DeadSpin - Convo Between Nix and Tampa GM

I don't have an issue with anything Buddy said, but it is a concern that he is so out-of-touch with modern technology that he called the "Tampa GM" back dozens of times. A guy like Belacheat could easily manipulate him for info that could hurt the Bills' plan.

I'll be quite happy when the announcement is made that he's passing the torch to Whaley.

Edited by ChevyVanMiller

• Replies 370
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A. I would have a plan. I would have 2 or 3 plans.

B. I would not share it with someone who could directly affect any of my plans.

The thing I like about the Seahawks is they know what they want, then go get it. Buffalo's plans: Trent Edwards. Nope. Cut him. Ryan Fitz. 5 games. Pay the man. Oops. He sucks. Cut him?? 3/4. 4/3. 3/4. Multiple.

Even Buddy saying "we're all set at OT". Good god...it's frustrating.

I'm not sure I would take his quote verbatim - I'm sure he has SOME plan and to your point probably a few:

- Get Fitz to restructure

- Cut him

- Keep him at the current rate

- And of course draft a QB

Seattle knew what they wanted - they traded for Flynn then found that they bottled lightning w Wilson and benched Flynn! Soooooo, really it's the same kinda thing except for the next guy they chose actually worked out (unlike Fitz).

Just want to throw it out there that its not like it was between Buddy and Russ Brandon...where they would be more likely to talk honestly and open... this was between two people in a form of negotiation...so anything they said could be posturing

For the most part they sounded pretty honest to eachother...but they both have an agenda and want the upperhand...

anything they told eachother would be known by other GMs pretty quickly regardless of the phone tap

Edited by CherryCoke

A couple of a******s broke a few federal laws with no chance of profit. That is the only thing stupid about this in my opinion. Nix stated the OBVIOUS. Fitz has proven to be a backup. He will take a pay cut or he is gone. Isn't that what most of these threads are about anyway. If the call was not illegally recorded we would probably never of know about the call in the first place. No franchise QB=bad GM. Franchise QB=good GM. What a revelation. :beer:

I'm not sure I would take his quote verbatim - I'm sure he has SOME plan and to your point probably a few:

- Get Fitz to restructure

- Cut him

- Keep him at the current rate

- And of course draft a QB

Seattle knew what they wanted - they traded for Flynn then found that they bottled lightning w Wilson and benched Flynn! Soooooo, really it's the same kinda thing except for the next guy they chose actually worked out (unlike Fitz).

this board wouldve imploded with them trading for whitehurst, signing jackson, signing flynn, benching flynn....

eventually they hit on a guy though.

"We're still struggling here with our quarterback...We're not really struggling--he's going to have to do something,

or we'll have to."

"We just can't afford to pay that kind of money for a guy who's fighting for probably a backup job."

Just do it Buddy..............Cut Fitz already............

:thumbsup::worthy:

Except he wasn't extended under the current circumstances. Shame on Nix for not evaluating Fitz on yet-to-happen games/performances. He was re-signed after a huge comeback win, and a win over the Patriots*. What evidence had Fitz given them in a Bills uniform, after steady improvements from 2010 through the beginning of 2011, that he was destined to tank.

It's really easy for the hammers among us to say "he's always sucked, we should have know he always will suck." When you spin every situation to the negative (something you, GG, are frequently guilty of), you're bound to be right every once in a while. You're likely to pound a nail here and there. Bra-!@#$ing-vo for accurately predicting the future this time.

it's not hard to spin things in a negative fashion when you look objectively at the team and the record under Nix's guard. I checked my rosy glasses years ago. But go ahead and do a search and you'll find that I was happy when Nix came back to the scouting department, but not so when he took over the GM role. So far he hasn't proved me wrong.

I also don't have much problem with Fitz's contract extension at the time it was done, but I have a lot of problems with how the position has been handled since October 2011.

I think Buddy is an incompetent GM, and he's done nothing to disprove it. The basic thing that he doesn't have the Bucs GM's number in his "rolodex" is mind blowing.