Why is Russ B at the Combine?

Niagara Bill

Well, seeing how the physical drills comprise what, maybe 1/3 of the combine activities, there are lots of reasons for Russ to be there. He doesnt need to watch the 3 cone drill, but you can bet your ass that he's in on the official and unofficial interviews that are conducted. And those are much more important than any measurables.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So he gets the blame if we draft a dud, but he shouldn't be there to see who we draft? :doh:

Maybe thats been the problem, now that he is there to see the guys before hand the draft will improve!

Seriously, I wonder how many other teams have Owners/CEO's/Team Presidents/etc there in attendance to watch the combine.

Some people here take this stuff too seriously, this is similar to the General Managers and owners meetings in other sports, sure they are there for a reason (discuss things, evaluate stuff, etc.) but it is also a get away where they can mingle and speak to other teams head guys in person instead of the phone. If these guys were only there to watch the college kids run drills and lift weights, the league and teams could save a ton of cash and just video tape it all and teams could watch the tape or read their stats online.

No a few weeks ago it was titled "Why is Russ Bradnon at the Senior Bowl"

If I had more time, I'd look it up but am willing to bet this post was started by the same guy!

I'm just guessing here, but I don't think he likes RB too much and keeps posted these dumb threads to critizise him.

First of all, he runs the team and if he wasnt there I'd be getting all bent out of shape.

Second, either I just dreamt this or I'm crazy but this was already talked about a few weeks ago.

People need to calm down.

Russ Brandon has done more damage to the proper functioning of the Buffalo Bills Football team then any other person in the history of the organization in my opinion.

I for one am glad Brandon has put his reputation/job on the line by clearly taking on the head decision making role so when he screws up this time ,

hes done...

Based on which facts ?

This concerns me a lot. He wouldn't know the difference between a football player to his secretary if it wasn't for the dress. (assuming no cross dressing).

He should not been involved in player decisions or selections. If he does then he becomes Ralph 2 and here we go again.

I am sure that Buddy, Doug and the coaching staff do not get involved in the picking commercials or business partners so Brandon should keep out of player decisions. IMHO.

he was the GM when we picked Byrd, Wood, and Levitre (Maybin was a DJ pick).

Someone has to keep Nix from falling in love with mediocrity in the latter rounds.

Edited by Buffalo Barbarian

This concerns me a lot. He wouldn't know the difference between a football player to his secretary if it wasn't for the dress. (assuming no cross dressing).

He should not been involved in player decisions or selections. If he does then he becomes Ralph 2 and here we go again.

I am sure that Buddy, Doug and the coaching staff do not get involved in the picking commercials or business partners so Brandon should keep out of player decisions. IMHO.

Why? This board is filled with people that think they know what the Bills should do (I know that I do). Just because he is there, it doesn't mean he is making personnel decisions. What else should he be doing anyway?

Here's your answer.

"While General Manager Buddy Nix and Assistant GM Doug Whaley are busy interviewing prospects, team President Russ Brandon is spending the NFL Scouting Combine conducting meetings of his own.

Brandon and Jim Overdorf, the team’s senior vice president of football administration, are busy meeting with the agents of the Bills’ 12 unrestricted free agents."

Can I answer any other questions for you?

Clearly we are all too stupid to see what the OP sees: That Russ Brandon is power hungry, narcissistic, micromanaging, know-it-all meddler who has sat around for years, finally wresting all power away from ralph wilson so he can control every single facet of the franchise at all times and surround himself with a gaggle of rubber stamping buffoons to keep us all in the dark while simultaneously satiating his uncontrollable desire for absolute power.

I mean, look at all the evidence people! Oh wait...

his job is not to talk to agents...he has people for that include Jim D and Nix and Whaley. He is the Top guy for all the organization...he is not a Jerry Jones...

Contract talks with agents is the business side, not the football side. Buddy/whaley don't sit there and talk contracts with agents. That is Russ and jim doing all that. those two are the business side, hence the people that handle business transactions, like player contracts.

I have never heard more whimy positions on this board before. Is RB your man?

Remember all the years of Ralph approving the first round draft choice, remember guys getting cut because of Ralph;s input

Remember Polian and John Butler quitting because of Ralphs interference in football matters.

Now Brandon, a marketing guy is involved in selection of players...and you no concerns...there is not elbows to rub here, only football people. Having to be there to learn is scary, he is suppose to learn on the way up not once you reach the top.

leave football decisions to football people

Please tell me where you read this.