Bills officially sign QB Kevin Kolb

It's more an observation of the manner in which Buddy has now spent 4 offseasons (to this point) addressing the starting QB position.

Nothing to criticize there....

Someone points out that the deal is a good value for the Bills, and your response is to talk about how bad Nix has been. Sorry, but that looks an awful lot like someone using any excuse to criticize. How about you wait until after the draft to criticize Nix's 2013 off-season approach to the QB position?

Or is that asking too much?

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really don't have much of an opinion on him. You probably didn't either until you read his piece mocking a guy who has been a Bills player for 24 hours (and who you didn't give 2 sh**ts about before the Bills signed him).

Someone made the claim that he wrote poorly. I went and read some of his stuff and disagreed that his writing was poor and I concluded that the person making that claim was (like yourself) attacking the message, not how well it was written. If Walker had instead praised Kolb, we wouldn't be having a discussion about what a poor writer he is, now would we?

Buddy's "QB Tryout Special"

Vince Young, T Jackson, Kolb....

Alright WEO, I'll try and be civil here and give you a logical response. I hope you can do the same. I've actually had an opinion on him for quite some time (see previous thread I started a few weeks ago that I've linked here http://forums.twobil..._+james +walker ). I understand what you're saying SJBF on a prestige position - the guy has made it to the pinnacle of his profession - he's working at ESPN with quite a captive audience that most reporters would kill for. I don't think I've ever attacked his writing skills - I just think he's a terrible reporter. When I go look for news on ESPN, PFT, or BN, I'd like to read stories written by folks that are actually doing their homework - interview front office folks/players, gather sources on the teams you're reporting on, and provide insight and analysis on how you think a certain move will work. James Walker does not do any of the above. Most of the stories he puts up there are either old news, links to articles I've already read, or two or three line posts with the title "How will Tebow fare?" and no actual thought process by Mr. Walker on how Tebow will fare, instead only posing questions to readers on how they think he will fare. I don't mean this as a put down, but I could get more reliable information from the TBD and Buffalo Rumblings than him (again not a put down, but you expect better out of a professional reporter over fans). As I said, he's reached the pinnacle of his profession, but I think he's squandering his chance - with 30-40K people clicking your links everyday, how can you not have a piece that you call your own at least once a week?

I've tried to take away the personal attack here and focus on his work. I'd be interested to hear what else you have to say.

Alright WEO, I'll try and be civil here and give you a logical response. I hope you can do the same. I've actually had an opinion on him for quite some time (see previous thread I started a few weeks ago that I've linked here http://forums.twobil..._+james +walker ). I understand what you're saying SJBF on a prestige position - the guy has made it to the pinnacle of his profession - he's working at ESPN with quite a captive audience that most reporters would kill for. I don't think I've ever attacked his writing skills - I just think he's a terrible reporter. When I go look for news on ESPN, PFT, or BN, I'd like to read stories written by folks that are actually doing their homework - interview front office folks/players, gather sources on the teams you're reporting on, and provide insight and analysis on how you think a certain move will work. James Walker does not do any of the above. Most of the stories he puts up there are either old news, links to articles I've already read, or two or three line posts with the title "How will Tebow fare?" and no actual thought process by Mr. Walker on how Tebow will fare, instead only posing questions to readers on how they think he will fare. I don't mean this as a put down, but I could get more reliable information from the TBD and Buffalo Rumblings than him (again not a put down, but you expect better out of a professional reporter over fans). As I said, he's reached the pinnacle of his profession, but I think he's squandering his chance - with 30-40K people clicking your links everyday, how can you not have a piece that you call your own at least once a week?

I've tried to take away the personal attack here and focus on his work. I'd be interested to hear what else you have to say.

I admit I didn't read your last Walker sucks thread. It seems you do have the same opinion now as you did then.

