Bills interested in Dannell Ellerbe?

I don't think anyone is saying that Ellerbe would be the final piece, at least I'm not saying that.

Our LB corps is so poor and we need to get the position addressed desperately.

I think the Bills should sign a LB like Ellerbe in free agency and draft a LB in the first or second round.

Depends on the number for me.

I don't think anyone is saying that Ellerbe would be the final piece, at least I'm not saying that.

Our LB corps is so poor and we need to get the position addressed desperately.

I think the Bills should sign a LB like Ellerbe in free agency and draft a LB in the first or second round.

Totally agree. The idea of signing a guy like Elllerbe, who has already demonstrated he can be a 3-down ILB in a Pettine-esque scheme, gives me confidence that we should see better things in the Marrone/Pettine era.

Most of my recent posts have been focused on how less-than-marginal I believe Kelvin Sheppard has been, in what few could argue is one of the worst recent stretches of defense we have seen the Bills play. So to hear that we have likely made it a priority to take a FA shot at the heir apparent to Ray Lewis is music to my ears.

You said "we wont draft a player better than Ellerbe".

So you are saying that since the Bills haven't drafted anyone great in the last few years , the Bills will never be able to draft anyone better than the great UDFA one year wonder Ellerbe...Got it.

Great insight

We are talking about this year, so why put "never" in my post where it didn't appear and doesn't belong. But, yes, I am saying there is only evidence that this FO has no clue as to how to draft a legitmate superior starting LB. You can't dispute this. Maybe someday another group of men will be able to draft such a player.

Let me put it another way for you. If you could look into the future of this draft and season and could select the LB that played as well as Ellerbe did this year, wouldn't you pick him? Of course you would.

Well, you can't see into the future, but you don't have to. Ellerbe is available--I'm guessing for, oh, something less than 100 million (50 million guaranteed)--so why not make him an offer?

http://www.baltimorebeatdown.com/2013/3/2/4057804/flaccos-low-2013-cap-hit-opens-doors-for-ravens

Not so fast on Ellerbe: "Well, seems as if, as usual with all things Ravens, everyone was wrong again. With Flacco making a huge, blockbuster deal and becoming, in theory until Monday, the highest paid player in the game with a six year 120 million dollar plus deal of which 60 million is guaranteed, the team still found a way to keep him at a low cap number over the next season or two so they can survive another player purge for the moment.

We already know that Ray Lewis and Matt Birk are retiring so we are saving at least 5-6 million more from them. So, hopefully the team is sitting pretty and ready to spend this newly acquired fortune. Their next main priority should be Dannell Ellerbe considering he is a beast and they are thin at inside linebacker. Ed Reed sticking around for another season or two has just become much more a possibility. Heck the Ravens might even be able to take a stab at signing another one of their own players or bringing in some free agent talent.

The Baltimore Ravens still might need to tweak a few things with the contracts of Anquan Boldin and Jacoby Jones in hopes that they could be released and re-sign with the team under more "cap-friendly" deals but at least now they have the option of keeping one or both of them if neither of the two will work with them.

Paul Kruger and Cary Williams will most likely still be gone as Kruger is rumored to be looking for somewhere around 10 million a year and Williams wants to be paid as a number one corner which he is not and the Ravens have already paid Lardarius Webb for that. I could be wrong but at least the team has some room to work with this season so, if they don't strike it rich in the draft with young talent at all the positions they need, they can still search the free agent market for guys who have not gotten the contracts they had hoped.. Players that would welcome the idea of coming to the reigning world champions for a bit less money than they were hoping."

The Ravens could still resign Ellerbe given Flacco's low hit against the salary cap this season.

http://www.baltimorebeatdown.com/2013/3/2/4057804/flaccos-low-2013-cap-hit-opens-doors-for-ravens

Not so fast on Ellerbe: "Well, seems as if, as usual with all things Ravens, everyone was wrong again. With Flacco making a huge, blockbuster deal and becoming, in theory until Monday, the highest paid player in the game with a six year 120 million dollar plus deal of which 60 million is guaranteed, the team still found a way to keep him at a low cap number over the next season or two so they can survive another player purge for the moment.

We already know that Ray Lewis and Matt Birk are retiring so we are saving at least 5-6 million more from them. So, hopefully the team is sitting pretty and ready to spend this newly acquired fortune. Their next main priority should be Dannell Ellerbe considering he is a beast and they are thin at inside linebacker. Ed Reed sticking around for another season or two has just become much more a possibility. Heck the Ravens might even be able to take a stab at signing another one of their own players or bringing in some free agent talent.

The Baltimore Ravens still might need to tweak a few things with the contracts of Anquan Boldin and Jacoby Jones in hopes that they could be released and re-sign with the team under more "cap-friendly" deals but at least now they have the option of keeping one or both of them if neither of the two will work with them.

