Bills officially sign QB Kevin Kolb

No you're confused because you think you can read my mind.

Remind me how many guys play quarterback in the NFL as marginal starters versus how many hack bloggers are employed by ESPN and its equivalents?

You're hopelessly off on this.

I'd bet many of us make more than James Walker. His position as a divisional blogger is not prestigious. Being employed by ESPN in-and-of-itself is not prestigious.

If he wrote for the Boston Globe sports section you might have an argument.

James Walker versus Kevin Kolb? He'd compare more accurately with Aaron Corp.

As I laid out over in a previous thread, James Walker is the WORST. The AFC East blog may not be the most prestigious place in sportswriting, but it has a built-in audience and should carry enough weight to develop a few sources within the teams he covers. Walker kicks his gift horse in the mouth. Never an original thought out of this idiot. The only positive out of this article is that it looks like Walker finally had some negative pushback in his comments section. Hopefully he gets canned soon.

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/155985-espn-james-walker/page__hl__%2Bjames+%2Bwalker

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As I laid out over in a previous thread, James Walker is the WORST. The AFC East blog may not be the most prestigious place in sportswriting, but it has a built-in audience and should carry enough weight to develop a few sources within the teams he covers. Walker kicks his gift horse in the mouth. Never an original thought out of this idiot. The only positive out of this article is that it looks like Walker finally had some negative pushback in his comments section. Hopefully he gets canned soon.

http://forums.twobil..._+james +walker

I don't read Walker very much and I don't usually go through comments sections but I had a theory that he was slamming Kolb/Bills because he's been getting unfavorable comments from our fans.

Is this possible?

I don't read Walker very much and I don't usually go through comments sections but I had a theory that he was slamming Kolb/Bills because he's been getting unfavorable comments from our fans.

Is this possible?

Maybe? I've looked at comments in his articles before and I've never seen hate like I saw on this one. The funny thing is its not just coming from Bills fans. I saw other fans chiming in about how JW's a hack and what else is Kolb supposed to say, yada yada. He does seem like someone that would have thin skin, so its possible he's just stoking the flames.

I just wish ESPN would wise up and can this guy. It would be nice to see a fresh perspective on that beat, where the writer would actually INTERVIEW people from the teams he covers and write HIS OWN THOUGHTS on what he sees. The sad thing is this garbage piece was the only time I've seen Walker actually take a position on something.

EDIT: Obviously Walker finally taking a position on something is fine and dandy, but at least use some context here. What else would you want Kolb to say? We're going to suck and I'll end up on IR by week 6? Winning a SB should be the goal of every player in the NFL, or GTFO. If you're going to poke fun at him, I think there was plenty of room in the comments along the lines on "this was the best opportunity to win the SB" instead of "I'm here to win a SB." I'd be fine with calling out a player for a statement like that, since Buffalo obviously does not offer the best opportunity to win a SB. And the fact that Walker acts all melodramatic about "putting more pressure on himself and the Bills" and "many will remember his ill-fated comments" ... give me a break. Again, hopefully this just adds to the evidence that this guy needs to get canned. At least I'll have my fingers crossed.

Edited by TheLynchTrain

Maybe? I've looked at comments in his articles before and I've never seen hate like I saw on this one. The funny thing is its not just coming from Bills fans. I saw other fans chiming in about how JW's a hack and what else is Kolb supposed to say, yada yada. He does seem like someone that would have thin skin, so its possible he's just stoking the flames.

Don't know about the thin skin, but he does come across as someone that doesn't think very highly of the Buffalo Bills organization.

Have you ever read James Walker?

Do you feel you have the ability to recognize a person's writing skills? I'm doubting that you do based on your post.

No you're confused because you think you can read my mind.

Actually, it's not that hard. You've made it clear that you are atttacking the guy for the content of his piece on Kolb, not his ability to write for public consumption. You don't read him much. You don't read the comments of others regarding his work. Yet you have a theory that he slams the Bills because of these comments that you haven't read.

Remind me how many guys play quarterback in the NFL as marginal starters versus how many hack bloggers are employed by ESPN and its equivalents?

You're hopelessly off on this.

I'd bet many of us make more than James Walker. His position as a divisional blogger is not prestigious. Being employed by ESPN in-and-of-itself is not prestigious.

If he wrote for the Boston Globe sports section you might have an argument.

James Walker versus Kevin Kolb? He'd compare more accurately with Aaron Corp.

Well, if your argument is that Kolb (and" many of us") makes more money doing what he does than Walker does writing for ESPN, then I guess you got me there.....