But as Rob pointed out, those divisional blogs perhaps aren't for the more involved fan. I don;t think they ever were. I never read it: I didn't when the very tender Tim Graham wrote it either. Technically, it's not a strict reporting position--these guys are obviously encouraged to provide opinion also. Therefore, it's hard for me to get so worked up over him taking a jab at Kolb's trotting out the "hey, I'm here to win a Superbowl" cliche.

Someone points out that the deal is a good value for the Bills, and your response is to talk about how bad Nix has been. Sorry, but that looks an awful lot like someone using any excuse to criticize. How about you wait until after the draft to criticize Nix's 2013 off-season approach to the QB position?

Or is that asking too much?

Didn't you say that last year? In 2010? Anyway, it's asking a lot. Can you imagine the reaction on this board if back in October someone predicted that Fitz would be dumped in the off-season and the guy who they were bringing in to replace him was going to be.....Kevin Kolb?

With Fitz and Gailey done, they'll get a real tryout. But at least they're cheap.

Name one other fan base taking this solace in their upcoming QB situation.

Didn't you say that last year? In 2010? Anyway, it's asking a lot. Can you imagine the reaction on this board if back in October someone predicted that Fitz would be dumped in the off-season and the guy who they were bringing in to replace him was going to be.....Kevin Kolb?

I don't honestly remember every word I said, but I can tell you that I didn't expect much activity on the QB front unless they felt someone was a premier player.

And your post is once again disingenuous. If you told me that the guy to replace Fitz was Kolb, yes, I'd be underwhelmed. If you told me that they were bringing in Kolb (EDIT: on the cheap, no less) to compete with a high draft pick, then my reaction would be decidedly different.

Something tells me you recognize the duality of your post.

Edited by thebandit27

Besides being cheap, I believe Kolb will be an upgrade to Fitz. Same for Jackson. Both have the arm strength Fitz lacks. And removing Gailey's schizo play-calling should help. Still need to draft a QB and I think this time Nix will finally do it. Will this be a crap QB class like 2009 and 2010, or will Nix get lucky like SF and Seattle did in getting QB's outside the top-2 who have had success?

I don't honestly remember every word I said, but I can tell you that I didn't expect much activity on the QB front unless they felt someone was a premier player.

And your post is once again disingenuous. If you told me that the guy to replace Fitz was Kolb, yes, I'd be underwhelmed. If you told me that they were bringing in Kolb (EDIT: on the cheap, no less) to compete with a high draft pick, then my reaction would be decidedly different.

Not to interrupt you two, but are you saying that you were ready to dump Fitzpatrick after week 4 of last season? That would have been seen as somewhat out on a limb at the time seeing as the Bills were 2-2 and the talk was about how they could still make the playoffs as a wildcard after getting spanked by the Patriots. Not saying you weren't done with Fitz, but many weren't at that point yet.

Not to interrupt you two, but are you saying that you were ready to dump Fitzpatrick after week 4 of last season? That would have been seen as somewhat out on a limb at the time seeing as the Bills were 2-2 and the talk was about how they could still make the playoffs as a wildcard after getting spanked by the Patriots. Not saying you weren't done with Fitz, but many weren't at that point yet.

I've re-read my posts to WEO, and I cannot possibly fathom how you came up with that impression.

I admit I didn't read your last Walker sucks thread. It seems you do have the same opinion now as you did then.

But as Rob pointed out, those divisional blogs perhaps aren't for the more involved fan. I don;t think they ever were. I never read it: I didn't when the very tender Tim Graham wrote it either. Technically, it's not a strict reporting position--these guys are obviously encouraged to provide opinion also. Therefore, it's hard for me to get so worked up over him taking a jab at Kolb's trotting out the "hey, I'm here to win a Superbowl" cliche.

I'll disagree on the "more involved" fan angle. While you may call Tim Graham whiny, he was still a good informative read. He broke stories. I'll also point to Sando out in the NFC West, who always puts on good reporting - even though its not the Bills I'll still read his pieces because they're well thought out and he usually throws some analytics in there. I'll add also the AFC South and NFC East guys aren't half bad either. There's plenty of places to get news on the Bills, so hopefully people vote with their feet and ESPN wises up soon about Walker.

