Bills officially sign QB Kevin Kolb

I don't have a problem with it. The starting QB is going to be pretty much an open competition, even if they draft a QB. I don't think Kolb's price tag was all that high based on the story, since it said "as high as" 13 mil, which means it's based on incentives.

Why not? The more the merrier. Let 'em fight it out in camp.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No. Neither was a journeyman.

Warner was an instant superstar with the Rams.....and Hasselbeck went straight from being a young backup behind Favre, to being a solid starter at the Seahawks.

Oh, OK, I get it - your def. of journeyman is the thing. You'd say Schaub went straight from being a young backup in Atl to being a solid starter at Texas, and Young was the annointed starter, not a journeyman.

Outstanding signing. People were drooling all over this guy a couple years ago. Keep him healthy and we have a starting QB. A good one, too. Excellent. Draft some body in the 2nd and bring him along.

I think this is the plan Bray or Wilson in the second?

No. Neither was a journeyman.

Warner was an instant superstar with the Rams.....and Hasselbeck went straight from being a young backup behind Favre, to being a solid starter at the Seahawks.

I would still argue that Warner was a journeyman. After his great Superbowl year he slumped and was cut, went to the Giants and lost out on the job to Eli manning, went to the Cardinals, lost out on the job to Matt Leinhart, and then led them to the playoffs in '08 and the Superbowl in '09. If that doesn't speak to being a journeyman, I don't know what does.

Oh, OK, I get it - your def. of journeyman is the thing. You'd say Schaub went straight from being a young backup in Atl to being a solid starter at Texas, and Young was the annointed starter, not a journeyman.

I think the term journeyman implies playing on more than two teams.

i honeslly dont see kolb as changing anything regarding the bills draft strategy. hes just another guy in the mix for the starting job. but if smith or barkley is there at eight the bills are still drafting them. heck, theres probably at least one other qb they might still take at eight - AND i could see them drafting two qbs and cutting tjax. so yeah nuthin really changes at all

Correct with Schaub.....he was backing up behind #1 pick QBs.

.......but Young might be the exception to prove the rule(as they say). Technically he wasn't a journeyman but he certainly started a full season at TB producing crappy stats before moving teams and becoming a star. I remember hearing that the TB GM(or HC?) didn't want him & that was the main reason for his move......but I'm working from hearsay memory.

It would also be fair to look at that era of QB play in that it was rare for a QB to achieve good stats in their first year of starting.....and also that there were great QBs who simply didn't put up good stats due to their team(ala Elway), but everybody knew they were great regardless of stats.

I would be interested if anybody here remembers if Steve Young showed signs of greatness while at TB.....or if he appeared to be just another young player with potential. Anybody?

We don't need a guy like Kolb. He's an average QB and could be a stopgap, but, he's been pretty brittle... not sure if it's b/c of his size, strength or his O-line letting him killed back there, but, like in most cases, it's a combination of all three.

I think what we're seeing here is that they are not liking any of this year's QB's and are going to draft other positions and hang in with stop-gaps for 2013.

i honeslly dont see kolb as changing anything regarding the bills draft strategy. hes just another guy in the mix for the starting job. but if smith or barkley is there at eight the bills are still drafting them. heck, theres probably at least one other qb they might still take at eight - AND i could see them drafting two qbs and cutting tjax. so yeah nuthin really changes at all

The Bills now have their date for the Prom...but keeping their eye out in case a "hottie" becomes available.

Happy Easter to all. So, I wake up to the Kolb news. No big deal. He won't play much, which is a good thing for both the bills and kolb.

He's been rode hard and put away wet. So, relax folks, the Bills know he's one hit away from retirement, so they aren't putting all their easter eggs in one basket.

This move serves two purposes.

1) Keeps other teams focus away from the Bills taking a qb at #8.

2) Makes it a lock the Bills take Nassib at #8. (Hey... they need a qb that's all about the "W" can take a hit and shrug it off)

So the signing is a smokescreen for hiding our plan to take a QB at 8 AND also makes it obvious that we will pick Nassib at 8? Uhh...ok. Well looks like you have blown this ingenious plan.

As for Kolb being ridden hard and put away wet....he has 21 starts in 6 years.

Not THE answer, but fills a hole for now. Gives us flexibility to draft bpa in one of a handful of positions instead of reaching on a qb. I'd still like to draft a qb in one of the first three rounds every year until we find the guy, though.

I think it is a good signing. Kolb is better than Flynn or A. Smith. I hope the Bills don't waste their #1 pick on a QB in this year's draft. None of the QB's in this year's draft are much better than a JP Losman. Next year there will be several good choices for a franchise QB.

Picking any QB in the draft at any point that you don't think has the legitimate upside to lead a championship run is a wasted pick. A first round QB who can't cut it becomes an expensive back-up. Unlike the other skill positions you get virtually no on field value from a #2. The league is filled with WRs, CBs, RBs, and LBrs that are #3 or worse on their respective depth charts that still can contribute positive plays in their limited roles. As a #2 QB they tend to contribute very little to any Super Bowl effort with very few exceptions. As for Kaepernick he is clearly a good starting QB that emerged from a back-up roll. The thing is though, the 9rs drafted him with the belief that he could get it done and posed little risk being picked #3. For the Bills to draft a QB at 8 just to pick a QB would likely lead to a Losman type of pick-up. Manuel is the only QB I like in this draft and I think he is a second rounder at best, although he is likely to go early based on the desperation for QBs by most teams. With Kolb and Jackson, the Bills at the very least have 2 QBs that have experience with West Coast terminology and concepts to get through the season and help install the offense.

He does not. Would he fit yours?

Not even close.

I would be interested if anybody here remembers if Steve Young showed signs of greatness while at TB.....or if he appeared to be just another young player with potential. Anybody?

Had season tickets on the 50 yard line. Steve Young was definitely not the problem with that team.

Comparing Kolb to Young and Brees is like comparing Rob Johnson to Peyton Manning or Brett Favre.