Alex Smith--nothing to do w availability next yr

Tcali

I don't know why he wouldn't want a super bowl ring. He'll likely get a chance to start again elsewhere, but nothing tells me he would have wanted to lose the game.

Just to always be able to tell Jim Harbaugh, your plan failed. It was Super Bowl or bust, and your plan busted. I could of won you a SB. It strokes his ego.

Just to always be able to tell Jim Harbaugh, your plan failed. It was Super Bowl or bust, and your plan busted. I could of won you a SB. It strokes his ego.

Smith doesn't seem like that kind of dude. That kind of play wouldn't get him far in the long run, anyway. You are always playing for your next contract in the NFL.

Smith doesn't seem like that kind of dude. That kind of play wouldn't get him far in the long run, anyway. You are always playing for your next contract in the NFL.

I agree, but did you hear Smith's interview on Tuesday? The guy was openly overly bitter. I wouldn't want him on my team after his public pouting fest. And Harbaugh could look back at Smith and say, "you couldn't even get us to the SB." This is a good question though as to whether he wanted a SB ring, or wanted to loose and try to get one on his own. We were debating this last night at the SB party I was at. Only he knows. Personally, I'd want the ring.

Edited by Beerball

If I were AS I may or may not want my team to win, depending on what kind of relationship I had with the other players, but I wouldn't care about the ring at all.

thats incredibly lame, as you would have played a big role in this season, as well as building that team to what it is.

During the power outage coach Cowher was talking about the possibility of putting in Smith & before that i was thinking the same thing, but was also thinking that that could have killed Kapernicks confidence.

It worked out the kid played a good game & he will be a good player for a long time in SF, now if the Bills can get better maybe Boomer along with all the other Bills fans can get their wish of a SB with tha Bills & SF but this time the Bills coming out as the winners !!!

GO BILLS !!!!

Edited by T master

thats incredibly lame, as you would have played a big role in this season, as well as building that team to what it is.

W

You think Bledsoe gets the warm fuzzies when he looks at the ring he got courtesy of Tom Brady? It's one thing to be a role player who contributed along the way, like Bernie Kozar in Dallas, but when you're the starter who gets benches midseason to never see the field again? That ring would be a sore that never heals.

Edited by Rob's House

During the power outage coach Cowher was talking about the possibility of putting in Smith & before that i was thinking the same thing, but was also thinking that that could have killed Kapernicks confidence.

It worked out the kid played a good game & he will be a good player for a long time in SF, now if the Bills can get better maybe Boomer along with all the other Bills fans can get their wish of a SB with tha Bills & SF but this time the Bills coming out as the winners !!!

GO BILLS !!!!

If I recall, the same conversation was had about Drew Bledsoe in the first Tom Brady era super bowl game...

GO BILLS !!!!

I wouldn't say that exactly. If it had really worked out they'd have won. I get your point, that he turned it around & played very well in the second half & capitalized on the opportunities the D & ST gave him, but he did get stopped at the endzone with victory 6 yds away.

W

You think Bledsoe gets the warm fuzzies when he looks at the ring he got courtesy of Tom Brady? It's one thing to be a role player who contributed along the way, like Bernie Kozar in Dallas, but when you're the starter who gets benches midseason to never see the field again? That ring would be a sore that never heals.

theres elements of it being bittersweet but if its more bitter than sweet.... well, ill say i feel sorry for him. he gave a lot to that team and he earned a ring. i know sometimes thats easier said than done, but his life is in an incredibly good spot still today.

theres elements of it being bittersweet but if its more bitter than sweet.... well, ill say i feel sorry for him. he gave a lot to that team and he earned a ring. i know sometimes thats easier said than done, but his life is in an incredibly good spot still today.

I get what you're saying but I couldn't feel less sorry for him. They invested years and a ton of money into him & he was awful. He forced the 49ers to draft a QB. Shaun Hill was a better player than him. Jim Harbaugh is the best QB in football and he probably gave Smith another chance at a big paycheck. Alex Smith is one of the luckiest guys in the NFL.

I get what you're saying but I couldn't feel less sorry for him. They invested years and a ton of money into him & he was awful. He forced the 49ers to draft a QB. Shaun Hill was a better player than him. Jim Harbaugh is the best QB in football and he probably gave Smith another chance at a big paycheck. Alex Smith is one of the luckiest guys in the NFL.

totally missed the boat on what i was trying to say i think(likely my fault).

i dont feel sorry for him in the "poor guy got a bum wrap" sense. like i said, he has an incredibly charmed life today, even without playing lastnight. what i was saying is that it would also be incredibly sad for him if he didnt realize that. hes been gifted the world at his finger tips and hopefully he realizes that he was still really valuable to the guys around him on that sideline. i have no idea if he does or not, but when people with so much good in front of them waste it because they cant see it because things didnt go according to plan..... its disappointing to hear (again, not saying this is him). sure, be a bit bummed about not being on the field but his glass is way more than half full and hopefully he sees it that way, for his own good.