I'll disagree on the "more involved" fan angle. While you may call Tim Graham whiny, he was still a good informative read. He broke stories. I'll also point to Sando out in the NFC West, who always puts on good reporting - even though its not the Bills I'll still read his pieces because they're well thought out and he usually throws some analytics in there. I'll add also the AFC South and NFC East guys aren't half bad either. There's plenty of places to get news on the Bills, so hopefully people vote with their feet and ESPN wises up soon about Walker.

Tim was more "informative" to Bills fans because he's a Buffalo guy and had some background knowledge of the Bills. I would bet that Fans in NE, NYC and Miami would have found Timmy quite clueless about their teams. That said, Tim's level of snark towards the Bills was higher than any of the other AFC East teams, IMHO.

Bottom line for me is that these ESPN Blogs are fairly useless. Any actual news or info posted there was already previously reported elsewhere.

OK, in week 4 or 5 if I suggested that we would dump Fitz and pick up Kolb to compete with one of the QBs from a draft that every seems to agree sucks for QB, what would decidedly different reaction have been (back then, of course).

Besides being cheap, I believe Kolb will be an upgrade to Fitz. Same for Jackson. Both have the arm strength Fitz lacks. And removing Gailey's schizo play-calling should help. Still need to draft a QB and I think this time Nix will finally do it. Will this be a crap QB class like 2009 and 2010, or will Nix get lucky like SF and Seattle did in getting QB's outside the top-2 who have had success?

Almost 2 years ago, you wrote this; "he has high bust potential."

But I agree that removing Gailey as OC (sorry to all of you "Megamind"fans out there, wherever you went...) may improve the hopes of the offense. My only reservation is that the offense is going to be run by Shawn Payton's Curtis Modkins--and HIS Curtis Modkins.

My only reservation is that the offense is going to be run by Shawn Payton's Curtis Modkins--and HIS Curtis Modkins.

This is just negativity for negativity's sake. Coaches have to start somewhere. Sean Payton was Jim Fassel's Curtis Modkins at one point.

Devil's advocate or just disagreeable with a perpetual negative outlook? I can't tell.

This is just negativity for negativity's sake. Coaches have to start somewhere. Sean Payton was Jim Fassel's Curtis Modkins at one point.

Devil's advocate or just disagreeable with a perpetual negative outlook? I can't tell.

Somewhat of a devil's advocate. But our last 2 coaches ended their careers here. In 6 seasons. I hope Marrone is a great coach--and he may be. But there is ample reason to be wary of Marrone/Hackett. From Syracuse. Their combined jacket is a bit slim. So all we have is hope and hope is run ragged by the Bills FO (and this FO is no different than the last FO).

Almost 2 years ago, you wrote this; "he has high bust potential."

With that team and contract, sure he had high bust potential. He's got a good chance of doing nothing in Buffalo. Which is why I still favor drafting a QB somewhere in the draft. The question is, is this a 2009/2010 draft for QB's, or a 2011/2012 draft? And if it's the latter, can the Bills get lucky with a QB?

But I agree that removing Gailey as OC (sorry to all of you "Megamind"fans out there, wherever you went...) may improve the hopes of the offense. My only reservation is that the offense is going to be run by Shawn Payton's Curtis Modkins--and HIS Curtis Modkins.

Maybe having Modkins actually call the plays would have been better for the Bills?

And it's actually a 1-year $3M deal with an option (i.e. if he doesn't get cut) for another year at $3.1M.

per profootballtalk.com. 1mil signing bonus, 100k workout bonus, 250k roster bonuses and base salary of 1.65mil. With 6.5mil in escalators and incentives. I like this deal now. Im glad a lot of money was wrapped up in incentives. I like kolb for about 2mil a year with the roster bonuses in there. And I believe we have the option to cut him on the 3rd day to save another 1mil signing bonus if cut before 3rd day of 2014 year

The only thing more laughable than Kolb calling the Bills a Super Bowl team is James Walker calling himself a writer.

