's pretty bad. And I don't necessarily attribute that to the Cards' line. QBs often are so sack prone that they make otherwise average lines look far worse than they really are. See Beck, John; Johnson, Rob; and Kolb, Kevin.

For evidence, check out his sack rate vs. that of the other AZ qbs last year: http://www.pro-footb...ms/crd/2012.htm .

Methinks that Cordy Glenn will be blamed unfairly next year for giving up too many sacks ...

It's a legit point...And part of the reason why I don't read too much into this signing...I don't mind it either...I think it gives the Bills insurance and at least a little added flexibility at Draft time...Kolb improves the competition at QB at least...If the Bills are looking at this Draft and thinking they can get a QB they like just as much at #41 as the QB they can get at #8, bringing in Kolb makes sense to me...Because waiting till your 2nd pick is not without risks...And in this Draft the QB you're going to get at #41 almost certainly will be a bit of a project...So I don't mind the Bills having a back-up plan...

But long-term I don't see Kolb being anything more than a backup unless he can REALLY improve those sack numbers...No question about it... B-)

It's a legit point...And part of the reason why I don't read too much into this signing...I don't mind it either...I think it gives the Bills insurance and at least a little added flexibility at Draft time...Kolb improves the competition at QB at least...If the Bills are looking at this Draft and thinking they can get a QB they like just as much at #41 as the QB they can get at #8, bringing in Kolb makes sense to me...Because waiting till your 2nd pick is not without risks...And in this Draft the QB you're going to get at #41 almost certainly will be a bit of a project...So I don't mind the Bills having a back-up plan...

But long-term I don't see Kolb being anything more than a backup unless he can REALLY improve those sack numbers...No question about it... B-)

He does look a little slow and flat out there at times mentally. i dont have high expectations other than he can be a 7-9 kind of guy. But he has more potential than Fitz to go beyond that, so in that sense its an upgrade. What this tells me is that they dont like the 2013 QB class, will pass on a QB in round 1 unless (maybe) Geno falls to 8. And w/ only 6 picks versus our needs, they didnt want to trade any for Flynn. They'll probably take a QB later. If Kolb, TJ and rookie TBA dont cut it in 2013 and the season is a write-off, they'll position themselves draftwise for the better looking 2014 QB class. Your first year as HC is when you have the luxury of a bad season, better use it now.

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

I can't believe it.

After watching him this year against our terrible defense, I actually said, "Well, at least we don't have him"

Now we do

Haaaaaaa. Agree with you but am hoping kolb is genos backup. Terrible move IMO. Why can't t jax backup whoever we draft ?

Another inconsistent qb. Ain't nobody got time for that.

People need to CHILL on this one....it's a 2 year deal with incentives making up a lot of the upside.

This is not the type of contract that you give to someone that you feel will be "The Answer". There have been a few posts saying that it was a flexibility move....and they could not be more correct.

We are absolutely drafting another QB and the "open competition" will have 4 QBs in camp

Can see Kolb in a starter role to open the season and then having the rookie take the helm midway...and if it doesnt work.....we draft franchise guy 2014.

NOBODY is reading the tea leaves here and figuring our 2013 campaign to be a playoff season....so why NOT use this year to set up to solve the QB issue ....If not then next year for certain.

Those that are reacting as if we just went all-in to make Kolb our future may be overreacting. He's going to be the starter this season and 100% our backup next year IMHO.

Edited by filthymcnasty08

All signs point to not taking a qb round 1. You don't get kolb if you are planning on getting a qb with your first pick. They will probably get Nassib with #2 and let him sit a year to learn. They must not have been all that impressed with who they have seen or maybe they just felt there wasn't a big enough gap between the top qb's and the 4th-5th qb to use a first round pick on one

Kolb in 4.5 games or so has a better winning percentage that Fitz did last year, had a better QB rating (86.1 to 83.3), very close completion percentage (59.6% for Kolb and 60.6% for Fitz), a better TD to INT ratio (2.67 to 1.5) and a very close average yards per attempt (6.39 for Kolb and 6.73 for Fitz). The way people are just throwing this guy away as a complete loser is ridiculous. For cheap, he'd be a great pickup. His line was in the worst 2 or 3 in the league last year as well and he was always taking hits and running for his life.

Over the course of his career, Trent Edwards compiled a yards per pass attempt stat of 6.5. Losman's is 6.6. As you pointed out, Kolb's was 6.4. Kolb played behind a bad offensive line, which is also something one could say of Edwards and (often) of Losman. On the other hand, neither Edwards nor Losman had Larry Fitzgerald.

Back in the day, Jim Kelly was paid about $1.5 million per season. Kolb's contract is structured to potentially allow him to make $6 million a season or more. I'm sure Jim Kelly finds that contrast hilarious! :D

Don't get me wrong - I want Buffalo to draft a franchise QB, the sooner the better - but, IF the desire is to get a franchise QB in next year's draft, where there are, by most accounts, probably 3 QB's that will be solid, and go in the first round, then wouldn't going all out and getting offensive weapons in this draft - maybe a few early round WR's, maybe one of the top TE's, a LG - wouldn't that, coupled with Kolb playing well, probably allow Buffalo to have some success, and thereby push us OUT of position to get one of the better QB's in next year's draft?

I just don't think you can look at the QB situation and say, "next year we'll get our guy" unless you're willing to just tank THIS year. Because, if you're going out and trying to add weapons, and make the offense and defense better, and trying to win, you might (especially with Buffalo's history and luck) just actually win enough games to lose out on the QB you want. Sound familiar? This is what we did with Fitz for the last 3 years! We didn't draft a QB during that time because he was serviceable, and none of the best QB's fell to us. I'm not saying we shouldn't try to win, or add pieces - what I am saying is if Buffalo needs a QB then it ought to try and get a franchise QB AS SOON AS IT CAN, because waiting, for us, ends up being us missing out.