I don't feel sorry for either of them. Bledsoe has a great outlook - he understands how fortunate he was just to play in the league & to make that kind of money. If the worst thing in your life is losing (or sitting) in a football game you've got a pretty gravy life. That's another point altogether. In this particular situation, if I'm Alex Smith, that ring means nothing more to me than a participation trophy.

No offense but this is stupid question. He has plenty of friends on the team and is one play away from being in the game again. If he wasn't giving the niners his full support, then he's a real !@#$ing asswipe

I agree just a ridiculous question. people are not like that at all--deep down;)

Now the character of a man is not whether he wants the team to do well...but would he do anything he could to help them win.

From what I have seen of Alex Smith he would be the type to do anything he could to help the team.----But human nature being what it is--I dont doubt that there is

at least a small part of him that at least didnt give a flying f whether the niners won or not.

Edited by Tcali

He went something like 35-37 passing in his last 2 games. Then gets hurt and loses his job. He was playing good football. He's pissed. If he's not pissed, well, he is pissed, so there's no reason to discuss it.

He went something like 35-37 passing in his last 2 games. Then gets hurt and loses his job. He was playing good football. He's pissed. If he's not pissed, well, he is pissed, so there's no reason to discuss it.

Of course he is pissed. But he has also been a model teammate on the field and in practice from all I have read.

which shows he has class....but i would guess he is not that upset that the niners lost.

I dunno. I would think if you take enough pride in your job that you would feel some ownership of the title for having helped the starter succeed. I am sure, for example, that Frank Reich would have taken a starting job sooner were he in a position to get one, but I am sure he wanted his team to win.

I know it's different because FR wasn't the starter except for in case of injury, but these jobs come and go... titles don't.

Yes..Just ask Mike Wallace...He is going to lose a good chunk of change due to his hold out and ensuing drops.

Of course he is pissed. But he has also been a model teammate on the field and in practice from all I have read.

Drew Bledsoe Part II

The 49ers still made it farther with Kaepernick than they did with Smith. If they "failed" with Kapernick at QB, than they really failed with Smith...

which shows he has class....but i would guess he is not that upset that the niners lost.

Upset may be a strong word, but whatever his issues with the decision and the people who made it...he has been a teammate of those guys for awhile. He was part of the team. There is no benefit to them losing the Super Bowl where after a shaky start, what most people talking about is how his replacement bounced back and how strong his arm is..

• 3 weeks later...

Looks like he has been traded, but to what team remains a mystery

Jason La Canfora@JasonLaCanfora

The 49ers have expressed to others that a deal for QB Alex Smith is effectively complete. Can't be finalized til league year begins 3/12

Jason La Canfora@JasonLaCanfora

so it's not official, both clubs view it at as it's effectively done. I do not know the other team. KC and JAX are 2 teams that make sense

I hope its not us, I hope its not us, I hope its not us, I hope its not us, I hope its not us, I hope its not us, I hope its not us, I hope its not us, I hope its not us...

Or do I? AHHHHHHHH!!!! NOOOO!!! No? Maybe... No.

Edited by sodbuster

I hope its not us, I hope its not us, I hope its not us, I hope its not us, I hope its not us, I hope its not us, I hope its not us, I hope its not us, I hope its not us...

Or do I? AHHHHHHHH!!!! NOOOO!!! No? Maybe... No.

Chiefs makes sense...

http://www.nfl.com/n...ty-chiefs-radar

This does not bode well for those who like Geno Smith. If you're a McNabb clone and Andy Reed would rather have Alex Smith than you...um, that's not good. I'm seriously beginning to think Geno Smith has personality issues.

Edited by 1billsfan

Chiefs makes sense...

http://www.nfl.com/n...ty-chiefs-radar

This does not bode well for those who like Geno Smith. If you're a McNabb clone and Andy Reed would rather have Alex Smith than you...um, that's not good. I'm seriously beginning to think Geno Smith has personality issues.

What makes Geno Smith a McNabb clone? And what makes you think necessarily that Andy Reid, who wasn't actually responsible for drafting McNabb, always saw him as his ideal QB?

What makes Geno Smith a McNabb clone? And what makes you think necessarily that Andy Reid, who wasn't actually responsible for drafting McNabb, always saw him as his ideal QB?

Geno and Donovan are like twins with their physical gifts for the QB position. The weird thing is that I get the same "the whole world is against me" vibe from Geno that Donovan has always had. If this is true and it's official the Chiefs don't want Geno Smith, then that's a huge red flag considering Andy Reed is a QB guru and he'd rather have the pedestrian Alex Smith. Also remember, the money allotment for #1 QB is no longer as substantial.

Much better now

Isn't it interesting how we all agree we need an upgrade at QB, but when an actual name is floated, nearly everyone balks because he's not the "one"?

Getting the "one" is a matter of luck. All I know is Fitz isn't the "one" and Smith could be the "one". I for one am ready to give him a chance, even if it means a big cap hit from Fitz.