Because he upset you?

Anyway, this Walker certainly has had more success as a professional writer than Kolb has had as a professional football player--let alone SB aspirant.

Have you ever read James Walker?

Do you feel you have the ability to recognize a person's writing skills? I'm doubting that you do based on your post.

The very reminder that someone who writes and thinks as poorly as James Walker can have a national platform angered me to where I used more venom and less skill in making my point.

If he had lauded Kolb for the SB comment, you would not have disparaged his writing skills.

To answer your question, it's easy to spot poor writing skills. You are confusing that with content and/or opinion, which in this case you disagree with.

Successful professional writer are those who get someone to pay for their writing. The more prestigious (the term can be used loosely) the payer is one way to judge a writer's success. Is he George Will (blathering on about baseball---that is TRULY bad stuff!)? No, but this guy has made his way from a local paper to ESPN. Kolb has bounced from the Eagles to the Cards to the Bills--a team desperate for a starting QB. Yet he will still likely be fighting a rookie and another journeyman for the starting position. I would say Kolb's trajectory has not been consistently upward.

No you're confused because you think you can read my mind.

Remind me how many guys play quarterback in the NFL as marginal starters versus how many hack bloggers are employed by ESPN and its equivalents?

You're hopelessly off on this.

I'd bet many of us make more than James Walker. His position as a divisional blogger is not prestigious. Being employed by ESPN in-and-of-itself is not prestigious.

If he wrote for the Boston Globe sports section you might have an argument.

James Walker versus Kevin Kolb? He'd compare more accurately with Aaron Corp.

I don't read Walker very much and I don't usually go through comments sections but I had a theory that he was slamming Kolb/Bills because he's been getting unfavorable comments from our fans.

Is this possible?

Actually, it's not that hard. You've made it clear that you are atttacking the guy for the content of his piece on Kolb, not his ability to write for public consumption. You don't read him much. You don't read the comments of others regarding his work. Yet you have a theory that he slams the Bills because of these comments that you haven't read.

Well, if your argument is that Kolb (and" many of us") makes more money doing what he does than Walker does writing for ESPN, then I guess you got me there.....

Relatively very few people read the sports section of the Boston Globe, compared to ESPN's readership. I think you would almost have to concede that. And nowadays, page hits and readership are the measures of "prestige".

I guess the simplest way I can put this is that, for a sports writer, having a regular gig on the dominant national sports outlet is about as good as you can aspire to. Bouncing from marginal team to marginal team (3 times) as a marginal starter is not the pinnacle of the NFL QB position.

Again you are wrong that I'm attacking Walker due to disagreeing/being displeased with what he wrote. I know this was your first response and that you never recant on a first response but you are dead wrong. You can believe what you want to believe or you can do something novel and believe what I'm telling you. If you think I'm being disingenuous that's your prerogative.

You cannot read my mind had you read my thoughts on other writers and/or their works on this forum you wouldn't question my word in this matter.

I am telling you again in no uncertain terms that mediocrities that have a wide audience are offensive to me. There are plenty of sportswriters/news anchors/political commentators that I disagree with but I still respect.

James Walker is not one of these people. Every time I run across one of his pieces it's clear that he's a poor thinker, lazy, uninspired, unoriginal, and that his writing is so conventional and robotic that any 8th grader could do the same which is to say, crossing Ts and dotting Is. Kudos to Walker that he can construct sentences which would pass muster on a regents exam essay.

Perhaps you have a problem with recognizing the difference between good writing and bad. In fact your contention that Walker's writing is good says everything on this subject.

I don't claim to be a writer but I can tell you with 100% certainty that not only am I a much more prolific writer than Walker (his daily output appears to be a lazy, uninspired pittance), I produce much more conscientious works and am a much better writer than he is.