Paul Kruger and Cary Williams will most likely still be gone as Kruger is rumored to be looking for somewhere around 10 million a year and Williams wants to be paid as a number one corner which he is not and the Ravens have already paid Lardarius Webb for that. I could be wrong but at least the team has some room to work with this season so, if they don't strike it rich in the draft with young talent at all the positions they need, they can still search the free agent market for guys who have not gotten the contracts they had hoped.. Players that would welcome the idea of coming to the reigning world champions for a bit less money than they were hoping."

The Ravens could still resign Ellerbe given Flacco's low hit against the salary cap this season.

Ellerbee or Kruger. I think one of them will be gone and one retained. Like the article says, Kruger will be looking for a monster contract. Is he worth 10 million a year? While someone pay him 10 mill a year? Hard to say. If I were Ellerbee, I'd stay in Baltimore.

Ellerbee or Kruger. I think one of them will be gone and one retained. Like the article says, Kruger will be looking for a monster contract. Is he worth 10 million a year? While someone pay him 10 mill a year? Hard to say. If I were Ellerbee, I'd stay in Baltimore.

$10M a year is a hell of a lot to pay the one-dimensional, high-motor, lunch pail (not that there's anything wrong with that) Kruger, very good at rushing the QB, not so good against the run.. Ellerbe is a stud-in the-making & would be a GREAT pick-up at a much-lower price IF he becomes available. Edited by Rico

Win or lose?

Man, that is a tough criteria to judge one of 53 players on. 3 sacks in one game is impressive. Was it his fault that the offense was completely inept that day? Football is a "system" game and a team is only as good as the whole system (all the players together). To single out Mario Williams' impressive game and say it "wasn't good enough" because the rest of the team couldn't play up to his standard that day is questionable.

I don't understand the mentality that is prevalent here that wants to say that all of the players are horrible and that it is as simple as "wins and losses". We all know that the bottom line is wins and losses, but that doesn't mean that all of the players are horrible or had horrible days when the team loses. To some extent, I get the frustration that the Bills paid WIlliams a huge sum of money to come in and help turn the team around, so expectations were high. However, to truly expect one player to turn an entire team around - no matter how much he is paid - is really questionable.

I agree that WIlliams disappointed early in the year, but after he had his wrist surgery, he played quite well (IMHO). NFL football is a very violent and physical game. Injuries can and do affect players performances.

"Baseless", huh? Let's see...Nigel Bradham, Tank Carder, Kelvin Sheppard, Chris White, Arthur Moats, Danny Batten........all drafted by our current brain trust in the last 3 years alone.

I hope yours was sarcasm..

Only Kelvin Sheppard was drafted as high as the 3rd round. Bradham (4th), Carder (5th?), White (6th), Moats (5th?) and Battan (6th) were all long-shots to contribute much. If you don't believe me, go back 2-3 years and look at the players drafted by most teams in the 4th round on. I know that if you look at all 32 picks in each of those rounds, you might find a good starter, but on-balance, most 4th round picks on are lucky to stick around 3-4 years in the league.

You forgot one position... the single most important position of 3-4 defense...Nose Tackle. Without a bonafide one(Dareus is not one) this defense won't be much better.

our own defensive cordinator has said we're not a 34 defense. He even said its fans trying to pidgin hole the new bills d as 34 or 43. We are to be an attacking defense, that's multiple front, dictated by the opponent.

Also, a lot of 34's don't have a fat guy up front. Dallas had 305lb Ratliff, and he went to the pro bowl.

Paul Kruger is a situational pass rusher who's started in 7 of 51 career games in his 4-year career. His career-high 9 sacks last year give him 15.5 sacks for his career.

Dannell Ellerbe is also a 4-year vet who has played in 46 games, starting 14 of them. In those 4 years he has 5.5 sacks (4.5 last season), 1 int, 4 passes defense, and 1 forced fumble.

I wonder how much these guys are gonna cost?

Their career trajectories maybe going upwards but purely based on the numbers so far, the track record is pretty thin.

It just illustrates how problematic free agency is because in truth, either of these guys could be expensive busts.

Look, you can separate the Mario stats and justify it any way you want. My comment was, on the whole, he did not make the Bills defense better.

Ok fine. Bring in Ellerbe. Pay him $5m/year. Lets roll the dice that he's worth that figure without Ngata in front of him and flanked by A SB winning defense. I don't think it's the right way to build from many angles.

First of all. Ngata does not play NT. The Ravens don`t have a good NT. And the other positions on the Bills D-line are very good. So if there is any drop off, it`s not that big.

Secondly. With the 31st ranked run defense, Mario Williams had few 3rd and long opportunitys to really get after it. Improve the run defense and Williams should get more sacks. And the defense had more sacks this year, then they`ve had since 2006 and Mario is part of that.

Signing one free agent, will not put this team in cap trouble. And the Bills are desperate for help at LB.

