Bills officially sign QB Kevin Kolb

Take a look at the linkys and judge for yourself. Overall, Cosell and Caplan seemed to be saying his mental grasp of the game and understanding of the offense was very good, but he was gun-shy under pressure, worried about where the bodies were coming from instead of looking downfield. I'm not a big college football fan, is that characteristic of spread offense guys?

Watch some Eagles games this upcoming season. I'm sure Chip Kelly is going to try to bring the spread option to the NFL in some form. Actually, some of the principles the Patriots have been using come out of the same bag of tricks. The Redskins, Seahawks, and 49ers all used priniciples of the running game last year. Indeed, even the Bills used principles of the spread and the zone option. Assuming Kolb is named the Bills starting QB, Buffalo may continue to run the spread this season as well. Not sure they want the brittle Kolb running with the ball though.

The problem is that the NFL has better athletes on defense across the board, which takes away the pure gimmes. They also have the better defensive coaches (usually), many of whom are capable of scheming up something to counter what looks an offense is giving. So, if Kolb is a one look guy, you give him muddled and changing coverages to keep him under constant mental pressure and keep the pressure on his line as well. Now he's got 2 problems and the simple look-and-react offense is out the window. He starts holding the ball, and your guys T-off on him.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Incorrect.

I'll save you the trouble of looking and post WEO's quote verbatim for you:

If you think that no other GM took Glenn as an LT simply because the great Buddy Nix called him a guard, you're nuts. It's delusional.

This comment sure sounds like he knows, for a fact, that no other GM took Glenn as an LT due to Nix's alleged smokescreen.

No. My whole point is that the bolded statement should be intuitive. In other words, there is and has never been any reason to even suggest, let alone believe that all other GMs were so convinced of Buddy's supreme scouting ability that they from that point on never considered Glenn a tackle.

I will refine my statement though: if you do believe this incredible proposition, you are either delusional or you throw it out there as a desperate attempt to salvage your imploding ideal/argument of Nix as a competent GM for the Bills. It's a completely unconvincing argument so I don't think you believe it's true either. You and others repeat silly nuggets like this in an attempt to paper over the obvious: so far, you were wrong about Buddy.

Watch some Eagles games this upcoming season. I'm sure Chip Kelly is going to try to bring the spread option to the NFL in some form. Actually, some of the principles the Patriots have been using come out of the same bag of tricks. The Redskins, Seahawks, and 49ers all used priniciples of the running game last year. Indeed, even the Bills used principles of the spread and the zone option. Assuming Kolb is named the Bills starting QB, Buffalo may continue to run the spread this season as well. Not sure they want the brittle Kolb running with the ball though.

The problem is that the NFL has better athletes on defense across the board, which takes away the pure gimmes. They also have the better defensive coaches (usually), many of whom are capable of scheming up something to counter what looks an offense is giving. So, if Kolb is a one look guy, you give him muddled and changing coverages to keep him under constant mental pressure and keep the pressure on his line as well. Now he's got 2 problems and the simple look-and-react offense is out the window. He starts holding the ball, and your guys T-off on him.

My pardon, not asking about spread offense per se. Understand the fundamentals. Asking whether being gun-shy with bodies flying around and losing the ability to focus downfield is a characteristic of college spread-option QB in the NFL.

My pardon, not asking about spread offense per se. Understand the fundamentals. Asking whether being gun-shy with bodies flying around and losing the ability to focus downfield is a characteristic of college spread-option QB in the NFL.

No, I didn't say that. That's reversing the cause and effect. A QB that does not read defenses well and cannot handle pressure may do rather well in an offense that spreads the field (fewer bodies in the box at the snap) and is designed to get the ball out quickly (no time to think, no reset and react -- it's just snap it and go). That system can hide a kid's limitations and allow him to look like more than he is.

No, I didn't say that. That's reversing the cause and effect. A QB that does not read defenses well and cannot handle pressure may do rather well in an offense that spreads the field (fewer bodies in the box at the snap) and is designed to get the ball out quickly (no time to think, no reset and react -- it's just snap it and go). That system can hide a kid's limitations and allow him to look like more than he is.

Seems to me that he was talking about the spread pass offense that Kolb played in at Houston, and you're talking about the spread-option/read-option offense and plays that are becoming en vogue in the NFL, which it seems to me are two different things.

Seems to me that he was talking about the spread pass offense that Kolb played in at Houston, and you're talking about the spread-option/read-option offense and plays that are becoming en vogue in the NFL, which it seems to me are two different things.

Actually, Kolb ran it some at Houston.

I'm not confusing the NFL and the NCAA. I wasn't following Hopeful's line of question.

or you throw it out there as a desperate attempt to salvage your imploding ideal/argument of Nix as a competent GM for the Bills. It's a completely unconvincing argument so I don't think you believe it's true either. You and others repeat silly nuggets like this in an attempt to paper over the obvious: so far, you were wrong about Buddy.

The trouble is, I have never, to my knowledge, argued that Nix is a competent GM of the Bills.

My issue with your comment was simply that there is no way you could know such a thing to be true absent having spoken to the 31 other GMs or having information that supports your claim.

If it's just your opinion or something that you assume to be self evident, that's fine.

Edited by Thurmal34

If you think that no other GM took Glenn as an LT simply because the great Buddy Nix called him a guard, you're nuts. It's delusional.

Buddy doens't have to be labeled a "complete failure" to be described as a bumbler. In addition to his serial inability to address the starting QB position, every coach that he has hired in the past 3 years is gone--including HC, OC and 2 DC's. His teams have lost twice as many games as they have won (even worse than the 3 years before he arrived). After 3 years, the team is in no better (or worse) shape than when he got here. That's a "middle of the pack" resume?

That's not what I said, and I'm far from delusional. I call it "hopeful." But staying on topic, a large number of "draftniks" labeled Glenn a G, while Buddy clearly already thought the guy could start at LT yet wisely kept his mouth shut. Now, we hear players inside the Bills' locker room talking about what a great LT Glenn is going to become. That is one very prominent example of Buddy getting the job done, and shrewdly.

The Bills' record during Nix's tenure sucks, and he deserves plenty of the blame -- but I still reject the notion he's a bumbling idiot and believe the personnel transactions he has overseen do not put him near the bottom of the league from a GM perspective. He swung and missed on the HC -- stojan happens.