But don't think this is about me.

The reason I come to The Stadium Wall is because there are SO MANY great writers and great thinkers here. I'm tempted to list them but I'm afraid I'd forget one or two and I'd hate for that to happen. I would say that there are easily 50 posters here whose writing skills would relegate Mr. Walker's to the minor leagues. And there are perhaps 100 posters here who put much more effort and research into their writing than does Mr. Walker. While Walker has syndicated sports statistics services spoon fed to him (and he still apparently doesn't use them) we have posters here who on top of their busy lives, actually spend the time and calories to research subjects and present their findings TO US!!! How !@#$ing humbling is that?

To your quibbling about how much I read/don't read Walker, I'm not sure of your point. I only need to read a few paragraphs to be able to judge a writer (or a thinker). Again maybe you don't recognize good writing. Many people don't. It's not a crime, it's more like a misdemeanor.

Whether writing a blog for ESPN is or isn't prestigious might be a subjective discussion. I can only say for my part that I would rather write for one of the great sports sections in America (Boston Globe), or for a publication or website like Grantland which actually values, fosters, and sells great writing. Literary journalism is a dying art in this country and it's admirable, commendable and important that great writers can still ply their trade through some of these media outlets. Walker couldn't write his way out of a paper bag even if equipped with a good reading light and an endless supply of pens but yes, he does work for ESPN. If you want to believe that a marginally-paid, bottom-of-the-roster hack like James Walker has a prestigious job go right ahead.

By that logic you could also say that ESPN Sports Anchor Kevin Connors is a great sports journalist but you'd be wrong.

I'll close by saying that only a person who doesn't understand broadcasting and journalism could think that James Walker is more accomplished in his field than Kevin Kolb.

Or a person who doesn't understand NFL football.

I've re-read my posts to WEO, and I cannot possibly fathom how you came up with that impression.

Really? Let's quote the post and highlight it for you.

You quoted his line about October of this past season and responded to it. So, I was curious if you were honestly that far ahead of the curve on Fitzpatrick or not.

In fact, this post appears to be saying that you aren't sure what you wrote then about Fitzpatrick, but thought the Bills wouldn't make any moves at QB. It then appears to say that you'd be underwhelmed if you knew Fitz would be replaced with Kolb at that time. Which is curious because Kolb was on his hot streak and most Bills fans were still thinking the Bills had a shot at the playoffs in October. Then, it appears to say that if you had known then that a cheap Kolb and an unnamed QB drafted high in the draft would replace Fitzpatrick then you'd have the opposite reaction -- not underwhelmed, but perhaps excited?

And lodged in the midst of this is the word "disingenuous".

Nothing personal, of course, but I don't know where you were going with this particular post and I found it confusing as hell. Sorry for the interrupt.

The effort you put into this post quadruples (at a minimum) the effort I've effort I've ever seen in a Walker "column." Structure is immaterial. There are countless profound lyricists, poets, and authors who have had less command of the language but who have had a much more substantive grasp of content and have made a profound contribution to their field.

Walker is, at best, a middle man in the revolting flood of ESPN megalomania. Because it is said does not make it so. We are a long way from "back, back, back, back, back" and "circling the wagons." ESPN is all style, no substance, and Walker is as an appropriate exhibit A as you could find. I defy anyone to engage him in a discussion of the points he professes to endorse to see how quickly his conjecture breaks down. Actual news sources are rare these days, and ESPN jumped the shark YEARS ago.

Again you are wrong that I'm attacking Walker due to disagreeing/being displeased with what he wrote. I know this was your first response and that you never recant on a first response but you are dead wrong. You can believe what you want to believe or you can do something novel and believe what I'm telling you. If you think I'm being disingenuous that's your prerogative.

You cannot read my mind had you read my thoughts on other writers and/or their works on this forum you wouldn't question my word in this matter.