Relatively very few people read the sports section of the Boston Globe, compared to ESPN's readership. I think you would almost have to concede that. And nowadays, page hits and readership are the measures of "prestige".

I guess the simplest way I can put this is that, for a sports writer, having a regular gig on the dominant national sports outlet is about as good as you can aspire to. Bouncing from marginal team to marginal team (3 times) as a marginal starter is not the pinnacle of the NFL QB position.

Bingo.

If he had lauded Kolb for the SB comment, you would not have disparaged his writing skills.

To answer your question, it's easy to spot poor writing skills. You are confusing that with content and/or opinion, which in this case you disagree with.

Successful professional writer are those who get someone to pay for their writing. The more prestigious (the term can be used loosely) the payer is one way to judge a writer's success. Is he George Will (blathering on about baseball---that is TRULY bad stuff!)? No, but this guy has made his way from a local paper to ESPN. Kolb has bounced from the Eagles to the Cards to the Bills--a team desperate for a starting QB. Yet he will still likely be fighting a rookie and another journeyman for the starting position. I would say Kolb's trajectory has not been consistently upward.

I'm sorry Mrs. Walker, but it's true. Your son isn't a very good writer. I know his resume indicates otherwise, but when you actually read his words you see how spectacularly unspectacular he is. I can only assume he has photos of a high ranking ESPN executive acting like Matt Damon and Michael Douglas doing an HBO movie about Liberace that neither is being paid much to do (which raises an unrelated conundrum, but I digress).

The point is, ESPN's AFC East column was FAR more interesting & informative when the whiny little man-child Tim Graham was writing it.

Edited by Rob's House

Kolb is definitely projected to be our backup. :D

Some of Kolb's contract details: http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/kevin-kolb/

Looks like the deal is....

2 years/6.1m

1m signing bonus

6.9m in incentives(unlisted at this point).

To all those who thought that Kolb's signing would effect our direction regarding the upcoming draft(selecting a QB etc)......it definitely looks like it won't. :thumbsup:

Some of Kolb's contract details: http://www.spotrac.c...lls/kevin-kolb/

2 years/6.1m

1m signing bonus

To all those who thought that Kolb's signing would effect our direction regarding the upcoming draft(selecting a QB etc)......it definitely looks like it won't. :thumbsup:

But, but, but, how will I freak out over the fact that we're overpaying the guy now that I have the actual facts!?

Facts are as dumb as science...

:beer:

NFL am caption this picture: Kolb sitting with head down , hands covering his face

1. If I keep playing like this, I'll end up in Buffalo

2. I just promised the Bills a Super Bowl, I have to stop drinking!

haaaa!

Edited by independent

Some of Kolb's contract details: http://www.spotrac.c...lls/kevin-kolb/

2 years/6.1m

1m signing bonus

From the length of time it took to get a contract signed you had to figure it was heavily incentive based.

Tell me that's not a sweet gig though. Get paid 4 mil the first year and 3 mil for the second to hold a clipboard on the sideline and maybe get in a few games a season.

I know these guys are all competitors at that level and would prefer to play, but damn.

WEO, what's your opinion of Mr. Walker?

I really don't have much of an opinion on him. You probably didn't either until you read his piece mocking a guy who has been a Bills player for 24 hours (and who you didn't give 2 sh**ts about before the Bills signed him).

Someone made the claim that he wrote poorly. I went and read some of his stuff and disagreed that his writing was poor and I concluded that the person making that claim was (like yourself) attacking the message, not how well it was written. If Walker had instead praised Kolb, we wouldn't be having a discussion about what a poor writer he is, now would we?

Looks like a 1-year $2.5M tryout deal to me. Good deal for the Bills.

And Walker is a schlub.

Buddy's "QB Tryout Special"

Vince Young, T Jackson, Kolb....

I really don't have much of an opinion on him. You probably didn't either until you read his piece mocking a guy who has been a Bills player for 24 hours (and who you didn't give 2 sh**ts about before the Bills signed him).

Someone made the claim that he wrote poorly. I went and read some of his stuff and disagreed that his writing was poor and I concluded that the person making that claim was (like yourself) attacking the message, not how well it was written. If Walker had instead praised Kolb, we wouldn't be having a discussion about what a poor writer he is, now would we?

Vince Young, T Jackson, Kolb....

Is there anything you don't criticize?

How is:

Vince Young, T Jackson, Kolb..

a condemnation of the Walker criticism?

It's more an observation of the manner in which Buddy has now spent 4 offseasons (to this point) addressing the starting QB position.

Nothing to criticize there....