I think D. Ellerbe has more value than Kruger across the board. Not as dynamic maybe.

I wouldn't mind if we put in some effort to pry him away from the Ravens.

No to Kruger. He would be icing on a cake we havent baked yet.

Paul Kruger is a situational pass rusher who's started in 7 of 51 career games in his 4-year career. His career-high 9 sacks last year give him 15.5 sacks for his career.

Dannell Ellerbe is also a 4-year vet who has played in 46 games, starting 14 of them. In those 4 years he has 5.5 sacks (4.5 last season), 1 int, 4 passes defense, and 1 forced fumble.

Their career trajectories maybe going upwards but purely based on the numbers so far, the track record is pretty thin.

It just illustrates how problematic free agency is because in truth, either of these guys could be expensive busts.

I always go on one thing, the eye test. Watching both guys play, I'm very impressed. I didn't see much of them before this season, but this, both looked to be major talents. Ellerbee would be the best addition, much because he will come much cheaper and plays the position we need most on our D IMO, MLB. While I'd really like to add a pass rusher via the draft or FA, filling the MLB spot with a talented 3 down guy remains our biggest need. We have 1 great pass rusher in Mario and I feel that Anderson has a chance to earn his money this year in our new hybrid scheme. I think he's a good pass rusher when used properly. Lining up in the same spot every play while our defense played the same dam play every down didn't help Anderson. Possibly bringing Merriman back to go with Moats, we have 4 guys that can apply pressure. Then add another pass rusher somewhere in the draft.

Pretty much a wasted thought as I can't see Ellerbee leaving Baltimore.

Edited by NewEra

I always go on one thing, the eye test. Watching both guys play, I'm very impressed. I didn't see much of them before this season, but this, both looked to be major talents. Ellerbee would be the best addition, much because he will come much cheaper and plays the position we need most on our D IMO, MLB. While I'd really like to add a pass rusher via the draft or FA, filling the MLB spot with a talented 3 down guy remains our biggest need. We have 1 great pass rusher in Mario and I feel that Anderson has a chance to earn his money this year in our new hybrid scheme. I think he's a good pass rusher when used properly. Lining up in the same spot every play while our defense played the same dam play every down didn't help Anderson. Possibly bringing Merriman back to go with Moats, we have 4 guys that can apply pressure. Then add another pass rusher somewhere in the draft.

Pretty much a wasted thought as I can't see Ellerbee leaving Baltimore.

I was with you right up till the shawne and arthur comment. That part is just wishful at this point based on previous performances by them. nice thought though

We are talking about this year, so why put "never" in my post where it didn't appear and doesn't belong. But, yes, I am saying there is only evidence that this FO has no clue as to how to draft a legitmate superior starting LB. You can't dispute this. Maybe someday another group of men will be able to draft such a player.

Let me put it another way for you. If you could look into the future of this draft and season and could select the LB that played as well as Ellerbe did this year, wouldn't you pick him? Of course you would.

Well, you can't see into the future, but you don't have to. Ellerbe is available--I'm guessing for, oh, something less than 100 million (50 million guaranteed)--so why not make him an offer?

That's fine, I have no problem at all with putting an offer in for Ellerbe if it's reasonable. IMO you are greatly overvaluing him though (UDFA that has yet to play a full season)...And to say the Bills wouldn't be able to draft a better player because you have been hurt by their choices in the past is ridiculous . You can get defensive and try to justify it all you want, my only point was that suggesting that Ellerbe is better than anyone the Bills might draft is wrong...Which is exactly what you were suggesting.

Edited by Turbosrrgood

I think he would be the main person the Bills would purse...Ellerbe played in a 3-4 , has huge upside and had the best teacher ever in Ray Ray.

I think LB would be the focus in FA. If they dont they will have to go LB heavy in the draft.

We shall see.

I think the best thing for Ellerbe is to re-sign with the Ravens. I do not think he is the next Ray Lewis but is very good.

Kruger wanting 10 mil may happen, but no tin Buffalo.

Incarcerated Bob had to be right about the Bills targeting Ellerbe. Why else would the Ravens do this? Why do Bills officials share their secret plans with Incarcerated Bob?? :wallbash:

PTR

I am hoping that the Bills strategy is to aggressively pursue Ellerbe and Kruger. Force B-more to pick one of the other and then we land whichever one they lose. then depending on which on we get (ILB or OLB) sign Pace or Scott from NYJ fill the other LB spot.

With the trade of Boldin it becomes a bit more possible for Baltimore to retain Ellerbe.

I think that you are exactly correct. I also heard someone say on the radio that the Boldin move was probably a move to make it easier to keep Ellerbe.

Seeing how the Bills have only nobodys at the linebacker position I will be very disappointed if they don't make a run at a stud linebacker.

Also the Bills used to breed linebackers. Now they can't draft one to save their life.

Edited by bmur66