I am telling you again in no uncertain terms that mediocrities that have a wide audience are offensive to me. There are plenty of sportswriters/news anchors/political commentators that I disagree with but I still respect.

James Walker is not one of these people. Every time I run across one of his pieces it's clear that he's a poor thinker, lazy, uninspired, unoriginal, and that his writing is so conventional and robotic that any 8th grader could do the same which is to say, crossing Ts and dotting Is. Kudos to Walker that he can construct sentences which would pass muster on a regents exam essay.

Perhaps you have a problem with recognizing the difference between good writing and bad. In fact your contention that Walker's writing is good says everything on this subject.

I don't claim to be a writer but I can tell you with 100% certainty that not only am I a much more prolific writer than Walker (his daily output appears to be a lazy, uninspired pittance), I produce much more conscientious works and am a much better writer than he is.

The reason I come to The Stadium Wall is because there are SO MANY great writers and great thinkers here. I'm tempted to list them but I'm afraid I'd forget one or two and I'd hate for that to happen. I would say that there are easily 50 posters here whose writing skills would relegate Mr. Walker's to the minor leagues. And there are perhaps 100 posters here who put much more effort and research into their writing than does Mr. Walker. While Walker has syndicated sports statistics services spoon fed to him (and he still apparently doesn't use them) we have posters here who on top of their busy lives, actually spend the time and calories to research subjects and present their findings TO US!!! How !@#$ing humbling is that?

To your quibbling about how much I read/don't read Walker, I'm not sure of your point. I only need to read a few paragraphs to be able to judge a writer (or a thinker). Again maybe you don't recognize good writing. Many people don't. It's not a crime, it's more like a misdemeanor.

Whether writing a blog for ESPN is or isn't prestigious might be a subjective discussion. I can only say for my part that I would rather write for one of the great sports sections in America (Boston Globe), or for a publication or website like Grantland which actually values, fosters, and sells great writing. Literary journalism is a dying art in this country and it's admirable, commendable and important that great writers can still ply their trade through some of these media outlets. Walker couldn't write his way out of a paper bag even if equipped with a good reading light and an endless supply of pens but yes, he does work for ESPN. If you want to believe that a marginally-paid, bottom-of-the-roster hack like James Walker has a prestigious job go right ahead.

By that logic you could also say that ESPN Sports Anchor Kevin Connors is a great sports journalist but you'd be wrong.

I'll close by saying that only a person who doesn't understand broadcasting and journalism could think that James Walker is more accomplished in his field than Kevin Kolb.

Or a person who doesn't understand NFL football.

Not sure what happened here. The above is my endorsement of SJBF post, below the post I was responding to. Reference only. WTH?

not only am I a much more prolific writer than Walker (his daily output appears to be a lazy, uninspired pittance), I produce much more conscientious works and am a much better writer than he is.

Yeah, right.

It's must be a gift to be able to judge a writer's entire body of work in only a few paragraphs. Perhaps I don't share your gift, although I think I'm getting better at it--after reading your above post (may I suggest an editor?).

But, no, I don't think Walker is a great writer or even a good one. But he writes in a style for which he is paid for and which works in his forum and that his employer seeks. If you aspire to write for The New Yorker or the Atlantic Monthly (serious "prestige" publications, no doubt), you certainly will need skills far more significant than Walker likely possesses--but very few people will read you, relatively. Like it or not (and I understand you don't), ESPN is the nation's premiere (i.e. most watched/read) source of sports information. Having an outlet for your writing on this ubiquitous blob of info is unquestionably a pinnacle for a former local sportswriter. You just can't credibly claim otherwise. .

Grantland is not really all straight journalism. It's often pure opinion. Some contributors are outstanding. Others seem to be getting paid by the pound.

Kolb hasn't reached the pinnacle of his profession, that's all I said. In fact, it is quite possible he may end up as the backup to a rookie on a team with a history of bad QBs. You surely know this, yet you tossed in the gratuitous dig regarding football knowledge. White flag.

Edited by Mr. WEO